Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Comparing condensed version of ANSFG book to the full version Toplef10Comparing condensed version of ANSFG book to the full version 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Comparing condensed version of ANSFG book to the full version I22gcj10Comparing condensed version of ANSFG book to the full version 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Comparing condensed version of ANSFG book to the full version Toplef10Comparing condensed version of ANSFG book to the full version 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Comparing condensed version of ANSFG book to the full version I22gcj10Comparing condensed version of ANSFG book to the full version 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Today at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Today at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:55 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:53 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm Yesterday at 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Comparing condensed version of ANSFG book to the full version

+7
boffer
sfg4uKim
miscellaneous
jhayford
mijejo
tomperrin
CindiLou
11 posters

Go down

Comparing condensed version of ANSFG book to the full version Empty Comparing condensed version of ANSFG book to the full version

Post  CindiLou 1/19/2012, 3:15 pm

Ok, I'm cheap, I admit it. I got the Dollar General ($5) version of ANSFG instead of the full version ($20 ($17.99 at Menards)list price). Figured I would save the money. Didn't think there was that much difference between the two besides the plant discriptions and the cost.

There is lol...

First thing I noticed, the more expanded version is in COLOR! I so love that lol..

The one thing I noticed was that Chapter 8 (vertical gardening) in the condensed version was only 4 pages long! In the larger issue it is 20pgs with pictures of how to build vertical, ect. With additional information of course!

Also includes Chapter 10 (Special Gardens and Gardeners)
This is an interesting chapter on different solutions to garden locations and ideas for programs.

Another is the plant descriptions. Mr. Bartholomew also included tips there. While I did not feel I needed this before, it is full of ways to help care for the individual type of plant. Very nice.

Mel's final summary is expanded a bit. This was interesting to read.

And finally, the charts in color are much nicer and easier to read and includes a glossary that would be very helpful to beginning gardeners. Ok, and maybe some of us old timers also!

So in the end, if your handing the book out when people show an interest, it is a more affordable way to get them started. Also give them the addy for this forum! I print it on the inside front cover. But make them aware that it is condensed!

But if you want to ENJOY the book, spend the extra money to get the full version! The pictures and additional informations is great!

I was using the original book the first year I did square foot gardening. Still a handy book.
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Comparing condensed version of ANSFG book to the full version Empty Bringing SFG mainstream

Post  tomperrin 1/19/2012, 4:37 pm

That's very interesting. I didn't know that there was a cheap $5.00 version. This is actually a very good idea. It brings SFG to those that shop a lot at Dollar General, and this is arguably the group that would benefit most from SFG. I just wish there was an inexpensive version of Mel's Mix, even tho when amortized over 5 years or so, it's not expensive at all.
tomperrin
tomperrin

Male Posts : 350
Location : Burlington, NJ Zone 7a (2012 version), in the hollow, surrounded by trees.

Back to top Go down

Comparing condensed version of ANSFG book to the full version Empty Re: Comparing condensed version of ANSFG book to the full version

Post  mijejo 1/19/2012, 10:29 pm

C'mon. I suspect most libraries have copies of the book that one may borrow for free. To be honest, when I knew I wanted to start a garden. I placed a number of garden books on hold at my local library. AN SFG was one of them! Now, here I am with 4 4'x16' beds and plans to double it this year. I eventually purchased my own copy. The point I wish to make is that the resource is available - FREE - assuming your library is willing to provide a copy.
mijejo
mijejo

Back to top Go down

Comparing condensed version of ANSFG book to the full version Empty Re: Comparing condensed version of ANSFG book to the full version

Post  jhayford 1/19/2012, 10:39 pm

Our library doesn't have either SFG book. I agree though the people that shop at dollar general can maybe gain the most out of SFG. Maybe someone can put together a inexpensive kit for them too 3x3 because most would be limited by patios and such. Too bad Health and Human resources doesn't embrace this concept. I know it would have helped me more than WIC who gives you too much of what you wont eat. Sorry I babble
jhayford
jhayford

Female Posts : 61

Back to top Go down

Post  miscellaneous 1/19/2012, 10:54 pm

I didn't know there was a condensed - the covers look the same and I didn't see anything on mine that told me it was the condensed version!! I just checked and it looks like my library has it b/c it says "col. ill." (color illustrations), hope that's accurate. It's checked out at the moment, but I put in a request. Thanks for making me aware.
miscellaneous
miscellaneous

Female Posts : 7

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 1/19/2012, 11:20 pm

Previous Post from 2010

If you don't have time to read the whole thing, this came from Alan at the Foundation:

Mel is
verifying with the publisher, but apparently this might be real. Cool
springs told him that they were thinking about coming out with a
condensed version of the book for dollar stores, but he had not heard
more about it. That was a long time ago. If that's true, I like that
they want to reach out to those who can't afford the book or to those
who shop in that market, but the book was already very simplified(hence
the beauty of it) and I am worried that too much has been taken off. we
will see. Alan Comparing condensed version of ANSFG book to the full version Icon_question

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

Comparing condensed version of ANSFG book to the full version WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 1/19/2012, 11:23 pm

We had a discussion on the forum nearly two years ago, that Mel had had problems with one publisher regarding the condensed book. I don't recall all the details, but I don't think there is to be another printing. And as Cindy pointed out, the condensed version leaves a lot to be desired.

The library is free; members have mentioned buying it for $12. Some have tried to get by, by just studying the forum and the SFG website, although some of them don't recommend that route. Don't forget, the ANSFG book is the only gardening book you'll ever need to buy.

As far as I'm concerned, SFG can be free, if you want it to be. It's just that the American demand for instant gratification and appearance gets in the way. With a little patience, thought, and effort, one could make one's own five way compost for free over a period of a few months and then be ready to plant. The vermiculite and peat could come later as finances permitted, and they are one time purchases that should last a lifetime. Creative people will find ways to make boxes and grids for free.

Don't tell me how expensive SFG is to get started. It used to be that we had to wait to save up for valuable things that we wanted. We can still wait, and be patient, and get started for free if we want to. Last year a new forum member told us that she just couldn't afford to get five kinds of compost, and against our advice, she told us that two types would have to suffice. Two days later she was all excited and posted pictures of the five box kits she just bought from the big box store for $45 each...but she could only afford two composts. Some people just don't understand priorities.

(Kim found what I was thinking of)
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 1/20/2012, 7:09 am

boffer wrote:The library is free; members have mentioned buying it for $12. Some have tried to get by, by just studying the forum and the SFG website, although some of them don't recommend that route. Don't forget, the ANSFG book is the only gardening book you'll ever need to buy.

As far as I'm concerned, SFG can be free, if you want it to be. It's just that the American demand for instant gratification and appearance gets in the way. With a little patience, thought, and effort, one could make one's own five way compost for free over a period of a few months and then be ready to plant. The vermiculite and peat could come later as finances permitted, and they are one time purchases that should last a lifetime. Creative people will find ways to make boxes and grids for free.

Don't tell me how expensive SFG is to get started. It used to be that we had to wait to save up for valuable things that we wanted. We can still wait, and be patient, and get started for free if we want to. Last year a new forum member told us that she just couldn't afford to get five kinds of compost, and against our advice, she told us that two types would have to suffice. Two days later she was all excited and posted pictures of the five box kits she just bought from the big box store for $45 each...but she could only afford two composts. Some people just don't understand priorities.
+1 it is all about priorities and patience. What a Face And being creative.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Comparing condensed version of ANSFG book to the full version WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  genes 1/20/2012, 10:07 am

Boffer, tell us how you really feel! Razz
genes
genes

Back to top Go down

Post  mijejo 1/20/2012, 10:50 am

jhayford and others,

Most libraries will happily order books that patrons request. In addition, if you own an e-reader (Kindle, Nook, etc.), there are a number of ways to "borrow" an electronic version of ANSFG.

If you are serious about SFGing, investment in the book is a good idea. I refer to mine frequently. For fun and enlightment, boffer gave assignments to those willing to participate. That activity was both fun and educational for the forum readers. boffer, please do another type of assignment soon!
mijejo
mijejo

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 1/20/2012, 1:15 pm

I enjoyed that too! I passed the idea along to NR. I know he's got some good stuff lined up on the calendar for now.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  littlesapphire 1/20/2012, 2:14 pm

I've never seen a condensed ANSFG book, but I HAVE seen a small booklet (pamphlet, maybe?) that you could probably stick in your wallet. It was being sold at our local Wegmans in the seasonal isle, and was $1.50 regularly and $.49 on sale. I should have bought all the ones on sale and handed them out to people!
littlesapphire
littlesapphire

Female Posts : 826

http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 1/20/2012, 3:13 pm

All I am saying is it is a way to snag the attention of some that may not even realize it only takes a small space. Or that may have never thought of gardening.

I know libraries have/can get the book. But you have to know about it to begin with or have a higher interest than just "hey that is interesting".

Yes you can get it at the library, yes you can get the info online, yes you can save up the money.

But before all that SOMETHING HAS TO SNAG YOUR INTEREST!

I think the Dollar general version is adequate for that. Then once they are hooked they will naturally research more! Especially if you write this addy inside and mention that it is the "condensed" version. We humans tend to research things we are interested in. Just a human curiosity factor lol...
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 1/21/2012, 7:57 am

CindiLou wrote:All I am saying is it is a way to snag the attention of some that may not even realize it only takes a small space. Or that may have never thought of gardening.

I know libraries have/can get the book. But you have to know about it to begin with or have a higher interest than just "hey that is interesting".

Yes you can get it at the library, yes you can get the info online, yes you can save up the money.

But before all that SOMETHING HAS TO SNAG YOUR INTEREST!

I think the Dollar general version is adequate for that. Then once they are hooked they will naturally research more! Especially if you write this addy inside and mention that it is the "condensed" version. We humans tend to research things we are interested in. Just a human curiosity factor lol...

I am one of those that was "snagged" by the cheapie book. We were going on a vacation and I wanted some reading material for the drive. I was sold on the method before we got out of the state of Miss. I had no idea I had a different book until the forum had a discussion a year or so ago. I then went out and bought the full version ANSFG book Smile Now I have it spiral bound to use more often.
Now when I buy books for folks to give them away, I give them the full version of ANSFG because I dont want them to miss out on anything I did in the beginning. (follow the book and compost is your backbone)
Glad I found SFG
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Female Posts : 1123
Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down