Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
compost balls! Toplef10compost balls! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

compost balls! I22gcj10compost balls! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
compost balls! Toplef10compost balls! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

compost balls! I22gcj10compost balls! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Square Foot Gardening Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson Yesterday at 10:33 pm

» LARGE tyre for potatoes?
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 6:24 pm

» How to Grow Vegetables From Seed
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 11:57 am

» Trellis
by KiwiSFGnewbie 12/6/2022, 8:10 pm

» alfalfa meal
by OhioGardener 12/6/2022, 3:11 pm

» Aerogardening
by OhioGardener 12/6/2022, 8:34 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 12/6/2022, 12:18 am

» Plant Probiotic (EM-1) that got rid of whitefly
by Soose 12/5/2022, 6:34 pm

» The compost bin
by KiwiSFGnewbie 12/3/2022, 4:27 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 12/3/2022, 2:15 am

» COMPOST 101
by OhioGardener 12/2/2022, 10:05 am

» Hi from Nelson, New Zealand.
by Soose 12/1/2022, 12:33 pm

» Would you buy this hay to compost?
by Soose 12/1/2022, 12:30 pm

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 12/1/2022, 9:05 am

» TWENTY-FIVE slugs in one night!!!
by OhioGardener 11/30/2022, 5:28 pm

» Non "fluffy" peat...
by KiwiSFGnewbie 11/30/2022, 4:37 pm

» ‘White dust’ underside Chard/Silverbeet leaves
by Eos 11/29/2022, 9:33 pm

» N&C Midwest: November & December 2022
by Scorpio Rising 11/29/2022, 12:18 pm

» Chick N Poo Compost
by cyclonegardener 11/28/2022, 9:47 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 11/28/2022, 5:53 pm

» maintaining Mel's Mix
by sanderson 11/27/2022, 2:30 am

» Food waste being turned into compost for Ohio greenhouse
by OhioGardener 11/25/2022, 9:34 am

» Happy Thanksgiving
by OhioGardener 11/24/2022, 8:27 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson 11/23/2022, 6:40 pm

» Pressure treated wood - covered with plastic?
by dstack 11/22/2022, 1:32 pm

» Hello from NSW, Australia
by Scorpio Rising 11/22/2022, 7:22 am

» Happy Thanksgiving 2022
by Scorpio Rising 11/21/2022, 10:11 pm

» How to Harvest Winter Squash
by OhioGardener 11/21/2022, 9:18 am

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 11/20/2022, 6:00 pm

» Question about pets using the raised bed
by dstack 11/19/2022, 2:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

compost balls!

5 posters

Go down

compost balls! Empty compost balls!

Post  offtheporch 7/2/2012, 10:29 pm

I've been using a tumbler composter and both batches I have made have turned out tennis ball-sized balls of compost. From the research I've done in the archives of these forums, I think I have too much green stuff. If I let it "cook" for a longer time will the balls turn into crumbly compost? I have had it in the composter for about 10 weeks and wonder if it's "done".
offtheporch
offtheporch

Posts : 24
Join date : 2012-03-24
Location : Mid-Michigan

Back to top Go down

compost balls! Empty Re: compost balls!

Post  Kelejan 7/3/2012, 12:09 am

offtheporch, try breaking up one of these "tennis balls" to see what it is made of. If something like grass, then put the TBs aside and sift what you already have, I bet it is near finished. Then break the TBS and mix in some browns, and the remnents of the sifted compost, mix well, and away you go again.

On the other hand, the balls may consist of worm colonies. Good news if you have worms.

PS That is what I would do; I really have no idea if I am right. Expert opinions, please?
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016
Join date : 2011-04-24
Age : 87
Location : Castlegar, British Columbia

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

compost balls! Empty Re: compost balls!

Post  Triciasgarden 7/3/2012, 12:41 am

Sounds good to me too but alas I am not very experienced in this area. I have a composter also so I will have to see if that happens to me.
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634
Join date : 2010-06-04
Age : 67
Location : Northern Utah

Back to top Go down

compost balls! Empty Re: compost balls!

Post  Cincinnati 7/3/2012, 7:45 am

offtheporch wrote:I've been using a tumbler composter ....

I have a tumbler too. I believe I get clumps and balls because the product clumps together as I add water to it. Regardless of why I get them, sometimes the clumps are finished, sometimes they are clumps of grass that have not finished decaying. I simply break them up by hand if necessary. I occasionally use a pitch fork and turn the compost in the drum, throwing it against the sides of the drum. Sometimes this doesn't work and then I resort to sifting through the batch by hand.

avatar
Cincinnati

Posts : 182
Join date : 2011-06-26
Location : Alabama Gulf Coast

Back to top Go down

compost balls! Empty Re: compost balls!

Post  GWN 7/3/2012, 10:27 am

One time I dumped the whole tumbler out and stomped on all the balls with some success
I have found that the balls formed when the compost was too wet and I found adding more leaves and
"browns" seemed to help
GWN
GWN

Posts : 2804
Join date : 2012-01-14
Age : 66
Location : british columbia zone 5a

Back to top Go down

compost balls! Empty Re: compost balls!

Post  Cincinnati 7/3/2012, 11:50 am

GWN wrote:One time I dumped the whole tumbler out and stomped on all the balls with some success
I have found that the balls formed when the compost was too wet and I found adding more leaves and
"browns" seemed to help

If the clumps are compost, every time you add more stuff to the drum, you start the clock all over for that batch.
avatar
Cincinnati

Posts : 182
Join date : 2011-06-26
Location : Alabama Gulf Coast

Back to top Go down

compost balls! Empty Re: compost balls!

Post  Kelejan 7/3/2012, 11:54 am

Cincinnati wrote:
GWN wrote:One time I dumped the whole tumbler out and stomped on all the balls with some success
I have found that the balls formed when the compost was too wet and I found adding more leaves and
"browns" seemed to help

If the clumps are compost, every time you add more stuff to the drum, you start the clock all over for that batch.

If the clumps are compost, then that is why you need to take them out and start a new batch.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016
Join date : 2011-04-24
Age : 87
Location : Castlegar, British Columbia

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

compost balls! Empty Re: compost balls!

Post  offtheporch 7/3/2012, 2:49 pm

Kelejan wrote:
Cincinnati wrote:
GWN wrote:One time I dumped the whole tumbler out and stomped on all the balls with some success
I have found that the balls formed when the compost was too wet and I found adding more leaves and
"browns" seemed to help

If the clumps are compost, every time you add more stuff to the drum, you start the clock all over for that batch.

If the clumps are compost, then that is why you need to take them out and start a new batch.

That's what my question was to a certain extent...when it turns into the balls, does that mean it's done?
Also with this tumbler composter you do it in a "batch" meaning you don't keep adding stuff as you go. You load it once and let it "cook" just keeping it moist and turning it every few days. I sounds like the balls form because there is too much green. That's good to know.
offtheporch
offtheporch

Posts : 24
Join date : 2012-03-24
Location : Mid-Michigan

Back to top Go down

compost balls! Empty Re: compost balls!

Post  Cincinnati 7/3/2012, 3:59 pm

offtheporch wrote:... sounds like the balls form because there is too much green. That's good to know.

NOt necessarily. That's what I'm trying to tell you. I have to periodically add water to my drum as the compost dries out. Sometimes the clumps form after the composting process is complete. Sometimes they form before it is complete.

IF, when you break open the clumps, you can recognize the raw ingredients as grass or whatever, then the clumps are not finished composting.

IF, when you break them open, it crumbles into finer pieces, then it is finished composting.

avatar
Cincinnati

Posts : 182
Join date : 2011-06-26
Location : Alabama Gulf Coast

Back to top Go down

compost balls! Empty Re: compost balls!

Post  offtheporch 7/3/2012, 4:37 pm

Cincinnati wrote:
offtheporch wrote:... sounds like the balls form because there is too much green. That's good to know.

NOt necessarily. That's what I'm trying to tell you. I have to periodically add water to my drum as the compost dries out. Sometimes the clumps form after the composting process is complete. Sometimes they form before it is complete.

IF, when you break open the clumps, you can recognize the raw ingredients as grass or whatever, then the clumps are not finished composting.

IF, when you break them open, it crumbles into finer pieces, then it is finished composting.


Ok, Got it. Thank you so much for clearing it up for me. You've been very helpful.
offtheporch
offtheporch

Posts : 24
Join date : 2012-03-24
Location : Mid-Michigan

Back to top Go down

compost balls! Empty Re: compost balls!

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum