Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
strawberries - Blackberries with strawberries? Toplef10strawberries - Blackberries with strawberries? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

strawberries - Blackberries with strawberries? I22gcj10strawberries - Blackberries with strawberries? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
strawberries - Blackberries with strawberries? Toplef10strawberries - Blackberries with strawberries? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

strawberries - Blackberries with strawberries? I22gcj10strawberries - Blackberries with strawberries? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson Today at 2:34 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by JAM23 Yesterday at 5:24 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:13 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson 5/10/2024, 2:06 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Blackberries with strawberries?

5 posters

Go down

strawberries - Blackberries with strawberries? Empty Blackberries with strawberries?

Post  MO UR4Me 4/8/2010, 9:19 am

I have been given some blackberry starts that I was going to put in one of my new garden beds. However, this site suggests not putting blackberries in the beds because they send out so many roots that they interfere with other stuff when you plant later; which makes sense. The problem is that I don't have a very good non-bed place to put them.

I do have one 9x12 bed that is almost all strawberries (with a bit of asparagus & herbs). So the whole thing is a perennial bed and will not have me digging in it every year. Could I put the blackberries in a line at the back of this bed and just let the roots mix in with the strawberries since I won't be disturbing the soil every year?
MO UR4Me

Female Posts : 1

http://www.IntegriTivity.com

Back to top Go down

strawberries - Blackberries with strawberries? Empty Re: Blackberries with strawberries?

Post  cliftyman 4/8/2010, 9:43 am

I don't think tame varieties of blackberries are quite as bad as wild but all blackberries get very large and will completely take over an area (at least in my experience).

I'm very familiar with wild blackberries and they will spread by root and completely overrun an area within 2-3 years.

The only people I've ever known to have "tame" blackberries were my grandparents and they had two rows of them... they had to constantly trim them and honestly they weren't near as good as wild ones. They had huge thorns and huge bitter fruits on them.

I'm no expert so don't take my opinion as the gospel on this but I don't think I'd ever considering pairing blackberries up with a SFG. strawberries - Blackberries with strawberries? Icon_wink
cliftyman
cliftyman

Back to top Go down

strawberries - Blackberries with strawberries? Empty Re: Blackberries with strawberries?

Post  rds1955 4/8/2010, 11:07 am

MO UR4ME:

I'm planting both Strawberries and Blackberries and Grapes this year, 1st time for all three...You should not plant any of them together too closely... as previously mentioned, Blackberries will overtake and overwhelm an area they are in, no ifs, ands, or buts.. doesn't matter if they are wild or tame, Blackberries will require a constant eye on them to make certain they don't get out of hand...If you are planning on putting them in the same bed as Asparagus, that is a No No....Both require space for their roots to develop, and if you plant them both in the same box, I'm pretty certain the Blackberries will win...

In the Plants Section of the Help and FAQ area on this web site Mel regards Blackberries and Raspberries in the same category and says:

"To answer your question about blackberries and raspberries, we usually keep them away from a Square Foot Garden where other crops are planted. Remember that things like blackberries and raspberries spread underground through their root system and keep coming up where you don't want them. However, you could go ahead and plant raspberries in the same Mel's Mix and we would recommend that you build a long, narrow box (2' wide by however long) and plant only blackberries - 1 per square foot. That would help keep them under control and they wouldn't be coming up in other parts of a box where you had other crops planted. You would want to add more compost to the soil each year to replenish the nutrients. Blackberries would need some sort of support to hold them up as they grow since they tend to spread out along the ground.

Mel suggests not mixing blackberries and raspberries in the same SFG box either. Both plants will send out suckers and try to take over. Blackberries and raspberries will ripen at different times also, making harvesting more difficult. Mel says to think of Blackberries and raspberries more like a hedge, plant your 2x? box with just one kind of plant. Adding a tomato tower will give this hedge more structural support and keep going up, not out as much. Plants take the path of least resistance so if you train them to go up and snip the runners that go out, you can control the shape a bit more."

Hope that helps...
rds1955
rds1955

Male Posts : 67

Back to top Go down

strawberries - Blackberries with strawberries? Empty Bitter blackberries?

Post  ander217 4/8/2010, 12:12 pm

Cliftyman, like you I thought I'd never want to eat another tame blackberry after my first taste. The ones I ate were awful. However, my neighbor brought me gallons of her tame blackberries last summer and they were huge, sweet, and had much less bitterness than our wild blackberries. The thorned fruit grows larger than the thornless, with many berries two inches or longer.The only drawback to them was large seeds which bother some people. (I've discovered the more sunlight our wild blackberries receive, the smaller and more bitter the berries, but it didn't seem to make any difference with our neighbor's tame plants.)

I think new varieties of tame blackberries have been developed which are far superior in taste to the old varieties. Our neighbors have both thorny and thornless varieties, and both taste wonderful. They couldn't remember the names of their varieties, but they purchased their plants in Arkansas and had to pay an extra fee per plant for patent charges.
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  cliftyman 4/8/2010, 3:32 pm

In the back of my Dad's fields there are actually two varieties growing... the wild blackberries and ones with much larger leaves, larger thorns and the fruits are twice that the size as the standard wild ones.

My Dad kept telling me not to pick those but I did anyway (getting scratched up really good in the process) and they were good.

I wonder if the birds planted some tame variety back there?

I love blackberries... even if they are a little sour but I've always thought of them as something to plant as a border or in a fencerow and let them take over.

I'll tell you another berry I love... mulberries!
cliftyman
cliftyman

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/8/2010, 4:28 pm

Yum Berries! I would plant any caning bramble berry in a box all on its own. Yum!! Berries. I wish I could grow currants and gooseberries, but I think it's still against the law here in NH. Something about the belief of them carrying rust that attacks the white pine tree.
Here is a nifty berry site: http://www.pickyourown.org/unusualfruits.htm
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

strawberries - Blackberries with strawberries? Empty berries

Post  ander217 4/9/2010, 7:45 am

Camprn, I love gooseberries, too. I'm growing two bushes right now that are descendants of my grandmother's bushes. They've just started blooming. It wouldn't be spring around here without a gooseberry pie. They make pretty, pale pink jelly, too.

Cliftyman, are you associated with Clifty Farms? They make good ham. I'm in southeast Missouri so we probably have a lot of the same plants here that you do. There is a mulberry thread on the forum - someone was asking what to do with them. I ate them when I was young, but ours sometimes have little worms on them, so I leave them for the birds now.
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  cliftyman 4/9/2010, 9:43 am

Nope though I like Clifty Farms hams!

I've had my internet handle for ages.... it comes from the itty bitty tiny spot on the map that I grew up in... Big Clifty, KY

And I grew up playing on the banks of Clifty creek on the back of my parent's farm...
cliftyman
cliftyman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down