Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Wondering if I should protect my new tomato transplants Toplef10Wondering if I should protect my new tomato transplants 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Wondering if I should protect my new tomato transplants I22gcj10Wondering if I should protect my new tomato transplants 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Wondering if I should protect my new tomato transplants Toplef10Wondering if I should protect my new tomato transplants 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Wondering if I should protect my new tomato transplants I22gcj10Wondering if I should protect my new tomato transplants 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:08 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 Yesterday at 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 4:46 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Yesterday at 4:36 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Yesterday at 4:30 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:34 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:31 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson 5/10/2024, 2:06 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Wondering if I should protect my new tomato transplants

4 posters

Go down

Wondering if I should protect my new tomato transplants Empty Wondering if I should protect my new tomato transplants

Post  NHGardener 5/21/2011, 8:26 pm

Might as well throw this out to the whole group. I transplanted my tomato plants today because it was sunny and hot outside for the first time in weeks and I couldn't stand it, I had to do it. They're about 4" - 8" tall. Now this evening it's turned chilly and breezy. It's supposed to get down to 44 tonight, then only up to 54 tomorrow, but then after that it's supposed to be highs in the 70s.

So do I need to run out there with a flashlight and put large coffee cans over my tomato plants tonight?
NHGardener
NHGardener

Female Posts : 2305

Back to top Go down

Wondering if I should protect my new tomato transplants Empty Re: Wondering if I should protect my new tomato transplants

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 5/21/2011, 11:00 pm

That doesn't sound like any chance of frost to me. Therefore, I would let them go. 44F ain't all that bad. 36F would be a different story.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Wondering if I should protect my new tomato transplants Empty Re: Wondering if I should protect my new tomato transplants

Post  camprn 5/22/2011, 6:29 am

BackyardBirdGardner wrote:That doesn't sound like any chance of frost to me. Therefore, I would let them go. 44F ain't all that bad. 36F would be a different story.
+1 Very Happy
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 5/22/2011, 6:45 am

Constant sunshine for new seedlings is just as bad as freezing temps.
Try to shade them for part of the day if its very bright out, at least for a couple of days. If you see them going limp, water and place cheesecloth over them for the next couple of days.

I, too, am going to tansplant some of mine today. I've had them hardening off for the last 3 days up to 6 hrs a day in between downpours so I'm taking my chances. Today, tho, its only the 2 going in the A-frame and the ones in the pots so I can move them into the house if needed or into the shade if the sun is too bright for a few days.

Good Luck NHGardener. I know that itchy feeling of needing to see them planted.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 5/22/2011, 8:12 am

Thank you for the replies! I didn't cover them last night and this morning they're a little droopy (it's a constant drizzle out there tho) but they don't look too bad.

quiltbea, I didn't know constant sun wasn't good for the new transplants. Thank goodness that's not a problem this spring so far. Laughing
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 5/22/2011, 11:17 am

NHGardener.....
I need to clarify my remark.
The sun can be brutal for them only if you haven't taken the time to harden them off for the full two weeks.

I tend to rush mine in only one week so I always protect them the first 2 or 3 days from the direct sunshine.

I thought that since you haven't had such great weather, like me, that you may have rushed their hardening off process as well.

I'm glad yours are doing OK.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 5/22/2011, 1:36 pm

Yes, quiltbea, I confess, I did rush the hardening off process. Now how did you know that? Smile

I hope they're doing okay out there. It feels like winter to me. Low 50s at the end of May just has me thinking these seasons are all mixed up. I'm hoping for a long hot stretch to make up for this...
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 5/22/2011, 3:37 pm

quiltbea, wouldn't you know it, today's gardening column in the newspaper talks about the importance of hardening off. Smile
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 5/22/2011, 4:09 pm

NHGardener wrote:quiltbea, wouldn't you know it, today's gardening column in the newspaper talks about the importance of hardening off. Smile

Ironic.

I saw a neighbor waxing his car today. Guess what? It clouded up. And, I bet we get rain.

Funny how that works.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down