Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Just planning, thinking, waiting. - Page 6 Toplef10Just planning, thinking, waiting. - Page 6 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Just planning, thinking, waiting. - Page 6 I22gcj10Just planning, thinking, waiting. - Page 6 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Just planning, thinking, waiting. - Page 6 Toplef10Just planning, thinking, waiting. - Page 6 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Just planning, thinking, waiting. - Page 6 I22gcj10Just planning, thinking, waiting. - Page 6 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Just planning, thinking, waiting.

+17
martha
boffer
FarmerValerie
Old Hippie
elliephant
nancy
miinva
Furbalsmom
Megan
Odd Duck
kiwirose
kimbertangleknot
CindiLou
camprn
quiltbea
ander217
CarolynPhillips
21 posters

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Just planning, thinking, waiting. - Page 6 Empty Re: Just planning, thinking, waiting.

Post  FarmerValerie 2/9/2011, 8:19 am

I thought I would share what my husband planned to do Sunday, and then decided not to do, you know those kind of projects, you get out there and start, then decide it's too much, and then a few days later something happens that makes you decide you should have went ahead and done it.

He wanted to tear off the old porch, put up a new frame, and board a walk way on Sunday, finishing it as he had time (uh huh!), but just decided to build a trial TTSFG. Okay, that's fine, cept he had already cleared off the porch and had stuff strung all over the place. So my son had to straighten that up the other day, still no problem. In anticipation of the cold and snow, we had my son load up the porch with firewood, we heard a crash a few minutes later. The porch had separated from the house and hit the ground. Is it fixed, nope he was tired, and he said maybe we will get enough snow to walk across until he gets it fixed. 20 years ago, I'd have gone out there and tore it away myself, but maybe thats why now I have back pain when the weather changes......

So, I'm waiting for the snow, updating my calendar on the snowfalls, and planning how to get him to fix that porch......
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Just planning, thinking, waiting. - Page 6 Empty Re: Just planning, thinking, waiting.

Post  CarolynPhillips 2/9/2011, 8:40 am

oh my goodness. I hate that your porch gave way but at the same time , its funny your hubby said maybe it will snow enough to walk across the porch. We know what ya'll will be doing after the snow melts. Keep us updated
So did you build a TT sfg?
I'm excited about my TT sfgs. But I been so busy that I still have not decided what to grow in them.
Also---I do not have to move the beds that I was going to make gate trellises in for my green beans and other vines. Those two beds sit between the raised cinder block bed with arch trellis and the seedling greenhouse.

CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Female Posts : 779

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 2/9/2011, 8:58 am

Well, he started one, and it's about 75% done, which is good for him. He is very talented, and can do just about anything he sets his mind too, I just wish I had a $1 for everything he started and did not finish, I could buy everything he did not finish!!!

The porch needed to go anyway, we had boards laying across it so we did not fall through, and I fell through last fall. I have not been able to do any seed starting on it when we warm up, I still have to do that inside, and I'd rather go outside in 50-70 degree weather, which we have had recently, and then just get the hose and spray down any mess, well that is if I could take the front off of the new well house and connect the hose that is.......
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 2/9/2011, 10:32 am

I wish I had a $1 for everything my husband did not put back in its place. Rolling Eyes
I feel--there is a place for everything and everything should be in its place.
This is the bad habits that I over look most of the time because all the good outweighs the bad. Funny how one thought leads to another.

The home buyer called me this morning and said the bank is closing on the deal Tuesday. I am so so nervous. I have no plans to back out---but cant help but ask myself---What have I done? I sold my home. What was I thinking? I am going to live in a shed. What have I done? dangit
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Bird 2/9/2011, 4:05 pm

I must chime in on behalf of the MEN,, in my house my wife has so many things for me to do that it is difficult to finish one thing before another has to be started , such as if its outside work it gets started but then it rains and another inside job gets started until the weather improves or this job runs out of money but I have all the stuff for that job,

If I could be allowed one job at a time I would finish every job !!!

Point ! I was sitting in the recliner feeling guilty about watching NCIS instead of twining up the rest of the tomato's in the greenhouse, I told my wife this and she said lets go out after NCIS , and I asked well what about NCIS LA ,, she said we can do it tomorrow,, so Point is LADIES sometimes we are not alone in our failure to complete projects

And sometimes it is more work to drag out the tools than the job itself, so that gets put off until there are more than one of those jobs so that the dragging out of the tools is worth the effort,, you see its all about working efficiently
Jay Bird
Jay Bird

Male Posts : 228

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 2/9/2011, 5:03 pm

Jay Bird wrote:Point ! I was sitting in the recliner feeling guilty about watching NCIS instead of twining up the rest of the tomato's in the greenhouse, I told my wife this and she said lets go out after NCIS , and I asked well what about NCIS LA ,, she said we can do it tomorrow,, so Point is LADIES sometimes we are not alone in our failure to complete projects.

My wife would have said: 'OK, fine, tomorrow we'll put a TV in the greenhouse!'

boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 2/9/2011, 10:48 pm

way to go

I think its all good. I am not hard on my husband. I don't think.

I have a DVR so I don't miss my favorite shows==like HOUSE. I disagree with some of his thoughts---but I love the show.

I love Dr. Quinn too and have the entire DVD Box sets. If I get bored between customers in the greenhouse, I can watch Dr. Quinn on the lap top. Very Happy
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 2/10/2011, 9:18 am

Oh, I was not dissin' all men, I have accepted the fact that my husband is easily distracted, if he were in public school today, he would be a poster child for medicating kids, in fact he was one of the first kids to get ridalin, and was promptly taken off. Even he will admit this trait of his. I learned how to go behind him and finish things, which has been a good thing, I know how to use power tools (I'm not allowed to go to Lowe's tool section with him, I drool too much) and use pallets to build a porch, and so many other things. I can do it all except change the oil in the car, and re-wire the house, I'm not allowed to try. Add in the fact that this is what he does for a living, you have the busman's holiday thing going on.

Last year and this year are different, all this "do it myself" has taken a tole on my back, I just cannot do it anymore, and it's frustrating-I guess I take that out on him.

Jay Bird, take up crochet or knitting, it works for a GREAT excuse to watch TV, and during the "busy" season eases the "guilt". Just kidding, I do understand though, trying to enjoy your favorite show while thinking about all that needs to get done. The main reason I grow cow peas, is so I can sit on my blessed assurance, and watch all my favorite movies in marathon style while shelling the peas.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 2/10/2011, 10:21 am

CHIVES, can young chives be transplanted? I would think it would be like transplanting young onions but have no experience with that.
I have a square of chives in a bed that has to be moved.

We have 3 inches of snow so my bed moving is delayed til late today or tomorrow.

Will snow peas survive being covered with snow? Should I give them warm water?
When I get more soil transferred into another TT sfg, I will be sowing more snow peas. (compare to 2wk head start of transplants).

I am transplanting my seedling eggplants , peppers and geraniums today. Will be sowing my tomatoes today. Wish I could wait for better moon signs but will be moving on those days.

I do know that Feb23 & 24 will be excellent days to sow and transplant Tomatoes and the like. Sowing tomato seeds today(fairly productive) will work out great for transplanting later.

CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 2/10/2011, 10:30 am

CarolynPhillips wrote:Will snow peas survive being covered with snow?

Peas can survive short term snow just fine; at times the snow can be a good insulator against colder temps. It's fun to plant peas as early as possible for the emotional value. Keep in mind that they may not come to harvest any sooner than the peas you plant in a couple weeks because the cold slows them down.
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 2/10/2011, 11:02 am

I was looking at my almanac calendar and I am not goin to sow tomato seeds today.
I will sow them on the 14th and transplant on the 24th.

here is a thought on peat pellets for seeds like tomato, pepper, egg...........
After the peat pellets swell up, cut it in half= two for one. sow seed in the cut side of the peat pellet. The seedlings are goin to be transplanted 10 to 14 days later and the half pellet should still be big enough. idk
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 2/10/2011, 7:33 pm

Farmer Val, changing oil is not big deal. It can be messy, but it is not difficult.

Gwynn
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 2/11/2011, 7:54 am

Old Hippie wrote:Farmer Val, changing oil is not big deal. It can be messy, but it is not difficult.

Gwynn

Oh, I'm sure it's no messier than changing cloth diapers, but no on bothered to tell me that I not only had to add water to my first car, but they did not tell me where to put the oil. I knew where to check it, and yes, that's where I added it. So, I'm only allowed to check the air, check the oil, add water/washer fluid, and gas. We are currently a 1 vehicle family, so everything is hubby's job right now, but if I ever get my own car, I'm going to learn some more of the basics.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee 2/11/2011, 8:17 am

I didn't realize how weird my dad was until I was an adult.

He made us girls learn how (and why) to check the oil, water, battery, brake fluid, transmission fluid, tire pressure, and fill up with gas...then made us learn to change a tire and change the oil and filters...as soon as we got our first cars.

I pay someone else to change tires and change oil because it's just more futzing around than I care to do (including taking it all to the recycling centre) -- but it does feel good to know I can do it if I have to.

(He also made us learn how to change lightbulbs, fix busted hinges and door latches, put flat-pack furniture together...I owned more tools than my husband did when we got married. Weird dowry, huh?)

I guess he came by it honestly -- his mother made he and my uncle learn how to cook for themselves (hamburgers, macaroni and cheese, omelets - nothing gourmet, but plenty enough knowledge to be able to feed themselves without resorting to takeout or TV dinners), sew a button on a shirt and press a pair of trousers.

LaFee

Female Posts : 1023

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 2/11/2011, 8:30 pm

La Fee, I was raised the same way. NO driving a car until you could change your own tires and take basic care of the vehicle. Checking gauges and listening to the sounds of the motor. We also had to buy our own gas.

My parents believed in being independant and teaching us to take care of ourselves. Dad taught us interesting things like how to hot wire the car or truck and how to light a small fire under it in very cold weather so you could start it if you didn't have a block heater. My mother made my brother learn to cook and do laundry and their own ironing. My sister and I had to chop wood, stoke the fire and carry water. We all learned to bake bread and can preserves and work in the garden. All of those skills have helped me so many times throughout my life. I am so thankful for being taught how to survive practically ANYWHERE with very little. The gift of independence is truly the best thing they ever gave me. The thing that I find really delightful about this is that my grown children are now so happy that we taught them the same things.

Gwynn Just planning, thinking, waiting. - Page 6 90640
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 2/12/2011, 9:55 am

Learning things while growing up===been there , done that.

I was transfering my soil into the TT yesterday. Had to pull up a lot of turnips.
I normally grow purple top but this past Sept. I grew a mix.
So, what kind of turnip grows like a carrot???????? And look how big.
I can't wait to grow carrots to maturity. Imagine how big the carrots could get.

to add= the turnip was growing in a 16 inch deep bed and the tip of the root was
growing into the clay soil below---so when i pull it up , the tip broke off.
Just planning, thinking, waiting. - Page 6 100_0545
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 2/12/2011, 10:55 am

Are you sure that's not a parsnip?
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 2/14/2011, 7:13 pm

Thats what it reminded me of too----a parsnip---but only by looking in catalogs. I have never grown parsnips and do not know if the greens look like turnip greens do.
The greens on that root look just like turnip greens.

Do parsnip greens look like turnip greens?
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 2/14/2011, 8:01 pm

Parsnip greens look more like carrots. Old turnips can get really big. I think it is a turnip. But.... does it smell like a brassica, or not?
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 2/14/2011, 8:09 pm

+1 for parsnips

boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 2/14/2011, 9:14 pm

I believe. It is a turnip, as it seems to have turnip greens.
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 2/14/2011, 9:18 pm

Judging from the root...it didn't just fall off the turnip truck... yahoo

Just planning, thinking, waiting. - Page 6 TURNIPS-FOR-STREET-SALE-Turnips-badly-Infested-with-maggots
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Just planning, thinking, waiting. - Page 6 Empty turnip

Post  ander217 2/14/2011, 9:27 pm

It may be a turnip. I had an unusual-looking root in my fall garden that turned out to be a French turnip. You can check out the thread here:
what are these?
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 2/14/2011, 10:07 pm

Boffer, I love the old photo. Though it is possible and I am assuming my veggie fell off a different turnip truck.

i actually found a few moments to search "long turnips". They do exist but -----who knows. I pulled up about 20 of those carrot shaped turnips. They all smell like turnips. Taste like turnips. They were good raw. Cold, crisp, mild hint of radish Zing, mild sweet flavor, earthy.

here is a link of pics to long turnips.

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=quB&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&biw=1267&bih=508&tbs=isch%3A1&sa=1&q=long+turnips&btnG=Search
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 2/14/2011, 10:15 pm

These are my parsnip greens in the front.
Just planning, thinking, waiting. - Page 6 11-11-10
In the back, taller and darker in color, are still some leftover Swiss chard before the winter winds.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next