Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Help with Mel's Mix Toplef10Help with Mel's Mix 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Help with Mel's Mix I22gcj10Help with Mel's Mix 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Help with Mel's Mix Toplef10Help with Mel's Mix 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Help with Mel's Mix I22gcj10Help with Mel's Mix 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Help with Mel's Mix

5 posters

Go down

Help with Mel's Mix Empty Help with Mel's Mix

Post  Guest 4/23/2011, 2:19 am

I mixed up all the peat moss, vermiculite and varied composts and as we filled our 2 beds, we realized there was not enough mix to fill them. So we measured the boxes and they are actually 4.5 x 4.5. Now, the sqf garden kit said it was a 4x4 bed but obviously it was actually bigger.

What do we do now to fill the rest of the beds? Would I just go buy some more compost and put it in and mix it all up? I was thinking of buying 3-4 more bags of compost and mixing it in with a shovel or rake?

Also, the lath boards do not fit our boxes since they are not really 4x4 beds. Now I'm scrambling for a substitution, any suggestions?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Help with Mel's Mix Empty Re: Help with Mel's Mix

Post  shannon1 4/23/2011, 3:07 am

I would mix up more MM and use nylon cord for grid. If topping off with MM is not an option I have read other threads where people used compost mixed in to top off their boxes. I think I will be in the same boat and only had a little peat left so I went and got more vermiculite and compost so the remaining MM will not be a perfect 3 parts but it is a whole lot better than the soil around here. Cool
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 4/23/2011, 8:50 pm

Ok, so I must have been really tired last night because I measured my beds wrong. Today I measured them starting from the inside and they are 4x4. Razz

It still took 4 more bags of varied composts to fill it up to around the 6 inch deep mark and I actually found a new compost, so now we have our five in there! (steer manure, chicken manure, organic compost, mushroom compost and the new one - organic 5 blend compost) Laughing I accidentally ripped a hole in the weed cloth on the bottom when mixing in the compost today and hope all goes well with that - I folded that area over and put soil on it hoping it works ok.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 4/23/2011, 10:29 pm

Common issue. A lot of us, myself included, measured correctly but the box still didn't fill completely. The volume dry and wet apparently makes a difference.

Don't worry about it too much. If you want to do it completely by the book, mix more MM and fill it to the top. I assume filling with compost is going to work....it just throws your thirds off slightly.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss M 4/24/2011, 12:38 am

In other parts of the world, Mel teaches people how to SFG in compost only, since they have no access to peat moss or vermiculite, but they can learn to make compost with what they have. It isn't as fluffy as the Mel's Mix, and probably doesn't retain water as well, but it's still SFG and it still works!

So yes, you can fill it the rest of the way with compost... just realize you might lose some water holding capability without mixing it with peat moss and vermiculite. Cool
Miss M

http://sithrahfarm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 4/24/2011, 12:44 am

Thanks for the replies, I just couldn't budget in another $35 for vermiculite and then the peat moss and compost too so I had to just go with the compost. I hope it works ok - seems like I mixed it really well because you can see the vermiculite all throughout. 2 of the composts had peat moss in them too, so maybe that will help out too.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 4/24/2011, 12:48 am

You can add the rest later as you go. Vermiculite realy helps the compost retain water.
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 4/24/2011, 9:42 am

When I was mixing my Mel's Mix the other day for my carrot box, I decided to try a little experiment. Some of you post about having difficulty with your mix and it seems in many cases that it might have something to do with the amount of peat. In the past whenever I used peat moss in my house plants, I always wet it before I mix it in with my potting soil. That is the way I learned to use it so that is what I have always done it when making my Mel's Mix.

So I measured five scoops of dry but fluffed peat moss in a large (Canadian) five gallon bucket. Then I added one gallon of water to it and let it sit for a couple of hours. When I mixed my composts and vermiculite I measured them out, five scoops of each. Interesting thing though, when I measured the peat moss now that it was nice and wet, I had over half a scoop left over.

All of this makes me wonder if some people are having difficulties with their mix because the amount of peat they have is too high. Now half a scoop may not sound like much, but that was only a very small batch that I did for my carrot boxes. In a larger quantity, that could make a significant difference. Add to that the fact that many of the composts have peat in them as well and a mix could very well be rather lean in terms of nutrients. No wonder Mel recommends five composts.

Gwynn
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/24/2011, 11:19 am

Old Hippie wrote:When I was mixing my Mel's Mix the other day for my carrot box, I decided to try a little experiment. Some of you post about having difficulty with your mix and it seems in many cases that it might have something to do with the amount of peat. In the past whenever I used peat moss in my house plants, I always wet it before I mix it in with my potting soil. That is the way I learned to use it so that is what I have always done it when making my Mel's Mix.

So I measured five scoops of dry but fluffed peat moss in a large (Canadian) five gallon bucket. Then I added one gallon of water to it and let it sit for a couple of hours. When I mixed my composts and vermiculite I measured them out, five scoops of each. Interesting thing though, when I measured the peat moss now that it was nice and wet, I had over half a scoop left over.

All of this makes me wonder if some people are having difficulties with their mix because the amount of peat they have is too high. Now half a scoop may not sound like much, but that was only a very small batch that I did for my carrot boxes. In a larger quantity, that could make a significant difference. Add to that the fact that many of the composts have peat in them as well and a mix could very well be rather lean in terms of nutrients. No wonder Mel recommends five composts.

Gwynn
Gwynn I think you are brilliant! And perhaps have hit the nail on the head! Well Done!! cheers
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down