Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Everyone's discussions about their garden plans... Toplef10Everyone's discussions about their garden plans... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Everyone's discussions about their garden plans... I22gcj10Everyone's discussions about their garden plans... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Everyone's discussions about their garden plans... Toplef10Everyone's discussions about their garden plans... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Everyone's discussions about their garden plans... I22gcj10Everyone's discussions about their garden plans... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Today at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Today at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:55 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:53 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm Yesterday at 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Everyone's discussions about their garden plans...

+10
quiltbea
BackyardBirdGardner
CarolynPhillips
janefss2002
Blackrose
miinva
Selandra
ander217
Megan
middlemamma
14 posters

Go down

Everyone's discussions about their garden plans... Empty Everyone's discussions about their garden plans...

Post  middlemamma 1/18/2011, 11:52 pm

inspired me to sit down with mine tonight and start trying to figure it all out.

As I was sitting there looking at my seeds, then my diagram, then my companion planting book and back and forth and back and forth...my daughter climbs up beside me and says she is going to help.

I went to get a drink and came back to this:
Everyone's discussions about their garden plans... Img_7910
On the right is her diagram she drew and the left is my diagram.
Then she started telling me as I came around the corner what SHE thinks we should do with the garden.
Everyone's discussions about their garden plans... Img_7911

She is as excited as I am for Everyone's discussions about their garden plans... 274447 to get here. Smile
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Everyone's discussions about their garden plans... Empty Re: Everyone's discussions about their garden plans...

Post  Megan 1/19/2011, 3:11 am

That is so adorable, Jennie! Very Happy Glad she is so excited about it!
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Everyone's discussions about their garden plans... Empty How sweet

Post  ander217 1/19/2011, 5:39 am

Aww, Jennie, that warms my heart.

I'm having trouble figuring out my second season plan. Does she do consulting work?
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Everyone's discussions about their garden plans... Empty Re: Everyone's discussions about their garden plans...

Post  Selandra 1/19/2011, 10:20 am

New generation SFG'er... cheers

That's what life is all about... the wisdom of age teaching the curiosity of youth.
Selandra
Selandra

Female Posts : 123

http://www.asfggardenerstale.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  miinva 1/19/2011, 1:32 pm

cheers Hooray for kids who love gardening! My son is excited about starting some seeds inside, which we'll do for the first time this year. I'm going to try a couple of other ideas as well this summer, bucket and container gardening, just to keep things new and interesting for him. My husband has agreed to build them with Ben, and then Ben and I will plant and maintain them Smile
miinva

Female Posts : 780

http://www.ungardener.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Blackrose 1/19/2011, 2:34 pm

My 3 yo daughter was looking through one of my seed catalogs the other day and pointing to the pictures. "Look Momma! That looks yummy!"

I think I may build a 2x2 and give my 3 yo daughter and 4 yo nephew each two squares to plant. The back deck is a nice sunny spot that is close to where they play. So they can keep an eye on it and water it regularly.

I may check out the teaching plan on the SFG shop too. May be a good summer teaching opportunity.
Blackrose
Blackrose

Female Posts : 710

Back to top Go down

Post  miinva 1/19/2011, 2:43 pm

I entered an essay in the contest because I want to buy that teaching plan but my husband and I have an agreement that I'll try really hard not to spend money on things that don't actually produce food Smile If I win anything at all, I'm going to apply it to making that purchase!

We put in a 2x2 quadruple depth bed for my 9-year-old son to grow carrots this year and he absolutely loved it. He watered the whole garden for me most days when he was going out there to water his carrot bed. Very Happy
miinva

Back to top Go down

Post  janefss2002 1/19/2011, 7:22 pm

Your daughter is so precious!

My daughter still remembers when we gardened in half whiskey barrels when she was young. We grew tomatoes, peppers and herbs. She loved to help work in the garden (or was that help by watching me work Wink ).

She did love to eat the goods from the garden more than stuff from the grocery store.

Keep up the good work, passing on the good gardening spirit to the next generation!

Jane
janefss2002
janefss2002

Female Posts : 116

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 1/20/2011, 10:34 am

SWEET !

My son is slightly interested. He likes to plant it but he doesn't like to tend to it.
He lives on the lazy side of life. He loves to eat carrots and cherry tomatoes so that is what he is growing this year in his own square bed. Grow what you eat most of.
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Female Posts : 779

Back to top Go down

Post  janefss2002 1/20/2011, 10:15 pm

Jennie,

Just a thought: put the teepee where your SFGners-in-training can access. You will probably have to have a step stool in the ready a few weeks after planting! Your children will love hunting for the beans or in early stages helping the beans to climb (less mess than a pet Smile ).

My dad did the teepee when I was little, but that was a teepee over a big area in a row garden. We would hide in it!

Your children will love this!

Hope to see pictures of the bean hunters in the future sunny

Jane
janefss2002
janefss2002

Female Posts : 116

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 1/20/2011, 10:38 pm

Thanks everyone...she is cute...but SUCH A HANDFUL. Everyone's discussions about their garden plans... 43549 But she sure cracks me up...never a dull day. Smile

Jane what a great idea....Smile I will see what I can figure out. Hopefully I will be able to share some great pictures! Can't wait for Everyone's discussions about their garden plans... 274447 !!!
middlemamma
middlemamma

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 1/23/2011, 7:57 pm

You know that NOW you have to let her have a couple of squares. And, you have to watch her blow your socks off with how much better hers does than yours. And, you only have to do this once......and she's hooked for life. 30+ years of bonding experiences are waiting for you now.....awesome.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 1/24/2011, 12:19 am

When giving children a square or two of their own, be sure to start them with a crop that is fast-growing so they can see the results of their efforts quickly. Nothing discourages a child than waiting forever to see their crops growing.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  miinva 1/24/2011, 12:41 am

Beans grow quickly as do radishes. My son loves the pole beans because they grow so quickly and climb whatever you train them to, but there's no way around the fact that he was thrilled when we pulled all of the carrots from his little 2x2 carrot bed.
miinva

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 1/24/2011, 2:32 am

Maddy helped me every step of the way last year. She helped me plant seeds, water, pick beans. We ate cherry tomatoes off the plant while did the nightly watering together.

I promised her this year a whole tire filled with all different kinds of purple flowers. She is super excited about that. Smile

She has her own little pair of teeny weeny gloves and her princess watering can...I will probably be sending her off to college with a TT 2X2 filled with MM. HA!

Smile Jen
middlemamma
middlemamma

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 1/24/2011, 2:58 am

Purple Flowers, just what every garden princess needs! (Along with her teeny weeny gloves and her princess watering can) flower
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  Rolanaj 1/24/2011, 5:09 pm

That's too cute. I may just let my 3 year old have a couple squares this summer too she loves helping. I think with her I'll go with stuff she can eat just in case she gets hungry doing all that work Smile
Rolanaj

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Bird 1/24/2011, 5:43 pm

Enjoy them while you can , My little princess is all grown up (23) and I would have loved to share gardening with her, we didnt garden when she was little, I miss having children in the house, this post got me teary eyed. And I cant listen to Daddy's hands without blubbering either,, ( long story)
Jay Bird
Jay Bird

Male Posts : 228

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 1/24/2011, 6:24 pm

My kids are 5 and 10 and I am just now taking to heart all the warnings that I should "enjoy them while they are little". I hope it isn't too late.

Hubby and I would love to have one more but the last few years seems we are just farther and farther from being able to do that, which makes me even more conscious of enjoying them while we can.

Smile Jen
middlemamma
middlemamma

Back to top Go down

Post  Rolanaj 1/24/2011, 7:28 pm

My first little princess is 22 and her brother is almost 20 so I really do know how fast it goes. I remember my oldest daughter helping me pick potato bugs and putting them in soapy water to get rid of them. There is no way you would get her to pick up a bug these days Very Happy My youngest was a surprise, turns out sometimes you really don't always know what you need. She is a blessing and helps keep her father and I both young. It's actually kind of amazing how much she has brought to our family, not just the immediate family either.
Rolanaj

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 1/25/2011, 12:15 am

My little princess is 21 and helps me in the garden. My older kids (32,29) grew up helping row garden.
They have all helped me can (even the boy) so I feel they were given knowledge, the desire I can't make them have. My 32 yr old daughter gardens and She started sfg last year along with me. Easier for her to do with full time work, full time student, and a toddler and a preschooler. I have one granddaughter that spends the summer and she is developing the love of gardening. My 4 yr old grandson that I take care of loves helping NaNa. I have three older stepkids but they have no desire to garden. So I am hoping I got the next generation in time rofl!! SFG makes it a lot easier.
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down