Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Rabbit mixed with Pine Pellets? Toplef10Rabbit mixed with Pine Pellets? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Rabbit mixed with Pine Pellets? I22gcj10Rabbit mixed with Pine Pellets? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Rabbit mixed with Pine Pellets? Toplef10Rabbit mixed with Pine Pellets? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Rabbit mixed with Pine Pellets? I22gcj10Rabbit mixed with Pine Pellets? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/17/2024, 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

» Horsey poop
by MrBooker 2/29/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Rabbit mixed with Pine Pellets?

+3
staf74
RoOsTeR
Rhianna78
7 posters

Go down

Rabbit mixed with Pine Pellets? Empty Rabbit mixed with Pine Pellets?

Post  Rhianna78 1/9/2012, 7:57 am

I found a local rabbit breeder that will let me get some poo for fertilizer but she mixes pine pellets in to it. Neither of us are sure if it would be a bad thing. I know pine can kill everything but with the pellets I don't know their pH levels. Any help from a bunny parent or SFGer that uses bunny poo?
Rhianna78
Rhianna78

Female Posts : 45

Back to top Go down

Rabbit mixed with Pine Pellets? Empty Re: Rabbit mixed with Pine Pellets?

Post  RoOsTeR 1/9/2012, 9:25 am

I am not a pine pellet expert, but I would think as long as they are the 100% pine pellet type, they should be just fine to use. They will however need to be composted Very Happy

Rabbit mixed with Pine Pellets? Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  staf74 1/9/2012, 10:43 am

I found a small discussion on the topic here for you

http://www.kitchencomposterblog.com/garden-compost/is-pine-sawdust-okay-in-your-gardencompost

The consensus from the comments section appear to be that after composting the poop/pine mix, the pH would be neutral and fine to add to the garden. Straight pine needles are around 6 (pH). Using it straight in the SFG as one of your composts, you might run into some issues as the pine portion of the mix is still there and might rob your Mel's Mix of nitrogen as it tries to decompose the pine. We want MM for growing, not for composting Very Happy In small amounts it might be fine but I would be hesitant on using un-composted pine pellets in my SFG.

However, just to confuse you Mad This is an interesting read from a very well respected gardening site but it does refer to pine straw as mulch and NOT shavings and poop mixed.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2702/

Hope that helped and didn't confuse you even more. I'm no expert......just my two cents Very Happy
staf74
staf74

Male Posts : 554

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 1/9/2012, 12:07 pm

I need some clarification. Are you saying the rabbit owner mixes rabbit poo with PINE PELLETS? as in, wood pellets? or are you saying PINE SHAVINGS or NEEDLES. My answer will be different with each of these pine products... Very Happy

The rabbit pellets themselves can go right in the garden but the other product ... Shocked

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Rabbit mixed with Pine Pellets? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 1/9/2012, 12:36 pm

Pine pellets are an alternative to pine shavings.
Personally never used them. I know some use them for chicks instead of shavings.

Rabbit mixed with Pine Pellets? Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhianna78 1/9/2012, 1:17 pm

The rabbit breeder puts pine pellets (like wood pellets) in the bottoms of the cages. I assume its for absorption purposes but I didn't ask. She cleans out her pens/cages every week & the pine pellets get scooped out with the poop so I'd end up with a mix.

I know you can use pine needles but it takes a while to compost them. I know you can use wood chips but you still need to compost them, just not for as long. I also know rabbit is good to go straight from the 'factory'. Since the pellets are mixed in I'm guessing they'd require some form of composting, but I don't know for how long.
Rhianna78
Rhianna78

Back to top Go down

Post  staf74 1/9/2012, 1:40 pm

I say take as much as you can and use that as your composting base. Start a compost pile if you can. Lots of threads on that. It will save you $$$ in the long run as you need to replenish the nutrients every time you change out a square anyhow. Rabbit poop heats up so quick and usually breaks down fast. Add plenty of leaves, shredded cardboard, visit to local DD / starbucks for coffee grounds, kitchen scraps, horse manure etc and you have yourself the best stuff in the making.
staf74
staf74

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 1/9/2012, 3:28 pm

The pelleted pine dust still has some turpentine in them unless it's been steamed out . If the new unused pellets even remotely smell of pine I for one would not use them .

Pelleted pine is chipped green pine forced through a die like a massive mincing machine at extreme pressure to remove turpentine & other tree fluids which are then distilled to make all sorts of products , whats left gets used for fuel , animal litter etc etc..

I suspect that the new pelleted pine granules is not only used to absorb the liquids from the rabbits it is also used for a deoderizing , disinfecting & asthetic purposes as well .
Though if it is spread out and weathered for a couple of months I'd then compost it for a year or so by which time the rabbit muck would have had most of its nutrients to being leeched or bleached out of it.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  HillbillyBob 1/10/2012, 12:00 pm

staf74 wrote:I say take as much as you can and use that as your composting base. Start a compost pile if you can. Lots of threads on that. It will save you $$$ in the long run as you need to replenish the nutrients every time you change out a square anyhow. Rabbit poop heats up so quick and usually breaks down fast. Add plenty of leaves, shredded cardboard, visit to local DD / starbucks for coffee grounds, kitchen scraps, horse manure etc and you have yourself the best stuff in the making.
Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Rabbit Poo doesn't heat at all if it's just rabbit Poo,now if you have shavings mixed in they wil heat as they decompose,a mix of the two makes some of the best compost,I've been rasing rabbits for more years then I care to state on a open forum: shock: Rolling Eyes btw if rabbits are kept clean the won't smell no need for the shavings to cover their smell cyclops ,I use pine shavings so they get a head start to the compost bin Wink
HillbillyBob
HillbillyBob

Male Posts : 162

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhianna78 1/10/2012, 5:38 pm

Okay so they need composting. For how long? I was thinking from now until April (just over 3 months) should be quite sufficient. Any input?

Also heard back from another breeder who uses straw on the bottom of his cages. I know the straw will need composting to break down but I think maybe the poo would be easier to separate out (at least some of it) to use straight away. He feeds his rabbits some corn mix feed over the winter so if there's corn bits in there will that drastically effect its ability to be used prior to composting?

Sorry, never really got to compost in Europe. Military housing isn't always that friendly to gardening.
Rhianna78
Rhianna78

Back to top Go down

Post  HillbillyBob 1/12/2012, 9:48 am

3 months might be okay just compost it until the heat is over your rabbit poo is ready from day one it's the straw/corn/pine pellets that have to work through the heat,you can speed the process up by running it all throught a shredder,smaller piceces work faster Shocked
HillbillyBob
HillbillyBob

Back to top Go down

Post  staf74 1/12/2012, 11:09 am

Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Rabbit Poo doesn't heat at all if it's just rabbit Poo

Hillbilly, just to clarify. Sure. Did not mean for it to sound like that. My rabbit "poop" is always mixed with straw, hair and saturated in rabbit urine. Pet waste from our lovable herbivores is high in nitrogen and aerobic bacteria. In fact, urine contains urea which is one of the best and most plentiful sources of nitrogen around. It breaks down fast in the compost bin and really helps the pile heat up. Adding THAT to the pile interacts with other ingredients to get the microbial activity really heating up. There are many things that by themselves in the pile won't heat up and certainly if your pile is too small it will struggle to generate good heat.

My main point was, its free fertilizer, its compost-able and perhaps grab it while you can Very Happy
staf74
staf74

Back to top Go down

Post  HillbillyBob 1/13/2012, 7:58 am

No problem,just didn't want to see any body burn up there garden plants by using pine or straw fillers tring to make it least,or cover more garden space Smile Very Happy Rabbit mixed with Pine Pellets? 3170584802
HillbillyBob
HillbillyBob

Back to top Go down

Post  NorthWoodsFever 1/13/2012, 6:22 pm

staf74 wrote:I say take as much as you can and use that as your composting base. Start a compost pile if you can. Lots of threads on that. It will save you $$$ in the long run as you need to replenish the nutrients every time you change out a square anyhow. Rabbit poop heats up so quick and usually breaks down fast. Add plenty of leaves, shredded cardboard, visit to local DD / starbucks for coffee grounds, kitchen scraps, horse manure etc and you have yourself the best stuff in the making.

I like the idea of composting shredded cardboard...we get a lot of that from the grocery store...will give the kids a good afternoon project on a cold winter day. lol Very Happy

Would it be best to soak the cardboard in water overnight first before adding to the compost pile??
NorthWoodsFever
NorthWoodsFever

Female Posts : 64

http://lavenderhen.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  NorthWoodsFever 1/13/2012, 6:40 pm

Oooooh, I wish I could post outside links Sad ...ALMOST. I found a neat site that has a list of compostable items. Gives info if it can be composted safely, if it is a Carbon/ Nitrogen based contributor...WAY cool. It's at CompostGuide dot com
NorthWoodsFever
NorthWoodsFever

Female Posts : 64

http://lavenderhen.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  staf74 1/13/2012, 6:50 pm

Would it be best to soak the cardboard in water overnight first before adding to the compost pile??

Sure, just wet enough to hold the water but if you squeeze it a little, it should not drip out everywhere. Too much water interferes also.
staf74
staf74

Back to top Go down

Post  HillbillyBob 1/16/2012, 10:26 am

NorthWoodsFever wrote:

I like the idea of composting shredded cardboard...we get a lot of that from the grocery store...will give the kids a good afternoon project on a cold winter day. lol Very Happy

It will shred better dry, then wet it as you put it into the compost pile :scratch:
HillbillyBob
HillbillyBob

Back to top Go down

Post  staf74 1/16/2012, 10:40 am

It will shred better dry, then wet it as you put it into the compost pile :scratch:

If it goes through a shredder then yes, clearly it needs to be dry first to do that. I doubt wet cardboard would shred well Razz Or soak it overnight and tear into little strips. Either way, the damp stuff is best.
staf74
staf74

Back to top Go down

Post  HillbillyBob 1/16/2012, 11:43 am

Rabbit Poo shreds much better dry as well and it"s light after shredding kinda like Perlite feel,Hummm Very Happy
HillbillyBob
HillbillyBob

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down