Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Encouraging SFG Toplef10Encouraging SFG 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Encouraging SFG I22gcj10Encouraging SFG 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Encouraging SFG Toplef10Encouraging SFG 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Encouraging SFG I22gcj10Encouraging SFG 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Encouraging SFG

3 posters

Go down

Encouraging SFG Empty Encouraging SFG

Post  walshevak 3/16/2012, 8:34 am

I lectured had a discusion yesterday with a plant shop owner in Va. Beach who was complaining he didn't have space for a veggie garden and lived on a slope going down to the river. I took him out into his own plant yard where he had approx 4x4 sturdy plant tables set up and asked him. how many of these could you set in your yard and still leave yard space. He said about 3. I said, you have the space for a very nice veggie garden, just build 8" high frames on top of 3 of these tables. Told him about Mel's book and directed him to Lowes to buy it. Then bought 2 bags of a lobster, kelp and forest fines compost from him, all the while telling him this was one of 5 to to in my garden and how hard I had been searching for a fifth kind. Very Happy I even directed him to his competition about 3 miles up the road as a source of vermiculite.

Later I stopped in my local nursery and bought their last bag of vermiculite. I just found out last week that they sell it. I had been driving 45 miles to Va Beach to get it. They don't keep a bag on display, just have some in the back. The lady I was talking to was mentioning about how fast their stock was selling. Now, our local soil around here is very sandy loam, so tilth is not generally a problem, compost is the needed ingredient. So, I'm thinking a lot of people are building raised beds and are needing the vermiculite to fluff up the compost. Not saying they are SFgardeners, just thinking. So I start talking to her about the SFG method I use and how hard it is to find 5 composts and how I can get only 3 from her. Told her about finding a lobster/kelp blend in Va Beach and wished I could remember the name. She was interested enough to say she was going to look at her suppliers and see if she could find another type. She said if I was looking then others might be too. Too late for a big order from me as I have already filled my beds and have a compost bin and a worm bin started for replenishment, but hey, we spread the word when we can. But I may still still need to make a batch for pots and to add to a blend for replenishing my squares.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Encouraging SFG Empty Re: Encouraging SFG

Post  gwennifer 3/16/2012, 12:51 pm

cheers That's great Walshevak! Good for you! Spread the word when you can. We're changing the way people garden - one square at a time!
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 3/16/2012, 1:29 pm

walshevak wrote:I lectured had a discusion yesterday with a plant shop owner in Va. Beach who was complaining he didn't have space for a veggie garden and lived on a slope going down to the river. I took him out into his own plant yard where he had approx 4x4 sturdy plant tables set up and asked him. how many of these could you set in your yard and still leave yard space. He said about 3. I said, you have the space for a very nice veggie garden, just build 8" high frames on top of 3 of these tables. Told him about Mel's book and directed him to Lowes to buy it. Then bought 2 bags of a lobster, kelp and forest fines compost from him, all the while telling him this was one of 5 to to in my garden and how hard I had been searching for a fifth kind. Very Happy I even directed him to his competition about 3 miles up the road as a source of vermiculite.

Later I stopped in my local nursery and bought their last bag of vermiculite. I just found out last week that they sell it. I had been driving 45 miles to Va Beach to get it. They don't keep a bag on display, just have some in the back. The lady I was talking to was mentioning about how fast their stock was selling. Now, our local soil around here is very sandy loam, so tilth is not generally a problem, compost is the needed ingredient. So, I'm thinking a lot of people are building raised beds and are needing the vermiculite to fluff up the compost. Not saying they are SFgardeners, just thinking. So I start talking to her about the SFG method I use and how hard it is to find 5 composts and how I can get only 3 from her. Told her about finding a lobster/kelp blend in Va Beach and wished I could remember the name. She was interested enough to say she was going to look at her suppliers and see if she could find another type. She said if I was looking then others might be too. Too late for a big order from me as I have already filled my beds and have a compost bin and a worm bin started for replenishment, but hey, we spread the word when we can. But I may still still need to make a batch for pots and to add to a blend for replenishing my squares.

Kay

Kay - you've brilliant!

I wonder if we could brainstorm and come up with a 1-page write up that we could print out and hand to our local nurseries? This way after talking with them, we can hand them the paper so they have something to remind them what we discussed.

Do you think this would be better if it came from the SFG Foundation? I'm sure they'll invite us to download their tri-fold brochure, but I really think this should be directed SPECIFICALLY to the nurseries (or even big box store managers).

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

Encouraging SFG WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 3/16/2012, 3:34 pm

Is there a way to modify the foundation's brochure? It annoy's me to no end that Lowes sells the book, but not the ingredients here in my area.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content