Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Cats in your garden? - Page 2 Toplef10Cats in your garden? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Cats in your garden? - Page 2 I22gcj10Cats in your garden? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Cats in your garden? - Page 2 Toplef10Cats in your garden? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Cats in your garden? - Page 2 I22gcj10Cats in your garden? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Cats in your garden?

+50
bbbevey
WriterCPA
ronaldjackman4
boffer
R&R 1011
Gunny
donnainzone5
drixnot
Turan
RoOsTeR
jazzycat
Lindacol
jjlonsdale
plantoid
brenda g
CapeCoddess
iiiigardener
Triciasgarden
quiltbea
southern gardener
binfordmj
camprn
kcunha
Hasselback
TexasTracy
malefacter
Nonna.PapaVino
cheyannarach
mrs. miller
clho
steelrfan57
BetsyC
doneal
Hoggar
littlesapphire
BrotherNorm
kittykat
llama momma
H_TX_2
AndreaHall
Old Hippie
sceleste54
MasonGarden
outsideasy
ashort
Furbalsmom
shannon1
middlemamma
myhouseofBOYS
clfraser
54 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Cats in your garden? - Page 2 Empty cats in the garden

Post  steelrfan57 5/14/2012, 11:41 am

[b]where do you put the coffee grounds and if you put in the garden soil, does this affect the soil?
steelrfan57
steelrfan57

Back to top Go down

Cats in your garden? - Page 2 Empty cats inthe garden

Post  steelrfan57 5/14/2012, 3:41 pm

how did you make the critter cages?, and how are they removed to work in the garden? I have alot of stray cats around here, and rabbits, this looks like a good idea, my raised garden is not but 4' x 4'. thank you :scratch:
steelrfan57
steelrfan57

Back to top Go down

Cats in your garden? - Page 2 Empty cats in the garden

Post  steelrfan57 5/14/2012, 3:43 pm

how did you make the critter cages, this looks like a great idea, my garden is 4'x4' thank you this is to llama mama--thanks again :scratch: flower
steelrfan57
steelrfan57

Back to top Go down

Cats in your garden? - Page 2 Empty Re: Cats in your garden?

Post  llama momma 5/14/2012, 5:41 pm

steelrfan57 - I had my hubby follow the directions in the All New Square Foot Gardening Book. It's made with four one inch by 2 inch boards, 4 feet long, chicken wire with 1 inch holes, (2 inch holes will let in more critters, zip ties, cutting shears for the wire, and a power drill. Pages 65-70 gives all the details and plenty of photos too. My husband makes the wooden square and I take it from there. When handling the wire, do wear long sleeves, don't wear shorts, and I use leather gloves to handle the chicken wire. Unless you like bleeding..... Shocked
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  clho 5/17/2012, 9:20 pm

The critter cages are a super easy project following the directions in the book. I am not at all handy and I made the entire thing myself in about an hour. My dog is a digger and they keep him off my square.
clho
clho

Back to top Go down

Cats in your garden? - Page 2 Empty Cats vs. gardens

Post  mrs. miller 6/5/2012, 7:57 am

Anybody have some tips on how to keep the cats from digging in my gardens. It's very annoying to have plants come up where you didn't plant them and not come up where you did.
mrs. miller
mrs. miller

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 6/5/2012, 9:10 am

Try planting catnip in a different area in the yard to attract them to it instead of your garden beds.
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 6/5/2012, 10:21 am

Two things have worked for me to keep itinerate feral cats from using newly planted beds: plastic dinner forks pushed into soil tines up (mentioned elsewhere on forum) in the potato beds, and laying a strip of old chicken wire over a newly planted veggie bed. Cats don't like to step on the springy, rough stuff. For a 4-foot-square bed with young plants, I've surrounded it with a 2' tall strip of heavy green plastic 'chicken wire' fastened to 3' sections of PVC pipe pushed into the corners of the bed. Side note: if you have catnip planted, and cats love it to death, you can upend an old dish drainer over it. The cats get to chew the 'nip that grows through the mesh, but are unable to wallow it to extinction.
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  malefacter 6/5/2012, 10:52 am

http://www.contech-inc.com/videos/scarecrow/crowloop_high.wmv

scarecrow
malefacter
malefacter

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 6/5/2012, 12:40 pm

This Spring I had an unplanted bed warming up and put a double layered of chicken wire to keep out stray cats and my barn cats. They would not like the feel and the springy-ness.. My barncat Sabrina not only walked on the springy wire then lay down, then upside down and went to sleep in the middle of the bed, back legs stretched out and front paws stretched over her head. The silliest animal I've ever owned, everything is fun and games with her.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  TexasTracy 6/5/2012, 7:06 pm

The plastic forks, tines up worked for me!
TexasTracy
TexasTracy

Female Posts : 88

Back to top Go down

Post  Hasselback 6/6/2012, 2:04 am

Are they your cats? If not, get a live-catch trap. Ransom them back to the owners and that'll teach them to keep the kitties inside.

G.
Hasselback
Hasselback

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 6/6/2012, 2:20 am

Hasselback wrote:Are they your cats? If not, get a live-catch trap. Ransom them back to the owners and that'll teach them to keep the kitties inside.

G.

LOL +1
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Cats in your garden? - Page 2 Empty Neighbor cat thinks it's a litter box :(

Post  kcunha 12/6/2012, 3:37 pm

We have two neighbor cats peeing in my box:( Not sure if I should just trash everything? How can I keep them away? They just jump over our fence. I have a lot of tall plants that would make it hard to put chicken wire over the box (green beans, peas, tomatoes, etc.). I appreciate any feedback:)

Thanks!
kcunha
kcunha

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 12/6/2012, 4:02 pm

there are multiple threads about this subject that you can find using the search feature at the bottom of the latest topics list on the left.
here is one of those threads:

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t12712-cats-vs-gardens?highlight=Cats+in+box

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Cats in your garden? - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  binfordmj 12/6/2012, 4:10 pm

I had that problem right after I built my raised bed. I used wire squares from shelves to create walls. Worked great. Also, they might not like the feel of wood mulch on their little paws.
There is a product on the market to keep them away if you use it outside the box it might work.

Good luck.

Cats in your garden? - Page 2 Fall_g14
binfordmj
binfordmj

Female Posts : 43

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 12/6/2012, 6:02 pm

i haven't tried this, but it sure looks like it would work!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5D3GKlTkpY
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 12/6/2012, 7:22 pm

Southerngardnener....I love that idea. Those motion-sensitive sprinklers can do the trick.
I also heard that sheets of aluminum foil on the squares here and there will deter them. They don't like the crinkling of the foil.
There's plenty of things one can try before giving up their gardening. I wouldn't let the cats defeat me if I really wanted fresh, tasty, food on my table.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 12/6/2012, 8:49 pm

I have had that problem for a few years with lots of ferrel cats that several neighbors fed/feed. This Spring and Summer I spent so much time trying to deter the cats and dig their poo out of the beds. I just got fed up with the neighbors lack of concern. I tried so many things but the cats were tenacious. I finally had to call animal control and use a humane trap they loan out. I set the trap in my garden area that has nine 4x6 beds. That was the only place I was concerned about. I caught nine cats and I know there are several more wandering close by. I don't know if they are still visiting the beds.

One of my neighbors bought an ultrasonic deterrent to try to solve the problem after Animal Control had a talk with her. It worked sporadically and I saw one cat walk right next to it, almost touching it and the deterrent didn't go off. I didn't use a water deterrent because I didn't want to have to have the water on all the time and also risk the hose blowing out and flooding the yard. Since that didn't work, when I was done with my garden in the Fall I left the garden gate open and let the dogs chase after the cats. This may have worked but I don't think the cats are permanently gone if the dogs don't keep after them.

I was thinking of setting up an electric fence on my side of the wooden fence that divide the yards. I don't know much about them but it may be something to check into.

Someone I know got a humane trap. When they caught their neighbor's cat, they took it to the owner's house and told them what they did. They told them that this time it was free, the next time it would be taken to animal control and they would have to bail it out.
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  TexasTracy 12/6/2012, 11:25 pm

I had success with plastic forks in the Spring but just recently had 2 cats that kept going in my beds and it didn't work. Pecan mulch didn't work. I ended up renting a live trap from the feed store and had animal control come get them. I hated to do it but I have spent too much time and money to have it all ruined because people let their cats run roam loose.
TexasTracy
TexasTracy

Female Posts : 88

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 12/9/2012, 12:46 am

I did try the dried peppers. I crushed them and sprinkled them around. Maybe they were too old because those were scratched into and partially buried with the cat poo when they visited that night. I tried sticking wooden skewers and sticks into the soil. I tried chicken wire on the beds where there were not plants growing. They found the spots where the skewers, sticks and wire were not and did their business there. I nailed nails into the top of the fence. I saw them climb over and it seemed like they just spread their feet out and around the nails. I sprayed the repellent spray on the fence that is supposed to keep animals away from areas. I draped chicken wire strips to the top of the fence thinking they wouldn't want to walk on it. They didn't mind it at all.

When I set the traps I used a half a can of tuna, mashed it up a bit to get the smell strong and left some of the liquid in with it. The other half I put into a plastic container with a lid for the next time. Baiting with cat food to me was too expensive. I would catch a cat within 5-30 minutes of setting the trap. I didn't enjoy having to resort to the trapping but after catching nine and more still out there, I knew that I didn't have a fighting chance otherwise.
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Cats in your garden? - Page 2 Empty What besides a cat covers its business - a mound in the middle of my SFG

Post  iiiigardener 4/24/2013, 1:20 pm

Lo and Behold, I went to check my garden this morning and found a 12 x 12 inch mound. At first I thought perhaps an ant hill in the making but upon further investigation, I found a pile of you know what. I removed the deposit, along with the seedlings that were dug into it.

My questions are three fold. Is there anything besides a cat that would cover its business? It seemed kind of large for a cat - unless it was a very large cat. Second, do I need to do anything to the bed to "denature" it? Finally, is there a spray or something to keep the critter out in the future?

Thanks!
iiiigardener
iiiigardener

Female Posts : 80

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 4/24/2013, 2:39 pm

I found a poop log right on top of my compost pile the other day. Just one laying there on the center of the tippy top right out in the open. I was wondering if someone put it there. Seems unlikely but ... what else could it be???

Could someone who was walking their dog put the poop in your bed and buried it? Or are there animal foot prints?

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  brenda g 4/24/2013, 3:23 pm

I can't think of any animal besides a cat that would do that. I have seen - much to my dismay - my neighbor's cat repeatedly deficate in my flower beds (as such, I am developing VERY strong feelings about roaming cats) and I must say, I was pretty shocked at how large the, um, pile was.... I have a 35 pound dog and the cat's fecal bundle was as large as my dog's.

You could try sprinkling spent coffee grounds to help deter cats as well as many other garden pests (just be careful where you put it, as too much can alter soil pH). Good luck!
brenda g
brenda g

Back to top Go down

Cats in your garden? - Page 2 Empty Reply with quote Re: What besides a cat covers its business - a mound in the middle of my SFG

Post  iiiigardener 4/24/2013, 3:25 pm

We didn't see any footprints which was why I thought originally a large ant hill. It is in our backyard behind a gated six foot fence. The fence wasn't locked but would someone really go to the trouble of sneaking in and digging and then covering a hole? I didn't think so, but it looked as big as a dog pile but under four inches of raked up MM mound. I didn't think we had lived at our house long enough to get someone mad at us - we are pretty much live and let live types but who knows?

The fence has a little clearance under it at the gates (about five inches), so an animal could cram its way under. We don't know of anyone with an outside cat but we do live within four blocks of a creek so maybe a stray. We have inside only cats so we are familiar with the size of the deposit, so to speak. This was at least two times the diameter of what we have seen before and we have a couple of big cats.

I don't know why a dog would chose to pick a bed and dig and cover rather than just doing it where ever but I don't know much about dog habits. I live in McKinney just north of Dallas and I don't know if there are wild animals that might have scaled the fence but I would hate to come face to face with something big enough to have deposited the treasure.

I don't know if the bed needs cleaning out more than removal of the poop and I'm probably not going to replant the square this spring just in case our visitor returns.

Last edited by iiiigardener on 4/24/2013, 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling error)
iiiigardener
iiiigardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next