Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
garlic - Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 4 Toplef10garlic - Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 4 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

garlic - Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 4 I22gcj10garlic - Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 4 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
garlic - Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 4 Toplef10garlic - Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 4 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

garlic - Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 4 I22gcj10garlic - Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 4 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Yesterday at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow?

+62
SwampTroll
countrynaturals
has55
ctrysg
BeetlesPerSqFt
CitizenKate
newbeone
Scorpio Rising
boffer
trolleydriver
littlejo
Razed Bed
Cajun Cappy
Yardslave
Windmere
Kelejan
JustMe
martha
brainchasm
AtlantaMarie
Rambo
johnp
Marc Iverson
Icemaiden
bnoles
wcfujita
southern gardener
greatgranny
J_in_HamiltonON
iiiigardener
mschaef
Goosegirl
sanderson
yolos
donnainzone5
NightMist
mollyhespra
meatburner
jimmy cee
JackieB999
llama momma
cjdunmore
CapeCoddess
cpl100
FamilyGardening
Dunkinjean
westie
RoOsTeR
tomperrin
kbb964
quiltbea
elysia
subsonic
Turan
walshevak
Nonna.PapaVino
GWN
CindiLou
Grandpop
plantoid
camprn
cheyannarach
66 posters

Page 4 of 32 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18 ... 32  Next

Go down

garlic - Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 4 Empty Re: Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow?

Post  GWN 6/12/2012, 8:49 pm

Caution: only plant garlic from a reliable source. Didn't really want to revisit our experience, but it's important for garlic growers to understand.
Nonna that is so interesting.
Did that farmers market farm turn out to have the disease?
I have been kind of willy nilly with my garlic up until now and really did not think it mattered.
You really sound like you have an interesting farm.
Any thoughts on why my garlic has not even split into cloves yet?
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

garlic - Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 4 Empty Re: Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow?

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 6/12/2012, 8:57 pm

Like you, and after some ten years of growing garlic, I didn't even think of disease when buying some beautiful and different heads of garlic from a farmer at the farmers' market in Longview, Washington. The garlic was delicious, so I saved some to plant. The next spring, we started finding garlic stalks that didn't look right. After digging them up, I noticed the foul smell, and realized we had a real problem. So, we dug up the entire row and burned them all. Lesson learned. Now, we only use certified disease-free starts from garlic growers we know and trust. Which brings up a new thought: the Chinese Pink is truly a much earlier maturing garlic than any other we've seen in 30 years. Try it....you'll like it! (Territorial has it, too.)
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  westie 6/14/2012, 12:59 am

My first year garlic crop in it’s own new box. Think I will rotate it to another box next season. I found two plants that did not look right and dug them out, they were small plants that just quit developing and were soft and appeared to be deteriorating below ground. The crop visibly matures daily and several more bend over each day. THey were planted 4 per square to give lots of space. How many does Nonna plant in each square.
garlic - Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 4 Img_0410
westie
westie

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 6/14/2012, 1:03 am

westie your garlic and garden looks great!!

hugs

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 6/14/2012, 8:02 am

GWN wrote:plantoid, are these the ones you stratified by putting them in the fridge?

No ..... the ones I stratified in the fridge and planted are only 13 inches tall and escaped the storm damage... I must confess they took off like rockets and am amazed at their speed of growth .

Alison & I managed to collect the stems of the damaged ones together and ran a soft rubber band around the whole square foot of them ( did the same with some long onions stems as well ) .. so far they have stayed up right ..it's fingers crossed that they carry on growing , for this square has bulbs about 1 1/2 inch across four inches below the surface of the MM .

Once the tops start to yellow or I see evidence of a seed head forming I'll gently ease each plant up out the MM so the bulb is showing on the surface and see if it will start to dry or /grow a wee bit more before harvesting

I'll be putting pictures up in the show garden threads later tonight or sometime tomorrow for we've been away and things have really come on far better than I'd hoped.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 6/14/2012, 10:11 am

I'll be putting pictures up in the show garden threads later tonight or sometime tomorrow for we've been away and things have really come on far better than I'd hoped.
That will be great, you have such a beautiful yard.
I am curious whether the fridge/freezer stratifying worked and actually caused them to separate into cloves.
I have read where it is the stratification that causes the since clove to break into several
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

garlic - Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 4 Empty Garlic Scapes

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 6/14/2012, 11:25 am

New, to me, idea for fixing garlic scapes: grill 'em. Over a hot charcoal fire, lay a single layer of garlic scapes that have been rolled in olive oil. Turn and move them around for enough time to pick up a few char marks, and turn crisp tender. Remove to serving plate and salt with a bit of coarse sea salt. Great to nibble on while the steak or hamburgers cook!

And another thing: have any of you ever heard that one should leave uncut one or two scapes in the hard-neck garlic patch as an indicator of maturity? According to the online source, the scape will totally uncurl, stand up straight, and bulbils will show development--at this point, the garllic is ready to dig. New to me, but think I'll try it with the Bavarian Purple group, which is just starting to develop scapes.
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 7/17/2012, 9:49 am

nonna
I also read this year that the scape would be an indicator of maturity, so I left a few and dug up garlic before they opened
Now I have a new question.
A few scapes ended up in the compost pile and the flowers are starting to come open as little bulblets, now would these take 2 years to become garlic heads?
Are they like seeds and first develop into a clove and then a head??
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 7/17/2012, 10:32 am

GWN wrote:
That will be great, you have such a beautiful yard.
I am curious whether the fridge/freezer stratifying worked and actually caused them to separate into cloves.
I have read where it is the stratification that causes the since clove to break into several
I stratified the whole bulb for about 12 days at 3 oC on the fridge ( I've been to sleep since then Wink . Then I broke the bulb into cloves and planted them an inch deep , they came up within a fortnight and are now today nearly 15 inches tall .
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 7/17/2012, 11:00 am

I stratified the whole bulb for about 12 days at 3 oC on the fridge ( I've been to sleep since then . Then I broke the bulb into cloves and planted them an inch deep , they came up within a fortnight and are now today nearly 15 inches tall .
Interesting Dave
Will be anxious to see what you get out of that. When will you harvest?
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 7/17/2012, 11:07 am

GWN, If your compost-pile scapes go on to produce tiny dry cloves, and you have extra space to experiment, yes, go ahead and plant them around 1/4 inch deep. Next year they should send up infant leaves. Leave them as is, or thin if needed until the tiny bulbils each grow into a single larger bulb over the summer. In the fall, select the largest bulbs and replant as you would individual cloves from a fully mature head of garlic. The following summer should give you some heads that will form individual cloves, but they won't be as large as your original mother garlic....that takes another year. Having said that, a fun thing to do with a handful of garlic bulbils is to sprinkle them on an unused square, cover with Mel's mix, and wait 'til spring. They should form a garlicky patch looking much like chives. Use them the same as you would chives for a tasty garlic-infused treat. Of course, used this way, you won't be getting much in the way of bulbs. Experiment, enjoy! Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 7/17/2012, 1:12 pm

GWN wrote:
I stratified the whole bulb for about 12 days at 3 oC on the fridge ( I've been to sleep since then . Then I broke the bulb into cloves and planted them an inch deep , they came up within a fortnight and are now today nearly 15 inches tall .
Interesting Dave
Will be anxious to see what you get out of that. When will you harvest?

I've just been out to the gardens , thank goodness for my concrete pathways and high raised beds ..it's raining yet again.... poked my finger down the side of one of the scarified garlic clove stems , it is about 3/4 inch in diameter. They are a good 24 inches tall now for I also checked the height . These may not make a decent size due to the lateness of planting & four months of really crappy weather where temps have remained in the mid 60 oF's for most of it , sunshine has been almost non existant.

The other garlics planted last beginning of Novmber to end of Feb this year are really bulbing up .. left one with the flower on as the witness plant . But it is not developing into a bloom just a bulbus swelling up the 48 inch long stalk . Most of the leaves on these garlics are turning yellow on the tips. So once it ceases to precipitate I'll go and have a grope around the bulbs to see if it is time to lift them or leave them a little longer.
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 7/17/2012, 2:45 pm

I'll go and have a grope around the bulbs to see if it is time to lift them
Good luck with that. lol! lol!

I thought that it was more about timing vs size....
I read where you lift them sometime after the scapes form and before they seed. study
Or are those ones soft neck??
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 7/17/2012, 5:43 pm

Size does matter , I think ...... Embarassed
We ate the scrapes from this set of garlic a few weeks ago , I'd end up throwing any straight garlic into the compost bin or use it to make bug spray for I'd never be able to break down such an unformed bulb into cloves
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 7/17/2012, 9:11 pm

Plantoid, the small garlic cloves/bulbs are perfect for pickling. To easily slip them from their coats: bring a pan of water to a boil, throw in the separated jacketed cloves, boil for a minute or two. Remove from water with a sieve, and run under cold water to stop the cooking. Cut the root ends from each clove, pinch it and it should slip right out of its jacket...ready for use. Remember, if you want to make fresh pickles of a combination of vegetables (garlic cloves being a part), and you don't want the uncooked cloves to turn a unappetizing, but harmless, blue-green color from the acid in the pickling solution, you should simmer them for 4-5 minutes (depending on size and wheter you parboiled them for ease of peeling), then drain, cool and add garlic cloves to your pickling solution.
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  cpl100 8/24/2012, 3:23 pm

Has anyone grown garlic in pots? How deep do the pots need to be for success? I admire all the pictures shown in this thread. But I don't see any of garlic in pots nor mention of it. I need to put mine in pots if I grow it.
cpl100
cpl100

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 8/24/2012, 3:46 pm

I have not but I think in our region you run into the same problems as when we were discussing planting in the pool. The likelihood of heaving is pretty high.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

garlic - Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 4 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  cpl100 8/24/2012, 4:32 pm

camprn wrote:I have not but I think in our region you run into the same problems as when we were discussing planting in the pool. The likelihood of heaving is pretty high.

As a new gardener, this confuses me! If I can plant it in a six inch deep SFG box (as it seems people are doing), why can't I plant it in a 12 inch deep pot? I just don't get it!

I know I read to mulch it with straw, too, which is fine.

My problem is that I only have one SFG 4 x 4 box (and that is all I can have due to sun issues). I can't see how planting garlic in that box will work since it doesn't get harvested until well after spring crops are to be planted.
cpl100
cpl100

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 8/24/2012, 4:46 pm

cpl, please don't confuse what I said as meaning you cannot do that. I am not saying that it can't be done, but my experience tells me planting in small pots is not the best idea for garlic to survive the winter. You can do anything you want in your garden.

In a bed that is larger and deeper, the bed will freeze and then if mulched that larger mass will be less prone to temperature variation and there will be less likelihood of fluctuating freezing and thawing and heaving of the soil. If there is heaving this will disturb the planted garlic and any small root system that the grew before freezing. Also, in a small container there is less mass and is more likely to begin thawing during a warm spell, which is not desired. Have you Googled growing garlic in containers in New England?

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

garlic - Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 4 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 8/24/2012, 5:19 pm

cpl, When I planted tulip bulbs in pots last year, the instructions had me burying the pots at the edge of my compost pile for the winter for protection. I took them out in spring and they grew GREAT! You could probably do that with the garlic bulbs, but I don't know this for sure. Try it and see.

If no compost pile, a nice pile of leaves or brush would probably do the same thing.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 8/24/2012, 9:47 pm

cpl, You certainly can grow good garlic in pots. Just pick the largest pot you have available, fill it with Mel's mix and plant away. Don't know how cold it gets in your area, but even if you customarily get below-zero temps, just protect the pots with, as suggested elsewhere, leaves/compost on and around the pots until you start to see tulips sprouting in your or your neighbors' yards. Then uncover the garlic pots, move them into a sunny area, keep watered adequately, and harves your garlic sometime late June or early July, depending on the variety you plant. I'm a softy, and when I have a few garlic cloves left over from the dedicated beds, I've often pushed them down into flower pots after the plants have been removed for the winter. Go for it! Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 8/24/2012, 11:00 pm

I learned something new today.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

garlic - Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 4 Empty Growing garlic in pots/containers

Post  cjdunmore 8/26/2012, 11:50 pm

There is a problem growing garlic (and other plants) in containers. Small pots have a lot of surface which is exposed to the outside air temps. It can cause the entire pot to get very, very cold. I have grown garlic and onions in pots by using the following method; pour sand into an empty 5 gallon paint (or one of those orange buckets you get at the home improvement depot). Then when the temperatures drop below 35 degrees farenhiet put you garlic/onion pots in the sand buckets up to the top of the pot. The sand becomes an insulator for the pot. You can still water the pot and move it to the sunniest locations. You can even move the buckets out of the snow, hail storms and prolonged rain storms. Hope this helps
cjdunmore
cjdunmore

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 8/27/2012, 12:50 am

That is a great idea cjdnmore! glad you\'re here to the forum, I see this was your first post. I always love to see new members here! Are you also a square foot gardener?
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  cjdunmore 9/2/2012, 12:37 am

Yes, I am a 3 time Square Foot Gardner. By that I mean I have 3 seperate SFG which have evolved over the uears. One garden is in all day sun, one is in half day sun and one is in 2 hours sun. I also grow a lot of plants (mostly Veggies and Fruit) in pots and other containers. I find that I have very good success when I can move a pot or container from one location to another as the plant is growing.

By the way, the bit I wrote concerning growing Garlic and other plants in the cold works exactly the same when you have high heat. The pots get hot and fry the soil, which in turn fry the roots. So use the 5 gallon bucket for the very hot spells as well.
cjdunmore
cjdunmore

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 32 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18 ... 32  Next