Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Has anyone used the bagged Mel's Mix? Toplef10Has anyone used the bagged Mel's Mix? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Has anyone used the bagged Mel's Mix? I22gcj10Has anyone used the bagged Mel's Mix? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Has anyone used the bagged Mel's Mix? Toplef10Has anyone used the bagged Mel's Mix? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Has anyone used the bagged Mel's Mix? I22gcj10Has anyone used the bagged Mel's Mix? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Has anyone used the bagged Mel's Mix?

+7
1orangething
shannon1
donnainzone5
Chopper
Kelejan
tabletopper
Luci Dawson
11 posters

Go down

Has anyone used the bagged Mel's Mix? Empty Has anyone used the bagged Mel's Mix?

Post  Luci Dawson 9/24/2011, 6:38 pm

When I was at HD today, I noticed they had the Mel's Mix in bags. Although I'm sure it's probably a more expensive way to go, I'm considering it because being 4'-10" tall, 69 y/o, and on continuous oxygen I don't think I'll be physically able to mix it myself and there are no neighbors who are interested in or willing to do that much work!

Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Has anyone used the bagged Mel's Mix? 109486
Luci Dawson
Luci Dawson

Female Posts : 267

Back to top Go down

Has anyone used the bagged Mel's Mix? Empty re: has anyone used bagged Mel's Mix?

Post  tabletopper 9/24/2011, 8:22 pm

I have....my home depot doesnt carry it....but Lowes does at $12.95...reduced for the winter I think.....I do tabletops and I just turned 87yrs ........its a great way to garden...I love it....I had a total of 102 squares....different sizes......

One has to add a 5 compost as the garden progress.....just found a rabbit and a horse source of manure.....Chicken and Steer are easy.....Dixieline Lumber company worm casting year around at $20 a bag and that will make my 5 composts....

So my suggestion is to start small and progress slow....get back to you later as i am going to dinner......Ruth
tabletopper

Female Posts : 235

Back to top Go down

Has anyone used the bagged Mel's Mix? Empty Re: Has anyone used the bagged Mel's Mix?

Post  Kelejan 9/24/2011, 10:15 pm

Luci, if I lived near you I would come and mix it for you. (An hour at a time, lol)

Has anyone used the bagged Mel's Mix? 993580

ETA: A total of 232 years between us. Three Golden Oldies. lol
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Has anyone used the bagged Mel's Mix? Empty Re: Has anyone used the bagged Mel's Mix?

Post  Chopper 9/24/2011, 10:25 pm

I have. Used in one of my boxes and was very happy with it.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 9/25/2011, 1:55 pm

I've used the pre-bagged MM this year and like it very much. My only gripe is that the vermiculite seems to be either fine or medium.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2660

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 9/26/2011, 1:43 am

For me mixing was the hardest part. I have some health issues too, so give yourself a brake and get the mixed stuff . I have never use it but It took me a week to mix my own in small batches to fill my 4x6 TT and if it were available here I would have given it a try.
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Has anyone used the bagged Mel's Mix? Empty Mels Bagged Mix

Post  1orangething 9/26/2011, 6:13 am

I'm wondering if anyone sells it around here. I've heard of sources in Orlando, but I don't want to drive that far. I am getting ready to add-on another 4x4 bed. I'll just have to take my time mixing.
1orangething
1orangething

Female Posts : 72

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 9/26/2011, 6:37 am

If there is a Lowes near you give them a call I have heard they carry it from time to time.
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Has anyone used the bagged Mel's Mix? Empty has anyone used bagged Mel's Mix

Post  1orangething 9/26/2011, 6:46 am

Shannon - no luck finding it nearby. I actually found coarse Verm down the street, last bed wasn't coarse. I really don't mind mixing it, but finding 5 composts is hard.

Last edited by 1orangething on 9/26/2011, 6:47 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : misspelling & extra words)
1orangething
1orangething

Back to top Go down

Post  Luci Dawson 9/26/2011, 2:36 pm

Thanks for all the great help!

You'd be welcome anytime Kelejan...even to just visit instead of mixing!

1orangething: Here's a link to the Home Depot within 20 miles of Spring Hill. Unfortunately, there are 3 different ones in different counties, but maybe you could find it online and they could deliver it to the one closest to you

http://www.homedepot.com/StoreFinder/index.jsp?reload=true&distance_1=50&zip=87123&jspStoreDir=hdus&state_1=&headerStoreFinder=&catalogId=10053&errorViewName=StoreFinderView&city=&URL=&store=&address=87123&storeId=10051&List=List&distance_2=50
Luci Dawson
Luci Dawson

Back to top Go down

Has anyone used the bagged Mel's Mix? Empty re: Mels bagged mix

Post  1orangething 9/26/2011, 7:08 pm

Thank you Luci, I will be checking the HD webpage.. I actually work for Home Depot and they haven't been able to get it in my store.
1orangething
1orangething

Back to top Go down

Has anyone used the bagged Mel's Mix? Empty Re:Mel's Bagged Mix

Post  tabletopper 9/26/2011, 11:02 pm

yesterday I was in my local Home Depot in Chula Vista......they just got in garden seeds for 2012.....and I saw Mel's condensed lil booklet for $5 and bought one.....so I thought they must be carrying the bags of his mix....no such luck...cashier sent me to customer service and clerk couldnt find it on the web site to be shipped here......so I think it will be coming sometime in the future especially if we write corp headquarters I think in Georgia....Lets not give up.....Ruth
tabletopper

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindacol 9/26/2011, 11:10 pm

tabletopper wrote:yesterday I was in my local Home Depot in Chula Vista......they just got in garden seeds for 2012.....and I saw Mel's condensed lil booklet for $5 and bought one.....so I thought they must be carrying the bags of his mix....no such luck...cashier sent me to customer service and clerk couldnt find it on the web site to be shipped here......so I think it will be coming sometime in the future especially if we write corp headquarters I think in Georgia....Lets not give up.....Ruth

I have only seen it at Lowes in my area, not HD. I have been in several Lowes and they have all had it in stock.
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Has anyone used the bagged Mel's Mix? Empty Re:Mel's Bagged Mix.

Post  tabletopper 9/26/2011, 11:25 pm

Yes....thats where I have been buying mine for $12.95....Lowes......Home Depot is much closer for me...and since they are carrying his lil booklet.....theres hope....if enough people bother them with a paper letter......they will carry it I am sure....
tabletopper

Back to top Go down

Post  Luci Dawson 9/27/2011, 11:48 am

1orangething wrote:Thank you Luci, I will be checking the HD webpage.. I actually work for Home Depot and they haven't been able to get it in my store.

That surprises me; since HD is a national chain I'd would have expected all of the stores to carry it if one does in another area.

If you look it up online using "Mel's Mix" as the search term, then you won't find it at either HD or Lowe's...I know that because I did the same thing at first. HOWEVER, it you search for it using "Garden Time" or "Gardentime" as the search term (without the quotes) then you may have better luck! And both sites allow you to specify which store you want to shop at so you're not running around all day!!!

And do keep us posted on your results!
Luci Dawson
Luci Dawson

Back to top Go down

Post  westie42 9/27/2011, 12:54 pm

Not so Luci,HD, Lowes and the usual old K or Wal Marts all market regionally according to what should or does sell well. MM seems to be slowly spreading around the perimeter of the country first and not so much in the central fly by zones. I am hoping it reacher here next season, after all my hard work has been already done, lol.
westie42

Male Posts : 512

Back to top Go down

Post  Luci Dawson 9/27/2011, 1:57 pm

westie42 wrote:Not so Luci,HD, Lowes and the usual old K or Wal Marts all market regionally according to what should or does sell well. MM seems to be slowly spreading around the perimeter of the country first and not so much in the central fly by zones. I am hoping it reacher here next season, after all my hard work has been already done, lol.

That's good to know, Westie42! Thanks for enlightening us about the vagaries of local distribution.

But can't one order it online and have it shipped to your local store?
Luci Dawson
Luci Dawson

Back to top Go down

Has anyone used the bagged Mel's Mix? Empty Mel's Mix online at Home Depot

Post  1orangething 9/27/2011, 2:51 pm

Luci, there must not be a market for it yet, both places said it is not available around Tampa. Hopefully it will catch on soon.
1orangething
1orangething

Back to top Go down

Has anyone used the bagged Mel's Mix? Empty Mel's mix info

Post  Lindacol 9/27/2011, 8:46 pm

I just found this info. I didn't realize there were diffeences in the various bagged mixes.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=101285149955267&id=49238586812

Square Foot Gardening Foundation Garden Time Brand is made by Growell - we have to different types of Mel's Mix - one is for nurseries and one is for big box stores like lowes and home depots - they are both perfect - just the actual "Mel's Mix" has a few more special ingredients to the compost blend and costs a few bucks more.
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Post  Luci Dawson 9/28/2011, 1:06 pm

1orangething wrote:Luci, there must not be a market for it yet, both places said it is not available around Tampa. Hopefully it will catch on soon.

My condolences! Sad
Luci Dawson
Luci Dawson

Back to top Go down

Post  ishootaction 10/5/2011, 2:13 pm

Hey Luci

Hope all is well. I bought mine at HD in Yuma AZ and it was a fresh pallet because I had been there the week before and they were almost out. When I went back BOOM full pallet. I love it. My radishes sprouted in 2 days. Has anyone used the bagged Mel's Mix? 53366

ps: I think it is awesome that some of you guys and gals are online. cheers

Happy Gardening I love you
ishootaction
ishootaction

Male Posts : 54

Back to top Go down

Post  Luci Dawson 10/5/2011, 2:27 pm

That's great news about your radishes! My neighbor will be picking up 2 bags of Mel's Mix this week so I can plant some cut-and-cut again lettuce before the temps get too low at night, and I'm also going to try fall planting garlic for next year's harvest.

Really looking forward to this adventure!!!
Luci Dawson
Luci Dawson

Back to top Go down

Post  ishootaction 10/5/2011, 2:37 pm

Take pictures Luci. Very Happy We love pics. I read on here somewhere that they did soil sample testing and there were conflicting reports but the people that have been using it for years get good results. I believe Mels mix is AWESOME and will go with what works NOT with what some study says.

Happy gardening I love you
ishootaction
ishootaction

Male Posts : 54

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 10/21/2011, 6:25 pm

We have re-done our beds using the bagged mix, so we should have results soon. Will post back! Laughing
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down