Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Growing Mushrooms in the garden, on purpose! Toplef10Growing Mushrooms in the garden, on purpose! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Growing Mushrooms in the garden, on purpose! I22gcj10Growing Mushrooms in the garden, on purpose! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Growing Mushrooms in the garden, on purpose! Toplef10Growing Mushrooms in the garden, on purpose! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Growing Mushrooms in the garden, on purpose! I22gcj10Growing Mushrooms in the garden, on purpose! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 2:25 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by Scorpio Rising Today at 2:05 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Growing Mushrooms in the garden, on purpose!

+18
IJM dfw
Judy McConnell
Cajun Cappy
audrey.jeanne.roberts
Kelejan
sanderson
Marc Iverson
Turan
Grandpop
nycquilter
dsfin
plantoid
walshevak
newstart
Windsor.Parker
RoOsTeR
boffer
camprn
22 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Growing Mushrooms in the garden, on purpose! Empty Growing Mushrooms in the garden, on purpose!

Post  camprn 1/1/2011, 8:54 pm

I love mushrooms! But I am not smart/knowledgeable about hunting up wild mushrooms.
I found this link about growing them. I thought I would share in the event anyone else out there would like to dabble in a different direction in the garden. Growing Mushrooms in the garden, on purpose! Mushroom-26
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Growing Mushrooms in the garden, on purpose! Empty Re: Growing Mushrooms in the garden, on purpose!

Post  boffer 1/1/2011, 10:17 pm

No siree, not me! It's been nearly 40 years since I saw Clint Eastwood in The Beguiled. Since then, I haven't eaten a mushroom unless it came from the grocery store!
(He got poisoned by mushrooms.)
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Growing Mushrooms in the garden, on purpose! Empty Re: Growing Mushrooms in the garden, on purpose!

Post  camprn 1/1/2011, 10:24 pm

OMG, I haven't seen that movie in ages! hmm, I wonder if it's on netflix.
I still like mushrooms, a lot! Very Happy
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 2/22/2012, 8:13 pm

BUMP.
Growing shiitake mushrooms

I found a fella right down the street who lives and breathes fungi. He is doing a workshop in a few weeks, I may just have to take this class. For $45, several hours of instruction and come away with an inoculated log...hmmm... I love mushrooms! Very Happy

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Growing Mushrooms in the garden, on purpose! WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 2/22/2012, 8:20 pm

I love mushrooms!

+1 And those shiitake logs are very cool! Take the class and give us a full review Growing Mushrooms in the garden, on purpose! 3170584802

Growing Mushrooms in the garden, on purpose! Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  Windsor.Parker 2/22/2012, 8:41 pm

My first and only attempt (so far) was 2 years back, and it was a total failure! A friend told me that my logs were too old. I love 'shrooms, too! So I'll likely give 'em another go, once I've got this ANSFG under control. Growing Mushrooms in the garden, on purpose! 240315
Windsor.Parker
Windsor.Parker

Male Posts : 381
Location : Chicago, South Shore, c. 100yds to Lake Michigan, Zone 6a

Back to top Go down

Post  newstart 2/23/2012, 9:43 am

there is a kit you can buy and grow mushrooms in your kitchen i think whole foods has it. around $20
newstart
newstart

Female Posts : 335

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 2/23/2012, 10:13 am

I knew I should have bookmarked the seed company that I linked in one of the threads. Had a kit for growing in the garden.

Territorial Seeds has some kits.

Kay

found it http://www.bountifulgardens.org/prodinfo.asp?number=SMU-9377

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 2/23/2012, 7:19 pm

I've cheated on more than several occasions by purchasing so called spent mushroom compost in a clear plastic bag identifying it as such .

One yer I purchased 120 bags for spreading over & rotortilling in to our 1/2 acre lawn that was in danger of being made .

I'd cottoned on to the fact that what i was buying was off the growing beds still in the bags with some of bits of its capping soils in it . It was supposed to have been sterilized to kill it off

I knew of an old trick , for I once many years ago I'd studied for a few months to become a mushroom farmer .

On taking it home & giving six bags a decent watering using a water can with a spray head rose .

Using a couple of gallons of salt water , made as one half of an ounce of salt in two gallongs of slightly warm water stirred till dissolved , then putting the rolled down bags in the dark warm cellar to see what came up after covering the bags with a fine net curtain to keep out any flies .

Most times we got mushrooms galore often giving away over 30 pounds or more each week to people at work .

One weekend we decided to have a " Gluttons Mushroomfest " and planned all sorts of stuff containing mushrooms

Breakfast was lightly scrambled egg with four 5 inch mushrooms gently fried ij clarified butter with baked beans in tomato sauce.

Lunch was lambs livers with onions laid on four large mushroms & asparagus

pudding was mushroom & evaportate canned milk whipped into a honey sweetened jelly and allowed to set

evening meal was 12 or so button mushrooms each started off frying them in clarified butter then put in a lidded pan with some boiling water wwith crunchy carrots , boiled new potatoes and some cold home cured ham

By nine o'clock that night were were feeling rough very very rough .. coiuldn't see properly and had a headache like a base drum banging away in the background accompanied by a pneumatic rock drill .

We still felt ,like it on the monday mor ning like death warmed up ,so we went to the doctors asking for advice.. you have mushroom posioning .. a blood test confirmed it when the results came back the next day .

Warning keep the cats away from the reactivated compost bags as they treat it as a challenge and spray their pee all over the bags and that is not a safe way to grow mushrooms for eating.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  dsfin 2/24/2012, 10:38 am

Another source for Mushroom growing. This one is from the PNW.

Fungi Perfecti - with Paul Stamets - http://www.fungi.com

---Dave
dsfin

Male Posts : 51

Back to top Go down

Post  nycquilter 2/24/2012, 1:25 pm

I agree with dsfin's reference. Paul Stamets is an absolutely amazing and knowledgeable mycologist. He is probably the #1 mycologist in the world. His web site is fascinating. I attended one of his lectures and I can't say enough good about him and the work he is doing.
nycquilter

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 2/24/2012, 5:54 pm

nycquilter wrote:I agree with dsfin's reference. Paul Stamets is an absolutely amazing and knowledgeable mycologist. He is probably the #1 mycologist in the world. His web site is fascinating. I attended one of his lectures and I can't say enough good about him and the work he is doing.
this fella I am taking class from was a student of Mr. Stamets and also has worked with him. Growing Mushrooms in the garden, on purpose! 679265

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Growing Mushrooms in the garden, on purpose! WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  Grandpop 4/19/2012, 3:33 pm

plantoid wrote:One weekend we decided to have a " Gluttons Mushroomfest " and planned all sorts of stuff containing mushrooms

Breakfast was lightly scrambled egg with four 5 inch mushrooms gently fried ij clarified butter with baked beans in tomato sauce.

Lunch was lambs livers with onions laid on four large mushroms & asparagus

pudding was mushroom & evaportate canned milk whipped into a honey sweetened jelly and allowed to set

evening meal was 12 or so button mushrooms each started off frying them in clarified butter then put in a lidded pan with some boiling water wwith crunchy carrots , boiled new potatoes and some cold home cured ham

By nine o'clock that night were were feeling rough very very rough .. coiuldn't see properly and had a headache like a base drum banging away in the background accompanied by a pneumatic rock drill .

We still felt ,like it on the monday mor ning like death warmed up ,so we went to the doctors asking for advice.. you have mushroom posioning .. a blood test confirmed it when the results came back the next day .

rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl

I like a good medium rare steak . . . but I can't eat half a cow in a day!

rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl
Grandpop
Grandpop

Male Posts : 79
Location : Newbern, TN, 7A, Extreme West Tn. - 15 Miles from Miss. River.

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 12/16/2014, 2:21 pm

I grew an oyster mushroom kit one winter.  I ended up putting half the innoculated sawdust under the broccoli and half in a corner in the green house.  We got several flushes of mushrooms over the summer but no sign since.  I keep hoping they are there waiting to pop up when the time is right.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 12/16/2014, 2:31 pm

I had an oyster mushroom-growing kit once. One day when I came back, I found its spores had taken flight and coated the rooms of my walls with mushroom dust. It was amazing how much there was from one tiny kit and how far they reached -- almost 20 feet on some surfaces. What an unholy mess.

Re Stamets, I read the free sample of one of his books and it was eye-opening. The way fungi colonize huge surfaces and underground space, and communicate with each other, is incredible.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/16/2014, 3:20 pm

Marc Iverson wrote:  The way fungi colonize huge surfaces and underground space, and communicate with each other, is incredible.

The movie Avatar
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 12/16/2014, 3:25 pm

Grandpop wrote:...
I like a good medium rare steak . . . but I can't eat half a cow in a day!..

Razz Good one, Grandpop!
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/16/2014, 3:29 pm

Boffer, That was an old post.

"Grandpop on Thu 19 Apr 2012 - 12:33"
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 12/16/2014, 3:38 pm

dangit

Thanks. I even looked at the posting dates because I didn't remember the thread!  Then totally spaced out when I went to write my post.  Maybe some lunch will help.
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 12/16/2014, 5:32 pm

Doesn't matter Boffer.  Grandpop may never know we appreciated his comment, but  it was still a good one.

Kay   sunny

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 12/16/2014, 5:50 pm

dsfin wrote:Another source for Mushroom growing.  This one is from the PNW.

Fungi Perfecti - with Paul Stamets - http://www.fungi.com

---Dave

I just tried to order an indoor growing pack and this is my answer.
Quote:
Hello,

Thank you for your recent order attempt online through Fungi Perfecti LLC. Unfortunately, we could not process your online order as entered since you are an international customer. Our online ordering system does not accommodate international customers because shipping cannot be accurately calculated.

*We now accept PayPal as a form of payment! Please direct payment through PayPal to: paypal-payments@fungi.com. If you do not have a PayPal account or do not wish to create one please contact us for a one-time payment request via PayPal. We also accept credit card payment over the phone during our business hours!

Below you will find the shipping option(s) that will be most economical for you;

Via USPS Global Priority, shipping will come to US $42.71
Delivery time will be about ( 6-10 ) business days. This service includes a tracking number.
The total for this method including shipping will come to US $  80.61    

Via USPS Express Mail International, shipping will come to US $63.68
Delivery time will be (3-5) Business days. This service includes a tracking number.
The total for this method including shipping will come to US $101.58

Via USPS Global Express Guaranteed, shipping will come to US $78.99
Delivery time will be (1-3) Business days. This service includes a tracking number.
The total for this method including shipping will come to US $116.89

Please be aware that additional duties, taxes, customs, or import brokerage fees may be applied to your order. You will be responsible for these costs!

We have attached a copy of your invoice for your review. Let us know if you have any questions .

Please advise if you would still like to proceed with this order. Your quote will stay valid for two weeks

Respectfully,

The Fungi Perfecti Customer Service Team

Info@fungi.com

Toll Free in the USA 1-800-780-9126

Phone: 360-426-9292

Fax: 360-426-9377

www.fungi.com
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 12/16/2014, 5:53 pm

Here are a few available in Canada. http://www.amazon.ca/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=mushroom+growing+kit&tag=googcana-20&index=aps&hvadid=29586525702&hvpos=1t2&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11286385667347702357&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=t&ref=pd_sl_6f86fu13hz_b

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/16/2014, 7:55 pm

OUCH!!!!! I've heard shipping to Canada can add insane amounts to the total.

Good luck!
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 12/17/2014, 12:14 am

camprn wrote:Here are a few available in Canada. http://www.amazon.ca/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=mushroom+growing+kit&tag=googcana-20&index=aps&hvadid=29586525702&hvpos=1t2&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11286385667347702357&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=t&ref=pd_sl_6f86fu13hz_b

Thank Camp, I will have a browse tomorrow.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/17/2014, 3:18 am

This forum setup is the strangest on post date I've ever seen, all it shows is the month and date.  You showed it with the year, but perhaps that's because you have an enhanced status as a mod?  It makes it really easy to miss that a post is really, REALLY old!
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next