Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Any one else here from Eastern South Dakota? Toplef10Any one else here from Eastern South Dakota? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Any one else here from Eastern South Dakota? I22gcj10Any one else here from Eastern South Dakota? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Any one else here from Eastern South Dakota? Toplef10Any one else here from Eastern South Dakota? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Any one else here from Eastern South Dakota? I22gcj10Any one else here from Eastern South Dakota? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:16 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Any one else here from Eastern South Dakota?

+2
BackyardBirdGardner
unmadecastle
6 posters

Go down

Any one else here from Eastern South Dakota? Empty Any one else here from Eastern South Dakota?

Post  unmadecastle 4/18/2011, 5:34 pm

Hi! I have been reading things here for the past week or so. I just gor my BOOK today and can't wait to start reading it. I am getting ready to set up my 2 square foot gardens. They are going to be 6x3 ft. The only thing is I am having trouble finding my 5 composts and course vermiculite.

I was wondering if any one else is from NE South Dakota and if so where you found your composts and vermiculite.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
unmadecastle
unmadecastle

Back to top Go down

Any one else here from Eastern South Dakota? Empty Re: Any one else here from Eastern South Dakota?

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 4/18/2011, 5:39 pm

Hey there and welcome aboard!! I sure hope someone jumps in soon from close to you.

I can tell you that Goosegirl is from SD, but I don't know how close she is to you. Either way, you ought to have some things to talk about that she can answer well.

Don't be shy about sharing pics once you get things set up. And, remember that no question should go unasked. This is such a friendly place with such friendly people. Glad to have you join us.

Once you get settled in, feel free to get involved with some discussions about this or that. There is always the Outside the Box area for all the random stuff we like to talk about, too.

Hope to see more of you around here. Happy Gardening!
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Any one else here from Eastern South Dakota? Empty Re: Any one else here from Eastern South Dakota?

Post  Goosegirl 4/19/2011, 8:52 am

unmadecastle wrote:Hi! I have been reading things here for the past week or so. I just gor my BOOK today and can't wait to start reading it. I am getting ready to set up my 2 square foot gardens. They are going to be 6x3 ft. The only thing is I am having trouble finding my 5 composts and course vermiculite.

I was wondering if any one else is from NE South Dakota and if so where you found your composts and vermiculite.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

I'm in NE SD. I got some of my vermiculite at the Watertown Menard's - look in the insulation section. They had 3 cu/ft bags for $14.99. As for the compost, I have friends that have ranches so I have been able to line up poo from cattle, horses, chickens, ducks, and possibly turkeys and guineas (I may even be able to round up some rabbit!). Between all those, I should be able to get a decent blend! There are some elk ranches in the area but I haven't contacted any of them to see if they would be willing to part with a few bucketsful. There are also ranches that have sheep, goats, and a few llamas thrown in. If you know anyone at all that has a few veggie-eating animals, ask if you can bring some buckets! We are surrounded by farms and ranches in this area - ask around and you may not have to pay a penny for compost! Just make sure to ask them for the oldest stuff they have!

TC
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  unmadecastle 4/19/2011, 5:41 pm

Goosegirl wrote:
unmadecastle wrote:Hi! I have been reading things here for the past week or so. I just gor my BOOK today and can't wait to start reading it. I am getting ready to set up my 2 square foot gardens. They are going to be 6x3 ft. The only thing is I am having trouble finding my 5 composts and course vermiculite.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

I'm in NE SD. I got some of my vermiculite at the Watertown Menard's - look in the insulation section. They had 3 cu/ft bags for $14.99. As for the compost, I have friends that have ranches so I have been able to line up poo from cattle, horses, chickens, ducks, and possibly turkeys and guineas (I may even be able to round up some rabbit!). Between all those, I should be able to get a decent blend! There are some elk ranches in the area but I haven't contacted any of them to see if they would be willing to part with a few bucketsful. There are also ranches that have sheep, goats, and a few llamas thrown in. If you know anyone at all that has a few veggie-eating animals, ask if you can bring some buckets! We are surrounded by farms and ranches in this area - ask around and you may not have to pay a penny for compost! Just make sure to ask them for the oldest stuff they have!

TC

Thanks for the response. I am going through Watertown this Friday so I will stop at Menards then. I called a friend and she can get me 3 of the 5 composts- sheep, cow and horse. Now off to look for the other 2. Now if it would just stop snowing I would be happy!

Thanks again,

Ann
unmadecastle
unmadecastle

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 4/19/2011, 6:28 pm

unmadecastle wrote:

Thanks for the response. I am going through Watertown this Friday so I will stop at Menards then. I called a friend and she can get me 3 of the 5 composts- sheep, cow and horse. Now off to look for the other 2. Now if it would just stop snowing I would be happy!

Thanks again,

Ann

I KNOW!!! Any one else here from Eastern South Dakota? 695909 It is just starting to sprinkle up here in Sisseton, to be followed by a possible few inches of snow tonight. I know it is only April, but my strawberries and potatoes came in the mail today and I want to DIG!

TC
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 4/26/2011, 4:43 am

Hey Castle! Did you get your vermiculite? We had enough of a break in the weather here that I got half my boxes filled and my potatoes and salad stuff planted. Hopefully the rain will keep them watered for me for a few days. I hope to get my strawberries in this weekend, but that is always 'weather permitting'.....
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 4/26/2011, 12:41 pm

Any one else here from Eastern South Dakota? 654548 Unmadecastle Any one else here from Eastern South Dakota? 654548

So glad you joined us.

Hope your weather is breaking and you are able to start a few cold weather plants.

Have fun and keep us posted on your progress.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  unmadecastle 4/26/2011, 9:57 pm

Goosegirl wrote:Hey Castle! Did you get your vermiculite? We had enough of a break in the weather here that I got half my boxes filled and my potatoes and salad stuff planted. Hopefully the rain will keep them watered for me for a few days. I hope to get my strawberries in this weekend, but that is always 'weather permitting'.....

Hey! I did get my vermiculite and got my 2 beds put together. Just waiting on 3 of my composts to get here so I (OK my husband) Very Happy can mix it all up for me.

Now if every one would just repeat after me: RAIN RAIN GO AWAY!!!!!! Mad
unmadecastle
unmadecastle

Back to top Go down

Post  scmelik 4/26/2011, 10:02 pm

NE SD here as well. I have no clue what I am doing but I am trying really hard and up to this point failing miserably.
scmelik

Back to top Go down

Post  unmadecastle 4/26/2011, 10:15 pm

I don't really what I am doing either! SFG is all new to me. I am so ready to start planting but it is still a little early here. I was in Sioux Falls last Friday and went to Lowes and Home Depot. They had their flowers and veggies out. I wanted to buy my stuff so bad but up here they would not make it yet.
unmadecastle
unmadecastle

Back to top Go down

Post  dreamingoutloud 4/26/2011, 11:38 pm

HI,

I am from north central South Dakota. We are in North Dakota now. This will be my first year at SFG too!!
dreamingoutloud
dreamingoutloud

Female Posts : 23

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down