Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
I don't want to use high fructose corn syrup in freezer jam Toplef10I don't want to use high fructose corn syrup in freezer jam 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

I don't want to use high fructose corn syrup in freezer jam I22gcj10I don't want to use high fructose corn syrup in freezer jam 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
I don't want to use high fructose corn syrup in freezer jam Toplef10I don't want to use high fructose corn syrup in freezer jam 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

I don't want to use high fructose corn syrup in freezer jam I22gcj10I don't want to use high fructose corn syrup in freezer jam 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 2:25 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by Scorpio Rising Today at 2:05 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

I don't want to use high fructose corn syrup in freezer jam

5 posters

Go down

I don't want to use high fructose corn syrup in freezer jam Empty I don't want to use high fructose corn syrup in freezer jam

Post  Triciasgarden 7/30/2012, 11:09 pm

I have been making freezer jam for a lot of years and I was reading the instructions in the pectin box and it says to use sugar but to also use high fructose corn syrup to keep the sugar from crystalizing. I know I have used it in the past but I don't want to use it anymore. Does anyone have a recipe where I don't have to use high fructose corn syrup and maybe use something else for the sugar also?

My plums didn't get very big this year and are ripening way ahead of schedule. I think it's because of the high temps we had for a while there. They didn't get a chance to grow very big first. My tree is loaded so I am sharing with friends, neighbors and family. I will also be canning some whole and then also will make freezer jam. I love the flavor of freezer jam! I have given some jam away as gifts also.

It seems the plums are runnier than other fruits I have made jam with. I'm not sure why. It still tastes fantastic though!

I would appreciate any help so I can make healthier jams this year, if possible.

Last edited by Triciasgarden on 7/30/2012, 11:10 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added a word.)
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

I don't want to use high fructose corn syrup in freezer jam Empty Re: I don't want to use high fructose corn syrup in freezer jam

Post  walshevak 7/30/2012, 11:48 pm

uses of cream of tartar

Preventing sugar syrups from crystallising

http://www.ochef.com/933.htm

However, I have no idea if it can be used in canning fruit.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

I don't want to use high fructose corn syrup in freezer jam Empty Re: I don't want to use high fructose corn syrup in freezer jam

Post  Triciasgarden 7/31/2012, 12:14 am

I wonder if it would dissolve without heating. Something for me to investigate! Thank you!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleGardener 7/31/2012, 12:38 am

Triciasgarden wrote:I have been making freezer jam for a lot of years
Does anyone have a recipe where I don't have to use high fructose corn syrup and maybe use something else for the sugar also?
My plums didn't get very big this year and are ripening way ahead of schedule.
Hi Tricia,
I've only made Berry-jam, so I'm not familiar with plums. Don't tell me your plums are the *yellow*Wink European kind, or I will be right over LOL (having lived in SLC, & Orem, & Provo) so yes I know how to get there. Just kidding, mind you.)
Well,
here's a site of no less 15+ Freezer-jam recipes: http://tipnut.com/freezer-jam/ and
this one sounds like a winner Wink http://projects.washingtonpost.com/recipes/2005/07/06/reduced-sugar-blackberry-plum-or-raspberry-plum-fr/ , what do you think, Tricia?
LittleGardener
LittleGardener

Female Posts : 370

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 7/31/2012, 1:39 am

I think my tree is a Santa Rosa. I loved them growing up and I wanted to get one exactly like my Dad's. They are tart and sweet! I like the first site you show because they are freezer jam, but the second one has some wonderful sounding recipes for cooked jam! I am going to save both! Thank you for looking those up for me and come over any time for some plums, lol!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleGardener 7/31/2012, 2:16 am

Triciasgarden wrote:I think my tree is a Santa Rosa. I loved them growing up and I wanted to get one exactly like my Dad's. They are tart and sweet!
I like the first site you show because they are freezer jam, but the second one has some wonderful sounding recipes for cooked jam! I am going to save both! Thank you for looking those up for me and come over any time for some plums, lol!
Here's a great page http://www.davewilson.com/br40/br40_trees/plumPrune.html
but the delicious, mushy, sweet yellow plums I grew up with I could not there identify, nor the one Prune-tree we have, now on its last leg until I can somehow save it. (And we live like 1000-miles away, so yours would be very expensive plums indeed). - Enjoy them all Very Happy Tricia
LittleGardener
LittleGardener

Female Posts : 370

Back to top Go down

Post  littlesapphire 7/31/2012, 10:43 am

I've never actually had freeze jam, so I don't know if it tastes any different than processed jam. But I will say that water processing your jam means you don't have any sugar crystals! Plus it doesn't take up freezer space.
littlesapphire
littlesapphire

Female Posts : 826

http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 7/31/2012, 12:32 pm

Thank you Littlesapphire for your reply! I may just process some jam the water bath way this year! I haven't done that before so that will be fun! The flavor of freezer jam is "fresh" tasting is the best way I can describe it.
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 7/31/2012, 1:53 pm

I don't know what receipe you are using, but cream of tarter or using real lemon juice should prevent the crystals.
Also, for your info: real cane sugar is ok, but, sugar that does not say cane sugar is usually made from sugar beets, which are a GMO product, as is the high fructose corn syrup.
Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down