Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Seed starting station.. - Page 5 Toplef10Seed starting station.. - Page 5 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Seed starting station.. - Page 5 I22gcj10Seed starting station.. - Page 5 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Seed starting station.. - Page 5 Toplef10Seed starting station.. - Page 5 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Seed starting station.. - Page 5 I22gcj10Seed starting station.. - Page 5 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Seed starting station..

+40
jimmy cee
MrBooker
Scorpio Rising
CitizenKate
slimbolen99
landarch
martha
sanderson
jpatti
Windsor.Parker
n2o2diver
georgiahomegarden
jamesindetroit
Noie
Josh
EatYourVeggies
quiltbea
tomperrin
sceleste54
llama momma
Goosegirl
yolos
plantoid
staf74
RoOsTeR
boffer
Odd Duck
elliephant
Furbalsmom
madnicmom
NHGardener
middlemamma
Megan
Lavender Debs
ashort
camprn
cautery
kimbertangleknot
miinva
BackyardBirdGardner
44 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Seed starting station.. - Page 5 Empty Re: Seed starting station..

Post  slimbolen99 3/25/2015, 1:30 pm

Yolos: Glad to hear it's working out for you!
I leave a small gap -- maybe an inch or so...not much. I'll have to go down and measure. The reflectors help dissipate some of the excess vertical light back down, so I don't really experience much drop-off of growth between the lights.
slimbolen99
slimbolen99

Back to top Go down

Seed starting station.. - Page 5 Empty New grow light stand

Post  CitizenKate 2/21/2016, 12:22 pm

I decided my old 2-tube grow light stand was not providing quite as much light for my seedlings as they seemed to want, so this year I decided to make a new one that holds 4 tubes on each level.  This design is derived from this design I found online.

I needed a modified version to raise it up a little higher, to make it fit in our kitchen in the space where our dog eats.  Hardly anything got displaced by it.  The dog now has a roof over his head when he eats.  And the bonus - it will easily fit at least one more light fixture on each level, so this thing should be able to deliver a TON of light.

Seed starting station.. - Page 5 Grow-l10
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate 2/21/2016, 12:44 pm

I have the plans for this in a PDF that I'm willing to share.  Is there a way to post it here?
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 2/21/2016, 2:41 pm

Nice, Kate!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 2/21/2016, 2:46 pm

Kate - if you can scan the plans in as a jpg file, you can then upload it the same way you upload pictures.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate 2/21/2016, 11:05 pm

I tried converting it to images, but it loses a lot of clarity when I do that, and then the image hosting service reduces it even further.   Not very readable after all that.  Oh well.

I may just see if I can find somewhere to host it and post a link.
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/22/2016, 2:41 am

Nice setup.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21546

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Seed starting station.. - Page 5 Empty Grow light stand for less than $10.00

Post  MrBooker 1/22/2017, 1:26 pm

After researching threads on this forum and the internet, on grow light stands, I figured they couldn't be that hard to build. I bought the grow light for $30 and built the stand for less than $10 and it only took one beer to finish it..   What a Face    Glug, glug.

Also... I did not glue anything together. When I'm done with it, pull it apart and store it OR maybe grow greens during the winter

Seed starting station.. - Page 5 Plant_10
MrBooker
MrBooker

Male Posts : 736

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 1/22/2017, 2:36 pm

Could I suggest that you add 2 more lights for a total of three ? You won't regret it and it will be simple to adjust with tee's. Flood the area with light and you will be greatly rewarded.

jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  MrBooker 1/22/2017, 2:53 pm

jimmy cee wrote:Could I suggest that you add 2 more lights for a total of three ? You won't regret it and it will be simple to adjust with tee's. Flood the area with light and you will be greatly rewarded.

I bought some of those light fixtures and bulbs yesterday and they didnt work. Things have a tendency not to work for me. The fixture I bought is led and guaranteed to work and I was amazed when it actually DID work. It is a bright white and has 3200 lumens. Thanks for the advice.
MrBooker
MrBooker

Back to top Go down

Post  runsamok 1/22/2017, 3:06 pm

That looks really nice and adjustable with the chain. Can you post the parts that you used to make it?
runsamok
runsamok

Female Posts : 15

Back to top Go down

Post  MrBooker 1/22/2017, 3:21 pm

runsamok wrote:That looks really nice and adjustable with the chain. Can you post the parts that you used to make it?
Parts: It took one 10 ft section  and half of another, 3/4 inch pvc pipe. Two 3/4 inch elbows and two 3/4 inch "T" joints and two 1/4 inch "J" bolts.  The chain and hooks came with the light fixture.  My light fixture is only 36 inches long.  If your interested in all the measurements, I can give them to you.
MrBooker
MrBooker

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 1/22/2017, 4:24 pm

Nice!  I went to get some starter mix etc. and my Walmart doesn't have that thing going yesterday....sign:  COOL YOUR JETS,  lol!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 1/22/2017, 6:55 pm

MrBooker wrote:
jimmy cee wrote:Could I suggest that you add 2 more lights for a total of three ? You won't regret it and it will be simple to adjust with tee's. Flood the area with light and you will be greatly rewarded.
 I bought some of those light fixtures and bulbs yesterday and they didnt work. Things have a tendency not to work for me. The fixture I bought is led and guaranteed to work and I was amazed when it actually DID work. It is a bright white and has 3200 lumens. Thanks for the advice.
MrBooker - If you're new to this sort of light fixture there's definitely a trick to seating the bulbs properly, and they won't work if you don't. I couldn't believe none of my fixtures worked when I got them -- and then managed to get all four bulbs working after trying several more times. (And even then, one shifted a month later and I had to re-seat it again.) The third double-bulb fixture I got still took me more than one try, even after my experience with the first two. If you got the lights and bulbs new, and haven't returned them yet, it might be worth giving them another go.
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  MrBooker 1/22/2017, 7:26 pm

BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:
MrBooker wrote:
MrBooker - If you're new to this sort of light fixture there's definitely a trick to seating the bulbs properly, and they won't work if you don't. I couldn't believe none of my fixtures worked when I got them -- and then managed to get all four bulbs working after trying several more times. (And even then, one shifted a month later and I had to re-seat it again.) The third double-bulb fixture I got still took me more than one try, even after my experience with the first two. If you got the lights and bulbs new, and haven't returned them yet, it might be worth giving them another go.
Well, how do I seat the bulbs properly? You say, "I't might worth trying".  WHAT might be worth trying?
MrBooker
MrBooker

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 1/22/2017, 7:38 pm

Sorry! Mine slide in and then need to be gently twisted -- how much is the trick. Not enough and they don't make contact properly, too far and they are again past the correct point. It might be worth taking the bulbs out and putting them back in again, and testing, with different degrees of turning each time. I realize I am making an assumption that all T8 fixtures work like this (with bulbs that to be turned slightly after going in)-- would others please chime in if I'm wrong about that?
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 1/22/2017, 8:00 pm

BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:Sorry! Mine slide in and then need to be gently twisted -- how much is the trick. Not enough and they don't make contact properly, too far and they are again past the correct point. It might be worth taking the bulbs out and putting them back in again, and testing, with different degrees of turning each time. I realize I am making an assumption that all T8 fixtures work like this (with bulbs that to be turned slightly after going in)-- would others please chime in if I'm wrong about that?
I agree.  That is how mine also work.  Just a slight twist after they are put in.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 1/22/2017, 8:15 pm

Here's a video showing how to put a bulb in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oh3a_p7C104
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 1/22/2017, 10:03 pm

BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:Sorry! Mine slide in and then need to be gently twisted -- how much is the trick. Not enough and they don't make contact properly, too far and they are again past the correct point. It might be worth taking the bulbs out and putting them back in again, and testing, with different degrees of turning each time. I realize I am making an assumption that all T8 fixtures work like this (with bulbs that to be turned slightly after going in)-- would others please chime in if I'm wrong about that?
Place a mark on the bulbs, a straight line at the very edge of one prong far enough out on the bulb to be able to see it after turned. When seated turn both sides carefully 90 degrees. Sensitive fingers can feel the prongs slipping into the socket. When you're finished that mark will be 90 degrees from where you inserted bulbs. Always use two hands to do this.one at each end.
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/23/2017, 5:55 am

Mr. Booker,  Nice looking stand.  It's giving me ideas on how to reconfigure mine for the third and last time.  I will be using the existing 1/2" PVC and two 4-foot T8 lights with hoods per each 4 ft section.  Yes, I have a lot of starts for summer, including the flowers. Smile Thanks for posting the photo.

This is what I had 2 winters ago.  I guess I didn't take any photos last winter. I'll update in 3 weeks or so with the new design. Seed starting station.. - Page 5 Seedli12

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  MrBooker 1/23/2017, 6:41 am

Thanks for all of the replies. I think maybe the fixture I bought was a "bring back" since it was the last one on the shelf at HD. I read the instructions on inserting the bulbs and it seemed simple enough. I went exactly according to instructions and when I turned the light on it was almost like a flash from a camera from only one bulb.

I removed both bulbs and re-inserted them again. Same thing over and over. Just an instant flash from one bulb. I rotated each bulb slightly back and forth as easily as I could. Same thing, FLASH.

I have changed a lot of fluorescent bulbs in my time without a problem. I'm still leaning toward a bad fixture. I WILL try again this week. While we're on the subject, can someone please tell me what type of bulbs you suggest?  I know I should use T8. Thanks. MrBooker.
MrBooker
MrBooker

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 1/23/2017, 8:54 am

MrBooker wrote:Thanks for all of the replies. I think maybe the fixture I bought was a "bring back" since it was the last one on the shelf at HD. I read the instructions on inserting the bulbs and it seemed simple enough. I went exactly according to instructions and when I turned the light on it was almost like a flash from a camera from only one bulb.

I removed both bulbs and re-inserted them again. Same thing over and over. Just an instant flash from one bulb. I rotated each bulb slightly back and forth as easily as I could. Same thing, FLASH.

I have changed a lot of fluorescent bulbs in my time without a problem. I'm still leaning toward a bad fixture. I WILL try again this week. While we're on the subject, can someone please tell me what type of bulbs you suggest?  I know I should use T8. Thanks. MrBooker.
If you got some light out, and have changed many bulbs in your time, then my advice isn't as applicable. Your initial description sounded just like my initial experience - bought them and they didn't work - but I was coming from never having done it before. (Though I really do feel like my fixtures weren't exact quarter-turn aligned for the contacts... and/but that could be a quality issue with the less expensive fixtures I got.)

This site mentions a bad ballast can cause a flash: http://www.bestfish.com/articles/troublefluorescent.php
With the knowledge that you got some light out, and with implosions mentioned on that site pale , I'm retracting my suggestion of trying it again. 

When I bought bulbs I think I just clicked the 'grow' box on the order form, so I don't have the knowledge to suggest a particular type. But I think this thread gives some good information and discussion on bulb types:
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t17170-light-bulb-type
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Back to top Go down

Post  Ginger Blue 2/2/2017, 5:36 am

Great thread, with lots of useful info!

I really like the simplicity (and low cost) of Mr. Booker's light set up; I'd like to duplicate it, but I also need shelves and don't have much space to work with.

Has anyone tried these Stack-N-Grow stations from Gardener's Supply? Do do you think they provide sufficient lighting?

http://www.gardeners.com/how-to/stack-n-grow-video/8709.html

Also, this may seem silly, but I'm concerned about the use of full spectrum light indoors - specifically if it causes premature or uneven fading in paint, carpet, curtains, etc, in living areas. Has anyone had a problem with this? I thought of draping the growing station with mylar while the lights are on, but don't know if this might suffocate or overheat the seedlings.

Thoughts?
Ginger Blue
Ginger Blue

Female Posts : 281

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/3/2017, 4:25 am

GB, It looks like the height of the lights can be adjusted, so they should be fine.

Good question on the lighting and fading of materials. They are in use but a few weeks a few hours each day so I would think the fading would be minimal if any. If you have any concern of fading, cover the material you want to protect instead of covering the unit. ??

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 2/5/2017, 5:58 pm

Here's my seed starting setup. I got the shelf on Craigslist for less than half new. I splurged on the lights, which are 4ft, whereas the shelves are 3ft. The plants at the front and back edges tend to get a little leggy, so I rotate. I mostly use discarded fridge drawers that I got off curbs as plant trays. I love the 4-pack cell pots for starting lettuce, and the 9-cell ones for beets, but the ones I have are very flimsy. My onion/leek seedlings are in genuine 128-cell-trays that I bought new - after making sure they'd fit with the trays/dome lids I got off a curb. (Twice a year people put things out for bulk pickup, and I - and many others in town - go 'shopping'. It's also known as Riff Raff week. Others are usually looking for scrap metal and salvageable furniture. I'm looking for discarded but usable planters, pots, stakes, fencing and other garden stuff!) Later in the year the oscillating fan will reappear, so that the teenage seedlings can get exercise. (If you're thinking "Wait, how do you use..." I don't. It's the guest bathroom; there's a shower/tub in the master bath, too.)
Seed starting station.. - Page 5 Img_8311

Here's a closeup of the rope lighting I use in lieu of a heating mat.
Seed starting station.. - Page 5 Img_8312

A heating mat (without thermostat) costs about the same as a rope light, but I already had gotten the ropelight free somewhere (ok, yes, it was another curb-rescue.) I've been told that the purple glow seeping under the bathroom door makes things look very illicit. There is cardboard so the metal shelf doesn't just conduct all the heat away. It seems to get things to about 85*F, and did a good job of sprouting my tomatoes, etc., and curing my sweet potatoes. But without a thermostat I have to keep an eye on things with an extra meat thermometer (where do you think I got that from?)
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next