Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Manure, compost...when does one become the other? Toplef10Manure, compost...when does one become the other? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Manure, compost...when does one become the other? I22gcj10Manure, compost...when does one become the other? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Manure, compost...when does one become the other? Toplef10Manure, compost...when does one become the other? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Manure, compost...when does one become the other? I22gcj10Manure, compost...when does one become the other? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 6:17 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:26 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 5/6/2024, 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Manure, compost...when does one become the other?

+2
happycamper
claudiamedic
6 posters

Go down

Manure, compost...when does one become the other? Empty Manure, compost...when does one become the other?

Post  claudiamedic 5/17/2012, 4:50 pm

The 4-H leader I'm working with has livestock and seems to use the words "manure" and "compost" interchangeably. When is manure "composted"? When is it OK to eat tubers/root crops from a garden enriched with (unknown age) manure?
idk
claudiamedic
claudiamedic

Female Posts : 121

http://www.claudiasfamily.com

Back to top Go down

Manure, compost...when does one become the other? Empty Re: Manure, compost...when does one become the other?

Post  happycamper 5/17/2012, 9:23 pm

I follow the USDA guidelines and adhere to the 120 days. Most manure will fully compost in 6-12 months on its own or 4-6 months if you turn your pile regularly. I compost fresh chicken manure and bedding and it usually takes 6 months.

Manure (fresh) and composted manure (aged) are two different things. USDA does have guidelines on their site stating when it is safe to apply manure to above ground crops (90 days prior to harvest) and root crops (120 days prior to harvest).
happycamper
happycamper

Female Posts : 304

Back to top Go down

Manure, compost...when does one become the other? Empty Re: Manure, compost...when does one become the other?

Post  claudiamedic 5/18/2012, 8:15 pm

So lettuce, radishes, kale, swiss chard and beets all are to trash/compost when they come up...?? What about vertical crops? Since they grow into the air are they OK to eat? What about herbs?

I am pretty discouraged since I couldn't find any compost at all that wasn't mostly peat. I mixed the best I could with what I had (using some donated--straight from the farm -- and some bagged cow manure). So far my seedlings are looking wonderful.....dang it.

Sad
claudiamedic
claudiamedic

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 5/18/2012, 8:42 pm

Claudia, most veg are safe to eat if you soak them in a standard baby bottle sterilizer solution at the reccommended sterilization times shown on the bottle then rinse them off and shake off excess water.

It's funny we all know what comes out the back end of cows , horses pigs sheep , & ducks chickens etc etc but most are afraid to say it so they use a word they think that might describe it.

In my school days during rural science lessons I was always taught that manure is animal dung usually mixed with old bedding that has been left to rot down in the open without the benefit of much aerobic action . Nutrients tended to drain out of the decaying matter over time due to gravity till a fairly low level was retained in the almost dried out decayed matter

Compost on the other hand was said to be a mix of animal dung & other undigested vegetable material made by aerobic action , most nutrients would stay in the decayed materials whilst the water evaporated due to the heat generated by intense aerobic bacterial action .

A few days ago I read what several reasonably authoritive scripts .

It now seems that both words are interchangeable which is a pity for they are two entirely different end products.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindacol 5/18/2012, 10:22 pm

claudiamedic wrote:So lettuce, radishes, kale, swiss chard and beets all are to trash/compost when they come up...?? What about vertical crops? Since they grow into the air are they OK to eat? What about herbs?

I am pretty discouraged since I couldn't find any compost at all that wasn't mostly peat. I mixed the best I could with what I had (using some donated--straight from the farm -- and some bagged cow manure). So far my seedlings are looking wonderful.....dang it.

Sad

Lettuce, kale & chard are fine to use as long as you are harvesting them at least 90 days from when the manure was produced by the animal. Root crops are fine after 120 days.
When you picked the manure up from the farm, did you ask if it was fresh or aged? If aged, about how long?
Most likely all will be fine, just wash before eating.
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 5/19/2012, 6:33 am

I have lived overseas and the source and age of what veggies are grown in is quite variable. Think human. The health dept of the Embassy taught us to soak everything in a mild bleach solution and rinse in boiled or distilled water before eating any local produce. Then peel and/or cook most things. I just got into the habit of bringing home veggies and rinsing them off, then filling the sink with water and 2 caps full of clorox and just letting everthing soak for at least 10 min before packaging and storing in the fridge. I never got sick from anything prepared at home or at a fellow workers home, but I never ate salads in some countries outside the home.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  claudiamedic 5/19/2012, 1:01 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions! I am so thrilled that I don't have to trash everything! Live and learn..and learn...and learn...and learn. When you're done learning, you're dead. I love you
claudiamedic
claudiamedic

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 5/19/2012, 4:06 pm

claudiamedic wrote: When you're done learning, you're dead. I love you

Manure, compost...when does one become the other? 3170584802
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down