Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Vertical Frame Construction Question - Page 2 Toplef10Vertical Frame Construction Question - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Vertical Frame Construction Question - Page 2 I22gcj10Vertical Frame Construction Question - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Vertical Frame Construction Question - Page 2 Toplef10Vertical Frame Construction Question - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Vertical Frame Construction Question - Page 2 I22gcj10Vertical Frame Construction Question - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by ladyDenna Today at 4:21 am

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Yesterday at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Vertical Frame Construction Question

+7
Pepper
CindiLou
cheyannarach
yolos
floyd1440
walshevak
CaptainNapalm
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Vertical Frame Construction Question - Page 2 Empty Re: Vertical Frame Construction Question

Post  southern gardener 8/14/2012, 6:16 pm

Nonna.PapaVino wrote:A word of clarification: cattle panels and hog panels are somewhat different. Hog panels have more narrow openings, which makes them useful for climbing flowers, peas and cucumbers, where the fruits aren't too large to pull back through the openings. But cattle panels have wider openings, so it's easier to reach through to harvest large tomatoes, smaller melons, etc. Something to consider. One of our cattle panel arches has thrilled our potimarron winter squash, which immediately raced to the top of the arch and formed two lovely squashes, which now dangle just over my head when I walk through the arch. As of today, it has grown completely over the arch, and is currently wandering along the top of the deer/elk fence. The acorn squash, Thelma Sanders, took the lower road, across the walkway, then up the elk/deer fence and is testing the far side of the arch. Didn't know squash had personalities. Nonna

Nonna....can you post a pic of your arch? We are in the midst of building one, and would LOVE to see one in use!! bounce bounce
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Vertical Frame Construction Question - Page 2 Empty Re: Vertical Frame Construction Question

Post  floyd1440 8/14/2012, 8:24 pm

To All

I like the cattle panels but have a few simple questions. The picture posted before shows the panel bent allowing and arc, which would extend the growth of certain vegetables, but what can you grow under it as it would become shaded?
floyd1440
floyd1440

Male Posts : 815

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 8/14/2012, 8:37 pm

floyd, our cattle panels are arched over the walkways (a) between North and South beds and (b) over the walkway between an early version of Square Foot Gardening long bed and the new 6-foot deer/elk fence on the west side of the fenced garden area. This way, the cattle panels and what's growing on them shades nothing but the walkways--which makes it enjoyable to stand in the shade to tend plants on both sides, and pick beans/peas from vines above me.

Southerngardner: I'd love to post pictures, but either my computer program is defective, or I'm getting computer stupid in my old age, but my efforts have failed. Just frustrating and irritating. May try again to get something on AFTER watering, weeding, harvesting, canning, removing spent plants and replanting, moving the new fir and alder chips into the garden for walkways, etc. Yes, I'll try again. Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 8/14/2012, 9:07 pm

Floyd et al,
Here are a hundred different ways to use a cattle panel. Check it out.

http://www.google.com/search?q=cattle+panels+trellis&hl=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=Q_UqULq5O4OI8QSsiYDoCw&ved=0CE8QsAQ&biw=1920&bih=1006

Each one of the imges in the above link can be enlarged to see more clearly what everyone is doing with the cattle panels.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 8/17/2012, 8:53 pm

yolos wrote:Floyd et al,
Here are a hundred different ways to use a cattle panel. Check it out.

http://www.google.com/search?q=cattle+panels+trellis&hl=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=Q_UqULq5O4OI8QSsiYDoCw&ved=0CE8QsAQ&biw=1920&bih=1006

Each one of the imges in the above link can be enlarged to see more clearly what everyone is doing with the cattle panels.

Sorry I have been away and have not responded to you post; it is quite amazing how many ways to use cattle panels. I think I will have to go to Tractor Supply and see them first hand then attempted to see how I can use them in my garden.

One thing I have noticed is as the season has progressed the nylon netting has suppported my tomatoes quite well but do wonder about heavier crops. As in mel's book I put my trellis at the back and think it would be better in the middle of the square if I continue a higher vertical trellis but do like the arc method as well, but do not know if I can adopt this to my garden.
floyd1440
floyd1440

Male Posts : 815

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2