Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Mel's book - Hard copy vs. E-book Toplef10Mel's book - Hard copy vs. E-book 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Mel's book - Hard copy vs. E-book I22gcj10Mel's book - Hard copy vs. E-book 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Mel's book - Hard copy vs. E-book Toplef10Mel's book - Hard copy vs. E-book 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Mel's book - Hard copy vs. E-book I22gcj10Mel's book - Hard copy vs. E-book 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 2:25 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by Scorpio Rising Today at 2:05 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Mel's book - Hard copy vs. E-book

4 posters

Go down

Mel's book - Hard copy vs. E-book Empty Mel's book - Hard copy vs. E-book

Post  Windmere 3/31/2014, 1:32 am

I realized a while ago that I had misplaced my copy of ANSFG 2nd just in time for spring (grrr!!).  Well, I noticed that if you bought the hard copy from Amazon, you may purchase the e-book for $2.99 instead of the normal $12.99.  For me, this makes for a more permanent source for the book (especially since the book is stored in Amazon's cloud for downloading to any compatible device).

One thing of significance about the e-book though:  The book does not contain actual page numbers.  Often folks posting here will refer to a specific page number, and that won't help if you are using the e-book.
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Mel's book - Hard copy vs. E-book Empty Re: Mel's book - Hard copy vs. E-book

Post  sanderson 3/31/2014, 4:11 am

Windmere wrote:
One thing of significance about the e-book though:  The book does not contain actual page numbers.  Often folks posting here will refer to a specific page number, and that won't help if you are using the e-book.

As one who quotes the book, it's a good thing to keep in mind for e-bookers.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 3/31/2014, 1:06 pm

What people normally do for e-books is cite the location number, but that only helps other e-book readers, and vice-versa when people cite page numbers. It's a true limitation of both forms.

What I would really like best of all is both print and e-book versions. That's what I've gotten for some few things I wanted to study and to be able to reference especially well. I find e-books far easier and much, much quicker to read, but the ability to find and write notes on material is much slower and more cumbersome on an e-book.

One day I do want to put together a set of ultimate references together on a nice big color tablet, though. Books on bugs and plant diseases and weeds, as well as wild and cultivated varieties of plants of all types, with great big sharp pictures for identification, in e-books that are especially well-organized and easy to search through quickly. Take it all down to the garden in a package that only weighs a pound.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 3/31/2014, 1:25 pm

I like the hard copy best because I write notes in the margins, recording frost dates, germination rates, etc...

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Mel's book - Hard copy vs. E-book WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Mel's book - Hard copy vs. E-book Empty Benefits of both

Post  Windmere 3/31/2014, 2:19 pm

I also prefer the hard copy of gardening books because of notes in margins, etc.  I also find it more convenient when referring to it while in the garden (plus I don't need to envelop it in plastic to protect e-book reader electronics).

However, being able to read at night with a back lit e-book, and not disturb my sleeping wife, is a definite plus for me.  Since I pretty much always know where my Kindle is, I'm pretty sure not to lose it (famous last words?).  In any case, an e-book usually can be downloaded to a computer for reading as well, so there is an extra back up with that method.

It is possible for e-books to have actual page numbers, but in looking at ANSFG 2nd, I can see that formatting issues would prevent including actual page numbers.

study
Windmere
Windmere

Back to top Go down

Mel's book - Hard copy vs. E-book Empty Link to free Amazon E-books

Post  Windmere 3/31/2014, 2:31 pm

Marc Iverson wrote:What people normally do for e-books is cite the location number, but that only helps other e-book readers, and vice-versa when people cite page numbers.  It's a true limitation of both forms.

What I would really like best of all is both print and e-book versions.  That's what I've gotten for some few things I wanted to study and to be able to reference especially well.   I find e-books far easier and much, much quicker to read, but the ability to find and write notes on material is much slower and more cumbersome on an e-book.

One day I do want to put together a set of ultimate references together on a nice big color tablet, though. Books on bugs and plant diseases and weeds, as well as wild and cultivated varieties of plants of all types, with great big sharp pictures for identification, in e-books that are especially well-organized and easy to search through quickly.  Take it all down to the garden in a package that only weighs a pound.

Mark, I would like t do the same.  I thought about what you said, and I wanted to share with you a link to best selling free Amazon gardening e-books.  The list changes all the time, so keep referring to this link to find more every day.  Also, be sure the price is zero before you "buy" because sometimes a book remains on the list, but the purchase section on the description page has changed to a "paid" figure.

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Kindle-Store-Gardening-Horticulture/zgbs/digital-text/156828011/ref=zg_bs_nav_kstore_3_156699011?_encoding=UTF8&tf=1

Certainly not all these books are very good, but occasionally you find some gems.

UPDATE 2:46 P.M. - My wife just found my paperback book.  Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Windmere on 3/31/2014, 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Found the Book!)
Windmere
Windmere

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 3/31/2014, 5:22 pm

Thanks, Windmere. It hadn't occurred to me to look for gardening books that way on Amazon.

Just a heads-up to you and others -- I got the SFG answer book last week for I think $2.99, so even Mel's books go on sale sometimes.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down