Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Seed Starting FAQ  Toplef10Seed Starting FAQ  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Seed Starting FAQ  I22gcj10Seed Starting FAQ  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Seed Starting FAQ  Toplef10Seed Starting FAQ  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Seed Starting FAQ  I22gcj10Seed Starting FAQ  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by ladyDenna Today at 4:21 am

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Yesterday at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Seed Starting FAQ

+7
littlesapphire
Red-Leg
Noie
Furbalsmom
moswell
EatYourVeggies
camprn
11 posters

Go down

Seed Starting FAQ  Empty Seed Starting FAQ

Post  camprn 1/30/2012, 5:14 pm

Answer to common questions about starting seeds from Gardener's Supply <~~~Click

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Seed Starting FAQ  WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Seed Starting FAQ  Empty Re: Seed Starting FAQ

Post  EatYourVeggies 1/30/2012, 7:30 pm

Now who would have ever thought, Camprn would have a handy link and share it with the masses? Razz Thanks much...great information.
EatYourVeggies
EatYourVeggies

Male Posts : 155

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 1/30/2012, 7:35 pm

Embarassed It's good, eh? Wink

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Seed Starting FAQ  WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  moswell 1/30/2012, 7:47 pm

Oh this is awesome, thanks. Smile
moswell
moswell

Female Posts : 366

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 1/30/2012, 9:46 pm

Great Link, Seed Starting FAQ  109486 Camprn.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  Noie 1/30/2012, 11:29 pm

That was really helpful. Thanks!

And if you happen to run across a Growing Seeds for Dummies book...let me know. Rolling Eyes
Noie
Noie

Female Posts : 63

Back to top Go down

Post  Red-Leg 1/31/2012, 1:59 pm

Nice article. I have a question that's not covered in that FAQ link. This will be my first year indoor seeding and I have the trays, lights, timer, fan, and heat mat all ready to go. My intention is to tie both lights, the fan, and heating mat into the timer so the plants have a true rest when the lights are not on. However, I've heard differing opinions regarding whether to keep the heat going once the seeds have germinated. What say ye?

Thanks!
Darren
Red-Leg
Red-Leg

Back to top Go down

Post  littlesapphire 1/31/2012, 4:44 pm

Last year, I didn't know that some people say you shouldn't keep the heat mat on, so I left it on 24/7 (but the lights got turned off at night). I was only growing tomatoes and peppers, but they did remarkably well. They were kind of leggy toward the end there, but not too badly. I will say, though, that my lettuce did absolutely terribly with the heating mat. Have you ever seen leggy lettuce? It literally can't stand up anymore. So I had to give up hope for them.

This year, I'm only going to use the heating mat for germination and compare it to how the plants did last year.
littlesapphire
littlesapphire

Female Posts : 826

http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Red-Leg 1/31/2012, 6:20 pm

I guess that makes perfect sense for lettuce. I believe they need heat to germinate but look for cooler soil once their heads poke out.

I'm thinking I'll discontinue heat once the seeds germinate.
Red-Leg
Red-Leg

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 2/1/2012, 7:12 am

Here is another article about starting seeds, including a tutorial on building a seed starting workstation...
From High Mowing seeds Very Happy

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  jpatti 2/1/2012, 3:37 pm

I keep my seed trays on the heat mat 24/7... until they've sprouted.

Once they've sprouted, they go under the lights for 16 hours on a time, no heat mat.

My house is pretty cold in the winter, varies from about 52-62 or so. I figure it's a pre-hardening off to get them off the heat mat as soon as possible.

Plus I need the heat mat for more seed starting. Mine only holds 2 trays, which means I need the space for the next thing coming along.
jpatti
jpatti

Female Posts : 117

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 2/1/2012, 6:21 pm

This will my first time starting seedds inside so I have been reading back yet still have a question or two about heat mats. I looked at Johnny's catalog and noticed on that will fit my shelf nicely. A little costly but I look at it a long term investment.

Do you need a temp gauge or do they stay at constant temp? And leave it on until all seeds are sprouted?

Thanks
floyd1440
floyd1440

Male Posts : 815

Back to top Go down

Post  jpatti 2/2/2012, 7:58 am

It's probably the same heat mat sold by all the seed companies; I've only ever seen one except in catalogs for farmers, where they have huge choices (fantasies of having a 20 foot hoop house setup...)

It stays on all the time. What I do is stick a flat on it, fill it about 1/4 with warm water, then put in my six packs with seeds, and a cover. Mine holds two trays.

It seems to stay about 70-80 degrees in my house, which is typically warmed to 55-65 or so.

If here is only one tray on the seed mat, it collects cats. Wink

I do NOT use it after the seeds have sprouted. I take the top off and stick the six packs under a grow light in another flat. I only use it for starting seeds.
jpatti
jpatti

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 2/2/2012, 11:27 am

I'm another that uses my heat mat only for germination. Once they sprout they go in the furnace room under the lights where the temps are around 62* all the time. Lights are on 16 hrs a day 2-3" above their heads. They seem to thrive just fine.

Seed Starting FAQ  03-30-10

above: cabbages in their 2" soil blocks.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 2/2/2012, 1:09 pm

jpatti, I'm glad you posted about your house temps. I made dinner rolls from scratch on Sunday and had to laugh at the part of the instructions that said to place the shaped rolls "in a warm place to rise for about an hour until nearly double in size". No such place in my house. I had to resort to using the oven. So from your experience, as long as I cough up the bucks for a heat mat I should still be able to start my own seeds. Good to know.

If I may presume, I'm thinking Floyd was asking if you keep the heat mat on until every single seed has sprouted? Or do you remove from the heat lamp and put under lights as soon as the very first sprout appears? The link camp posted above says the greenhouse cover comes off as soon as that very first seedling emerges, for instance. I know if the tray pack contains all the same seed it should be a moot point, as they all ought to pop up pretty at pretty much the same time, but it's still a fair question for newbies like me.

An additional question: Gardener's Supply says the lights on their seed starting stations are brighter than tradional flourescents. What does that mean? Higher wattage? The price difference of building my own versus buying theirs is substantial. I've seen many people on here building their own - so the shop lights from the hardware store are fine, right?

Thanks everyone!
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 2/2/2012, 1:30 pm

Shoplights work just fine. I've used them now going into my 3rd year. No probs.

Since I start my seeds in 3/4-inch soil blocks, I just remove the single soil block from the heat mat and place under the lights. Someone with experience with those 6-cell packs will have to answer about when to move the cellpacks from off the mat, after one sprouts or wait til all have sprouted. In my case, I've often had only one sprout at a time even tho I've sown them all the same day.

Seed Starting FAQ  02-24-10

above: some have sprouted, some not yet and all sown the same day.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 2/2/2012, 7:09 pm

gwenn

You answered my first question as I did not know all the heating mats are the same. And then do I continue to use the mat until all seeds have germinated?

Now about the light; can I use a flouecent light?
floyd1440
floyd1440

Back to top Go down

Post  jpatti 2/2/2012, 7:40 pm

Yes, my house temp is WHY I use a heat mat. It's a lot cheaper than raising the temps in the house to sprouting levels. Also, hubby is Canadian and thinks 70 degrees is a heat wave - he can't stand it. He is a cold weather crop. Wink So it is only warm here pretty much right when I'm showering, as I warm it up a bit then.

They sell big trays with large number of cells... and this is why I don't use them, cause they all sprout at different rates, making life too complicated for me. Wink So... I started broccoli, bok choy, and two cabbages. I started them each in their own 6-pack. So all the seeds in the 6-pack will all sprout at the same time, or close enough, and then I'll move them to under lights. I can move each 6-pack individually as it's ready.

I have a homemade cabinet thingy, with shop lights at the top of two shelves. I use a bunch of different boards to raise or lower the flat so the seedlings are about 2 inches from the light. It's plugged into a timer, which I have set for 16 hours/day.

No one has ever convinced me the extra cost of grow lights was worthwhile... partially because I grew big, healthy non-leggy transplants on a windowsill before I knew better. Wink So... I think there may be optimum conditions, but there are also "good enough" conditions - and regular shop lights have always been good enough.
jpatti
jpatti

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 2/4/2012, 5:50 pm

Jpat........

I guess my question in your lighting. You say you use shop lights. Would florecent light do or do you need incondecent lighting for plants?
floyd1440
floyd1440

Back to top Go down

Post  jpatti 2/4/2012, 6:09 pm

They're just regular cheap flourescent lights. Same kind that is over my sink. Ya know, you go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy the cheapest thing you can find.

I know they're not ideal, but... they have always worked for me, so I have never upgraded to the ones with the right color light or whatever grow lights are. I read about them in seed catalogs every year, and then decide to spend my money elsewhere. Wink

Before I knew what I was doing and had never read a gardening book, I had gorgeous, non-leggy, bushy tomato transplants in 1 gallon pots in March... grown just on a windowsill and transplanted 3 or 4 times by then. Amazing what you can do when no one has told you that you can't yet. Wink Lucky for me as a complete newbie, tomatoes like being transplanted a lot.

So... I'm a hard sell on the light issue. The cheap lights keep working, so I keep using them.

One cabbage, the broccoli and bok choy are under it now; the other cabbage only had one sprout so I didn't move it yet. Today, I snipped off the extra seedlings from those six packs too. So far, so good.
jpatti
jpatti

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 2/4/2012, 7:40 pm

Thanks jpat////////

This is the first year for my seed starting and nice to know a florecent light will do. Everything I SHOULD need is on the way and hopefully I will be starting seeds this time next week.

I built my SFG early last summer so had to buy transplants. What a HUGE expense that was and vowed never to do that again! Fortunately I did save seeds from last years harvest so once I establish a seed starting proceedure SFGing should be a lot less expensive going forward.Seed Starting FAQ  3170584802
floyd1440
floyd1440

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum