Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
chipmunk control Toplef10chipmunk control 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

chipmunk control I22gcj10chipmunk control 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
chipmunk control Toplef10chipmunk control 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

chipmunk control I22gcj10chipmunk control 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by sanderson Today at 3:39 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Today at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Today at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Today at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

chipmunk control

+3
Too Tall Tomatoes
camprn
hruten
7 posters

Go down

chipmunk control Empty chipmunk control

Post  hruten 4/19/2012, 7:31 am

I don't even have plants in most of my containers, and those chipmunks are already at work. They even laugh at me at the dawn/dusk hours from their favorite perches Mad

I was wondering if surrounding vegetable/tomato cages with animal netting would be enough to deter them? Also, I found this recipe on a gardensalive.com website, has anyone tried it, and does it work?

"Or mix up a batch of my personal repellant recipe, which also deters rabbits and many insect pests: Whiz up one clove of garlic and one hot pepper in a pint of water, strain, pour into a sprayer that has never held chemicals, add one drop each of liquid dishwashing soap and vegetable oil and spray on the plants you wish to protect, shaking frequently."
hruten
hruten

Female Posts : 159

Back to top Go down

chipmunk control Empty Re: chipmunk control

Post  camprn 4/19/2012, 7:36 am

Give it a try, I sprinkled cajun spice mix onto my onion s and pea the other day to keep the squirrels out. It works, mostly... they really don't like the pepper. Chipmunks are tenacious little buggers.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

chipmunk control WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Too Tall Tomatoes 4/19/2012, 8:08 am

camprn wrote:Give it a try, I sprinkled cajun spice mix onto my onion s and pea the other day to keep the squirrels out. It works, mostly... they really don't like the pepper. Chipmunks are tenacious little buggers.

I know squirrels don't like hot pepper. Tried that on a back porch throw rug that one has been chewing on and after application of the pepper, no more squirrel. Twisted Evil

Won't using a spice mix add salt to the garden?
Too Tall Tomatoes
Too Tall Tomatoes

Male Posts : 1069

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/19/2012, 8:14 am

Too Tall Tomatoes wrote:

yeah, a little bit, but it was all I had and they were digging every day. Stoopid squirrels. I am going to Job Lot to pick up some straight powdered red pepper.

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

chipmunk control WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  Too Tall Tomatoes 4/19/2012, 8:25 am

camprn wrote:
Too Tall Tomatoes wrote:

yeah, a little bit, but it was all I had and they were digging every day. Stoopid squirrels. I am going to Job Lot to pick up some straight powdered red pepper.

Well if it's straight red pepper, then it will most likely work a lot better than a spice mix. Squirrels hate that.

Wanna "torture" a squirrel? Coat a peanut with red pepper Twisted Evil
Too Tall Tomatoes
Too Tall Tomatoes

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/19/2012, 8:32 am

I don't want to torture anything... Shocked... I just want them to stay out of my garden beds.

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  Too Tall Tomatoes 4/19/2012, 8:48 am

camprn wrote:I don't want to torture anything... Shocked... I just want them to stay out of my garden beds.

I didn't mean torture as in the traditional sense of torture.....

I meant to say that since squirrels love peanuts so much, it would be "torturous" for them to not be able to eat a red pepper coated peanut.

I'm sorry if I sounded as though I hate animals.....that's not what I meant.
Too Tall Tomatoes
Too Tall Tomatoes

Back to top Go down

chipmunk control Empty appreciate the Humor!

Post  hruten 4/19/2012, 9:00 am

As I watch the multiple squirrels and chipmunks on my deck... I REALLY appreciate the humor!chipmunk control 889526

I will first put an old stock of Cayenne pepper to work, and watch the result. I will say that I'm going to be pretty peeved if I find and oak tree growing in my tomato pot!Evil or Very Mad
hruten
hruten

Female Posts : 159

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 4/19/2012, 11:15 am

hruten wrote:As I watch the multiple squirrels and chipmunks on my deck... I REALLY appreciate the humor!chipmunk control 889526

I will first put an old stock of Cayenne pepper to work, and watch the result. I will say that I'm going to be pretty peeved if I find and oak tree growing in my tomato pot!Evil or Very Mad

Last night I cleaned out a box and planted my carrots. Before it was ready for the carrots I had to clean out not only the weeds that had sprouted (not many) but also the corn that was sprouting that the squirrels planted, and the walnuts that the squirrels hid in the bed! Cayenne is going to be a MUCH earlier pest control device this year!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  ksbmom 4/19/2012, 1:51 pm

The squirrels around here are too busy with my neighbor's bird feeder to bother my garden, BUT....the armadillos have been busy! Goose Girl - we just got two geese and I'm really having a time keeping them out of the SFG!! My hubby's going to put up a fence around an area of the backyard to keep them contained but I'm afraid by the time he gets it done my eggplant and pole beans will be history......they've already eaten two collard plants down to nothing! They sure are cute though the way they follow us around the yard Laughing
ksbmom
ksbmom

Female Posts : 146

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps 4/19/2012, 2:39 pm

I had a problem with squirrels and was told to put hot pepper powder in the garden...It worked like a dream! They go all *around* my boxes, but no longer dig *in* the box. cheers cheers cheers Since chipmunks are rodents too, hopefully it'll work for them, also.

@ ksbmom: I just found out yesterday that a hole that mysteriously appeared in the lawn just in front of the concrete pad outside the side door to our garage was made by armadillos. I never see them in the yard, but our next door neighbor on that side said they dig in his front yard all the time; he can't find any way to stop them. I had no idea they could be such horrible pests.chipmunk control A15Just one more thing to add to the list, like we needed that. Now I'm truly hoping they stay out of my back yard!
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Female Posts : 862
Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 4/19/2012, 3:53 pm

ksbmom wrote:Goose Girl - we just got two geese and I'm really having a time keeping them out of the SFG!! My hubby's going to put up a fence around an area of the backyard to keep them contained but I'm afraid by the time he gets it done my eggplant and pole beans will be history......they've already eaten two collard plants down to nothing! They sure are cute though the way they follow us around the yard Laughing

There are certain crops that they will not touch - geese were used as 'weeders' before the advent of chemical herbicides. I think strawberries are one of them. I will see what I can find on other crops!

GG

PS: Okay - found this on Metzer Farms website

"Which Crops?
Geese can be used in a wide variety of crops and situations as their diet includes few broad-leafed plants and favors grasses.

They are used extensively in garlic, strawberries, potatoes, cane berries, tobacco, cotton, mint and other herbs. They can also be used in sugar beets, tomatoes, onion, carrots, hops, blueberries, evergreen and deciduous nursery crops, and in orchards."

Last edited by Goosegirl on 4/19/2012, 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Addition and spelling!)
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 4/19/2012, 3:59 pm

Anyone who golfs in this area can attest to the way geese love grass. Golf courses use all kinds of things to drive them away.
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  ksbmom 4/19/2012, 4:17 pm

Thanks for the info, Goose Girl - my geese obviously don't know they're NOT supposed to eat my tomato and pepper plants...Shocked My husband's not going to be happy when he sees what they've done to his hot pepper bed! But they are doing a nice job keeping the grass out from between the bricks on the patio! I was wondering why they didn't eat the mint - now I know!
ksbmom
ksbmom

Female Posts : 146

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down