Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
I want to start but dont know where to begin. Toplef10I want to start but dont know where to begin. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

I want to start but dont know where to begin. I22gcj10I want to start but dont know where to begin. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
I want to start but dont know where to begin. Toplef10I want to start but dont know where to begin. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

I want to start but dont know where to begin. I22gcj10I want to start but dont know where to begin. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 4:45 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:19 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

I want to start but dont know where to begin.

+15
gregrenee88
Goosegirl
decorpe
RoOsTeR
funfoodie
darci.strutt
llama momma
Unmutual
walshevak
Jerry Nielsen
CharlesB
camprn
Lindacol
plantoid
bigluelok
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

I want to start but dont know where to begin. Empty I want to start but dont know where to begin.

Post  bigluelok 9/7/2012, 6:11 pm

sorry if this is the wrong place to post this mods can move it.

Alright I am really looking forward to starting a SFG but I don't know where to start. I would like to start my first SFG as soon as possible but don't know what to plant or how many I can put in 1 Square Foot.
I would like to start of with a 4x4x6. I know I can make my own bed. I know i can get some Mels Mix to start. I am just confused on the planting part of this whole thing i have never planted anything before.

all help is welcome. I live in ALtadena, CA zip code is 91001 if that helps any.
bigluelok

Back to top Go down

I want to start but dont know where to begin. Empty Re: I want to start but dont know where to begin.

Post  plantoid 9/7/2012, 6:36 pm

Welcome to the site.
Judging from your post you seem to have an understanding of the terminology used . Do you have the All New Square Foot Gardening book by Mel Bartholomew 2006 edition ? It is the guide line for our style of square foot gardening

Logically you'll need to start organising a raised bed and the materials to put in it.

Sometimes people are a wee bit to eager and jump in with both feet before understanding the importance of a well balanced compost made from quality materials and as a result end up with an inferior filling for the beds which is very demoralizing for them when things don't grow as exp[ected. .

In Mel's book he tells about the siting of the bed and how to make the soilless growth medium we use called Mel's mix ( MM ) the book also holds loads of useful information like first and last frost dates and seed sowing/cropping using that information to get the best times to do things in your area.

I'm from the Great Britain / UK so much of what Ii do will not be applicable to square foot gardning in you locality .
Hopefuly someone will come online soon and help you out more.

plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

I want to start but dont know where to begin. Empty Re: I want to start but dont know where to begin.

Post  Lindacol 9/7/2012, 6:50 pm

I want to start but dont know where to begin. 654548

Do you have the All New Square Foot Gardening book? If not, get it or check it out from the library. Most of your questions are answered in it.

Search this forum. There are lots of discussions and info here. Also look at our local part:

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/f14-southern-california-inland-valleys

Our moderator for so CA has been very good about listing what can be planted each month. You can look thru recomendations for each month for the last year and that will give you some ideas.

I am about 60 miles west of you in SW San Bernardino county. I am just now starting lettuce seeds and plan on starting some brococoli, carrots, beans, maybe some garlic soon. I have tomatoes, corn, carrots, squash, beans, bell & gypsy peppers and sweet potatoes in the garden right now. Plus maybe a few things I forgot.

We have a very long growing season. I can grow all year with nearly no protection.
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 9/7/2012, 7:18 pm

Firstly, get the BOOK!

glad you\'re here to the SFG Forum! Use the search feature at the bottom of the 'Latest Topics list for anything specific. there are a lot of threads and a lot of info already here. Enjoy!

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

I want to start but dont know where to begin. WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  CharlesB 9/7/2012, 7:35 pm

You want to plant seeds or buy starts?
CharlesB
CharlesB

Male Posts : 273

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Nielsen 9/7/2012, 8:05 pm

bigluelok,

I'm in Pasadena, so it would be my pleasure to help you think through what you might plant. If you feel safe doing so, send me a private message and suggest a place we could meet over a cup of coffee or tea and we can talk about what you might plant.

Here's a post by Chopper, our Southern California Inland Valleys regional forum host, about what you might plant around here in September.

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t13782-september-in-so-cal-transition-monthhttps://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t13782-september-in-so-cal-transition-month

I'm just completing my online certification to be an SFG Certified Instructor, so you can be my first official student. I want to start but dont know where to begin. 3170584802

Seriously, it would be my pleasure to help.

Jerry Nielsen

To send a private message, just click on the little square symbol below my picture that has a little man and the letters PM. That will take you to the private message page. Type in a subject and your message and click the send button. I hope to hear from you soon.
Jerry Nielsen
Jerry Nielsen

Male Posts : 13

http://www.easysquarefootgardening.com

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 9/7/2012, 10:41 pm

Yea for new instructors. Good for you

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Unmutual 9/8/2012, 8:31 am

bigluelok wrote:sorry if this is the wrong place to post this mods can move it.

Alright I am really looking forward to starting a SFG but I don't know where to start. I would like to start my first SFG as soon as possible but don't know what to plant or how many I can put in 1 Square Foot.
I would like to start of with a 4x4x6. I know I can make my own bed. I know i can get some Mels Mix to start. I am just confused on the planting part of this whole thing i have never planted anything before.

all help is welcome. I live in ALtadena, CA zip code is 91001 if that helps any.

Your local Cooperative Extension (County) Agent is a great place to start when you want to find out planting dates and what cultivars grow well in your area. If you know any Master Gardeners, you can ask them too. I'd have found you a link, but my internet is still suffering from Isaac.
Unmutual

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 396

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 9/8/2012, 9:02 am

bigluelok -

Everything you need to get results is in the book which this forum supports, All New Square Foot Gardening, by Mel Bartholomew.
Like you I wanted to start a sf garden but I got the book, didn't know about the forum, still had successful results right away. Now, more than two years later the book is still a source of reference for planting times and more.
Enjoy and welcome to the forum.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  darci.strutt 9/8/2012, 10:25 am

With a new teacher, that happens to live close to you, willing to help and all these great people to give you support you are well on your way to great fresh food. The one thing I'd add is to grab your camera and start snapping a photo diary of your progress. Seriously! Experience is a wonderful teacher, and photo's and notes are much better than memory alone. Have fun on the journey! Hope you share your progress here.
darci.strutt
darci.strutt

Female Posts : 95

Back to top Go down

Post  bigluelok 9/10/2012, 1:21 pm

yes i will be sending Jerry Nielson a pm soon to set up a day we can talk about getting me started. Very Happy I will be checking out the book from the library then will be buying it after i get everything started.\

also i would like to thank everyone for the welcome and for all the helpful info
bigluelok

Back to top Go down

Post  bigluelok 9/10/2012, 1:24 pm

CharlesB wrote:You want to plant seeds or buy starts?
either would be fine for me to start. I know starting seeds would be more difficult than just using starters. so i think for the first plants i would use starters then i would use seeds if/when all goes good.
bigluelok

Back to top Go down

Post  funfoodie 9/10/2012, 6:29 pm

I'm just about to get started too. I'm having difficulty locating all the materials for Mel's Mix. I've checked out Home Depot, Lowes and OSH. None of the ones near me have Mel's Mix nor 5 different types of compost. I don't live far from Altadena. Which stores near you have Mel's Mix or the ingredients for Mel's Mix?
funfoodie
funfoodie

Back to top Go down

I want to start but dont know where to begin. Empty Sources of compost mixes for Pasadena/Altadena area.

Post  Jerry Nielsen 9/10/2012, 7:54 pm

I have been able over time to find a variety of compost mixes shopping at a combination of stores in the area.

I've always gotten my vermiculite at the OSH on South Fair Oaks just before the Pasadena Freeway.

Orchard Supply Hardware (OSH)
452 Fair Oaks Avenue
South Pasadena, CA 91030
(626) 403-8115 (Never hurts to call ahead.)

I've gotten compost mixes at OSH in Pasadena on Colorado Blvd.

Orchard Supply Hardware (OSH)
3425 East Colorado Boulevard
Pasadena
(626) 395-7115

And at . . .

Home Depot, Monrovia.
1625 South Mountain Avenue
Monrovia, CA
(626) 256-0580

I've always been able to put together five or more different composts. ALWAYS check the ingredients on the bag to make sure that it isn't "fortified" or that it doesn't contain herbicides or pesticides.

You should also be looking for different types of raw materials used as the source material for the compost.

I nice big blue tarp is the ideal way to make up what you need for a good portion of Mel's Mix. Having said that, get your compost pile started NOW! It should be the ongoing source of compost for future additions to your boxes.

BTW, the City of Pasadena sells plastic compost bins for $50.00. They will even deliver them to your house. I have never bought one, but they look pretty good.

Check it out at this link: http://www.cityofpasadena.net/PublicWorks/Ordering_Compost_Bins/

If that's too great an expense, by all means just use a trash can or 10 to 15 feet of hardware cloth. It doesn't have to be fancy. After all, we're SFG gardeners, and we believe, "Simplify, simplify, simplify!" Laughing

Happy gardening! Let me know if I can be of any assistance.

Jerry
Jerry Nielsen
Jerry Nielsen

Male Posts : 13

http://www.easysquarefootgardening.com

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 9/10/2012, 8:01 pm

Great advice Jerry! Cool

I want to start but dont know where to begin. Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

I want to start but dont know where to begin. Empty living in another country

Post  decorpe 9/10/2012, 8:50 pm

hi
I live in REp of Panama Central America
we have a tropical climate and here almost all things grow very well
I bought Mel´s book in MIami in 2009
I´m retired now so I have enough time for this and to do it well.

I am reading the posts for the SFG table and I am going this way
I found already a technic in agriculture from our goverment and Thank   he wants to help me.

I promise I am going to post here all my experience because I want to teach SFG in my country. Of course I need all the help all of you can give to me, so please DON´T LEVE ALONE

thanks
Dolores from Panama

I
decorpe
decorpe

Female Posts : 7

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 9/11/2012, 6:07 am

Welcome to the site .
May I suggest you get a mixed material compost heap going as soon as possible made from from vegetation , straws and animal manures .... try to keep wood & really woody plant products to a minimum as they rob the compost of nitrogen whilst they are decaying , which can take several years before they become useful compost.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 9/11/2012, 7:55 am

welcome

What is your climate? Are you in the mountains or lower (hotter) elevation? I visited friends in Volcan in May! Drove from Panama City through the length of the country to Volcan. GORGEOUS! Saw plants and trees I can only dream about here in South Dakota, USA.

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrenee88 9/11/2012, 12:12 pm

Hello!
You've come to the right place for help! My husband and I are just completing our first year doing SFG and really enjoy it. We all look forward to see how your garden grows once it get's going.
Renee
gregrenee88
gregrenee88

Female Posts : 280

Back to top Go down

I want to start but dont know where to begin. Empty in Panama

Post  decorpe 9/11/2012, 9:18 pm

hi
thanks for your quick answer
I live in Santiago, province of Veraguas
the climate here is very humid and very hot
right now is rainy season and the thermometer marks 34°C in the afternoon and then begins to rain, so in the night its 25°C,
it is a very large temperature shift
but i will live with this to see my plants grow

glad to know about all of you

Dolores
decorpe
decorpe

Back to top Go down

Post  Daniel9999 9/11/2012, 10:35 pm

Goosegirl wrote: welcome

What is your climate? Are you in the mountains or lower (hotter) elevation? I visited friends in Volcan in May! Drove from Panama City through the length of the country to Volcan. GORGEOUS! Saw plants and trees I can only dream about here in South Dakota, USA.

GG

I would love to be able to grow my own vanilla.....I envy decorpe too.
Daniel9999
Daniel9999

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 9/11/2012, 11:25 pm

We drove right through Santiago on our way to David from Panama City on the Pan Am. From David we left the Pan Am and went up into the mountains to Volcan. Such a beautiful country! Wish you the best with your SFG's!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

I want to start but dont know where to begin. Empty choosing plants

Post  decorpe 9/14/2012, 9:10 pm

hi
following SFG instructions I began with a wish list
but I want to know wich plant may be next to other
sorry if my english is not good......
the list:
garlic, celery, onion, broccoli, kidney bean, bean, lettuce,
yam, potato, cucumber, tomato, radish, carrot, pumpkin,
oregano, chives, basil, peppermint, mint, rosmery,
parsley, thyme, vetiver,
cantaloupe, watermelon, strawberry, , passion fruit, corn
marigolds

it appear to me that I want only a little list.............
of course this wish list will be planted little by little in six months I think

remember that I live in a tropical country
your advice please...
thanks
decorpe
decorpe

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 9/14/2012, 9:31 pm

decorpe wrote:hi
the list:
parsley, thyme, vetiver,
marigolds

your advice please...
thanks

You will probably need to divide your list into 'cool weather' and 'hot weather' crops. Your broccoli, lettuce, radishes, and carrots will do better if planted in your cooler season, or planted in the shade of your hotter weather crops. Carrots and tomatoes get along very nicely, so if you plant your carrots where they will get some shade from the tomatoes they will be very happy. Basil plays nicely with just about everything. I envy your climate where you can have rosemary all year long! The mints will be very invasive, so it is wise to put them in their own containers or boxes where they cannot crowd out and kill whatever is planted next to them. Marigolds are good just about anywhere in the garden. Your vines (cucumbers, pumpkins, watermelons, cantaloupes, etc.) can be trellised to save space, or can be planted with the corn to keep critters out - lots of 4-legged pests do not like walking through the sprawling vines.

Someone else please jump in with more suggestions!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 9/14/2012, 9:36 pm

decorpe wrote:hi
the list:
parsley, thyme, vetiver,
marigolds

your advice please...
thanks

Your English is a lot better than my Spanish and you are doing extremely well.
Heat may be a problem for celery, broccoli and lettuce. The rest are warm weather crops and will probably do well. I do have one suggestion, put the mints in separate pots. They are very invasive and will take over everthing. I hope some of our gardners from the tropical zones will step in with their successes.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum