Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Mini Greenhouse/ Shelf unit?  Ever used this? Toplef10Mini Greenhouse/ Shelf unit?  Ever used this? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Mini Greenhouse/ Shelf unit?  Ever used this? I22gcj10Mini Greenhouse/ Shelf unit?  Ever used this? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Mini Greenhouse/ Shelf unit?  Ever used this? Toplef10Mini Greenhouse/ Shelf unit?  Ever used this? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Mini Greenhouse/ Shelf unit?  Ever used this? I22gcj10Mini Greenhouse/ Shelf unit?  Ever used this? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 12:08 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 Yesterday at 9:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:46 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Yesterday at 8:36 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Yesterday at 8:30 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson Yesterday at 5:34 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by sanderson Yesterday at 5:31 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 11:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 6:34 am

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson 5/10/2024, 6:06 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 4:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/8/2024, 12:26 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 8:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 8:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 11:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 4:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 8:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/2/2024, 12:24 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 5:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 5:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 4:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 7:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 9:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 11:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 4:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 12:16 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 2:36 pm

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 9:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Mini Greenhouse/ Shelf unit? Ever used this?

+5
Blackrose
middlemamma
Furbalsmom
Patty from Yorktown
lisaphoto
9 posters

Go down

Mini Greenhouse/ Shelf unit?  Ever used this? Empty Mini Greenhouse/ Shelf unit? Ever used this?

Post  lisaphoto 3/11/2011, 6:44 pm

I just bought a mini greenhouse from Big Lots that looks similar to this photo, but also includes two solar powered LED spotlights
Mini Greenhouse/ Shelf unit?  Ever used this? Shelf10

Has anyone ever used something like this before?
Did it work, or just a waste of money?
How much sooner can I use it than regular set out dates?
For example, I have a bunch of lettuce and other cool weather crops that I have started, but they are getting leggy in my kitchen window. Could I put these out in this and them be protected. My Last frost date is around May 1st.
Would it be better to set this over the ground, or on my deck?
Will the LED lights help keep it warm overnight, or do you think they are just for decoration?

Any help would be appreciated. I don't want to waste $30, so I am waiting to hear opionions before I set it up.
lisaphoto
lisaphoto

Female Posts : 361

http://www.MomentsToRememberPhotography.com

Back to top Go down

Mini Greenhouse/ Shelf unit?  Ever used this? Empty Re: Mini Greenhouse/ Shelf unit? Ever used this?

Post  lisaphoto 3/11/2011, 6:47 pm

Also, if it's not good outdoors yet, would it be stupid to use it indoors in front of a large south facing window?
lisaphoto
lisaphoto

Back to top Go down

Mini Greenhouse/ Shelf unit?  Ever used this? Empty Re: Mini Greenhouse/ Shelf unit? Ever used this?

Post  Patty from Yorktown 3/11/2011, 6:52 pm

Hi,
My gardening neighbor has a mini green house similar to yours. She likes it. She uses to harden off plants. I think that LED lights do not produce much if any heat, so they will not help with a cold night. You could use a different light or just take plants inside on the few nights that are going to cause problems. I bet the mini green house will help your natural light situation. Good luck. I hope you enjoy your new purchase. I looked at those as well.

Patty in Yorktown
Patty from Yorktown
Patty from Yorktown

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 3/11/2011, 6:59 pm

Great buy, just be careful if you have it outside that you secure it to the ground or deck to prevent the wind taking it away or toppling it over. That plastic cover easily turns into a sail.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 3/11/2011, 7:05 pm

I have the exact same thing in my kitchen. I have lights hanging for the top 2 shelves and I took a 99 cent Mylar blanket (found in camping section of Wal-Mart) and taped it to the back and sides. It reflects the light from my fluorescents (cant afford LED's yet). It sits in front of a east facing window, but I face it in with the back to the window most days here because its so cloudy out. But on a sunny day the wheels make it so easy to just flip around and let the sun in, and that Mylar really reflects all the light all over on the plants.

I have had less leggy seedlings doing it this way and I have been very happy with it. I don't have mine outside because I live on prairie land and it is always breezy and it just wouldn't survive it. I had it on my enclosed patio, with a heat lamp but in my winter it was just burning up electricity and not staying in the 60's where I needed it to be...so I brought it inside.

Jen
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Post  Blackrose 3/11/2011, 7:09 pm

middlemamma wrote:I have the exact same thing in my kitchen. I have lights hanging for the top 2 shelves and I took a 99 cent Mylar blanket (found in camping section of Wal-Mart) and taped it to the back and sides. It reflects the light from my fluorescents (cant afford LED's yet).

Brilliant!!!! That is an amazing idea!

Off to WM I go.....

Mini Greenhouse/ Shelf unit?  Ever used this? 53366
Blackrose
Blackrose

Female Posts : 710

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 3/11/2011, 7:18 pm

lisaphoto wrote:I just bought a mini greenhouse from Big Lots that looks similar to this photo, but also includes two solar powered LED spotlights
Mini Greenhouse/ Shelf unit?  Ever used this? Shelf10

Has anyone ever used something like this before?
Did it work, or just a waste of money?
How much sooner can I use it than regular set out dates?
For example, I have a bunch of lettuce and other cool weather crops that I have started, but they are getting leggy in my kitchen window. Could I put these out in this and them be protected. My Last frost date is around May 1st.
Would it be better to set this over the ground, or on my deck?
Will the LED lights help keep it warm overnight, or do you think they are just for decoration?

Any help would be appreciated. I don't want to waste $30, so I am waiting to hear opionions before I set it up.
If you could post information for the actual product it would help me to develop an answer that isn't pure speculation. How much did the whole thing sell for? Something like this would be ideal for me for starting seeds indoors.
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 3/11/2011, 7:44 pm

I got mine for $30 on clearance last season...

It's not a flimsy little thing but it isn't really sturdy either. Kinda middle of the road.

The plastic covering fits nice and tight in mine, holds heat when I use the heat lamps pretty well. I keep my house about 65 in the winter and if I use the lamps for a while in the morning I can keep it 78 ish inside this thing for a few hours at least.

Hmmm....what other info would help camp? It's about 2 feet wide, 18 inches deep and 5 1/2 feet tallish...
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 3/11/2011, 7:46 pm

The maker and model number is what I am looking for,,, Thanks Jennie! Very Happy
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  lisaphoto 3/11/2011, 7:51 pm

The picture is from Lowes http://www.lowes.com/pd_217498-58329-LS-GH001_0__?productId=3305988&Ntt=greenhouse&Ns=p_product_price|0&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNs%3Dp_product_price|0%26Ntt%3Dgreenhouse

But the one I bought is from Big Lots (they don't have it on their site), and is somewhat different. I'll look at it in a bit and get more details.
lisaphoto
lisaphoto

Back to top Go down

Post  lisaphoto 3/11/2011, 8:15 pm

Okay, here are the details:

Backyard Accents Three-tier Greenhouse with Solar Spotlights
-26.5 in W x 11.2 in D x 48.6 in H
-Promotes plant growth beginning early spring and extending into the colder months
- Durable steel frame construction with easy access transparent cover
- Two bright white LED garden spotlights included
- Solar powered spotlights charge in the sun and illuminate at night
- Each light uses one Ni-CD rechargeable battery (included)
- Easy to assemble

Distributed by Big Lots stores (couldn't find it online)
Item # A26B2178CNLHC

While trying to find this item online, I looked through my weekly ad for Big Lots, and saw they have Cedar Raised 4x4 beds for $30! I may have to go check it out!
lisaphoto
lisaphoto

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 3/11/2011, 8:34 pm

Well, I couldn't find any online reviews but it sounds sturdy enough. I would be wary of having it outdoors due to winds and rust potential and I would probably not want to move it if it was heavily loaded. Do the wheels have a locking mechanism?
Looks like a good deal! I am not sure what the LED spots are for Mini Greenhouse/ Shelf unit?  Ever used this? 601593 .
I saw a plastic model without wheels and lights for $20 @ Ocean State Job Lot. Mini Greenhouse/ Shelf unit?  Ever used this? 27650
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  Aub 3/11/2011, 9:37 pm

I got one very similar to that at Farm & Fleet for $25. I use fluorescent lights on the first two shelves. It sits in the corner of my dining room. I also have a heating pad in there to germinate my seeds on.
Aub
Aub

Female Posts : 283

Back to top Go down

Post  lisaphoto 3/11/2011, 10:55 pm

I don't think this one has wheels. I think I am going to try it inside, near the window, and see if it helps anything. Plus I am running out of room on my window sill. I think the LED lights are just so it looks nice in the dark ???
lisaphoto
lisaphoto

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 3/12/2011, 3:52 am

I have one like this that I use inside in front of a south picture window. It is near a heat vent so it gets warmer inside than the room does so at night I can close it up and not worry when the thermostat is turned down. I love it in the winter for my flowers. I get to see them grow! I start them in my seed germination shelf then move to the little green house.

I bought another one this winter so I don't have to move it back and forth outside for hardening off. I got tired of that lol... I use it to harden off fastened to the railing on my deck so it doesn't blow over. If the shelves are full it isn't to bad but a big wind WILL knock it over!
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Post  PeggyC 3/12/2011, 5:30 am

I just bought one like that for $20 from a regional store called Menards a couple weeks ago. I'm very excited to try it. I'm going to use it indoors at first (in 2 weeks but who is counting?), and then move it outside eventually for the hardening off process. I wish we had a Big Lots around here!!!! I miss Big Lots! Mine didn't come with anything but shelves and plastic cover.
PeggyC
PeggyC

Female Posts : 126

http://www.craftycrofts.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down