Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What to cover plain dirt with until clover can be seeded in the fall? Toplef10What to cover plain dirt with until clover can be seeded in the fall? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What to cover plain dirt with until clover can be seeded in the fall? I22gcj10What to cover plain dirt with until clover can be seeded in the fall? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What to cover plain dirt with until clover can be seeded in the fall? Toplef10What to cover plain dirt with until clover can be seeded in the fall? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What to cover plain dirt with until clover can be seeded in the fall? I22gcj10What to cover plain dirt with until clover can be seeded in the fall? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:08 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 Yesterday at 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 4:46 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Yesterday at 4:36 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Yesterday at 4:30 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:34 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:31 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson 5/10/2024, 2:06 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

What to cover plain dirt with until clover can be seeded in the fall?

4 posters

Go down

What to cover plain dirt with until clover can be seeded in the fall? Empty What to cover plain dirt with until clover can be seeded in the fall?

Post  fellenf 6/22/2011, 4:17 pm

I put in some raised beds this year, but there is an expanse of fill dirt in the rest of the area that I wanted to plant with simple rows next year. This area has received 2 larg dump trucks of topsoil, and as a result, I have spent hours hand picking or hoeing many ruthless and nasty pasture weeds, as I wanted them uprooted. I wanted to plant a cover crop of clover this fall to plow under in the spring for planting, as the soil needs the nutrients. My question is -- given near depleted funds, what can I use to cover this area until October (I'm in far north Georgia, on the border of zones 7/8. It needs something because I have a big house dog who goes out back when I do, and when it rains or the ground is wet, I am washing muddy feet and claws that have sunk some into the dirt -- outside, rain or shine, winter or summer. If it weren't for that, I'd leave it! I thought of newspaper with straw on top, but I wouldn't be plowing it under for spring planting (I'd still have exposed dirt) -- I need it ready for clover. I could remove the straw and let it break down, but that will be a loooooot of straw. Any help or suggestions welcome! :!:

Be Advised!
The content in this thread
is not applicable to the
 gardening techniques promoted
in the book ALL NEW
SQUARE FOOT GARDENING.
fellenf

Back to top Go down

What to cover plain dirt with until clover can be seeded in the fall? Empty Re: What to cover plain dirt with until clover can be seeded in the fall?

Post  Glendale-gardener 6/22/2011, 4:21 pm

You could mulch it with mini pine fines or cocoa shells- it would be easy to rake it in before planting clover and would help amend the soil as well.
Glendale-gardener
Glendale-gardener

Female Posts : 293

Back to top Go down

What to cover plain dirt with until clover can be seeded in the fall? Empty Re: What to cover plain dirt with until clover can be seeded in the fall?

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 6/22/2011, 4:23 pm

Weed cloth, old carpet, bales of straw, etc. Stuff you intend to pick up. You could also buy a small bag of "annual ryegrass" and seed it. It grows fast, but burns out in the heat....unless you water it. Let it burn out. The dead grass will supply some nutrients to the ground AND will stop some of the mud issue.

Welcome aboard.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  fellenf 6/22/2011, 4:27 pm

Would mini pine fines be the finely shredded pine bark I use to mulch my acid loving hydrangeas and blueberry bushes? Would plowing that under make our already generally acidic soil more so?
fellenf

Back to top Go down

Post  Glendale-gardener 6/22/2011, 4:30 pm

Oh yeah, thats probably right! Cocoa shells would still work or I like BBGs carpet idea too...
Glendale-gardener
Glendale-gardener

Female Posts : 293

Back to top Go down

Post  fellenf 6/22/2011, 5:04 pm

As temperatures have stayed in the 90's -- and that's typical until around September -- I guess I could just continue with the straw or hay. I haven't tried newspaper yet under the straw, but should that have decompesed by October? If not, I'll just cover it all with straw and save the muddy feet issue. School starts back for us the first week of August and I can't chance my dog coming to the back door with brown feet when I have to leave at 7:00 a.m. No I supposed I could gather all that hay and let it sit over the winter. If it breaks down enough, it might could serve another purpose as mulch next spring.

Thanks, y'all. I'm new to vegetables this year, having done more flower gardening. I got a late start this year and learned the hard way that single handedly mixing at least 36 bags in equal parts of compost, topsoil with peatmoss, and soil conditioner in a big wheelbarrow, after applying 2 coats of linseed oil to 4 raised beds, is backbreaking in our summer heat. I'll be ready to start the rows next year by late April and use the raised beds for early lettuces, etc.
fellenf

Back to top Go down

Post  fellenf 6/22/2011, 5:24 pm

On the other hand -- will the hay, if left on to decompose with the newspaper over the winter, be sufficiently broken down to till under for spring planting?
fellenf

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 6/22/2011, 6:13 pm

Mulch is expensive. If it was my problem I would consider a mid season annual cover crop like buckwheat, turan it under in fall then plant the fall/winter cover crop. There is some good info here
http://www.hort.cornell.edu/bjorkman/lab/covercrops/index.php
Good luck!
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down