Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Keeping cats out of the SFG Toplef10Keeping cats out of the SFG 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Keeping cats out of the SFG I22gcj10Keeping cats out of the SFG 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Keeping cats out of the SFG Toplef10Keeping cats out of the SFG 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Keeping cats out of the SFG I22gcj10Keeping cats out of the SFG 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by arussman Today at 6:08 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Today at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Today at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Today at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Keeping cats out of the SFG

+20
AndreaHall
PB
Odd Duck
plb
LaFee
Mirjam
Megan
Chopper
junequilt
PeggyC
Little Thumb
herbarium
nancy
Nurse Grams
aliciazim
choksaw
timwardell
bpbdrummer
Jiro
nidiyao
24 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Keeping cats out of the SFG Empty Keeping cats out of the SFG

Post  nidiyao 3/31/2010, 11:24 am

I have several cats that I'd like to keep out of my garden. I was planning to use twine as grids. Does anyone have any advice or tips to share?

Sandy
nidiyao
nidiyao

Female Posts : 56

Back to top Go down

Keeping cats out of the SFG Empty Re: Keeping cats out of the SFG

Post  Jiro 3/31/2010, 2:55 pm

This is my chief concern, as well. My neighborhood is plagued by stray cats.

I absolutely hate the things as they soil our flower beds, pee all over the place, kill native birds, and have done hundreds of dollars of damage to our front porch furniture. They even relieved themselves on our front porch during the blizzards.

What I have done is build a fence out of plastic hardware cloth similar to the one pictured by Dan here ( https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/general-sfg-talk-f5/keeping-wildlife-out-of-the-garden-t780.htm#6182 ). Instead of Dan's hinged doors, I staple-gunned my hardware cloth to the exterior posts and tie each side to the adjacent with heavy wire, allowing me to roll open a side when I need to work in the bed and lock it back tight when finished.

Additionally, I encircle the ground around the bed with 6" strips of metal hardware cloth (cats loathe the texture). Additionally, I make my own pepper spray and spray the surrounding area to further discourage the foul creatures.

The solution is ugly, but seems to be effective.
Jiro
Jiro

Back to top Go down

Post  bpbdrummer 3/31/2010, 3:30 pm

a pitbull will do the trick... lol

I kid, I kid... we have two pits and they are great with out cats.
you can get those green metal fence posts Keeping cats out of the SFG KH_PG_FN_wire_faster_02
and some chicken wire and build a fence around your garden
bpbdrummer

Male Posts : 88

http://bipolarbarbierocks.com

Back to top Go down

Post  timwardell 3/31/2010, 11:10 pm

take plastic forks and stick them in the beds handles first - leaving the tines just above the surface - looks odd, yes, but annoys cats and keeps them away
timwardell
timwardell

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 778

http://www.timwardell.com/gardening/

Back to top Go down

Post  choksaw 3/31/2010, 11:22 pm

Old dried Holly leaves follows the same route that Tims does but strong winds will blow them away
choksaw
choksaw

Male Posts : 459

Back to top Go down

Post  nidiyao 4/1/2010, 7:07 am

Thanks for all the great ideas my friends. I plan to put soil in at least 2 beds today and really want to keep the cats out from the start. I think I will try laying poultry netting on top until I get a "cage" built. That should discourage their walking around on the beds. Most of my plants will be started from seed, and I have a little weather window here to mess around. I have had to lay some poultry wire over my cold frame to keep the little darlings out! It's nice and warm in there, don't you know?

As soon as hubby wakes up I'll inform him that I need assistance with the cage construction, I wonder if he'll wake up sooner if I stomp around a bit???

Sandy
nidiyao
nidiyao

Female Posts : 56

Back to top Go down

Post  aliciazim 6/8/2010, 9:17 am

Has anyone tried lemon and/or orange or grapefruit peels? I will try using the forks, but I know my cats detest orange peels, so I figure any citrus will do? Also, I'm not sure the neighbor's cat is the only problem. I think that maybe the birds may be getting at some of my tomato plants. It's weird because cats don't like that prickly texture, and my tomato plants have that texture on the stems. That's why I think it's a combination of birds and the neighbor's cat eating my tomato plant leaves.

My husband also wanted me to ask if I should spray lemon juice around the plants. But won't that hurt the plants?

Someone in a gardening store said something about using moth balls to ward away practically any critter, but I heard they are toxic. Is that true? Keeping cats out of the SFG Confused
aliciazim

Back to top Go down

Post  Nurse Grams 6/8/2010, 10:05 am

When I was a kid, we always had a HUGE garden (hehhe..seemed like 15 acres to us kids who had to weed, hoe, & pick) and lived out in the country. The deer and raccoons ALWAYS found the sweet corn. Once they did, Dad would start laying out the moth balls around the corn. No more late night invaders.

I have no idea if it would work on cats or not. However, the previous owners of our house had two birdhouses on the backyard fence. One had a bird-family this spring, and one got the paper-wasps building a nest in it. I tossed a mothball into the wasp one and they haven't come back.
Nurse Grams
Nurse Grams

Female Posts : 37

Back to top Go down

Post  nancy 6/8/2010, 10:43 am

I've also used moth balls successfully. Keeping cats out of the SFG Icon_smile
nancy
nancy

Female Posts : 595

Back to top Go down

Post  aliciazim 6/8/2010, 11:08 am

Just the fact that a moth ball kicked out some bees makes me SO happy! I hate bees. I will buy some moth balls and see what happens. Keeping cats out of the SFG Star3
aliciazim

Back to top Go down

Post  herbarium 6/8/2010, 11:24 am

I have found that just having a grid helps discourage cats from digging in the garden. I have a cat and don't want to cause it harm. I use the wood lath for my grid and it gets in the cat's way.
Although moth balls are said to repel cats I would not use them around edibles.
The forks are a great idea!
It is true that cats do not like citrus so citrus peels are a good idea but will need to be replaced as they lose their scent.
Bird netting or chicken wire can work and then when the plants are up there isn't much room to dig so that discourages them.
I doubt if cats are eating tomato plants because they are toxic at least to mammals. Birds don't seem to have a problem with them. They can eat rhubarb leaves also.
herbarium

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 150

http://gardeninspire.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Little Thumb 6/8/2010, 11:29 am

aliciazim wrote:Just the fact that a moth ball kicked out some bees makes me SO happy! I hate bees. I will buy some moth balls and see what happens. Keeping cats out of the SFG Star3

You don't want to keep the bees away all the time, they help pollinate the plants. Just a thought.
Little Thumb

Female Posts : 126

Back to top Go down

Post  nancy 6/8/2010, 11:44 am

Yep - they are responsible for 1 out of every 3 bites of food we take. We need them!
nancy
nancy

Female Posts : 595

Back to top Go down

Post  aliciazim 6/8/2010, 2:00 pm

If the bees would just understand peaceful coexistence, then maybe I wouldn't mind. I mean, why do they need stingers? Why must they make their nests on my stuff? There are plenty of trees they can use. I feel like if there were fewer bees, some other type of flying insect would eventually pick up their slack. I guarantee you that at least once this year, during harvesting, I will see a bee on something that I need to be near or pick, and I will declare, "I am NOT picking anything!" and subsequently force my husband to do the harvesting. Keeping cats out of the SFG Icon_redface
aliciazim

Back to top Go down

Post  herbarium 6/8/2010, 2:19 pm

There are bees and then there are other insects people call bees. Many insects pollinate and some eat insect pests also. That does not make them desirable in all situations but if we know the differences that helps with controlling them.
For more information and control methods.
herbarium

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  PeggyC 6/8/2010, 3:13 pm

I have a dog that likes to dig in my nice fluffy Mel's Mix, and a cat that likes to relieve herself in it. So, before I planted anything, I laid chicken wire over the top of the bed, used a big stapler to hold it in place. On top of that, I put my grid. Then to plant transplants, I just cut a slit or X in the chicken wire, planted, and smushed the chicken wire back around the stem. Seeds I just poked into the dirt through the wire holes, and as the seedlings come up, I'm helping them get those first leaves above the wire. Here's what it looks like.

Keeping cats out of the SFG 31392_1489993413086_1331512905_1306184_2339201_n

As a result, my dog has gone back to digging holes in the yard and the cat likes to walk on the nice "catwalks" created by the grid, but so far, I haven't caught her straddling the grid to do her business.
PeggyC
PeggyC

Female Posts : 126

http://www.craftycrofts.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Keeping cats out of the SFG Empty Regarding mothballs -- please don't use!!!

Post  junequilt 6/8/2010, 4:28 pm

Mothballs are horrible for you and the environment. Please see this article: http://www.gardensalive.com/article.asp?ai=956
junequilt
junequilt

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 6/8/2010, 4:37 pm

My son stapled a cheap white wire fence around the outside of his box and bent the wires out.

Keeping cats out of the SFG Catpro12
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  junequilt 6/8/2010, 5:44 pm

You can also just lay a piece of regular old wire fencing over the bed and leave it there for the entire season. Cats really hate walking on wire.

Of course, that doesn't stop them from spraying on things. And DH's favorite among our cats -- the one he refers to as his "son" -- is the one that sprays on everything. He's neutered, but he still does it, the little turkey! Yesterday I arrived home, having been out of town for about 10 days, and was examining my tomatoes for signs of disease (found none, yes!!!), and darned if James T. didn't back up on one of them and you know what. Maybe he needs kitty prozac? Keeping cats out of the SFG 601593
junequilt
junequilt

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 6/8/2010, 9:22 pm

junequilt wrote:He's neutered, but he still does it, the little turkey! Yesterday I arrived home, having been out of town for about 10 days, and was examining my tomatoes for signs of disease (found none, yes!!!), and darned if James T. didn't back up on one of them and you know what. Maybe he needs kitty prozac? Keeping cats out of the SFG 601593

You named him after Shatner? I mean.... just sayin'. Wink (And I am not one to talk... our cats are named after the Addams family.)
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Mirjam 6/9/2010, 4:10 am

When I first built the boxes and filled them with mix, the cats were also under the impression that I built them a huge box to dig and pee in. But as soon as I had t he grids on, it was over. a square foot is not enough space for an average cat Smile
They do walk across the boxes over the grids, but that's all they do now.

But if you're using string for grids, I don't know if that would help as much.
You could however put used coffee grounds on top of your soil, cats don't like the feel of it on their paws, and they're not fond of the smell either. And the coffee will just decompose over time, so it won't spoil your mix.
Mirjam
Mirjam

Female Posts : 151

http://mirjamroos.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee 6/9/2010, 7:04 am

Coffee grounds are GREAT for your SFG -- it adds lots of nitrogen as it decomposes.

So if the cats hate it, too -- bonus!
LaFee

Female Posts : 1023

Back to top Go down

Post  plb 6/9/2010, 7:47 am

I spent quite some time last weekend digging out cat turds from some empty squares in my SFG. Horrible... Both of my own cats actually come in to do their business in their litter box, instead of going out; I wish all cats were like that...
plb

Back to top Go down

Post  herbarium 6/9/2010, 9:00 am

So, our cats could spray to prevent disease on tomatoes? Keeping cats out of the SFG Icon_lol
junequilt wrote: Yesterday I arrived home, having been out of town for about 10 days, and was examining my tomatoes for signs of disease (found none, yes!!!), and darned if James T. didn't back up on one of them and you know what.
herbarium

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Odd Duck 6/9/2010, 10:00 am

aliciazim wrote:If the bees would just understand peaceful coexistence, then maybe I wouldn't mind. I mean, why do they need stingers? Why must they make their nests on my stuff? There are plenty of trees they can use. I feel like if there were fewer bees, some other type of flying insect would eventually pick up their slack. I guarantee you that at least once this year, during harvesting, I will see a bee on something that I need to be near or pick, and I will declare, "I am NOT picking anything!" and subsequently force my husband to do the harvesting. Keeping cats out of the SFG Icon_redface

A beekeeper once told me that the honeybees in your garden are just "grocery shopping" and are very unlikely to sting you unless you hurt them. Just gently wave them away. Now, if you actually have some hornets or something, that's different. But most insects will retreat rather than fight you for a zucchini. Keeping cats out of the SFG Icon_biggrin
Odd Duck

Female Posts : 327

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next