Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
January in the Midwest!!  (to be continued) Toplef10January in the Midwest!!  (to be continued) 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

January in the Midwest!!  (to be continued) I22gcj10January in the Midwest!!  (to be continued) 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
January in the Midwest!!  (to be continued) Toplef10January in the Midwest!!  (to be continued) 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

January in the Midwest!!  (to be continued) I22gcj10January in the Midwest!!  (to be continued) 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Today at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Today at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Today at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Today at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

» Horsey poop
by MrBooker 2/29/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

January in the Midwest!! (to be continued)

+2
Windsor.Parker
BackyardBirdGardner
6 posters

Go down

January in the Midwest!!  (to be continued) Empty January in the Midwest!! (to be continued)

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 1/1/2012, 12:09 pm

Hmmmm, I wonder what that could mean......stay tuned for some excitement!! (I figure we have a little time before talking gardening in January)

But, one quick tip: Refresh yourself with your frost dates. You may need to start that broccoli indoors this month!! Spring's a comin'...
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

January in the Midwest!!  (to be continued) Empty Re: January in the Midwest!! (to be continued)

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 1/2/2012, 11:25 am

I'll be quick again. But, as some of you have noticed, we have a new Co-Host to the region!! Please take the time to say hi to Llama Momma. She graciously stepped up and offered to help out. She has a ton of energy and we will be collaborating on a lot of things around here to keep the fun going.

Also, stop over to the Upper South and congratulate Madnicmom on her new hosting duties for that region. If you are in the southern portion of the Midwest, follow her, too. The climates are similar. She isn't gone. She promised ( Wink ) to continue hanging around here because otherwise her contributions would be greatly missed.

Llama (Gina) and I are putting our heads together and getting on the same page. January may be the time of year to do this since I don't think anyone is hanging by a thin thread waiting for the pearls of gardening tips January contains. Rest assured, we'll get there.

In the meantime, order your seeds if you need some....don't let them get back-ordered on you. And, refresh yourself with your starting dates indoors if you like getting head starts. The longer crops like broccoli and cauliflower need to be starting soon. And, believe it or not, tomatoes aren't that far behind, either.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

January in the Midwest!!  (to be continued) Empty Re: January in the Midwest!! (to be continued)

Post  Windsor.Parker 1/2/2012, 8:56 pm

BackyardBirdGardner wrote:She graciously stepped up and offered to help out.

January in the Midwest!!  (to be continued) 396615 Gina, and January in the Midwest!!  (to be continued) 109486

Windsor.Parker (Lee)
Windsor.Parker
Windsor.Parker

Male Posts : 381
Location : Chicago, South Shore, c. 100yds to Lake Michigan, Zone 6a

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 1/2/2012, 9:10 pm

Thanks for volunteering Llama! Your biggest job will be keeping BBG in line! I'm sure Boffer and Josh will be glad to help, and Rooster will referee all.

Thanks for the reminder to check our calendars for seed starting BBG! Last year I started my seedlings in late March instead of the end of Feb. because of a vacation (have to go when Hubby feels up to it!) so this year I am starting EARLY, which means only a few more short weeks.

Happy gardening wishes to all in the Midwest!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 1/7/2012, 4:23 pm

January Goose Report:

Well, it is January 7th, and I just got done with the Fall clean-up of my iris beds in the front yard. Yep, Fall clean-up! Between work and every flu, cold, sinus infection, allergy, etc. that has been common to the area, I just never got the front yard finished. Figured the snow would cover the mess until Spring when I would have more time and energy. Well, I have more time and energy now, and no snow to cover up the mess, and it is 41 degrees, so I got out the clippers and the rake and a flat piece of cardboard (5'x9') to drag the clippings/rakings back to the compost pile. 5 heaping cardboard loads later, I am done. My compost pile that was 6'x8' is now 12'x8', approx. 3' high. And..........under all that mess that was in the front yard..........my irises are sprouting. SPROUTING IN JANUARY!!!!! Makes me want to start some seeds!

Stay tuned for February Goose Report from the GNotSoWN!

GG

Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Windsor.Parker 1/7/2012, 7:49 pm

Goosegirl wrote:Thanks for volunteering Llama! Your biggest job will be keeping BBG in line! I'm sure Boffer and Josh will be glad to help, and Rooster will referee all.

Thanks for the reminder to check our calendars for seed starting BBG! Last year I started my seedlings in late March instead of the end of Feb. because of a vacation (have to go when Hubby feels up to it!) so this year I am starting EARLY, which means only a few more short weeks.

Happy gardening wishes to all in the Midwest!
GG

Likewise GG!

Last edited by Windsor.Parker on 1/7/2012, 7:50 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typos)
Windsor.Parker
Windsor.Parker

Back to top Go down

Post  Windsor.Parker 1/7/2012, 7:54 pm

Goosegirl wrote:January Goose Report:
Well, it is January 7th, and I just got done with the Fall clean-up of my iris beds in the front yard. Yep, Fall clean-up! Between work and every flu, cold, sinus infection, allergy, etc. that has been common to the area, I just never got the front yard finished. Figured the snow would cover the mess until Spring when I would have more time and energy. Well, I have more time and energy now, and no snow to cover up the mess, and it is 41 degrees, so I got out the clippers and the rake and a flat piece of cardboard (5'x9') to drag the clippings/rakings back to the compost pile. 5 heaping cardboard loads later, I am done. My compost pile that was 6'x8' is now 12'x8', approx. 3' high. And..........under all that mess that was in the front yard..........my irises are sprouting. SPROUTING IN JANUARY!!!!! Makes me want to start some seeds!
GG
January in the Midwest!!  (to be continued) 641297
Makes me want a greenhouse!
Windsor.Parker
Windsor.Parker

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 1/7/2012, 8:32 pm

Windsor.Parker wrote:
Goosegirl wrote:January Goose Report:
........ And..........under all that mess that was in the front yard..........my irises are sprouting. SPROUTING IN JANUARY!!!!! Makes me want to start some seeds!
GG
January in the Midwest!!  (to be continued) 641297
Makes me want a greenhouse!

rofl
If I were to get a greenhouse, we would get 6 ft of snow and I would never be able to get to it! silly me Say, there's an idea! If I invest in a greenhouse I can almost GUARANTEE SNOW!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Windsor.Parker 1/12/2012, 2:45 pm

January in the Midwest!!  (to be continued) 61949 GG,
Good weather the past few weeks allowed me to finish Fall "clean-up"! bounce
Lot's of plants to move/save in preparation for Spring SFG!
Compost pile here expanded, too!

Since snowfall began here this morning and is forecast to continue for the next few days...
No more outside work for now! Sad
Still keeping busy indoors however with cuttings and transplants, more inspirational reading in ANSFG, SFG planning, design, and scheduling tasks...
Which may all be conducted from my easy chair. sawing logs

But wait, there's more MM to blend and store...
Lee
Windsor.Parker
Windsor.Parker

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 1/12/2012, 9:46 pm

Windsor.Parker wrote:January in the Midwest!!  (to be continued) 61949
Since snowfall began here this morning and is forecast to continue for the next few days...
No more outside work for now! Sad
Still keeping busy indoors however with cuttings and transplants, more inspirational reading in ANSFG, SFG planning, design, and scheduling tasks...
Which may all be conducted from my easy chair. sawing logs
Lee
January in the Midwest!!  (to be continued) 3170584802 I'm all for the easy chair winter work as well! Yesterday we got 1" of sleet/ice, covered by another 1" of snow, now 30 mph gusts making it hard to see the ice. Supposed to be -5 tonight. Time to curl up with the ANSFG + a few warm cats 🐱 🐱 and re-read and dream sawing logs
GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  laurainwinona 1/13/2012, 12:50 am

My order of heirloom seeds arrived today.....along with wind and 5 inches of snow!! Spent a good part of the afternoon planning. Will start seedling trays soon....just have to figure a way to keep them warm and well-lighted so they actually grow this year! I saw in Menards a heated mat that goes under the seedling tray to keep it warm. Anybody have any experience with that? Is it something worthwhile (especially since the only place I have to put seedling trays is on the 3-season porch) or just a gimmick? Also, would a full-spectrum light work for plants or do I need an actual "grow light"?
laurainwinona
laurainwinona

Female Posts : 86

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 1/13/2012, 7:14 am

laurainwinona wrote:My order of heirloom seeds arrived today.....along with wind and 5 inches of snow!! Spent a good part of the afternoon planning. Will start seedling trays soon....just have to figure a way to keep them warm and well-lighted so they actually grow this year! I saw in Menards a heated mat that goes under the seedling tray to keep it warm. Anybody have any experience with that? Is it something worthwhile (especially since the only place I have to put seedling trays is on the 3-season porch) or just a gimmick? Also, would a full-spectrum light work for plants or do I need an actual "grow light"?
They do work, and the full-spectrum lights seem to be fine as well if you don't want to go with the whole plant set up. I use my old heating pad (yep, the one I use on my sore back) and some ordinary 18" under-counter fluorescent lights and they work just fine - as long as I remember to turn them on and off! Make sure that you remember to turn the heat mat off when you turn the lights off at night, otherwise it throws off their growth cycle.
GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 1/13/2012, 7:48 am

I'm using a regular old 4' shop light and it works just fine.

January in the Midwest!!  (to be continued) Img_2012

January in the Midwest!!  (to be continued) Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  laurainwinona 1/13/2012, 10:22 am

Ah! a heating pad! What a great idea, Goosegirl! I think I have one, too, so I can save myself $20. I bought a full spectrum lamp for sleep-cycle issues and thought I'd kill two birds with one stone, so to speak, especially since it would be awkward to hang a large or shop light in the area where I put my seedling trays.

Thanks, Goosegirl and nKedrOoStEr!!

I'm looking forward to spring and all things garden as I listen to the beeping and scraping of the snow-removal crew outside!
laurainwinona
laurainwinona

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 1/13/2012, 1:28 pm

laurainwinona wrote: I bought a full spectrum lamp for sleep-cycle issues and thought I'd kill two birds with one stone, so to speak, especially since it would be awkward to hang a large or shop light in the area where I put my seedling trays.

I got the 18" Under Counter lights because I knew I would have a hard time sneaking a 4' shoplight past Hubby! So far I have been using 3 that hang side by side to make a good-sized square of light, but I got 3 more for this coming season. Now if I can just get the heating pad away from my hairless cat!🐱

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 1/13/2012, 1:47 pm

Goosegirl wrote: Now if I can just get the heating pad away from my hairless cat!🐱 GG
Poor Kitty! I understand.
Kitty in Winter!

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

January in the Midwest!!  (to be continued) WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 1/13/2012, 10:10 pm

camprn wrote:
Goosegirl wrote: Now if I can just get the heating pad away from my hairless cat!🐱 GG
Poor Kitty! I understand.
Kitty in Winter!

rofl rofl rofl
It was hard to stop watching these!
GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 1/14/2012, 5:04 pm

Indoor update! Got my seed-starting cabinet down into the basement with only minimal complications. I cleared the way, Hubby helped get it down the stairs, and even figured out how to make it fit. Former owners put in a drop-ceiling that is NON-removable. I was ready to smack the cabinet with a hammer and let it dig a trench in the ceiling tiles as it tilted upright, but fortunately Hubby is a master solver of problems and I have the the powertools! At his suggestion I got out the circular saw and cut the 4" riser off the bottom of the cabinet to be able to stand it upright but it is now ready for me to install the lights. I have made enough noise around the house for one day. Margarita now, pics later.

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  laurainwinona 1/18/2012, 4:02 pm

Now, if I can find the heating pad..... it went down to 5 below last night! I guess it finally decided to be winter. But, I am having fun planning!! Have fun planning and dreaming of spring, everyone! Very Happy
laurainwinona
laurainwinona

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 1/18/2012, 7:27 pm

laurainwinona wrote:Now, if I can find the heating pad..... it went down to 5 below last night! I guess it finally decided to be winter. But, I am having fun planning!! Have fun planning and dreaming of spring, everyone! Very Happy

Watch out tonight! It is supposed to be -17 here, and you are not far from me! I need one BIG heating pad!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down