Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Growing Bush Beans Toplef10Growing Bush Beans 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Growing Bush Beans I22gcj10Growing Bush Beans 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Growing Bush Beans Toplef10Growing Bush Beans 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Growing Bush Beans I22gcj10Growing Bush Beans 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 2:25 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by Scorpio Rising Today at 2:05 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Growing Bush Beans

+12
Leighfluver
pattipan
Retired Member 1
aspiegardner
titans01
cherriesjubilee
chocolatepop
keithw
Mikesgardn
Lavender Debs
ander217
Cropper2
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Growing Bush Beans Empty Growing Bush Beans

Post  Cropper2 4/27/2010, 6:05 pm

Is anyone growing Bush Beans?

I can find lots of threads on vining beans, but nothing on bush beans. I thought I'd give them a try, but I'd like to know what others have learned first.

Anyone?
Cropper2

Back to top Go down

Growing Bush Beans Empty Bush beans

Post  ander217 4/27/2010, 8:20 pm

What do you want to know about them? This is my first year trying SFG and I plan to plant one grid of wax beans, one of bush romanos, and one grid of Blue Lake bush.

I've grown row-style gardens most of my life, and I usually planted Blue Lake or Contender bush beans, and Kentucky Wonder and Romano pole beans. Bush beans tend to produce a large crop all at once and then are finished in a few weeks, while pole or vining beans produce all summer.

Others on this board have said that bush beans in SFG boxes tend to spill over into neighboring grids, so when they grow tall, one should pull all the plants together and wrap string around them twice and tie it off to keep them in their proper place.

You can go to the squarefootgardening.com page, click on FAQ's, and click on vegetables. Mel gives information there on growing many veggies.
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Growing Bush Beans Empty Re: Growing Bush Beans

Post  Cropper2 4/28/2010, 7:39 am

I've been following the forums on beans, but I always seem to end up reading about the vining variety, versus the bush variety. I was wondering how many to plan in a box and if they have any special needs. Perhaps planting one in the middle of a 3x3 grid might work? Do they get very tall? I've never tried them before. Anything you can share about them would help.

Thanks.
Cropper2

Back to top Go down

Post  ander217 4/28/2010, 9:24 am

Bush beans are fairly small plants. They grow about a foot tall, more or less, depending on variety. I think the packet says to thin them to every four inches, so that means planting them nine plants per square foot. They have small stems about the size of a pencil that grow leafy branches. When they are spaced close together they grow more upward than outward but they still have a few branches that grow outward. That is why some of them must be tied together if they get too bushy. Only planting one per SF would be a waste of space and would not yield many beans. One plant will only have a few pods ready to pick at one time.

Some people coat the seeds with a seed inoculant before planting in soil that has never grown beans. I'm not sure if that's helpful in SFG. Does anyone else know?

They have no special needs that I know of. Don't work with the plants when the leaves are wet as there are some diseases that attack them which can spread when handling wet plants, and watch out for bean beetles which like to munch on the pods. When they stop producing, pull the plants and plant something else.

I've always found bush beans to be extremely easy to grow. If you want to grow enough to eat all you want as well as put some in the freezer you will probably need more than one square foot of them.
ander217
ander217

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 4/28/2010, 10:04 am

Great post ander!

I have one square of early season bush beans. The moon was right, but it is probably still too early. I am hoping that Provider, an early season bush bean, will handle the chill well enough to do as the name implies. I did 9 to the square, and only put in a test batch of one square.

At the next waxing moon I will put in 4 squares of Provider, (50 days, cool season), 4 of "Dragon Langerie" a flat podded wax bean with purple striping and 2 of "Empress" a main season bush bean. At the next moon the plan is to put in 4 more squares of Empress.

I've never grown bush beans. Always turned up my nose at them thinking they were not as good as pole. The last gardens I have mainly grown french fillet beans, yum. My aunts all grew bush beans and theirs were fine, I was just a snob I think.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Mikesgardn 4/28/2010, 10:14 am

I'm also in Maryland, and bush beans are easy to grow here. They like the heat. Plant 9 per square foot. I usually plant the seeds in May, and they produce beans well into the fall. The plants do tend to splay into adjacent squares.
Mikesgardn
Mikesgardn

Male Posts : 286

Back to top Go down

Post  keithw 4/28/2010, 11:03 am

Thanks for the tip of tying the plants together. My garden beans are overflowing their 2 SFG squares and threatening to eat a pepper plant and some lettuce (well I just beat the beans to the lettuce). I'll get to work on tying them together this evening.
keithw
keithw

Male Posts : 19

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 4/28/2010, 11:26 am

Ug, in looking something up for someone else, I just read that beans should not be planted near the onion family. My one square is surrounded by onions and shallots. Guess I am about to find out why I shouldn't do that.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  Cropper2 4/28/2010, 4:33 pm

I spent last weekend studying the Compatibility charts from the Farmer's Almanac and thought I'd lose my mind! I had to completely replan most of my SFG boxes. You'd have thought my intention was to purposely plant what the Almanac calls "Combative" veggies next to one another. I had done that almost 100% of the time. Now that I've rearranged everything on paper, I'm about to start my planting.

Thanks for all of the feedback on planting the bush beans! I'm excited to give it a try.
Cropper2

Back to top Go down

Post  chocolatepop 4/28/2010, 10:42 pm

I planted 4 squares of bush beans, they are kind like determinate tomatoes, they set many of their beans in a short amount of time, versus pole beans have a longer production period.

I like both types for different reasons. I love my yellow wax bush beans!
chocolatepop
chocolatepop

Female Posts : 768

http://chocolatepopsurbangarden.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  cherriesjubilee 4/29/2010, 2:17 pm

I am growing Roma II bush beans this year. I have 14 squares of them.

I really prefer pole beans, especially Kentucky Wonders, but I just didn't want to deal with all of the trellising that would be necessary. Maybe next year.
cherriesjubilee
cherriesjubilee

Female Posts : 48

http://sherry-a-casa.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  titans01 4/29/2010, 2:48 pm

I grew bush beans last year and that's all we grew when I was a kid. Is there any difference in taste from a bush to a pole bean and is one better than the other for canning or freezing?
titans01

Male Posts : 122

http://goodgameme.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  aspiegardner 4/29/2010, 3:57 pm

I'm going to try to find some of this either this year or next. In our town it was hard enough to find lima beans, let alone anything other than a green bean or yellow wax.

Bush sound like fun.
aspiegardner

Back to top Go down

Post  Retired Member 1 4/29/2010, 5:24 pm

titans01 wrote:I grew bush beans last year and that's all we grew when I was a kid. Is there any difference in taste from a bush to a pole bean and is one better than the other for canning or freezing?

Basically, no, no and no. I really think it's a matter of preference of whether you like most of the crop coming in at one time or strung out over the summer. I plant both since I prefer having a heavy crop for canning and an ongoing crop for fresh eating.
Retired Member 1

Female Posts : 904

Back to top Go down

Post  Retired Member 1 4/29/2010, 5:25 pm

aspiegardner wrote:I'm going to try to find some of this either this year or next. In our town it was hard enough to find lima beans, let alone anything other than a green bean or yellow wax.

Bush sound like fun.

All I could find locally in a vining fresh bean was Kentucky Wonder. Then I found a gentleman on another forum who was offering free heirloom bean seeds. I ordered 3 vining and two bush from him. Hopefully I'll have enough to save some seeds for next year as well.
Retired Member 1

Female Posts : 904

Back to top Go down

Post  chocolatepop 4/29/2010, 10:08 pm

I like bush beans for canning and freezing because they come in all at once, making things easier rather than waiting.
chocolatepop
chocolatepop

Back to top Go down

Post  ander217 4/30/2010, 9:30 am

Belfry bat, bush beans are a type of green bean. If you want something other than a green bean, look for what we call "shelly" beans, or beans for drying. There are countless varieties of those, such as pinto, black, Great Northern, red, navy, Jacob's Cattle, etc., all of which can be shelled and eaten fresh before they dry. My personal favorite is Horticulture or Improved Horticulture, which is like the old Wren's Egg bean and tastes something like a pinto bean only better. If you've never eaten fresh shelled beans, you are in for a treat if you try them. There is no comparison between them and their dried counterparts.
ander217
ander217

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 4/30/2010, 9:37 am

ander is there a simple way to thresh them (fresh or dry?)
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Growing Bush Beans Empty French fillet and black-seeded wax beans

Post  ander217 4/30/2010, 9:49 am

Debs, in the green stage I just pick the pods when they are full, and shell them like shelling green peas. If I let them dry on the plant, I do it by hand, also, although I've heard of people spreading them on a big tarp and whacking them with sticks or brooms, and then winnowing the chaff away in the wind. I never had a large enough amount to make that seem worth all the trouble. If they're dried well, the pods usually pop right open. In fact, if one lets them stay too long on the bush after they've dried, they'll pop open and shatter on the ground.

What are French fillet beans? I've never heard of them.

I planted a new (to me) variety of wax bean yesterday, called Beurre De Rocquencourt that I found in the Baker Heirlooms online catalog. I had no idea until I opened the package that the seeds were black. I thought all wax beans had white seeds. Has anyone grown these before? Is the flavor different?

I also planted two squares of Blue Lake bush beans, one square of Roma II, and last week I planted 16 Kentucky Blue pole beans, and 4 Scarlet Runner beans. I've planted the Kentucky Blues for two years and never got much yield either time. I'm giving them one more shot since I switched to SFG. (Kentucky Blue is a cross between the old flavorful Kentucky Wonder and the commercial Blue Lake.)

Although they aren't really beans I also planted two squares of Purple-Hull peas, which I put in my personal "beany" category. Maybe next year I'll make room to add some shelly beans.
ander217
ander217

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 4/30/2010, 10:12 am

French / fillet beans, often sold as Haricots Verts (which is just french for green beans) is a somewhat long, thin green bean. The flavor is pleasantly intense.

My great aunt used to grow dry beans. She had a small trash can (dedicated only to bean storage and threshing) that she would whap a handful of vines in to shell her beans.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  chocolatepop 4/30/2010, 10:32 am

ander217 wrote:Belfry bat, bush beans are a type of green bean. If you want something other than a green bean, look for what we call "shelly" beans, or beans for drying. There are countless varieties of those, such as pinto, black, Great Northern, red, navy, Jacob's Cattle, etc., all of which can be shelled and eaten fresh before they dry. My personal favorite is Horticulture or Improved Horticulture, which is like the old Wren's Egg bean and tastes something like a pinto bean only better. If you've never eaten fresh shelled beans, you are in for a treat if you try them. There is no comparison between them and their dried counterparts.

ok question for the seasoned shell bean grower. I am going to grow kidney beans but have NO idea how many plants to even consider putting in! Any input?
chocolatepop
chocolatepop

Back to top Go down

Post  pattipan 4/30/2010, 12:31 pm

ok question for the seasoned shell bean grower. I am going to grow kidney beans but have NO idea how many plants to even consider putting in! Any input?

On gardenweb.com forums, I remember reading that one bush bean plant will produce about 1/4 cup of dried beans.

I think this is the thread: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/legumes/msg022157121336.html

Good luck and please let us know how they produce!

Pattipan
pattipan
pattipan

Female Posts : 808

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/gallery/personal160.htm

Back to top Go down

Growing Bush Beans Empty Kidney beans and toxins

Post  ander217 5/2/2010, 2:48 pm

snip......There is a toxin present in many dry beans and cooking is required to remove it. This toxin lectin phytohaemagglutinin is especially concentrated in red kidney beans and cannellini, .....snip

Ander have you got sick from that? I often cook beans in a crock pot and have never had any unusual effect.
ander217
ander217

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 5/2/2010, 2:58 pm

ander217 wrote:snip......There is a toxin present in many dry beans and cooking is required to remove it. This toxin lectin phytohaemagglutinin is especially concentrated in red kidney beans and cannellini, .....snip

Ander have you got sick from that? I often cook beans in a crock pot and have never had any unusual effect.

Uh-oh.....I must have misused my powers of moderator. I meant to hit quote, not edit..... SO so sorry Ander.

She had said 10 minutes of boiling would remove the toxin that was present in Kidney and white kidney beans (Cannelloni? sp?) and that we should be careful.

Deborah .....again, I'm sorry Ander!!!
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  Leighfluver 5/2/2010, 3:14 pm

Cropper2 wrote:Is anyone growing Bush Beans?

I can find lots of threads on vining beans, but nothing on bush beans. I thought I'd give them a try, but I'd like to know what others have learned first.

Anyone?

Bush beans are the EASIEST beans to grow, imo. There is no extra trellis system necessary. You just plant and go!

There are yelloe wax, breen, fillet (a French code word for "PICK IT TINY OR ELSE!") Romano(wide, flat FLAVORFUL beans that hold up EXTREMELY well during long cooking times) lima and all kinds of shelling beans for drying. That is a project I will attempt next year but haven't so far.
Leighfluver
Leighfluver

Female Posts : 28

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next