Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
critter - Hello from Minnesota/Need critter control Toplef10critter - Hello from Minnesota/Need critter control 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

critter - Hello from Minnesota/Need critter control I22gcj10critter - Hello from Minnesota/Need critter control 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
critter - Hello from Minnesota/Need critter control Toplef10critter - Hello from Minnesota/Need critter control 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

critter - Hello from Minnesota/Need critter control I22gcj10critter - Hello from Minnesota/Need critter control 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 10:19 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hello from Minnesota/Need critter control

+5
No_Such_Reality
JennAndCompany
givvmistamps
cheyannarach
celestem2121
9 posters

Go down

critter - Hello from Minnesota/Need critter control Empty Hello from Minnesota/Need critter control

Post  celestem2121 4/29/2012, 5:53 pm

Hello from Minnesota, been gardening for years, first year with 2 3x3 beds. Filled with Mel's mix and ready to go!

Our house backs up to woods so we get many visitors.....I understand the chicken wire cover in the book, any alternatives that work better? And to protect tall tomatoes?

Thanks!!

Celeste
celestem2121
celestem2121

Back to top Go down

critter - Hello from Minnesota/Need critter control Empty Re: Hello from Minnesota/Need critter control

Post  cheyannarach 4/29/2012, 10:58 pm

Welcome Celeste! I too live in the woods, my visitors are deer, kitty cats, birds, squirrels and chipmonks! I have two cats outside that keep the smaller visitors at bay and a dog to scare away the deer! I have been very fortunate that has worked for me. No critter cages here! I have heard of hanging tulle bags with human hair around the areas because they pick up the scent. What are your visitors? 🐱
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

critter - Hello from Minnesota/Need critter control Empty Re: Hello from Minnesota/Need critter control

Post  celestem2121 4/30/2012, 12:17 pm

Raccoons, deer, squirrels, an occasional turkey, ducks.....
celestem2121
celestem2121

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps 4/30/2012, 1:32 pm

critter - Hello from Minnesota/Need critter control 396615 Hi Celeste!

It sounds like you have a variety of critters visiting your yard, so you might want to fence around your garden to keep things like deer and racoons out. I don't know how much of a problem turkeys can be. I know they'll often eat insects we don't want in our garden, but I also know they might go for your veggies, too...though they can only reach so high. For squirrels, folks here told me to sprinkle some powdered hot pepper in the garden...it works! They really don't like that smell, and the neighborhood squirrels haven't touched my garden since I did this. They mostly like to dig in my soil...I think they buried some acorns beneath where I put my boxes, but they stopped bothering my garden right away.

Lots of other people here have ingenious ways of keeping the critters out. Using the search box at the top left to find what people have done will help you find photos and descriptions of these things. Just make sure the little box that says "Search SFG Forum" is checked.
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Female Posts : 862
Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

Back to top Go down

Post  JennAndCompany 4/30/2012, 10:22 pm

givvmistamps wrote: For squirrels, folks here told me to sprinkle some powdered hot pepper in the garden...it works!

@givvmistamps - what kind of powdered hot pepper did you use? I have deer netting around my SFG beds (over the hoops) and still the squirrels figured out how to get in (by going under it)... ugh! They aren't eating anything just digging a bunch of holes in my beautiful MM.

Thanks for letting me borrow this thread for a moment critter - Hello from Minnesota/Need critter control 109486
JennAndCompany
JennAndCompany

Female Posts : 56

http://www.jennandcompany.com

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps 5/1/2012, 12:33 am

Jenn, when I first found those squirrels digging all I had on hand (that my husband wouldn't kill me for using up!) was some outdated, stale old crushed red pepper, so I used it. They never visited the boxes again, though when my husband was at the grocers a week later he got me a cheap bottle of fresher cayenne pepper that I've been using since. I think other folks here use another type of hot pepper they got in bulk packaging. So long as it's HOT, I think it'll probably work. I refresh it after a good rain...not that we get much of that around here these days!
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Female Posts : 862
Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

Back to top Go down

Post  No_Such_Reality 5/1/2012, 12:50 pm

celestem2121 wrote:Raccoons, deer, squirrels, an occasional turkey, ducks.....

Are you in city limits?

If not, come hunting season, that might be a very nice harvest...
No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 666

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 5/1/2012, 1:14 pm

When deer chomped off most of the tender branches of my newly-planted dwarf fruit trees, I hung Irish Spring soap in net bags around them. No more damage. I think it was the smell of the soap. You have to use deodorant soap and change them every 6 months or so.

I think someone here tried it and said it didn't work so I don't know why it works for me. Maybe the dogs chased them off and they are more leery of the area. I can't be sure. But it wasn't costly and it seems to work so I keep using the method. Our dogs, a golden retriever and a corgi, aren't outdoors too often but the soap hangs there forever.

critter - Hello from Minnesota/Need critter control 04-24-13

Above: An apple tree making a comeback. As you can see, the fencing is too short to deter deer.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  Mikesgardn 5/1/2012, 1:32 pm

Large hoops with netting work well, but they're not cheap. But they do allow you to walk around inside.

critter - Hello from Minnesota/Need critter control 2012_g12
Mikesgardn
Mikesgardn

Male Posts : 286

Back to top Go down

Post  littlesapphire 5/1/2012, 1:58 pm

Mike, what a cool idea! That looks like it would double as a pretty nifty green house if you covered it with plastic instead of netting, too.
littlesapphire
littlesapphire

Female Posts : 826

http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Post  JennAndCompany 5/3/2012, 1:16 am

Thanks givvmistamps!

I think I will try crushed pepper flakes when I have to take the deer netting off (as the climbing plants get bigger). Besides using the pepper flakes will be a good excuse to get fresh pepper flakes (ours are many, too many, years old to use for cooking).

critter - Hello from Minnesota/Need critter control 3170584802

Mikesgardn - I really like your tall hoops! They look great!!

cheers
JennAndCompany
JennAndCompany

Female Posts : 56

http://www.jennandcompany.com

Back to top Go down

Post  kittykat 4/18/2013, 11:08 am

Mikesgardn wrote:Large hoops with netting work well, but they're not cheap. But they do allow you to walk around inside.

critter - Hello from Minnesota/Need critter control 2012_g12

Wow! I love this! Nice work!
kittykat
kittykat

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down