Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
RATS!!!! Toplef10RATS!!!! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

RATS!!!! I22gcj10RATS!!!! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
RATS!!!! Toplef10RATS!!!! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

RATS!!!! I22gcj10RATS!!!! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 5:02 pm

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener Today at 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Yesterday at 11:23 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

RATS!!!!

+8
llama momma
ksbmom
GWN
camprn
Joyce_S
B maier
sfg4uKim
obrdrln
12 posters

Go down

RATS!!!! Empty RATS!!!!

Post  obrdrln 3/23/2012, 5:37 pm

Well, starting to mix my MM and, as I've found in the past-----

I have the BRAINS

I have the BEAUTY

I DO NOT have the BRAUN!!!!!!

Needed, stong kid who isn't afraid of some work-----I'll bake you a cake?????

Judy
obrdrln
obrdrln

Female Posts : 66

Back to top Go down

RATS!!!! Empty Re: RATS!!!!

Post  sfg4uKim 3/23/2012, 5:47 pm

I'm on vacation in Williamsburg. Just a bit too far away.

May I suggest smaller batches. That's what I have to do.

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

RATS!!!! WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  B maier 3/23/2012, 6:41 pm

Yeah.... I don't like the recomeeded method. I dumped my stuff diectly into the boxes in layers and then just casually mixed it together with a large fork like object. Stab, twist, lift. It worked ok and didn't break my back... might have taken me longer though.
B maier
B maier

Female Posts : 39

Back to top Go down

Post  obrdrln 3/23/2012, 7:50 pm

Ended up mixing the compost(s) with the vermiculite then shoveling some of that into a galvanized tub and adding the peat until it was, what I thought to be, the right color (remember, I'm a quilter!!). Got the 4 x 4 and one 2 x 4 filled. I have what appears to be a 2/3 mix of compost and vermiculite and a wheelbarrow of peat to make up the remaining 1/3 of the mix left to combine.

Just got in there with our hands and a hoe and rake to mix it all up. Rollin the tarp around proved to be cumbersome!

If it isn't pouring tomorrow, I'll put the lathing on. YIPPEEEE!!!! Oh, and do one more 2 x 4--the Harvest Table.

We're on our way!

Judy
obrdrln
obrdrln

Back to top Go down

Post  Joyce_S 3/23/2012, 8:47 pm

I purchased a rolling composter (drum) to start composting. I plan to use it to mix my Mel's Mix. That project will start as soon as I find my 5th type of compost; hopefully, sometime this weekend. I'll let you know how it works out.
Joyce_S
Joyce_S

Female Posts : 11

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 3/23/2012, 8:50 pm

B maier wrote:Yeah.... I don't like the recomeeded method. I dumped my stuff diectly into the boxes in layers and then just casually mixed it together with a large fork like object. Stab, twist, lift. It worked ok and didn't break my back... might have taken me longer though.
Me too, or by the wheel barrow full. RATS!!!! 311672 Boffer the Gadget Master uses a cement mixer. Smart fella!!!
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t867-cement-mixer-mixing-mels-mix

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

RATS!!!! WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 3/23/2012, 8:54 pm

I measured it all onto a large piece of plastic and then alternating corners, I pulled the corner towards the corner kitty corner to it. I just kept going around and around. I found by pulling I was using my weight instead of my arms.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  ksbmom 3/23/2012, 8:57 pm

We dump everything in the back of hubby's pickup truck, mix with shovels, then back the truck up to the bed and dump! Well, actually it's more like pushing it out the back, but it's pretty quick. (Good thing he's in the driver's seat, 'cuz the beds are right by the pond and if I were driving, I'm afraid we'd all end up in the water.....) Laughing
ksbmom
ksbmom

Female Posts : 146

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 3/24/2012, 7:21 am

I'm a sit-down gardener whenever I can. So with a padded footstool, bucket, tarp, trowel and gloves, I have the ingredients next to me and measure, mix and spray a bucket at a time. Feel I can control a more thorough mixing. It works better for me than flipping a tarp around as the book describes. When the pile is a size I can comfortably manage then it's time to stand up and shovel it into the box. It's slow going but who cares. The oldies radio station helps pass the time.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  kittykat 3/24/2012, 11:15 am

I read somewhere around here that someone mixes up their 5 composts first, then has the vermiculite separate and the fluffed peat separate... from there, it's just a matter of 1/3, 1/3, 1/3, by whatever size bucket or scoop works for you. I like that idea, as I will be able to scoop it in a 5-gallon bucket and mix in a wheelbarrow.

I'm working with existing raised garden beds that I had filled with the local "garden mix" before I realized about Mel's Mix. Our garden mix is peat, composted chicken manure and sand. I realize now that it's going to be lacking. I'll find some vermiculite to add to it before I plant any more (only peas so far), and I'll top-dress with a mixed manure as I can and also feed with compost tea. I'll have to make do with that for this year. Not perfect, but it's what I have...

edited to add: Oh - and my worm tubes - that should help with the lack of mixed compost, too...

RATS!!!! 274447

Last edited by kittykat on 3/24/2012, 11:33 am; edited 1 time in total
kittykat
kittykat

Back to top Go down

Post  obrdrln 3/24/2012, 11:33 am

I've done what I've done----can't imagine I've done anything horribly *wrong*. I guess time will tell, huh? The mixture looks to be 1/3-1/3-1/3, so......

Judy
obrdrln
obrdrln

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindacol 3/24/2012, 12:37 pm

Because of the way my garden is layed out it is easier for me to mix in the bed, especially the tabletops.

I use a 5 gallon bucket. I add one bucket of compost (homemade with a little added worm castings) and one bucket of peat(fluffed as I fill the bucket) and one bucket of vermiculite. Then mix in the bed using my hands or a grain scoop, spread out in a flat layer then add water. Repeat till full. If I have different composts in a larger bed I have used seperate composts in each layer, then more mixing as I go.

This way I have only lifted each bucket amount one time. Easier for me and most is done standing up.
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 3/24/2012, 1:06 pm

The very first time made Mel's Mix I eye-balled 1/3 each of peat, vermiculite and homegrown compost into my puppy's pool. Walked a circle around it twice while using a flat nose shovel, turning as I walked. Shoveled that into the box. Seems like it took to pools worth of mix to fill a box. Toughest part was starting where I wanted to work instead of trying to drag a full pool of mix to where I could walk around it or get it into the box. I would still be doing this if my husband had not read the book, bought a tarp and came out to help me. Two people and a tarp make the job much faster.

RATS!!!! Sfg_3_10

Pool idea from Donnas Square Foot Garden videos
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 3/24/2012, 3:08 pm

Last year it took me 3 days to mix up the 60 cu ft of MM I needed for my beds. I just couldn't do it all in one day. Used a very large tarp and garden rake.

Day 1 mixed all the composts till well blended.

Day 2 spread the blended composts out over tarp and covered with peat, fluffing as I pulled it out of the bales. Blended all together

Day 3 spread out the above blend and pour vermiculite over it all. Then more pushing and pulling the rake.

Day 4. I just left it wrapped up cause it rained.

Then 2 weeks later I repeated it all at my son's house while he built beds.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindacol 3/24/2012, 3:23 pm

Lavender Debs wrote:The very first time made Mel's Mix I eye-balled 1/3 each of peat, vermiculite and homegrown compost into my puppy's pool. Walked a circle around it twice while using a flat nose shovel, turning as I walked. Shoveled that into the box. Seems like it took to pools worth of mix to fill a box. Toughest part was starting where I wanted to work instead of trying to drag a full pool of mix to where I could walk around it or get it into the box. I would still be doing this if my husband had not read the book, bought a tarp and came out to help me. Two people and a tarp make the job much faster.

For 2 people the tarp makes sense but for one person a bucket into the bed works better. I look at it this way: Scooping the materials (compost, vermiculite & peat) into a bucket & putting it directly in the bed means I have to move it only one time. Using the tarp I have to scoop into something ( a bucket) to measure, then dump on the trap and mix, then scoop it up somehow again and get it into the bed. Also if I used a tarp I would have to mix it outside my fenced in garden area and then carry it further to the beds. Plus I can not just leave it out on a tarp because my dogs would destroy it.

Each of us will have different situations and limitations to work with. But once the beds are filled, the hard part is done. Next year you only need to add more compost and mix it in. That is if you are not adding more beeds but then you will have figured out the easiest way to do it to fit your situation.
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Post  Joyce_S 3/27/2012, 5:34 pm

Joyce_S wrote:I purchased a rolling composter (drum) to start composting. I plan to use it to mix my Mel's Mix. That project will start as soon as I find my 5th type of compost; hopefully, sometime this weekend. I'll let you know how it works out.

Mixing with the rolling composter worked well. I used a plastic flower pot to measure out a potful each of the composts which turned out to be about 3/4 of a plastic kitty litter (PKL) bucket. Added to the composter, then added 3/4 PKL bucket of vermiculite and 3/4 PKL bucket of fluffed peat moss. Four turns of the composter and, voila, awesomely mixed MM. Scoop MM out of composter into PKL buckets, carry to squares and dump. Repeat until squares are full.

It took more of everything than I had calculated. The last square is a bit heavy on compost and light on vermiculite and peat moss. Oh, well.
Joyce_S
Joyce_S

Female Posts : 11

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 3/27/2012, 9:53 pm

If you are forced to make an error, heavy on compost is the one to make.

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down