Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Just planning, thinking, waiting. - Page 7 Toplef10Just planning, thinking, waiting. - Page 7 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Just planning, thinking, waiting. - Page 7 I22gcj10Just planning, thinking, waiting. - Page 7 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Just planning, thinking, waiting. - Page 7 Toplef10Just planning, thinking, waiting. - Page 7 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Just planning, thinking, waiting. - Page 7 I22gcj10Just planning, thinking, waiting. - Page 7 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Just planning, thinking, waiting.

+17
martha
boffer
FarmerValerie
Old Hippie
elliephant
nancy
miinva
Furbalsmom
Megan
Odd Duck
kiwirose
kimbertangleknot
CindiLou
camprn
quiltbea
ander217
CarolynPhillips
21 posters

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Go down

Just planning, thinking, waiting. - Page 7 Empty Re: Just planning, thinking, waiting.

Post  CarolynPhillips 2/14/2011, 10:53 pm

dangit
lol, i am so confused. I dunno what the heck it was. I did not eat the big one--it was too woodie.

Quiltbea, I like your painted boxes.
I have added wood frames on top of my raised cinder block beds to make it easier to plant by the square foot. I want to paint the blocks with block filler then paint them and all the wood and the timber arched trellis all the same color. I have not decided on a color yet. idk

Tomato subject: I want to finish building our home as quick as possible so I will not be growing all the tomato varieties that I had listed earlier==days ago. I don't know what I am goin to grow. I have a huge selection and so many that I wanted to try this year. Sigh. I better not grow them all.

I go to the bank tomorrow 2pm. Will be moved out by the weekend into my miniature temporary home. Shocked I can do this! No Twisted Evil No Twisted Evil

a million and one things to do -pack-move- work- sow seeds, water seedlings, transplant seedlings( thousands) thinking
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Female Posts : 779

Back to top Go down

Just planning, thinking, waiting. - Page 7 Empty Re: Just planning, thinking, waiting.

Post  quiltbea 2/14/2011, 11:25 pm

Carolyn,
My boxes aren't painted. They've just weathered that dark color.

quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 2/15/2011, 9:03 pm

quiltbea----I feel sheepish. Your sfg looks like dark gray paint. Oops. My bad.
Sitting 15 ft away from a person, and without my eye glasses, I cannot see their eye detail. Their faces are a blur.

Got up this morning and transplanted a few hundred wave petunias, some geraniums, eggplants, and peppers. Sowed my tomato seeds. I have chosen too many but could not bare the thought of not growing them. I am excited about growing the OP Big Beef, Cherokee Purple, Indian Stripe, Super Sioux, Caspian Pink, Arkansas Traveler, Mexico, Giant Tree, Italian Tree, Tommy Toe, Red Currant, Brandywine Suddath and Black Prince. I am only growing 2 of each of those---they are all new to my experience. In addition to those I always grow Big Beef Hybrid, Sweet Million Cherry, and Brandywine.

Found my "happy place" and went to the Bank and signed away my home. Shocked
I had to keep thinking about what I will have in the future, not dwelling on what I have to do without for 4 to 5 months in order to get there. And thank you Lord for my garden. What a Face My "happy place".

so much to say and no place to say it. crazy!
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 2/15/2011, 9:06 pm

Hang in there, Carolyn dear!!! BIG hug
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 2/16/2011, 12:24 am

CarolynPhillips wrote:quiltbea----I feel sheepish. Your sfg looks like dark gray paint. Oops. My bad.
Carolyn, I also thought they were painted dark grey. It is amazing how different types of wood weather, some age to silver or grey and others age to brownish colors.
CarolynPhillips wrote:Sowed my tomato seeds. I have chosen too many but could not bare the thought of not growing them. I am excited about growing the OP Big Beef, Cherokee Purple, Indian Stripe, Super Sioux, Caspian Pink, Arkansas Traveler, Mexico, Giant Tree, Italian Tree, Tommy Toe, Red Currant, Brandywine Suddath and Black Prince. I am only growing 2 of each of those---they are all new to my experience. In addition to those I always grow Big Beef Hybrid, Sweet Million Cherry, and Brandywine.
OK, it may be difficult with all that is going on, but what a treat to try all those different tomato varieties.
CarolynPhillips wrote: Found my "happy place" and went to the Bank and signed away my home.
I had to keep thinking about what I will have in the future, not dwelling on what I have to do without for 4 to 5 months in order to get there. And thank you Lord for my garden. My "happy place".
weeee
Just stay in that Happy Place and you will get through it all.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 2/18/2011, 9:54 pm

sawing logs

I am still moving grow beds around and transferring soil.

Yesterday and Today---I moved concrete blocks and extended
my concrete block Arch beds on one side. All is 3 blocks high.
One side of the Arch beds is still 10 ft long. The other side is 17ft long.
Since the Arch Trellis is made of Landscape Timbers, I made a trellis wall all
the way down the back side of the block beds with landscape timbers concreted into the concrete blocks with a 2x6 header (top rail). Then I finally filled every concrete block hole.
Since the blocks are 3 high= 24 inches deep, and each block hole equals 1gal of soil, I am goin to plant my tomato plants in every other block hole which spaces them 16 inches apart and each plant will have 3 gallons of soil to grow in plus soil in the bed area that the roots will eventually grow into.
I did not take pictures yet because I am embarrassed by the mess created in the back yard due to construction and moving. I been all over the place in the back yard in a frenzy to get things ready for the Mobile home to be moved and have not cleaned all my messes as I go along. But found out this evening that the Mobile Home will not be moved for another week and I am so glad for that. Now I can slow down and clean as I go along. That is what I get to do tomorrow----Clean.

I also sowed more snow peas---direct. My Norli snow peas finally came in the mail. They are a Semi bush type. Assuming that means semi trailing too. Sowed about 60 seeds all together. I soaked my pea seeds for 48 hours in the house and they had already put out short roots when I sowed the seed. They should germinate well.

You know. It was my Landscape Timber Arched Trellis that gave me the idea to build a landscape timber home. Thats when I started researching homes built with landscape timbers. There is not much information on the internet and it is not very popular. Full log cabins, of course, is the most popular. I guess you could say that we will be one of many guinea pigs when it come to the landscape timber home.

We are still getting the SHED ready to move into. I renamed it= TIN CABIN. What a Face
People look at me weird when I say I am moving into a shed. Then my head drops.

Any-Who, living life day by day.
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 2/24/2011, 11:31 pm

My Norli snow peas started popping up out of the soil 2 days ago. It only took them 5 days to pop up in this warm abnormal weather.
Wish I had sown some carrots a week ago---hind sight is 50/50.
I think I will sow a few squares of carrots and see how my luck turns out.

My Empress of India Nasturtiums are popping up too. Sweet. Very Happy

I transplanted my own personal tomato plants today. Will have a Rainbow Trellis and I can't wait to make Rainbow Salsa. (thought that was a good name for it)

I planted my potatoes a few days ago. Planted 6 purple potatoes in the Table Top Gardens.
Planted 9 red and 9 russets in the raised block garden. I left 8 inches for adding straw and leaf soil mix on top of the potatoes. Can't wait to see how that turns out.

It has been a very busy and tiring week but a happy week.
Got the greenhouses cleaned out---no weeds, all swept, all organized and ready to start
filling containers and baskets for transplaning. Greenhouse supplies were shipped in and arrived yesterday which was most of the containers I been waiting on and 50 bales of 3.8 cu.ft compressed bales of growing medium.

The mobile home will be moved out Wednesday so we need to be moved out by Monday so we can disconnect everything.
I bought my kitchen base cabinets. I got 2 unfinished 6ft Oak base cabinets. One is for a sink.
I have been sanding, staining, varnishing. The stain is Golden Oak.
It is going to be crowded in our Tin Cabin but organized---on my behalf. Not sure how it is goin to be with son and husband. They hate it when i nag them about their clutter.
We got the toilet, shower, hot water heater all set and plumbed. We still have to set the kitchen sink----hubby waiting on me to say ===ok im finished with the varnish. The oak base that does not have a sink has an oak counter top made from a sheet of 3/4 inch Oak Plywood. Has the prettiest wood grain. It's getting extra varnish. I might take pictures of the oak cabinets.
The electrical outlets are all ran and electrical box in place.
We built son a bunk bed above the area where our bed will sit. His bunk bed plat form is 8 ft long. Enough room for a twin mattress and his TV and game system at head of bed. This made him a happy camper.

well, i think i better get off here-------got some severe weather coming in with tornado watches.

take care.
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 2/24/2011, 11:56 pm

Fresh peas on the table soon. cheers

Nasturtiums, potatoes and tomatoes, wow. I'm still at the indoor seedling point of this season

Very glad everything is going well in the Tin Cabin. Nice that you will have the basics for washing up, showers, etc. Will you have a full stove and refrigerator?

Hope your weather is not as severe as forcasted.

Take care
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 2/25/2011, 12:46 am

Wow, Carolyn, what a trooper you are! Sounds like you are setting up a great place for yourself. I'd like to see what you did with those cabinets. And peas already!!! I've got, um, ice? Smile

I did get my Baker Creek package today and I was hopping up and down like a little girl at Christmas. I got freebie carrots!!! That makes 4 kinds total, woot!

Please do keep safe.
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Just planning, thinking, waiting. - Page 7 Empty RE: Just planning, thinking, waiting

Post  Goosegirl 2/25/2011, 7:14 am

CarolynPhillips wrote:
well, i think i better get off here-------got some severe weather coming in with tornado watches.

take care.

I hope all is well with the weather. Our tornado season is still several months off, but I know how worrisome it can be.

TC
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 2/25/2011, 9:16 am

Yep. have space for our double door refrigerator with ice maker and the regular size stove. Even have room for the oak dinette. I can get all this stuff in there with a few shelves but it only leaves a narrow walk way around everything. Everyone will have to take their own turn getting up for a drink or what have ya.

My husband has fusions in his back and neck. A few brackets that hold his spine
together. The doctor has highly recommended that he not build a house
with landscape timbers due to all the sledge hammering. The house will
not be built with landscape timbers. But the living room and kitchen will have a half wall dividing the rooms and that half wall will be landscape timbers. Along with a few other ideas that will give it the cabin look. Thats a long ways off and I will save it for later.
I been figuring the cost of building supplies and calling around getting the best price---lowest price. Then we went and picked out a front door for the home. Solid unfinished oak with the side glass windows. The price of the front door cost more than all the framed in walls. (2x4s). Crazy! Just planning, thinking, waiting. - Page 7 116526

I have to varnish the cabinets this morning and I will take pictures. then I have to do some transplanting today. Arugala , Salad Burnet, Calandula, Crush Marigolds, Vinca, Wave Petunias and Impatiens. Then move some stuff. I think I need a powerful B-12 cause I just woke up and I am already tired.
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 2/25/2011, 11:34 am

BAD DOG ! Just planning, thinking, waiting. - Page 7 178156

Just planning, thinking, waiting. - Page 7 100_0587
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 2/25/2011, 11:39 am

oak sink base

Just planning, thinking, waiting. - Page 7 100_0593
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 2/25/2011, 11:45 am

6ft oak base cabinet

Just planning, thinking, waiting. - Page 7 100_0594
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 2/25/2011, 11:48 am

plans are to buy the oak wall cabinets and stain and varnish just like base cabinets for the house along with a few more base cabinets.

oak plywood counter top on base cabinet.

Just planning, thinking, waiting. - Page 7 100_0591
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 2/25/2011, 11:49 am

I wonder if dogs make good fertilizer???? I mean he dug his own hole and everything.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 2/25/2011, 11:56 am

Table Top Garden--------Snow peas that had been started in peat pellets. Picture taken a few days ago.

Just planning, thinking, waiting. - Page 7 100_0585
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 2/25/2011, 5:05 pm

Very nice, Carolyn! (And that is one bad, BAD doggie!!!)
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  Odd Duck 2/25/2011, 8:21 pm

That is exactly why my beds are completely surrounded by fence inside my own back yard!
Odd Duck

Female Posts : 327

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 2/28/2011, 11:10 pm

I , personally am not a dog fan. I am a cat fan. We have a stray female cat that showed up about a week ago----starving. I fed her well. Then realized --she is pregnant. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
We have moved into our Tin Cabin with our cat and chi-wa-wa and now a stray pg cat. Husband is lying in bed watching Megamind cartoon with a cat on each side snoozing. Wonder where I am goin to sleep Just planning, thinking, waiting. - Page 7 601593
Hubby said he is going to build the landscape timber house no matter what the docs say. We will just build it slowly. Don't over do it.

Meanwhile---the Tin Cabin kitchen window faces out at the raised bed veggie garden. I can see the whole thing while washing dishes and cooking. Isn't that where most women spend 25% of there time=====at the kitchen sink?
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7