Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
1st of February in the North & Central Midwest Toplef101st of February in the North & Central Midwest 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

1st of February in the North & Central Midwest I22gcj101st of February in the North & Central Midwest 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
1st of February in the North & Central Midwest Toplef101st of February in the North & Central Midwest 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

1st of February in the North & Central Midwest I22gcj101st of February in the North & Central Midwest 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Today at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Today at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Today at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Today at 11:14 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Today at 11:22 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Today at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Today at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Today at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Today at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

1st of February in the North & Central Midwest

+12
Goosegirl
ander217
Furbalsmom
Smartchick
CindiLou
FarmerValerie
Aub
sully
madnicmom
camprn
boffer
BackyardBirdGardner
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

1st of February in the North & Central Midwest Empty 1st of February in the North & Central Midwest

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 2/3/2011, 9:14 pm

I liked the idea in the PNW subforum so much, I decided to expand it.

How bout we keep a log of what we did, or are doing, this week? I'll go first...

Nothing....lol. That was easy.

However, I have two boxes made and waiting for dirt and accessories. I have five peat pellets under lights started.....a broccoli, celery, two lettuce, and a cauliflower. The lettuces are experimental and are intended to be grown in windows. The rest is awaiting transplantation prefrost on their dates.....once the dirt and hoop house are in.

We are under 3-4 inches of sleet...that has turned to ice....and another 2 inches of snow. Temps are ridiculously cold with nights falling close to zero again tonight. Days are not expected to get above freezing for the forecastable future. And, although I trust the calendars and climatology, I am beginning to think I jumped the gun a bit....but realize that will happen some years when I am this aggressive.

Now, you go...
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

1st of February in the North & Central Midwest Empty Re: 1st of February in the North & Central Midwest

Post  boffer 2/3/2011, 9:33 pm

BackyardBirdGardner wrote:I liked the idea in the PNW subforum so much, I decided to expand it....
Have I got a job for you! Kidding, that's mm's job. What you read in the PNW forum is what we call the 'First of the Month Update'. It's a good place for everyone to check in with others in their region. The thread is generally initiated by the Regional Host of that region on the first of the month. The routine has gotten pretty slack over the winter because there hasn't been much to talk about. If you look at posts over the past three days, you'll see several first of month threads that have been posted, participation is still a little slow. Not all Regional Hosts made their posts on schedule.

I'm not sure what region you're in, do you know? The map is here.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

1st of February in the North & Central Midwest Empty Re: 1st of February in the North & Central Midwest

Post  camprn 2/3/2011, 10:20 pm

Harvesting snow? Shocked

Last edited by camprn on 2/4/2011, 8:51 am; edited 1 time in total
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 2/3/2011, 11:15 pm

BBG

Judging from the map, it looks like you're in the Northern and Central Midwest Region. If that's where you think you fit in also*, maybe a mod can change your topic title to something like 'First of the month in the Midwest'. You currently don't have a Regional Host, and last year the Midwest region was the most active.

* Some folks are located geographically in one region, but participate in an adjoining region because the climate is more similar.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 2/4/2011, 9:06 am

Yup...I'm a midwest guy both in heart and on your map (but plan to closely follow Upper and Middle South, too). Most active sounds shocking...especially given there's no current host. I knew the activity would be low this time of year and would pick up as frost dates get closer. I've already seen it pick up in the General forum. I suppose only you hardcore guys are year-round residents.

Either way, I saw an idea and ran with it. It's sort of what I do. I had no idea it was a regular thing. That's awesome. If I stepped on toes, I'm sure someone will say something. I am certainly not trying to take over.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  madnicmom 2/4/2011, 2:23 pm

New to this forum but loving the discussions. I currently have broccoli seeds started but I started the wrong variety ( 90 day harvest, it'll be march when they are ready to harvest. LOL). I really just wanted to get a "feel" for starting seeds. I'm currently waiting on my Burpee order to arrive, with the correct variety to start. The new Menards store opened on Tuesday.The seeds are 40% off. Hubby and I are going over tomorrow to check it out and price some needed items. I have a $10 off $50 coupon for Lowe's so I may have to get my wood for the other raised beds I need with that.

My location is north of Cincy - we had 0.5 - 0.75 inch of ice on Tues/Wed,then 0.25 inch dusting of snow on top of it. The temps are slowly creeping upwards now but not enough to melt it. I fell the other morning walking the dog.
madnicmom
madnicmom

Female Posts : 567

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 2/4/2011, 5:12 pm

I hope no one in your area lost power. That much ice tends to bring down limbs.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Back to top Go down

1st of February in the North & Central Midwest Empty starting seed

Post  sully 2/5/2011, 11:33 am

I have tomato, pepper, basil, cilantro, chives, and sunflowers started.
Tomatoes and basil have sprouted.

As for the weather. I had to dig my way IN to my garage.
Had to water some shrubs and trees.
sully

Male Posts : 21

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 2/5/2011, 5:17 pm

Sully, "central kansas" is? I grew up in Independence....down around Chanute, Parsons, Coffeyville.

When you say central, I think points north of Wichita like McPherson, Pratt, Great Bend, etc.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  sully 2/6/2011, 2:18 pm

BYBG,

I am in Herington, Ks. Just south of Junction City. About 11/2 hrs north of Wichita. Anyone else in this area?
sully

Male Posts : 21

Back to top Go down

Post  Aub 2/6/2011, 6:14 pm

I'm in Illinois near Peoria. I thought it would be a good idea to start some herbs. So a few days ago I did just that!
I have Basil that just sprouted and then was murdered by one of my 4 year old twins. I also have Oregano and Sage that are just poking through the soil. I have a few things in moist paper towels right now that I will put in tonight or tomorrow.
Aub
Aub

Female Posts : 283

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 2/6/2011, 6:15 pm

sully wrote:BYBG,

I am in Herington, Ks. Just south of Junction City. About 11/2 hrs north of Wichita. Anyone else in this area?

Thanks. I pretty much can visualize you on a map now. Several years back, I had a buddy move to Hutch to photograph for their paper. I hate to say it, but I am not fond of that part of the world....even though I will always love Kansas and call it home. My town and yours are two different worlds. You get more wind for sure, more storms, and more heat in the summer coupled with that blast-furnace wind.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 2/6/2011, 6:16 pm

Aub wrote:I'm in Illinois near Peoria. I thought it would be a good idea to start some herbs. So a few days ago I did just that!
I have Basil that just sprouted and then was murdered by one of my 4 year old twins. I also have Oregano and Sage that are just poking through the soil. I have a few things in moist paper towels right now that I will put in tonight or tomorrow.

Awesome...keep us posted.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 2/6/2011, 10:12 pm

Aub wrote:I'm in Illinois near Peoria. I thought it would be a good idea to start some herbs. So a few days ago I did just that!

My dad is a twin, I feel for you!!! My dad & uncle still act like 4 year olds when they get together!
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 2/7/2011, 1:08 am

Not a darn thing going on!
Another couple of inches of snow on top of the storm.
I got the trusty planner out. I get to start broccoli and onions this week! Will start parsley too, I have most of the herbs growing in my perennial beds already.
I am going to have hoop covers on the early beds this spring so I am starting my seeds just a little early. I figure I can plant about 2 weeks before last frost date.
Iowa can be funny for growing!
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Post  madnicmom 2/7/2011, 10:24 am

Aub- I feel your pain. My 3yr old has murdered 4 brocolli plants.

BYBG, nobody in my area lost power but ppl south of me did.
madnicmom
madnicmom

Female Posts : 567

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 2/9/2011, 1:22 pm

Those of you south of me got whopped again. Sorry to see that white stuff come through yet again. However, we are supposed to get warmer temps starting tomorrow around my neck of the woods. It appears the weather pattern will temporarily shift for several days to a couple weeks. Hopefully, by then, winter will only have a last gasp left over.

It's really sad when I think 50F is the coming of summer.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Back to top Go down

1st of February in the North & Central Midwest Empty Just Planning

Post  Smartchick 2/18/2011, 5:13 pm

Hey all - new to the forums but not new to SFG. I'm on my third year and learning a bit every time I plant. I'm just planning right now as I haven't gotten brave enough to do my own transplants. This year, I WILL win the war against the cabbage worms.
Smartchick
Smartchick

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 2/18/2011, 5:33 pm

welcome SmartChick welcome

Great to have another SFG with some experience. Where have you been the last three years? Smile We are so glad you have joined us.

I row gardened when I lived in Omaha from 1994 to 1998. One thing really I miss since moving to Oregon is the ability to grow Lots and Lots of Tomatoes. We just don't have enough heat most years.

Hope you find the trick to beating down those nasty Cabbage Worms. Lightweight row covers can be helpful to keep those pretty butterfiles off your brassiccas and prevent Cabbage Worms. BT is sometimes helpful if the Cabbage Worms are already there.

Please feel free to ask questions, and if you have comments on someone else's questions, jump right in.
Just so you know, we LOVE pictures.

Again, Welcome!

Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 2/18/2011, 5:48 pm

Welcome, Smartchick!!

We are getting ready for planting over here in STL....well, I am. I am pushing envelopes this year with a hoop house and some water jugs....hoping to get broccoli, lettuce, and spinach in next weekend. With our winter being far from over, I'm afraid, I am really pushing the edges here. But, I feel it's worth it if all works out....and, if not, I'm out $5 in seed.

Boy, how seed starting cuts costs!

When can you plant over there? And, when do YOU plant over there?
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Back to top Go down

1st of February in the North & Central Midwest Empty Welcome

Post  ander217 2/19/2011, 6:32 am

Welcome to the forum, Smartchick. It's always good to have a veteran SFG'er join the group.

I know what you mean about cabbage worms. I controlled them years ago in my old row garden with Bt (Dipel, Thuricide) but I didn't buy it soon enough last summer and I couldn't find it when I needed it in the fall. I did a daily handpicking of worms, which helped enough to get a crop. I thought cold weather would get 'em, but they lasted as long as the broccoli.

Someone posted last summer (sorry, I've forgotten who it was - please remind me if you know) that they cut out small white butterflies and paint a single black dot on the wing to resemble cabbage moths. They put small sticks in the corners of their box and tie strings diagonally across the tops from which to dangle a few of the fake moths over the plants. Apparently the moths are territorial and new ones will not lay eggs where another is already in business. I got as far as cutting out my moths from cottage cheese container lids but then had to leave home for a couple of weeks and never got back to getting them put up. I plan to put them out this year as soon as I set the plants. It won't cost much to give it a shot.

Remember that we love to see photos of your garden.

1st of February in the North & Central Midwest 396615
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

1st of February in the North & Central Midwest Empty RE: 1st of February in the North & Central Midwest

Post  Goosegirl 2/19/2011, 9:13 am

Well, I obviously missed the 1st of February since I just joined this week, but I am definitely in N&C Midwest! I have collected much of the needed supplies to make my boxes, grids, and trellises, but since we are in a Winter Storm Warning for 6-12 inches of snow starting tonight (just updated to add a few more inches on the forecast!) there is not much to do outside. I have my garden designed and my calendar set with when to plant what indoors and outdoors. Never been this organized for starting the garden, but All New SGF really inspired me! Now I wait...with 3 trellises built and adorning my dining room.
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 2/19/2011, 11:02 am

Goosegirl wrote:Well, I obviously missed the 1st of February since I just joined this week, but I am definitely in N&C Midwest! I have collected much of the needed supplies to make my boxes, grids, and trellises, but since we are in a Winter Storm Warning for 6-12 inches of snow starting tonight (just updated to add a few more inches on the forecast!) there is not much to do outside. I have my garden designed and my calendar set with when to plant what indoors and outdoors. Never been this organized for starting the garden, but All New SGF really inspired me! Now I wait...with 3 trellises built and adorning my dining room.

Ain't it fun?!!

I have never planned out my stuff with a calendar, either, but am this year.

I will tell you this about the weathermen, when they start adjusting their forecast by adding inches, they are secretly telling you that you may get even more than that. When they say 4-6 inches, but start dropping it to 1-3, you hardly get squat. Same goes for temperatures....although, you live in one of the toughest places in the world to forecast temps. That chinook wind can really mess up a forecast.

Hope to see pictures soon of your garden....snow covered or not.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 2/19/2011, 9:39 pm

Ain't that the truth about the Weatherman! We are now upgraded to a Blizzard Warning affraid. Come on MAY! Give me HEAT!
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 2/19/2011, 9:43 pm

Goosegirl wrote:Ain't that the truth about the Weatherman! We are now upgraded to a Blizzard Warning affraid. Come on MAY! Give me HEAT!

I'm tellin' ya, you can take that "trend" to the bank. I have an entire Facebook following on my local forecasting.....they swear I'm more accurate.....and, I'm starting to believe them. But, I have a secret weapon....(an Autistic son that gets really hyper 24-48 hrs before it rains without fail.).
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next