Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
starts that don't look fully healthy--should I plant? Toplef10starts that don't look fully healthy--should I plant? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

starts that don't look fully healthy--should I plant? I22gcj10starts that don't look fully healthy--should I plant? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
starts that don't look fully healthy--should I plant? Toplef10starts that don't look fully healthy--should I plant? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

starts that don't look fully healthy--should I plant? I22gcj10starts that don't look fully healthy--should I plant? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:03 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:02 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 11:55 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

starts that don't look fully healthy--should I plant?

4 posters

Go down

starts that don't look fully healthy--should I plant? Empty starts that don't look fully healthy--should I plant?

Post  Lollypop9 4/13/2011, 5:23 pm

I have a lot of starts in little pots and because it has been snowing here they have stayed indoors longer than it probably good for them (not much windowseal for sunlight)- my 3 little tomato plants already flowered and look pretty good though they wilt and perk up often since they are in tiny amounts of dirt in their black carry case..I have another tomato plant that has some brown crumbly leaves--but it doesn't necessarily look like root rot or a disease--my cilantros are both VERY yellow leaves.

as for watering--do I water VERY often when I have little starts inside with little amount of water? I already threw some herbs away because the roots turned brown so now I'm trying to keep them not watered as often..but can't seem to figure it out! is wilting at a certain amount of day okay or should they be crisp all the time? that would be watering my tomatoes a couple times a day.

also the starts are not in mel's mix so maybe that has to do with it? (like the cilantro's little amount of soil is out of nutrients so the leaves are yellow?!) I need to get them outside but it's going to snow again today--ah!!! dumb weather! help..

oh and should I try and shake off all the nursery's dirt that is around the starts and THEN put in MM after cutting the bottom of the roots that are container shaped now?!
Lollypop9

Back to top Go down

starts that don't look fully healthy--should I plant? Empty Re: starts that don't look fully healthy--should I plant?

Post  dizzygardener 4/13/2011, 5:37 pm

I'd be willing to bet that the only thing wrong with your starts is that they are stressed out.

How long before you can move them outside? If it is going to be another couple weeks you should pot them up into larger pots filled with MM or similar. This will provide them with a nutrient source and will encourage growth.

Regarding watering, you want to keep the soil moist but let the top dry out a little between waterings. The easiest way to make sure you aren't over watering is to water from the bottom. Just set your trays down in about a half inch of water and let them sit there until the top of the soil is moist. The growing medium will only suck up as much water as it can hold then it will stop. Watering from the bottom encourages strong root structures.

When you pot up or transplant your seedlings take a look at the root ball. If the roots are dense and wrapping about the dirt they are root bound. You'll need to loosen the roots a bit before replanting them otherwise the plant will strangle itself. Mel actually recommends trimming the roots before you transplant. See page 125 of the All New SFG book.
dizzygardener
dizzygardener

Female Posts : 668

Back to top Go down

starts that don't look fully healthy--should I plant? Empty Re: starts that don't look fully healthy--should I plant?

Post  Lollypop9 4/13/2011, 8:14 pm

thanks for answering! do I need to worry about putting the dirt from the nursery in my sq ft garden?
Lollypop9

Back to top Go down

Post  dizzygardener 4/13/2011, 8:53 pm

That depends on whether or not your plants are diseased or infested with insects. IF they are diseased or infested, transplanting them soil and all will spread that through out your MM.

IF you believe your plants to be healthy but stressed, I don't see a problem with you transplanting them soil and all.
dizzygardener
dizzygardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Lollypop9 4/13/2011, 10:54 pm

does it put more stress on the plants to shake our the existing dirt?! I mean to be safe could I do it with all of them or would it be better to just put the soil in? what if it has weed seeds, etc?!
Lollypop9

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 4/13/2011, 11:20 pm

With my starts this year, I noticed as soon as they were at the point to need to be potted up they would start to turn yellow.

As soon as I potted them up and they had more room to stretch their roots they greened right back up.

I bet dizzy is right and they either need potting up or just to be put in the garden. Smile
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Post  dizzygardener 4/14/2011, 12:34 am

Lollypop9 wrote:does it put more stress on the plants to shake our the existing dirt?! I mean to be safe could I do it with all of them or would it be better to just put the soil in? what if it has weed seeds, etc?!

Anytime you disturb the roots of a plant you put stress on them. So, you'd only want to do to the roots what was necessary. It is not necessary to rinse the soil out unless there is disease or insect infestation and you are trying to save the plant instead of throw it away. I doubt very seriously you'll need to worry about weeds...
dizzygardener
dizzygardener

Back to top Go down

Post  SFG in Chicago 4/14/2011, 12:51 am

If you're still getting snow it's too early to plant out tomatoes, they don't tolerate frost at all. It sounds like you need to pot them up though, and if possible get an inexpensive fluorescent shop light for them.
SFG in Chicago

Female Posts : 110

http://www.glassfever.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Lollypop9 4/14/2011, 12:55 am

I was going to put the waterwalls around the tomatoes (and plant some more later) to see what happens. when you say plant up---do I get how much larger of pots to have? also--what's the easiest set up of lights for plants?! I do have room in my garage -where I could lay them out?! where would I get a cheap light and how do I hang it? set it up?
Lollypop9

Back to top Go down

Post  dizzygardener 4/14/2011, 1:08 am

Generally, you go up one maybe two inches in diameter.

As far as light do, well that depends on the space you have are things you might already have at your disposal.

Basically you need an inexpensive shoplight with chains. Two full spectrum lights.
something to hang the chains from.

Google "grow light set up" for some ideas on how to set it up.

I used used 3/4" PVC pipe to create a stand for my 4' lights.
dizzygardener
dizzygardener

Back to top Go down

Post  SFG in Chicago 4/14/2011, 1:09 am

I haven't tried the Wall of Water, so I can't attest to those. They may help with a light frost but not with a hard freeze I wouldn't think.

As for potting up, it's hard to say what size you need without seeing the plants, also depends on how long before you're going to plant out. Anything bigger would help though.

I got shop lights from Home Depot last year for I want to say around $10, not including the bulbs. They are the kind that hang from chains. I rigged them up on one of those wire shelving units hanging them by the chains (Used S hooks to attach to the wire shelving) so I could adjust the height as the plants grew.

You may also want to consider pinching off the flowers so they aren't spending energy on trying to produce fruit while they're stressed.
SFG in Chicago

Back to top Go down

Post  Lollypop9 4/14/2011, 11:36 am

i think you are right about stress---the cilantro that I was almost goingto toss because it is all yellow--the roots at the bottom of the conatiner are out of control!!!

do seedlings need light or can I atleast do those without a shop light?
Lollypop9

Back to top Go down

Post  SFG in Chicago 4/14/2011, 11:27 pm

Yes, they need light as soon as they sprout.
SFG in Chicago

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down