Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Growing Mushrooms in the garden, on purpose! - Page 3 Toplef10Growing Mushrooms in the garden, on purpose! - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Growing Mushrooms in the garden, on purpose! - Page 3 I22gcj10Growing Mushrooms in the garden, on purpose! - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Growing Mushrooms in the garden, on purpose! - Page 3 Toplef10Growing Mushrooms in the garden, on purpose! - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Growing Mushrooms in the garden, on purpose! - Page 3 I22gcj10Growing Mushrooms in the garden, on purpose! - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener Today at 8:52 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Growing Mushrooms in the garden, on purpose!

+18
IJM dfw
Judy McConnell
Cajun Cappy
audrey.jeanne.roberts
Kelejan
sanderson
Marc Iverson
Turan
Grandpop
nycquilter
dsfin
plantoid
walshevak
newstart
Windsor.Parker
RoOsTeR
boffer
camprn
22 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Growing Mushrooms in the garden, on purpose! - Page 3 Empty Re: Growing Mushrooms in the garden, on purpose!

Post  Kelejan 2/27/2016, 6:08 pm

I hope you stay with us, LJM.  We never intend to offend anyone, only to help, especially if we think they may be beginners.

We are more likely to put off beginners if we treat them as though they know everything.

It reminds me of when I went to a local Family History meeting recently hoping for some guidance as I am new at it and wanted help with accessing the Ancestry.com site. I sat through a two hour meeting in a hot room being almost completely ignored and getting through the minutes of two past meetings then listening to a presentation of the Old Calendars (which I did appreciate) but went on and on. No questioning as to what I knew about researching etc. and how far I had got with ancestors. I had so many questions to ask that I knew would be easy for them to answer.  Very frustrating.

Will I return on March 7th? I just do not know, but I can relate to your frustration,
but there are many levels of expertise here and we try our best  to accommodate everyone.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Growing Mushrooms in the garden, on purpose! - Page 3 Empty Interesting stuff...

Post  Scorpio Rising 2/28/2016, 4:02 pm

OK, came across some intriguing information about fungus cultivation, and since I love my shrooms, I delved further. Always thought that growing mushrooms would entail dank basement activity, but turns out that there might be some spots in my yard that this could prove worthwhile!

http://www.motherearthnews.com/organic-gardening/grow-your-own-mushrooms-zmaz04onzsel.aspx?PageId=1

Might give it a try sometime! I have a shady area in my perennial garden where I have some hostas, and that might be the spot for an experiment! study
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8737

Back to top Go down

Growing Mushrooms in the garden, on purpose! - Page 3 Empty Re: Growing Mushrooms in the garden, on purpose!

Post  sanderson 2/29/2016, 1:16 am

Nice article and resources. I'm wondering why an indoor mushroom box can't be continuously fed. The mushrooms do drop their spores and it seems like they would recolonize.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21562

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 2/29/2016, 5:13 pm

sanderson wrote:Nice article and resources.  I'm wondering why an indoor mushroom box can't be continuously fed.  The mushrooms do drop their spores and it seems like they would recolonize.

The substrate becomes exhausted; there is no more food for the organism. That is why there is mushroom compost on the market, they sell the old substrate which is good humus , adds tilth to the garden soil, or in our case, Mel's mix.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Growing Mushrooms in the garden, on purpose! - Page 3 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 2/29/2016, 5:18 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:OK, came across some intriguing information about fungus cultivation, and since I love my shrooms, I delved further.  Always thought that growing mushrooms would entail dank basement activity, but turns out that there might be some spots in my yard that this could prove worthwhile!  

http://www.motherearthnews.com/organic-gardening/grow-your-own-mushrooms-zmaz04onzsel.aspx?PageId=1

Might give it a try sometime!  I have a shady area in my perennial garden where I have some hostas, and that might be the spot for an experiment! study

If you try it, lets us know. I have super shady hosta beds, too.
CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 2/29/2016, 6:53 pm

I definitely will, CC, it is kinda pricey to get started as I look into this further. Probably not this year, but a possible future endeavor?
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Growing Mushrooms in the garden, on purpose! - Page 3 Empty OK intriguing

Post  Scorpio Rising 2/29/2016, 7:26 pm

http://www.mushroom-appreciation.com/grow_mushrooms.html#sthash.8zHpbLCM.dpbs

Sounding more fun...... drooling
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Growing Mushrooms in the garden, on purpose! - Page 3 Empty Edible Mushrooms in ANSFG - Blewits!

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 11/5/2016, 10:23 pm

Relative to growing mushrooms in SFG on purpose, my (happy!) accidental mushroom experience may be helpful to others considering attempting to grow them intentional.

I've had multiple small unknown species pop up, both in the beds and on the paths, so some larger purple-ish ones popping up were initially unremarkable ... but after glancing at them several days in a row I realized they had obtained a familiar shape ....

Blewits are an edible species I learned to identify from an expert, but I'm only comfortable eating with a spore print to confirm ID (cut the stem off, place the cap off on half black/half white paper, cover to prevent drafts, spores drop from the gills and when enough fall out you can see what color they are - the black/white paper provides contrast regardless - fun to try at least once even if you don't plan on eating wild mushrooms.) (Do not eat wild mushrooms unless you are absolutely certain of the exact identification - preferably via training by an expert.) The pinkish beige spore print confirmed my ID and I've been enjoying eating these mushrooms (well cooked, and not too much at once of course.)

Growing Mushrooms in the garden, on purpose! - Page 3 Img_8112
(yes.. distracted by the beautiful background while trying to photograph some of the blewits...)

The blewits are growing in/around the bed that I had attempted to compost in for most of a growing season, and then gave up since nothing was happening, and put MM over the top this spring. The attempted compost was a mix of oak leaves, weeds, grass clippings, coffee grounds, and horse manure.
Growing Mushrooms in the garden, on purpose! - Page 3 Img_8113
An important part of ANSFG/SFG is spacing. But unlike plants, we don't have a say about where the top part of the fungus (the mushroom) will pop up. Since blewits fruit in the late fall, the mushrooms are only interfering somewhat with the brassicas and leeks remaining in the bed (the cukes, squash, and beans are done.) But with different timing or younger plants, these mushrooms popping up all over could disrupt/shade out young seedlings. Ergo, for intentional fungi in the SFG, you'll probably want a type of mushroom where you can keep the substrate in a limited space -- such as a log for oysters or shitakes -- and not a general compost growing species like blewits, portabellas, and store button mushrooms.

I'm uncertain about how far wood-chips growers like King Stropharia would travel from their substrate to fruit. Ideally, such a species would allow one to use one's wood-chipped paths both as paths, and for growing a crop...
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3