Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
If I don't plant this year, is a cover or cover crop needed? Toplef10If I don't plant this year, is a cover or cover crop needed? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

If I don't plant this year, is a cover or cover crop needed? I22gcj10If I don't plant this year, is a cover or cover crop needed? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
If I don't plant this year, is a cover or cover crop needed? Toplef10If I don't plant this year, is a cover or cover crop needed? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

If I don't plant this year, is a cover or cover crop needed? I22gcj10If I don't plant this year, is a cover or cover crop needed? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Today at 3:36 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 3:16 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Today at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Today at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm Yesterday at 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

If I don't plant this year, is a cover or cover crop needed?

+3
Turan
Kelejan
mariana1517
7 posters

Go down

If I don't plant this year, is a cover or cover crop needed? Empty If I don't plant this year, is a cover or cover crop needed?

Post  mariana1517 4/23/2015, 5:54 pm

Due to an unexpectedly very busy summer, it is now looking like I will not have time to take care of my beds this year. I have 3 beds, 4' x 6' each (on the ground, not elevated), and all are filled with Mel's Mix.

I was originally thinking of just covering each box with a heavy tarp weighted around all the edges to keep weed seeds out and preserve the mix, but I got to thinking that maybe a thick cover crop might be better. If so, what sort of cover crop would be best, and should I till it in at the end of the season or pull it out?

Many thanks for your thoughts!
mariana1517
mariana1517

Back to top Go down

If I don't plant this year, is a cover or cover crop needed? Empty Re: If I don't plant this year, is a cover or cover crop needed?

Post  Kelejan 4/23/2015, 6:26 pm

My first thought was a mulch of some kind. Leaves or grass, but something that was alive and can give nourishment to the soil.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

If I don't plant this year, is a cover or cover crop needed? Empty Re: If I don't plant this year, is a cover or cover crop needed?

Post  Turan 4/23/2015, 8:54 pm

I would plant an annual green manure crop like buckwheat or field peas.  You then have the choice in the fall of either composting in a pile or leaving to make a mulch to plant through in the following spring. 
Or I would heavily seed in an annual flower mix.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 4/23/2015, 11:30 pm

Just make sure you plant a cover crop that dies in the winter or you'll be fighting that cover crop come spring.  I had that problem one year.
Now I just add compost instead of cover crops.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 4/24/2015, 11:15 am

Turan wrote:I would plant an annual green manure crop like buckwheat or field peas.  You then have the choice in the fall of either composting in a pile or leaving to make a mulch to plant through in the following spring. 
Or I would heavily seed in an annual flower mix.

I agree with the Buckwheat or field peas in the summer.  I used buckwheat in the early  fall and cut it down and turned it under in late fall before flowering.  I don't know if it will put out a lot of seeds that will sprout in the spring if you let it flower (I cut it down just as it was starting to flower).  In late fall, I planted annual rye grass in one bed and winter peas (I think they are Austrian Winter Peas) in another bed.  The peas made a massive ground cover and were cut down in the early spring, one half the green growth was composted and one half was turned under.

Here is a picture of the Buckwheat after about 30 days.  It will flower and look real pretty if left in the ground to mature.
If I don't plant this year, is a cover or cover crop needed? Buckwh10

Here is a picture of the annual rye grass in the background and winter peas in the foreground.
If I don't plant this year, is a cover or cover crop needed? Cover_11
And here is the winter pea bed just before I cut it down and turned it under.
If I don't plant this year, is a cover or cover crop needed? Cover_12
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/24/2015, 11:57 am

Yolos, This winter was the first time you tried this, correct?

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 4/24/2015, 12:12 pm

in texas, i planted winter rye grass and it has been a nuisance for the last 3 year. dirtdoctor told not to plant it, but I was hard headed. It slowly dying back each year, almost gone, I just found out from the company that cut my yard, that they put down weed killer each year then replant grass. I was not aware how the business around town got rid of it, Now I know. I have not use it in my SFG beds. I planned to grow beans this summer for food , nitrogen fixation and cover crop, rye grass is ok in some zones, it will die and not return, but not here, unless you kill it out.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 4/24/2015, 12:46 pm

sanderson wrote:Yolos,  This winter was the first time you tried this, correct?

Yes, this was the first time I tried green manure/cover crops and I only planted in the 4 x 32 foot bed that is only partially Mel's Mix.  I think I made the first 8 feet completely Mel's Mix (that is the area where the winter peas are growing).  The rest of the bed was the top soil from my old row garden to which I have been adding vermiculite and compost every year so it is getting closer to Mel's Mix but still has some soil in the bed (where the buckwheat and rye grass are growing).
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 4/24/2015, 4:58 pm

My recommendations of buckwheat and field peas were based on them being annuals that grow thick enough to keep out weeds.  They won't persist.  Also the OP is in northern MidWest, a place with a true winter and break in the garden season.  So these plants will die in the fall when it frosts and then act as a sheet compost/blanket over the beds for the winter.   This will keep the MM an active ecosystem.

Even up here I would not recommend a rye grass.  Though I have used it successfully myself, that was with a tiller to employ.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down