Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hi from Iowa Toplef10Hi from Iowa 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hi from Iowa I22gcj10Hi from Iowa 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hi from Iowa Toplef10Hi from Iowa 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hi from Iowa I22gcj10Hi from Iowa 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Today at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Today at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:55 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:53 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm Yesterday at 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hi from Iowa

+2
BackyardBirdGardner
stripesmom
6 posters

Go down

Hi from Iowa Empty Hi from Iowa

Post  stripesmom 5/2/2011, 3:05 pm

Very Happy Hi Everybody!
I'm in the process of setting things up. Good lord, it's more work than a over weight, hobbled up, old woman was bargaining for, but I suppose it's good for me. Can't imagine how exercising, eating fresh veggies and not being in the house all day wouldn't do me some good.
I live in SE Iowa on a small acreage about a mile outside of town. Our land is surrounded by 10 acres of pasture (wish we owned that, but it's nice to look at none the less). We have 5 or 6 cats at any time. They tend to come and go.
It's a beautiful day here, the sun is shining, the sky is incredibly blue and it's a nice cool day. I'm so looking forward to meeting you all. I have some questions, so think I'll go post them in the place they are suppose to be posted. BFN!
stripesmom
stripesmom

Back to top Go down

Hi from Iowa Empty Re: Hi from Iowa

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 5/2/2011, 5:09 pm

Welcome aboard! You've found a great community.

First tip: Pace yourself. If you aren't used to the work in setting up the garden (any garden), take it easy. It's supposed to be fun...not a health-risk.

That said: Ask any question you want. We love helping around here. We also love to brag and post our pictures of our SFGs.

Feel free to check around the more specialized areas like our regional forums, composting, and vermiculite databases, for some more specific information pertaining to you and your climate. Hope to see you around here lots!
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Hi from Iowa Empty Hi from Iowa

Post  sherryeo 5/2/2011, 11:36 pm

Hi from Iowa 240144 Hi stripesmom, I just wanted to drop by to say Hi from Iowa 396615 to the forum! There are so many great folks on here who are always willing to help with questions and problems. I'm a newbie, too, and have my first 2 sfgs this year. I love the forum and just know that you will, too.

I hope you'll enjoy sfgardening. Do you have the All New Square Foot Gardening book yet? If not, you should really get a copy. It explains the whole sfg method so nicely. Hope you'll post often and keep us updated as to how things are going. Post pics when you can - everybody here just loves seeing how others are gardening! Ask questions and watch how everyone gathers around to offer suggestions and solutions to gardening problems. Hope to see you around the forum!
sherryeo
sherryeo

Female Posts : 850

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 5/2/2011, 11:49 pm

Hi Stripesmom! I am over in south central Iowa! Yup I started with one 4x4 bed last year and this year I have 3 4x4 and a 4x6 in the works! Hope you miss the frost tonight!
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 5/3/2011, 12:52 am

Hi from Iowa 654548 Stripesmom Hi from Iowa 654548

Welcome to the group.

Remember this is supposed to be fun! Yes, building and filling the bed with Mel's Mix is a LOT of work, but after this, weeding is a cinch (if needed at all) and really, you will be planting, nurturing and harvesting, with maybe a bit of bug patrol included.

Don't hurt yourself and enjoy the experience.

Keep us posted on your progress and share pictures, please.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  stripesmom 5/3/2011, 11:24 pm

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I'm trying to take it slow, but I feel like I'm in a race to beat the clock, lol. I want to have my beds ready when the time is right to plant tomatoes. Last year, it was so wet and gloomy here, we didn't get many tomatoes and I put out 8 plants. This year, I want to be able to have hoops up, so if the rains never let up (the way it seemed last year) I can at least protect the maters. Plus, every thing else I want to plant.
Pictures will be a problem. I love to look at everybodies gardens too. I don't have a camera though. When I take pictures, I have to buy a disposable. I know, I'm not from this century, lol. But, I will take pictures and post eventually.
Sherryeo, I have the old book, the new book and just today, I got the cookbook. I've read the books front to back, under lined, made notes, made new notes. Then, when I started to do things, realized, I still didn't have it all clear in my head. But, I'm making progress and learning. I've searched the forum for help and you guys have been really great about posting information.
Cindylou, I'm in Knoxville. You look so familiar, maybe I've seen you around town at Walmart or some where else. On the other hand, it could be that my eye sight is not what it use to be and every body is looking the same to me anymore, lol. I have one 4x4 and two 2x8's. I put them on my patio, so I have a nice border and it will be easier to get to them. Plus, my yard is pretty shady, so that was one of the places that I think I'll get enough sun.

Last edited by stripesmom on 5/3/2011, 11:44 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Corrected spelling and added a line.)
stripesmom
stripesmom

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 5/3/2011, 11:48 pm

Hi from Iowa 396615 Hi from Iowa 396615 Hi from Iowa 396615
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 5/5/2011, 1:42 am

stripesmom wrote:
Cindylou, I'm in Knoxville. You look so familiar, maybe I've seen you around town at Walmart or some where else. On the other hand, it could be that my eye sight is not what it use to be and every body is looking the same to me anymore, lol. I have one 4x4 and two 2x8's. I put them on my patio, so I have a nice border and it will be easier to get to them. Plus, my yard is pretty shady, so that was one of the places that I think I'll get enough sun.

Rofl...Hi I am in Chariton! I am in Knoxville a lot..family there and hubby lived there.
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Post  stripesmom 5/5/2011, 5:50 pm

Well, small world, huh? I probably have seen you around town some place. Although, I don't get out much any more, mostly grocery stores and Walmart when I have to go there. Which isn't often, since I am not a fan of that place.

Some times, we pass through Chariton, going to Russell. But that's to take the old motorcycle down to Davidson's to get it repaired.
stripesmom
stripesmom

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down