Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
The Villiage Idiot asks: Do you think this would work? Toplef10The Villiage Idiot asks: Do you think this would work? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

The Villiage Idiot asks: Do you think this would work? I22gcj10The Villiage Idiot asks: Do you think this would work? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
The Villiage Idiot asks: Do you think this would work? Toplef10The Villiage Idiot asks: Do you think this would work? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

The Villiage Idiot asks: Do you think this would work? I22gcj10The Villiage Idiot asks: Do you think this would work? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:08 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 Yesterday at 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 4:46 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Yesterday at 4:36 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Yesterday at 4:30 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:34 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:31 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson 5/10/2024, 2:06 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

The Villiage Idiot asks: Do you think this would work?

+5
Odd Duck
jumiclads
acara
LaFee
middlemamma
9 posters

Go down

The Villiage Idiot asks: Do you think this would work? Empty The Villiage Idiot asks: Do you think this would work?

Post  middlemamma 12/15/2010, 4:14 pm

So I keep thinking if I just had a big enough shower cap, like a GINOURMOUS one that I could slip over my hoop house....

Do you think I could cut plastic to fit and SEW elastic around the bottom so it fit like a shower cap????

Feel free to
lol!
thinking
rofl
crazy!
idk
darn funny
silly me

Jennie
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

The Villiage Idiot asks: Do you think this would work? Empty Re: The Villiage Idiot asks: Do you think this would work?

Post  LaFee 12/15/2010, 4:27 pm

You might be on to something!

I think elastic would drive you bonkers, but if you were to put grommets and a drawstring around the bottom, you could accomplish the same thing without struggling with the elastic.

You could even drape the plastic, THEN thread the drawstring (I'm thinking a narrow poly rope would do -- UV resistant and won't rot out the first time it gets rained on) and draw it up tight...tie it to a stake to a) keep it from being blown off and b) give you a solid point from where you could start drawing it up.
LaFee

Female Posts : 1023

Back to top Go down

The Villiage Idiot asks: Do you think this would work? Empty Re: The Villiage Idiot asks: Do you think this would work?

Post  acara 12/15/2010, 6:06 pm

middlemamma wrote:Do you think I could cut plastic to fit and SEW elastic around the bottom so it fit like a shower cap????

Jennie

Nope ...

Your late to the game ...village idiot jr. beat you to it Very Happy

It's gone again, somewhere down the block (3rd time this week). Hopefully in a different neighbors yard this time though ...... the lady's gonna call the cops if I show up knocking at her door again asking for my garden cover back.

12 x 16 canvas tarp ... $27.00
Sewing materials at Michaels ... $18.00
Seamstress to cut-to-size, hem & sew in elastic, 2 grommets & a drawstring ..$40.00

Look on peoples faces when a stranger with a flashlight knocks on their door after dark, on a freezing night,.... and ask if they will let them into their yard to look for a lost garden cover ................. priceless Laughing

If I find it tonight ... maybe I'll pack it up and send it to you & see if you can modify it to work. I'm done with this crazy thing No
acara
acara

Male Posts : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post  jumiclads 12/15/2010, 6:22 pm

You could put metal eyes all round the bottom as on a lorry tarpaulin and thread elastic through the holes and then tie the ends together. On the SFG box screw some hooks evenly spaced around the sides and hook the elastic over these. That would stop it getting blown off.
jumiclads
jumiclads

Male Posts : 167

Back to top Go down

Post  Odd Duck 12/15/2010, 6:44 pm

I put bricks, blocks or rocks around the excess plastic at the bottom edges. Then I tied rope around the plastic higher up (I have a fairly tall frame to fit all the way over my tomatoes without them touching) in 2 places. On warm days, I remove a few bricks/blocks as needed to loosen just part of the plastic for venting and slide the ropes up a bit if it's really warm.

When I need to harvest tomatoes, I just duck under the plastic and ropes and lean inside. Kind of a pain, but I'm not under there that long. Quick harvest, quick water if necessary, done. My back gets damp from the condensate on the inside of the plastic, but it'll dry. But then again, my beds are very raised compared to most - the tops of the beds are about 16" high. I don't have to duck very far to get under the plastic or ropes.

The ropes are to keep the plastic from flapping and coming loose. They work pretty well most of the time (haven't come loose, but they have shifted some) and we've had some pretty significant winds since I put the plastic in place.
Odd Duck

Female Posts : 327

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 12/15/2010, 11:09 pm

La Fee....YOU ARE BRILLIANT!

Acara! I laughed so hard when I read your post! I had tears rolling down my cheeks. You and I should collaborate a gardening for the Village Idiot book....LMAO! darn funny

Thanks for the info Acara, (PM)...I don't think my wind here is what you have down there in hurricane land...BUT...I still would rather be practical...I would NEVER find my cover if it blew away...I live out in horse prairie land and it would blow for miles without being stopped by anything!

I had plastic on my hoop houses this past season and I just held it down with bricks and a few stones, no rope or ties at all, and I didn't have any issues. I think the grommets and rope would work for me...hubby put a lip on all my boxes (aesthetic only) and the rope could hook under that...it would have to pull the whole 4X4 up to blow that away. But the plastic would rip before that happened. I will keep you updated on how it goes.

I think the grommets and hooks or the grommets and rope might work for me...we'll see. Smile

If you look at my garden photos in this link you will see the lip I am talking about.

https://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2045463&id=1172332003&l=7f98af8550

Jennie

PS Acara...I am following your WFET post and all your directions for tomatoes from seed very carefully... Smile I am only on the 2nd transplant.
middlemamma
middlemamma

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 12/15/2010, 11:40 pm

I have WAGON WHEEL style hoops on my beds like mel talks about...what do y'all think about these?

Anyone use 'em?

https://www.superseeds.com/products.php?search=H546A

Jennie
middlemamma
middlemamma

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 12/15/2010, 11:57 pm

Way too fancy for me. I use scrap wood, screws, and spring clamps on sale from Costco. I'll take some pics tomorrow.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  davidclubb 12/16/2010, 12:46 am

You could also design a wagon wheel style pvc frame. Make sure to use 1/2" cpvc, because it is more flexible than plain pvc. You will need 1/2" elbows, 1/2" tees and 1/2" x 10' cpvc pipe. It would be best to get enough tees to space your "ribs" two feet apart, connecting them together at the center. Make it large enough to fit around the outside of your SFG.
davidclubb
davidclubb

Male Posts : 87

Back to top Go down

Post  acara 12/16/2010, 6:27 am

PS Acara...I am following your WFET post and all your directions for tomatoes from seed very carefully... .

Oh goodness ...your doomed affraid

Remember, your supposed to do exactly OPPOSITE of what I did, if you want to be successful

LOL ..j/k

Glad to hear its working for you so far.

BTW ... I got my heirloom seeds planted & I got sprouts on the Black Crims, Cherokee Choc., Zogola and Amana Orange already ..... so I'll be transplanting with ya shortly.

Hopefully the Christmas elves will be able to effect repairs on wifeys camera & I can get back to weekly pics here soon.

acara
acara

Back to top Go down

The Villiage Idiot asks: Do you think this would work? Empty Tomato transplants?

Post  ander217 12/16/2010, 10:29 am

middlemamma (Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:09 pm) wrote:
PS Acara...I am following your WFET post and all your directions for tomatoes from seed very carefully... Smile I am only on the 2nd transplant.

Just curious, V.I. - why are you starting tomato transplants now?
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 12/16/2010, 11:27 am

LOL....So when I kill them I can figure out what I did wrong and have time to start over. Very Happy
middlemamma
middlemamma

Back to top Go down

Post  acara 12/16/2010, 11:46 am

I start early because tomatoes's take a bit longer to develop when you use multiple-transplant technique, because on top of keeping the stems trimmed on the bottom portion of the plant, your also burying a large portion of the existing plant, each time you transplant.

Last edited by acara on 12/16/2010, 11:52 am; edited 1 time in total
acara
acara

Back to top Go down

Post  acara 12/16/2010, 11:51 am

middlemamma wrote:LOL....So when I kill them I can figure out what I did wrong and have time to start over. Very Happy

Just caught the V.I. reference Very Happy

Ander, your going to have to designate VI and VIJ, or VI1 & VI2, to avoid having us both answer ......

J and I are still in friendlly negotiations for rights to the official "V.I." title ...LOL Very Happy
acara
acara

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 12/16/2010, 11:57 am

acara wrote:I start early because tomatoes's take a bit longer to develop when you use multiple-transplant technique, because on top of keeping the stems trimmed on the bottom portion of the plant, your also burying a large portion of the existing plant, each time you transplant.

Sorry, I must be missing a step here. Why do you trim the stems when you are burying the stems deeper with each transplant?
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  acara 12/16/2010, 12:23 pm

Sorry, dorked that ... not very clear

I don't allow anything to grow off the main stem, on the bottom 75% of the plant when it first starts (a.k.a. "first fork" on tomatoes).

I trim the side stems (branches?), to keep the main stem (vertical) bare.

I used to do it just because thats how I was taught, but one of the "Tomato Masters" here on the forum (sorry, I can't remember who it was now), pointed out that you trim the side branches because it makes it easier to drop it in the hole when you bury the bottom 2/3rds to 3/4's of the plant at time of transplant.
acara
acara

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee 12/16/2010, 12:25 pm

skipping back and forth a little here...

Mick's idea about the straps like a lorry (semi truck) might be just what you're looking for.

The semis in the UK and the Continent are very different than the big boxes in the US -- they're called a curtain-side lorry, as they are essentially a flatbed truck with a canvas cover.

Look here: http://trailertruck.co.uk/hgv-curtainsiders.html

Also google "curtainside lorry" and click on "images" to get more -- there are some pretty cool setups there.

You could have a tarp that goes over the top of your wagon hoops, then with small come-along straps (other end fastened to your boxes) sewn to your tarp you could have a REALLY stable, VERY durable cover that would stand up well to darned near anything Madame Nature could hand out. Additionally, you could undo a strap or to gain access to what's underneath.

Small come-along straps are fairly cheap, IIRC...hmmmm....Okay, Acara, sic 'em!

(sheesh...y'all didn't think there was a need for an English-English translator, did you?!)
LaFee

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 12/16/2010, 12:31 pm

acara wrote:Sorry, dorked that ... not very clear

I don't allow anything to grow off the main stem, on the bottom 75% of the plant when it first starts (a.k.a. "first fork" on tomatoes).

I trim the side stems (branches?), to keep the main stem (vertical) bare.

I used to do it just because thats how I was taught, but one of the "Tomato Masters" here on the forum (sorry, I can't remember who it was now), pointed out that you trim the side branches because it makes it easier to drop it in the hole when you bury the bottom 2/3rds to 3/4's of the plant at time of transplant.

Makes perfect sense. Removing leaves and suckers from the main stem before each transplant.
Thanks for 'splainin
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Back to top Go down

Post  acara 12/16/2010, 12:39 pm

LaFee wrote:Okay, Acara, sic 'em!

LOL...

Yes, the pics help a lot & "get the wheels turning" .... Muhahaha

The Villiage Idiot asks: Do you think this would work? Mad_scientist_frankenbuilder

I'm still trying to decide what to do though .... the SFG boxes froze-out when the covers came off this week, so I'll probably just stick with the tomatoes in pots for now & put something more cold-tolerant in the SFG's (thinking Spinach).
acara
acara

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 12/16/2010, 1:08 pm

Wow...La Fee that is cool....thanks for the translation...I honestly had no idea what Mick was talking about...but I was wary of transgressing from Villiage Idiot 1 or 2 into the zone of COMPLETE MORON. SO I just nodded and smiled. darn funny

middlemamma
middlemamma

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee 12/16/2010, 2:41 pm

that was actually part of how I ended up as an RH to begin with...I speak Metric and Imperial, English(UK) and English(US), plus ragged bits and pieces of a few Continental languages....

Mick, I even know how to spell aluminium and paediatrician and colour. ROFL
LaFee

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 12/16/2010, 3:25 pm

LaFee, you are a woman of many talents praise
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Back to top Go down

Post  davidclubb 12/16/2010, 4:34 pm

Acara. If you don't know, you can take a pocket knife, and peel off some of the tomato trunk to see if it is still green on the inside. If so, then you may be able to save your tomato plants by covering them. Hope this helps. Let us know how it turns out.
davidclubb
davidclubb

Male Posts : 87

Back to top Go down

Post  jumiclads 12/16/2010, 5:05 pm

middlemamma wrote:I honestly had no idea what Mick was talking about. SO I just nodded and smiled. darn funny

I will have to remember to do English to American transalation when I pass on any ideas or else you will all think I am a blithering idiot (translation: blithering idiot) thinking
jumiclads
jumiclads

Male Posts : 167

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee 12/16/2010, 5:23 pm

No worries, Mick...I can translate both directions!

In a former life, I sold to both B&Q and Focus, so spent a LOT of time in Blighty, and learned to communicate from Southampton to Crewe and points in between. I know about bacon butties and builder's tea, and cheese and pickle sandwiches, and Tracy Pollard (yeah but no but yeah) and Christmas crackers, shopping at Asda, etc., etc., etc.
LaFee

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down