Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
N&C Midwest—January 2018!!! Toplef10N&C Midwest—January 2018!!! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

N&C Midwest—January 2018!!! I22gcj10N&C Midwest—January 2018!!! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
N&C Midwest—January 2018!!! Toplef10N&C Midwest—January 2018!!! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

N&C Midwest—January 2018!!! I22gcj10N&C Midwest—January 2018!!! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

N&C Midwest—January 2018!!!

+2
sanderson
llama momma
6 posters

Go down

N&C Midwest—January 2018!!! Empty N&C Midwest—January 2018!!!

Post  Scorpio Rising 1/8/2018, 9:32 pm

OK, I rethought the combining of the December/January thing...they are 2 different things.  

What catalogs do you have?  

What are you coveting?  LOL!

Any new varieties you are trying?  Why?

What are you abandoning?

Me:  Pinetree, Bakers Creek, Territorial Seeds, and Jungs.  

Covet:  Real big tomatoes.  Last year was a bad year.  The cherry ones were everywhere and honestly I didn’t eat them...

Varieties:  Still deciding....French breakfast radish is for sure. And lettuce.  Love it.  

No more:  I don’t know, kale...every year I feel guilty for not growing it but I don't eat it. I also don’t eat Swiss chard really.  

One thing I have discovered:  I need to eat this stuff the day or 2 after harvested.  Just things sitting around doesn’t get eaten.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8703

Back to top Go down

N&C Midwest—January 2018!!! Empty Re: N&C Midwest—January 2018!!!

Post  Scorpio Rising 1/13/2018, 11:04 am

Well, the “Big Storm” turned out to be a slushy mess with a couple inches of snow, max.  I am glad, don’t get me wrong!

Going to make a loaf of homemade bread and beef veggie soup today after a run to the store...

Reading “The New Victory Garden”, has a nice month-by-month timeline for doing things in the garden!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 1/17/2018, 7:08 pm

Cold, snow, repeat!

Had a piece of bread and actual butter for supper.  Yum!  Not sure if I am going to add SF this year, would really love to get a strawberry bed established.....and my shallow 3x7 is the one.  Need to top off my other beds too, they have shrank volume.  

Thinking I might try cabbage again, in lieu of kale...don’t like kale.  Do like cabbage!
study
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 1/23/2018, 8:47 pm

Anybody from the MIdwest alive out there?  LOL!lol!  I know it’s the doldrums, but what are you doing?
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 1/24/2018, 4:29 pm

ALIVE !!  Hello Scorpio !
When the garden is down, there are still animals to take care of around here.  My first winter with chickens.  Frigid, horrid weather and trudging through snow and wind to look after my little feathered friends, three times a day.

Haven't even given the seed catalogs a serious look yet.  Need to do that pronto.

I hope more people start returning here soon.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/24/2018, 6:06 pm

llama momma wrote:I hope more people start returning here soon.
Ditto

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21531

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 1/24/2018, 6:33 pm

llama momma wrote:ALIVE !!  Hello Scorpio !
When the garden is down, there are still animals to take care of around here.  My first winter with chickens.  Frigid, horrid weather and trudging through snow and wind to look after my little feathered friends, three times a day.

Haven't even given the seed catalogs a serious look yet.  Need to do that pronto.

Thank the stars!  Hi LM!
So how has the chicken endeavor going?  How far from your house is the barn?  I haven’t really given the catalogs much love either, just a couple things I would try.  I am noticing the days are getting longer, so that is hopeful!  We have had a pretty brutal winter, especially in light of the last couple years.

Well, hopefully, some of our folks will at least check in!!!sunny
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Kate888 1/25/2018, 11:57 pm

I have Bakers' Seeds and Annie's Heirloom Seeds catalogs.  Other than the first year I started, I usually use seeds that are a year or even 2 years old and they usually germinate well for me, but this year most of my seeds are even older and I'm going to have to buy a lot. 

I took last year off from the garden.  I was a little frustrated with my returns the year before and my hubby and I were gone for 2 weeks in July for our 30th anniversary trip and I had no one to willingly care for a garden while I was gone.  (I have 6 children living here, 3 of them adults, and not one has any interest in the garden.)

My usual: Tomatoes, Snow Peas, Bush Beans, green onions, garlic, lettuce  (All but the tomatoes always do well, and I've just got my heart set on good tomatoes, so gotta have them every year.)

The ones I debate most years: broccoli, cabbage, sweet peppers, spinach, zucchini (and end up planting and usually I'm disappointed again)

I'm hoping my husband won't be too annoyed that we'll have to put a little more money into this than some years.  My Mel's mix has seemed to shrink over time, I suppose a little loss here and there when removing plants - anyway, I need to add some this year.  I have 5 boxes that are 3x6.  Also, if I'm to grow any squash I need floating row covers to try to keep the pests at bay.  I plan to make a pvc cage to cover them, as well as the lettuce and spinach with shade cloth.  If I'm going to go at it again this year, I want to do my best to avoid the issues of the previous years.

I love the seed starting, and usually start my cruciferous plants in late February, so I figured it was time to start ordering seeds.
Kate888
Kate888

Female Posts : 199

Back to top Go down

Post  Kate888 1/26/2018, 12:01 am

I gave up on my chickens primarily because I hated dealing with them in winter.  Now I pay $3 a dozen to a neighbor.  Not as satisfying, but a lot less work.  :-)  I do miss the chicks in the spring and watching their silly antics.
Kate888
Kate888

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/26/2018, 1:48 am

Hi Kate! happy hi

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Cindy G 1/27/2018, 7:58 pm

This will be my second year of sfg. I have 2-4x4 boxes and 1-2x2x12 that I used for potatoes last year. I am planning to add 2 more 4x4s. I do need to top off my existing boxes.

I think I’m going to try to start some seeds indoors this year. I’ve never done that before, so I’ve been researching that. Also looking at seed catalogs. 

Overall last year was good, but I did make a few mistakes. I started my cool weather fall plants to late, so they didn’t really produce well. I’m going to plant them in spring this year. Also I need to work on keeping the critters out. And my 2 year old grandson, the few peas I did get he ate as soon as they were picked. Lol
Cindy G
Cindy G

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 1/27/2018, 11:34 pm

Kate888 wrote:I have Bakers' Seeds and Annie's Heirloom Seeds catalogs.  Other than the first year I started, I usually use seeds that are a year or even 2 years old and they usually germinate well for me, but this year most of my seeds are even older and I'm going to have to buy a lot. 

I took last year off from the garden.  I was a little frustrated with my returns the year before and my hubby and I were gone for 2 weeks in July for our 30th anniversary trip and I had no one to willingly care for a garden while I was gone.  (I have 6 children living here, 3 of them adults, and not one has any interest in the garden.)

My usual: Tomatoes, Snow Peas, Bush Beans, green onions, garlic, lettuce  (All but the tomatoes always do well, and I've just got my heart set on good tomatoes, so gotta have them every year.)

The ones I debate most years: broccoli, cabbage, sweet peppers, spinach, zucchini (and end up planting and usually I'm disappointed again)

I'm hoping my husband won't be too annoyed that we'll have to put a little more money into this than some years.  My Mel's mix has seemed to shrink over time, I suppose a little loss here and there when removing plants - anyway, I need to add some this year.  I have 5 boxes that are 3x6.  Also, if I'm to grow any squash I need floating row covers to try to keep the pests at bay.  I plan to make a pvc cage to cover them, as well as the lettuce and spinach with shade cloth.  If I'm going to go at it again this year, I want to do my best to avoid the issues of the previous years.

I love the seed starting, and usually start my cruciferous plants in late February, so I figured it was time to start ordering seeds.
Hi, Kate!  My tomatoes didn’t do well last year either.  Apparently the compost I made with hay had a ton of grass seed in it, so I had grass and tomatoes that got lost in the prairie.  

My boxes have deflated too....
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 1/27/2018, 11:35 pm

Cindy G wrote:This will be my second year of sfg. I have 2-4x4 boxes and 1-2x2x12 that I used for potatoes last year. I am planning to add 2 more 4x4s. I do need to top off my existing boxes.

I think I’m going to try to start some seeds indoors this year. I’ve never done that before, so I’ve been researching that. Also looking at seed catalogs. 

Overall last year was good, but I did make a few mistakes. I started my cool weather fall plants to late, so they didn’t really produce well. I’m going to plant them in spring this year. Also I need to work on keeping the critters out. And my 2 year old grandson, the few peas I did get he ate as soon as they were picked. Lol
Hi, Cindy!

I have never successfully timed my fall garden.  Garlic is more forgiving, because it is harvested the following year!  LOL!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Kate888 1/28/2018, 7:00 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:

Hi, Kate!  My tomatoes didn’t do well last year either.  Apparently the compost I made with hay had a ton of grass seed in it, so I had grass and tomatoes that got lost in the prairie.  

My boxes have deflated too....
Oh no!  I had a similar experience with weedy straw.   Sad
Kate888
Kate888

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 1/28/2018, 7:52 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:

Thank the stars!  Hi LM!
So how has the chicken endeavor going?  How far from your house is the barn?  

Hi Scorpio-----I have a gorilla cart I wheel back and forth from the garage to the coop is 150 feet.  300 foot round trip in snow driving rain mud whatever..... with a bad back.  Fun.... but I love my 6 little girls.  Kind of crazy I had no idea how much I would love and enjoy them. The eggs are great and I've lost 20 pounds hauling supplies back and forth. 
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  Kate888 1/28/2018, 10:18 pm

Hi Scorpio-----I have a gorilla cart I wheel back and forth from the garage to the coop is 150 feet.  300 foot round trip in snow driving rain mud whatever..... with a bad back.  Fun.... but I love my 6 little girls.  Kind of crazy I had no idea how much I would love and enjoy them. The eggs are great and I've lost 20 pounds hauling supplies back and forth. 

I found a sled very helpful for hauling the 40lb feed bags when we had snow.
Kate888
Kate888

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/29/2018, 1:51 pm

N&C Midwest—January 2018!!! 90640

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  DorothyG 1/30/2018, 12:02 am

I'm half frozen but still here.  The extent of my winter gardening is the two AeroGardens that we seeded with lettuces and spinach last week.  So far no germination evident.

The seed catalogs are coming in the mail.  Have next to no idea which companies have sent them as I haven't had time to even look at them.

The greenhouse here at our new place has not been touched since I cleared out the old plants from the previous owners.  It's going to take a bit of work to even get a jump on the growing season.

Still have not located my stash of garden seeds that were misplaced during the move.  There's about 100 bucks thrown to the wind. 

Still studying on a way to even produce enough for us in the garden beds with all the deer here.  Three of them stood about 10 yards from me while I stood on the deck this morning.  Raised their heads as if to say "morning" then right back to the acorns.  

The chickens didn't really seem to mind the cold as much as I did.  We have two old hens about 6 years old, one hen about 3 years old, and six hens that are 2 years old.  Still managed to get 1 or 2 eggs even in the -11 degree nights.  Last couple of days with the temp getting into the 50's during the day we've been getting 4 eggs a day.  

The new grandbaby that was supposed to be here Christmas day made an early arrival on November 17th.  Many trips to the city to see her and Momma at the children's hospital.  She's growing like a SFG in good weather!  She'll be 6 weeks old Friday and has gained 5.25" and 4lb 12oz.  

None of the garden beds here are SFG.  The soil is rather poor so they have been dug out and filled with a mixture, not to my liking, that may just have to do this year.  With all the stumps there isn't really anywhere to make one bigger garden.  Guess it sounds kinda fancy to say I have three gardens! lol
DorothyG
DorothyG

Female Posts : 89

Back to top Go down

Post  Kate888 1/30/2018, 8:54 am

sanderson wrote:N&C Midwest—January 2018!!! 90640

Very Happy Too bad I didn't have any cute animals to pull the sled, just li'l ol' me.
Kate888
Kate888

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/30/2018, 3:06 pm

Hi, Dorothy, Congratulations on the baby granddaughter.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 1/30/2018, 9:32 pm

LM: I get it!  It has been a winter for sure!  Sounds like it has been great for your waistline! 

DorothyG!  Hey!  I am so envious of your greenhouse...I am sure you will find your seeds, or jumbo on the exchange and get some new ones free gratis!  Where are you now?  

Congrats on the grand baby!

Kate, no cute animals pulling anything here for me either...lol!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  DorothyG 1/30/2018, 11:31 pm

Ok, so I cannot calculate the age of my granddaughter. lol She will be 11 weeks old this Friday.  Geeze Embarassed

Thanks, Sanderson and SR.  She sure is a delight!

SR:  We're about 15 miles from where we used to be.  Same zip code and all.
DorothyG
DorothyG

Female Posts : 89

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 1/31/2018, 11:41 pm

DorothyG wrote:Ok, so I cannot calculate the age of my granddaughter. lol She will be 11 weeks old this Friday.  Geeze Embarassed

Thanks, Sanderson and SR.  She sure is a delight!

SR:  We're about 15 miles from where we used to be.  Same zip code and all.
OK, so not a huge big move...
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 2/1/2018, 12:26 am

Spring Fever....flowerN&C Midwest—January 2018!!! 370856013
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down