Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Is there anything that deer DONT like? Toplef10Is there anything that deer DONT like? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Is there anything that deer DONT like? I22gcj10Is there anything that deer DONT like? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Is there anything that deer DONT like? Toplef10Is there anything that deer DONT like? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Is there anything that deer DONT like? I22gcj10Is there anything that deer DONT like? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Is there anything that deer DONT like?

+9
AvaDGardner
Too Tall Tomatoes
ljphilpott
JustMe
rod champion
Nonna.PapaVino
littlejo
Lavender Debs
GWN
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Is there anything that deer DONT like? Empty Is there anything that deer DONT like?

Post  GWN 3/28/2012, 8:42 pm

We are building a fence with cattle panels and hoping to grow things up the panels like grapes and raspberries.
We are also hoping that the fence will at least slow down the deer... It will be about 5 feet high.
It just occurred to me that we might just be giving the deer lunch on a platter by growing things up the fence that they like.
I know they like the grapes, they pruned them well last year...
Sad
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Is there anything that deer DONT like? Empty Re: Is there anything that deer DONT like?

Post  Lavender Debs 3/28/2012, 8:50 pm

Dirty socks.... they do not like men's dirty gym socks.

Wear the same pair for a few days, work up a sweat (playing softball in cleats with man-made uppers helps). The stiffer, the better. Hang by clothes pins.

By the way, I've seen deer clear 6 foot fences with more ease than an olympic jumper....I'm just saying.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Is there anything that deer DONT like? Empty Re: Is there anything that deer DONT like?

Post  littlejo 3/28/2012, 9:34 pm

I planted squash(yellow crookneck) along the ground under the fence. They wouldn't eat or cross it. They ate everything they could reach until the squash got going. Here is a page listing different things to try. I don't know what will grow where you live.

Jo

http://www.ehow.com/info_8051810_deer-garden-vegetables.html
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 3/28/2012, 10:38 pm

HMMMM I have a 21 year old teenager who just might be able to create the ambience you are speaking of..... if'n... you know what I mean.... and he always leaves his clothes behind when he goes.

Crook neck squash, now that is interesting, soft delicious..... why would they avoid them, and eat my neighbours cedar trees....

I am going to try those two tips. I am open to anything....

GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 3/28/2012, 10:44 pm

By the way, I've seen deer clear 6 foot fences with more ease than an olympic jumper....I'm just saying.

Now I have heard that they can only clear a fence that tall, if there is nothing else there
If there is something there to make the fence somewhat wider, like a small hedge, they CANNOT clear a 6 foot fence.
So they can clear the fence, but only if it is a straight up and down venture......
If there was a bush on the other side to make it harder to jump.......
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 3/29/2012, 10:28 am

Here in the hills outside St. Helens, Or, we have a serious deer and elk "challenge" for gardening. Around the main garden is a 6-foot fence, so most of what is planted inside has been safe....so far. Last year, along the south-facing side of the garden, I planted winter squash and tomatoes, all of which I encouraged to use the wire-mesh fence for support. The deer kept the tomatoes totally trimmed to the wire (looked like someone had evened up that side with an electric trimmer). Not a single squash leaf or stem was ever munched. As to plants they avoid in the unfenced yard, here's a list: hellebores, iris, garlic and other smelly alliums, daffodils, rosemary, sage, rhododendron, holly, lilac, azalia, hostas, and a couple of ornamental grasses (names of which I've forgotten). Caveat: YMMV (your mileage may vary). The above avoidance of squash may be another reason for the Native American wisdom of planting "the three sisters" (corn, beans, squash) together.
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 3/29/2012, 11:00 am

The above avoidance of squash may be another reason for the Native American wisdom of planting "the three sisters" (corn, beans, squash) together.
Very interesting. I have lots of garlic, some rosemary, but could plant my squash along the fence.
Part of my property has an archaeologic covenant on it because it was an old river bed, so we are not supposed to dig there.

Do they eat berries, such as raspberries and blackberries?
My neighbour told me that they avoid his plum tree because it has sharp spikes on the stem....
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 3/29/2012, 11:17 am

Again, just my experience, but, no, I've not noticed deer damage on our raspberries. But, the pasture has large stands of both wild native blackberries and cultivated variety escapees. I know the bears come down to eat the berries in summer, but I've not noticed anything that looks like deer damage to the leaves. We've had to give up on the apples and pears, though, the elk have ravaged the trees each fall. Up here by the house, however, we put wooden shipping pallets in a ring around our favorite Sir Prize apple tree. Deer will not step on something that can trap their hooves (the spacing between pallet slats). Works like the old cattle guards on farm road entrances, suppose?
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  rod champion 3/29/2012, 2:33 pm

GWN wrote:We are building a fence with cattle panels and hoping to grow things up the panels like grapes and raspberries.
We are also hoping that the fence will at least slow down the deer... It will be about 5 feet high.
It just occurred to me that we might just be giving the deer lunch on a platter by growing things up the fence that they like.
Sad

Yes- a rifle bullet
rod champion

Male Posts : 125

http://www.southholstonriverflyshop.com

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 3/29/2012, 8:38 pm

Works like the old cattle guards on farm road entrances, suppose?
That sounds like a good idea.

We also have a couple of "scare crow" sprinklers, they are motion sensor sprinklers and if something moves they shoot out a very strong shot of water.
WE found that we were forever forgetting to turn them off, and just as you reach for a pea pod.....wammmo.... you get soaked.

I might try raspberries, however we have bears here too, apparently even grisslies, but at least they will not climb the fence...
We have moose as well, however they do not seem to have been a problem yet.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  rod champion 3/30/2012, 11:35 am

Great idea Nonna
rod champion

Male Posts : 125

http://www.southholstonriverflyshop.com

Back to top Go down

Post  JustMe 3/31/2012, 7:10 pm

We have two raised beds - one SFG with a green grid on a roll 'fence' around it and one with two rhubarb plants in it w/o any barrier. Last year, something nibbled on the rhubarb leaves. After that initial nibble, the rhubarb was left alone.
JustMe

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 3/31/2012, 9:03 pm

Hmmmm, I've heard rhubarb leaves are poisonous. Bet it gave the nibbler a tummy ache. So, are you planting rhubarb all around your garden? inquiring minds want to know
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  JustMe 4/1/2012, 11:03 pm

The two rhubarb plants are enough for us. Actually, I planted them because my mom loves rhubarb, and I was always buying frozen rhubarb before any visit. This year, my parents will visit in the spring, so I'm hoping she can see the 'farm to table' with the rhubarb instead of pulling frozen stuff out of the frozen for their annual fall visit.

A neighbor has a radio that they play in a shed near their garden to keep away deer.

Most of us have installed some sort of 'temporary' fencing to repel the deer. We're not allowed to put up fences in our neighborhood unless it's around a pool. Some use the green grid on a roll, some use a metal grid, and some take their chances. Mine are secured with velcro ties so I can get inside the box.

Last edited by JustMe on 4/1/2012, 11:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
JustMe

Back to top Go down

Is there anything that deer DONT like? Empty Pesky Deers be gone!!

Post  ljphilpott 4/1/2012, 11:17 pm

The deer were snacking all over our new little orchard trees last fall. Our apple, plums, pear and peach trees were taking a beating, when we were told to hang Ivory soap from the limbs of the little trees. It was been months since there have even been deer tracks anywhere near the trees. We do not have any kind of fence around the orchard. They are all leafed out and blooming and should be drawing the deer like crazy but they have been safe so far! We hang two halves of soap with a little hole drilled in the center and hang them with string from the strongest limbs. We replace the soap every month when the smell starts to disappear!
ljphilpott
ljphilpott

Female Posts : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  Too Tall Tomatoes 4/1/2012, 11:31 pm

GWN wrote: HMMMM I have a 21 year old teenager who just might be able to create the ambience you are speaking of..... if'n... you know what I mean.... and he always leaves his clothes behind when he goes.

Crook neck squash, now that is interesting, soft delicious..... why would they avoid them, and eat my neighbours cedar trees....

I am going to try those two tips. I am open to anything....

Maybe I can mail you some of my work socks. You would benefit from using them and I would consider it payback for that "queen" comment earlier.

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!
Too Tall Tomatoes
Too Tall Tomatoes

Male Posts : 1069

Back to top Go down

Post  AvaDGardner 4/2/2012, 1:56 am

GWN wrote:We are building a fence with cattle panels and hoping to grow things up the panels like grapes and raspberries.
Sad

Human Hair.

Seriously.

Ask your local salons & barbers to keep it for you. Some states require you to have a container just for cut hair.

You could put it on the ground (although birds might use it for nests). You could put it in hosiery, and tie it to fences, or hang from trees.

Full of nitrogen and protein!
AvaDGardner
AvaDGardner

Female Posts : 634

Back to top Go down

Post  Too Tall Tomatoes 4/2/2012, 8:04 am

AvaDGardner wrote:
Sad

Human Hair.

Seriously.

Ask your local salons & barbers to keep it for you. Some states require you to have a container just for cut hair.

You could put it on the ground (although birds might use it for nests). You could put it in hosiery, and tie it to fences, or hang from trees.

Full of nitrogen and protein!

I forgot the hair trick. I know for a fact that it works against rabbits.

You might get some looks if you ask them to keep hair for you but it'll probably work with deer as well.
Too Tall Tomatoes
Too Tall Tomatoes

Male Posts : 1069

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 4/2/2012, 11:02 am

I have a neighbour that tried the cougar pee thing, but it did not work, but I am wondering about human pee.
Last year they left my entire garden alone pretty much up until the fall.
I was fertilizing all of the nitrogen loving plants with urine........
Now I am wondering if perhaps leaving a trail along the fence line might help......
I can try the hair thing as well, we have TONS Of dog hair with two labs shedding all the time.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  nycquilter 4/2/2012, 2:05 pm

I've learned that the deer will allow me to grow almost any zucchini or winter squash without fencing it in. I also can grow onions, garlic, and most perennial herb without fencing. However, the deer will eat almost anything if there is nothing nearby they favor. They've nibbled my witch hazel and pussy willow to the ground last year. This past winter, I covered them with netting and that was better. They leave my rasp- and black-berries alone and also my gooseberry alone. They make me want to shoot them but the problem is I dislike the taste of venison...my labs don't, so maybe I will learn to shoot after all (not likely)
nycquilter

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 4/2/2012, 2:13 pm

Well it sounds like some of my crops might be safe at least.

I have a large bag of old seeds, that I am thinking now that the rainy season is starting.... of sowing all of those seeds in the way back ... away from my yard,
We live on the edge of a forest, and are really only using the front of our property, last fall we cleared an area to put in a geothermal heating system and the entire area is just open MUD
I am thinking of taking all of those seeds and spreading them out where the construction went on, however I wonder if I attract them that far, they will likely seed GREENER gardens just a little further in..

Has anyone grown anything away from their garden to keep them from eating the garden??
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 4/2/2012, 2:20 pm

Maybe I can mail you some of my work socks. You would benefit from using them and I would consider it payback for that "queen" comment earlier.
Well only if you leave a few of those heirloom seeds between the toes.... :drunken:
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  AvaDGardner 4/2/2012, 9:35 pm

GWN wrote:I have a neighbour that tried the cougar pee thing, but it did not work, but I am wondering about human pee.
Last year they left my entire garden alone pretty much up until the fall.
I was fertilizing all of the nitrogen loving plants with urine........
Now I am wondering if perhaps leaving a trail along the fence line might help......
I can try the hair thing as well, we have TONS Of dog hair with two labs shedding all the time.

@TTT - naw, they probably won't flinch at all. Just want to know when you want to come get it!

@GWN - I've found hormonal human female urine is very good at keeping away all kinds of flying/biting creatures no matter how hot the weather, but I don't know what it would do with deer...or how you would replentish it with wet conditions! I think I'd stay with hair in nylon hose. Much easier to deal with!

If you are in hunting country, hunters will tell you that they can smell human bodies for a long distance, and head further up. But if they know it's safe in your yard, "human bodies" may mean 'good food source.'
AvaDGardner
AvaDGardner

Female Posts : 634

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 4/2/2012, 9:41 pm

If you are in hunting country, hunters will tell you that they can smell human bodies for a long distance, and head further up.
CSI guys can also smell human bodies apparently... reading
I am going to give the female urine a try.

I will report back good job!

I sure hope there are no human bodies at my place, however apparently a guy died here a long time ago... affraid
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuxdad 4/2/2012, 9:41 pm

I was reading somewhere, a few years ago about in africa they had trouble with the elephants in their crop.. They use cayenne pepper(powdered of course) to ward them off.. Wonder if that'd work hear in your case ??Is there anything that deer DONT like? 601593 They do have a keen sense of smell.. The only thing would be that you'd have to treat them after every rain, and also remember to wash off whatever you treated:affraid: ..

Just a thought ...
Tuxdad
Tuxdad

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum