Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
PNW: Fall garden planning - do you know your first frost date? - Page 2 Toplef10PNW: Fall garden planning - do you know your first frost date? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

PNW: Fall garden planning - do you know your first frost date? - Page 2 I22gcj10PNW: Fall garden planning - do you know your first frost date? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
PNW: Fall garden planning - do you know your first frost date? - Page 2 Toplef10PNW: Fall garden planning - do you know your first frost date? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

PNW: Fall garden planning - do you know your first frost date? - Page 2 I22gcj10PNW: Fall garden planning - do you know your first frost date? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

PNW: Fall garden planning - do you know your first frost date?

+6
CapeCoddess
happycamper
Warbler
FamilyGardening
boffer
gwennifer
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

PNW: Fall garden planning - do you know your first frost date? - Page 2 Empty Re: PNW: Fall garden planning - do you know your first frost date?

Post  happycamper 9/23/2012, 5:52 pm

FamilyGardening, Your fall garden looks fantastic! Slugs have been chewing down the tops of the parsnips here. Your peas make me envious, I grow them in the spring but didn't plant any for fall, and I am regretting it after seeing yours.
Lettuce, radish, kale and spinach are all coming along well. My timing on the fall beets was better this year and I should have a nice fall crop.
happycamper
happycamper

Female Posts : 304

Back to top Go down

PNW: Fall garden planning - do you know your first frost date? - Page 2 Empty Re: PNW: Fall garden planning - do you know your first frost date?

Post  FamilyGardening 9/25/2012, 1:41 am

happycamper......sorry to hear about the slugs Evil or Very Mad ....they sure did give us a run for our money too!!....they have eaten ton's in our garden....i dont mind if they nibble here and there....but...i hate it when they get to new seedlings Sad ....i think ours are getting sneaky Shocked ....they are hiding down deep into the lettuce....cant find them until we cut some lettuce.... bring it into the house to wash....and....there they are floating in the water tongue YUCK!

im excited to see how your beets turn out.....still havent picked ours yet....they seemed kinda stalled there for awhile until the weather cooled down.....this is our second year trying to grow some....havent had much of anything yet.....seems like beets and carrots we have trouble with.... study

sounds like your fall garden is doing well happycamper...yah!

hugs
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 10/2/2012, 8:58 pm

its October Shocked wow the summer went by fast!

how is the fall gardening going with everyone?...

we have major growth going on under the hoops with our cole crops

PNW: Fall garden planning - do you know your first frost date? - Page 2 Dscf0179

broc's are forming heads cheers

PNW: Fall garden planning - do you know your first frost date? - Page 2 Dscf0175

have picked lettuce twice and its ready again Smile

PNW: Fall garden planning - do you know your first frost date? - Page 2 Dscf0177

dog kennel of cole crops

PNW: Fall garden planning - do you know your first frost date? - Page 2 Dscf0178

we are still getting beans

PNW: Fall garden planning - do you know your first frost date? - Page 2 Dscf0176

fall sugar snap peas almost ready to harvest
PNW: Fall garden planning - do you know your first frost date? - Page 2 Dscf0180

going to keep the carrots in the box until they get a nip of frost

PNW: Fall garden planning - do you know your first frost date? - Page 2 Dscf0181

moved 2 of our pepper plants that were out side along with 3 sucker tomatoes into the green house along with the basil and the other two pepper plants that have been in the green house the all summer ....the differnce in size is amazing....the two dark green plants that are in the very back left and right corner are the plants from out side....then you have a tomato sucker in the middle back and 2 other tomato suckers to the left....you can also see the basil in the middle down front....the other three plants are the peppers that stayed in the green house....they are producing the same amount of fruit but the plants are not as tall, lush and green as the ones that stayed outside up against the house for the summer....all five peppers are putting on new fruit

PNW: Fall garden planning - do you know your first frost date? - Page 2 Dscf0183

fall strawberries

PNW: Fall garden planning - do you know your first frost date? - Page 2 Dscf0184

beets in the middle of our beans....they look like they may have a beet under ther ....we have tried to grow them before and it was all top with tiny roots.....they have been in the ground for a long time....

PNW: Fall garden planning - do you know your first frost date? - Page 2 Dscf0185

hugs
rose

FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 10/2/2012, 10:02 pm

rofl rofl rofl
Love the new use for the dog kennel!
GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 10/2/2012, 11:13 pm

GG ...i know right happy2

those were left over seedlings that we just couldnt throw out.....so we searched for something to plant them in.....LOL....so far so good!

we also planted in our fire pit LOL.....we use to have fires at night during the summer....not knowing that we are not allowed to have them here in our city.....

well...long story short ....hubby decided to burn some branchs that he had cut from our tree ....on a hot sunny clear day....well...those branches caused a lot of smoke in the air and all of a sudden a fire truck pulled up and told us that PNW: Fall garden planning - do you know your first frost date? - Page 2 950477 fire pits were not allowed.... blush

so we now enjoy our days sitting by our fire pit....watching butteflies, bees and humming birds.....

PNW: Fall garden planning - do you know your first frost date? - Page 2 Dscf0193

there in the corner...hubby and i enjoy spending time together...one of the flowers hubby picked out and planted is called hot lips Razz

hugs
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 10/3/2012, 1:25 pm

Awww, shucks about the fire pit Rose. We can't have one either, and I get so frustrated that EVERY store sells those things, and what would make you think they were illegal to use when they are sold everywhere like that?

I was right about my lettuce making a strong comeback once picked for the first time. Just hard waiting for it to get big enough to pick in the first place! Wish I hadn't been so lazy and had re-sowed all the holes where nothing germinated because then I might actually be getting some salads by now. As it is, I was able to throw five leaves of Red Sails lettuce in with my store bought spinach a couple of weeks ago and can now probably pick ten leaves for my salad today and a few Simpson Elite. I'll work harder on it next spring (I think!).

Rose, everything looks amazing, as usual! Love all the pictures.
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

PNW: Fall garden planning - do you know your first frost date? - Page 2 Empty I am jealous of my Neighbors gwennifer & FamilyGardening

Post  SARockhill 10/4/2012, 5:11 pm

lol! Well if anything my gardening (first year) has been a experince [super hard clay] [pill bugs, earwigs, Caterpillars, beetles,{zillion others} and some still unknown to me] [mildew] made a lot of poor choices. A small harvest of Tomatoes, huge harvest of Jalapeno's, Both still producing well. Lost my spaghetti squash Sad {2 grew 1 almost full I think 1 smaller than a baseball} my suger baby Melons are still trying to grow but one of the 3 smaller ones shows signs of mildew No. Lost my carrots {might have been the kitten from next door} a great deal of my flowers have died for one reason or another Shocked We have had a couple real cold nights, Starting to think about what I can save and whether or not they would be worth the effort Rolling Eyes I can put some up for the winter in my front bathroom [no sun light but have succeeded before doing that with some flowers], a few on a make-shift table that gets sun 2 times a day through windows an another window that gets morning sun.. Can't afford a Greenhouse yet!

cc: Well my unknown bugs maybe Spittle bug or leaf hopper's either way the are really hard to smash, I clapped one 3 times and it only stunned it temporarily, drowning about the same. Put one in a small container with no air holes and it seemed to live a week. affraid

Last edited by SARockhill on 10/4/2012, 5:17 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Addon)
SARockhill
SARockhill

Male Posts : 21

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 10/10/2012, 9:08 pm

SARockhill......sorry to hear you are having bug problems and you lost your squash plant and carrots Sad the first few years is learning....thats what i keep telling my self and hubby.....it does get better each year though....thats what we have found....this is our 3rd year gardening....keep us posted on how your indoor gardening goes! Very Happy

we were attacked by Aphids Shocked its been crazy!....not sure where they all came from.....we are still dealing with them....

the fall garden is producing cheers we harvested our first bok choi and had it with beans, onions, sugar snap peas, yellow crook neck squash, all from the garden!

bok choi first harvest we planted a bunch as a trap plant for the bugs and slugs to keep away from our other cole crops.....

PNW: Fall garden planning - do you know your first frost date? - Page 2 Dscf0213

our first harvest of fall sugar snap peas and our late planting of beans

PNW: Fall garden planning - do you know your first frost date? - Page 2 Dscf0214

lettuce is doing well.....been harvesting more then we can eat so we have been sharing with friends Very Happy

PNW: Fall garden planning - do you know your first frost date? - Page 2 Dscf0221

dog kennel planting of cole crops doing well....

cabbage

PNW: Fall garden planning - do you know your first frost date? - Page 2 Dscf0215

brossel sprouts and cauliflower

PNW: Fall garden planning - do you know your first frost date? - Page 2 Dscf0216

hoops area of broc's, cauli's, cabbage, bok choi, collard greens, spinach, lettuce and swiss chard doing good...fighting aphids and cabbage worms along with slugs.... What a Face

PNW: Fall garden planning - do you know your first frost date? - Page 2 Dscf0217

collard greens, swiss chard and spinach

PNW: Fall garden planning - do you know your first frost date? - Page 2 Dscf0219

we had to pull Sad our 2 spring plantings of brossels sprouts do to APHIDS!

PNW: Fall garden planning - do you know your first frost date? - Page 2 Dscf0220

the green house plants are still doing well....tomato suckers, peppers,and basil plants....and we even took a chance and planted some snow peas Shocked just to see if we could get them to grow inside the green house.... tongue

in the hoop area we replanted more spinach because slugs have been feasting on the first plantings....we also sowed a few more broc's and cauli's to see if we can get them to over winter....we lost a few plants to slugs so we had a few empty squares..... Wink

hugs
rose

FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 10/18/2012, 4:38 am

the snow peas are up cheers in the green house!

its been non stop rain here for the past week and it seems like its going to continue for the next week.....

our fall broc's are getting some nice size heads on them....i think we should be harvesting some soon Very Happy

a couple of the new spinach seeds are coming up cheers boy what a year for non spinach....last year we had so much we could not eat all of it.....this year we only have had a few nibbles....i love fresh spinach in salads.....the lettuce is doing great....now come on spinach albino

the bok choi and collard greens we have been harvesting....the other cole crops like cauli's and cabbage are getting fuller and taller no heads yet.....

the sucker tomato plants are looking cold in the green house...they have that purple look to them.....they do have fruit :drunken: so we shall see...the pepper plants look like they havent done much more then what they were doing last month....they still have a lot of fruit on the plants but havent grown any more or change color .....their still green....very surprised that the basil still is growing and looks great for how cold its been.....we did put some 2liter bottles full of water in with them along with some large stones in hope they would warm up during the day time and give the green house some warmth at night......we are planing on getting some hanging lights soon to help keep the green house warmer.....

we are also going to put the plastic up on the hoop box's because we are worried about all the rain.....we are going to leave the ends open though for now....once it gets a lot colder we will close it up all the way.....

there is still so much to learn about fall and winter gardening here in the PNW we want to know how and what everyone else is doing.......what are you finding thats working for you and whats not......do you have anything growing under hoops? or in a green house?

hugs
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 10/18/2012, 9:51 pm

todays fall harvest Very Happy

PNW: Fall garden planning - do you know your first frost date? - Page 2 Dscf0227

Broccoli, sugar snap peas, cherry tomatoes, crookneck squash, Jubilee tomato, Cantaloupes, beans and our son's corn on the cob from his three sisters garden wine barrel Very Happy

brought in more Super Itilian paste tomatoes to finish ripening Very Happy

PNW: Fall garden planning - do you know your first frost date? - Page 2 Dscf0229

cut some fresh flowers too Very Happy

PNW: Fall garden planning - do you know your first frost date? - Page 2 Dscf0230

hugs
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  CharlesB 10/19/2012, 8:45 am

FamilyGardening wrote:bok choi first harvest we planted a bunch as a trap plant for the bugs and slugs to keep away from our other cole crops.....

Did this seem to do what you hoped it would? Could you describe more about this?

Thanks
CharlesB
CharlesB

Male Posts : 273

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 10/19/2012, 11:53 am

CharlesB wrote:
FamilyGardening wrote:bok choi first harvest we planted a bunch as a trap plant for the bugs and slugs to keep away from our other cole crops.....

Did this seem to do what you hoped it would? Could you describe more about this?

Thanks

we found in the spring plantings that the slugs went first and much harder for the bok choi we planted then the other cole crops like broc, cauli and cabbage that were planted next to them.....those cole crops only had a few nibbles if any.....

we planted the bok choi again for fall crops as a trap plant....and once again the bok choi had most of the slug damage, cabbage worms and some aphids.....we did find a cabbage worm on the collard greens but not as bad as the bok choi had.....

aphids went for the bok choi as well.... but....the aphids went harder for the brossel sprouts....

we didnt have aphids in our spring crops ....we were really hit hard over the summer.....the aphids were all over our corn as well....

we are going to continue to grow bok choi as a companion plant with other cole crops and see if we get the same results.....we love eating bok choi too so we just plant extra for the bug and slugs.... Razz

hope that helps Very Happy
hugs
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 10/19/2012, 12:13 pm

Your harvest yesterday is amazing, Rose! And thanks for the tip about the planting trap plants. Altho here in my garden they seem to love the collards best. Guess I could companion plant with collards.

Do you put one in each square? Or plant a few at the edges of the box or how does that work?

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 10/19/2012, 3:45 pm

we planted the bok choi on some of the out side edges of our hoop box's......we also planted lettuce and spinach.....the slugs love the spinach as well.....the spinach and lettuce are sitting side by side....the slugs pretty much has left the lettuce alone.....

we planted the bok choi side by side in the hoop box's.....next time we are going to spit them up a bit more and see if we can get some spinach....in between the bok choi and see if the slugs will go for the bok choi and leave us the spinach Very Happy

hugs
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 10/29/2012, 11:57 pm

Oct 29th Fall update

we had a few hours today when the sun was out so we were able to get some things done out in the gardens Very Happy

SFG box #1.

spring planting of brossel sprouts are coming along....( i never knew it took so long for brossel sprouts to grow Shocked )spring planting kale doing well....1 sqaure of fall baby sprouts of kale coming up....we planted 5 squares of garlic and 1 square of onions.....garlic just starting to show.......

PNW: Fall garden planning - do you know your first frost date? - Page 2 Dscf0162

SFG box #2

fall planting of sugar snap peas & carrots doing good....took a peak and pulled a couple of carrots ....their coming along....going to wait until after a frost hits to pull up more....

PNW: Fall garden planning - do you know your first frost date? - Page 2 Dscf0163

SFG box #3

fall planting of shelling peas doing ok....they are making some peas....havent harvested any yet...and...the spring plantings of fava beans that we cut down and left the roots in the soil are coming up and flowering Shocked

PNW: Fall garden planning - do you know your first frost date? - Page 2 Dscf0164

Green house:

we planted some seeds today Shocked not sure what they will do but its only a few seeds so we shall see Very Happy we planted some carrots, turnips, onions, spinach, lettuce and transplanted some celery....

PNW: Fall garden planning - do you know your first frost date? - Page 2 Dscf0166

fall planting of snow peas

PNW: Fall garden planning - do you know your first frost date? - Page 2 Dscf0167

the last two pepper plants.....something has been eating the peppers ...so we lost a bunch of them.... PNW: Fall garden planning - do you know your first frost date? - Page 2 950477

PNW: Fall garden planning - do you know your first frost date? - Page 2 Dscf0168

the only tomato plant in the green house

PNW: Fall garden planning - do you know your first frost date? - Page 2 Dscf0169

the hoop box's:

cole crops doing great! happy turtle
we have harvested a couple of broc heads.... hungry

PNW: Fall garden planning - do you know your first frost date? - Page 2 Dscf0170

some new broc seedlings coming up Very Happy just planted them a week or so ago....going to see if we can over winter them.... Shocked

PNW: Fall garden planning - do you know your first frost date? - Page 2 Dscf0174

took off the plastic of this hoop box to allow some rain in
lettuce, spinach, swiss chard, bok choi, cabbage, collard greens and lettuce.....all doing well....we just harvest a bunch of it yesterday

PNW: Fall garden planning - do you know your first frost date? - Page 2 Dscf0171

the back garden area:

still waiting on the beets

PNW: Fall garden planning - do you know your first frost date? - Page 2 Dscf0173

the last two pumpkins

PNW: Fall garden planning - do you know your first frost date? - Page 2 Dscf0175

the childrens three sister's wine barrels corn still filling out

PNW: Fall garden planning - do you know your first frost date? - Page 2 Dscf0172

our harvest today.... hungry

PNW: Fall garden planning - do you know your first frost date? - Page 2 Dscf0165

how is fall treating you all?

hugs
rose .....who has dirt under her finger nails PNW: Fall garden planning - do you know your first frost date? - Page 2 3759993749

FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 10/30/2012, 12:55 pm

Kudo's to you Rose, for taking advantage of the weather yesterday! 'Twas a lovely evening last night. So sad when I heard the rain start up again at about ten, since I was hoping for one more dry day so I could get some work done outside.

The one complaint I have about our rainy season is that it starts just when the leaves are starting to fall and the annuals and perennials are dying back and need to be cleaned up. The yard and garden is at it's messiest and the weather just doesn't cooperate for clean up. I get jealous when I read of all these people raking and mowing up bags of dry, crunchy leaves. Ours are a wet, matted mess stuck on the lawn, street, driveway and shrubs.

Well, my lettuces and cole crops are still out there. The nights have been warm at my place - in the low fifties - so they are fine. Need to check for slugs. I picked up one of those wireless thermometers at Fred Meyer's on clearance. I put the sensor out on the back fence and can check the current, max, and min. temps from inside. Love it. I'm glad the cabbage moths have finally gone away - my broccoli's took a beating this year.
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2