Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Anyone catch Alton Brown's show on tomato? Toplef10Anyone catch Alton Brown's show on tomato? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Anyone catch Alton Brown's show on tomato? I22gcj10Anyone catch Alton Brown's show on tomato? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Anyone catch Alton Brown's show on tomato? Toplef10Anyone catch Alton Brown's show on tomato? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Anyone catch Alton Brown's show on tomato? I22gcj10Anyone catch Alton Brown's show on tomato? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener Today at 8:52 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Anyone catch Alton Brown's show on tomato?

+6
Bec
junequilt
camprn
LaFee
trustinhart
milaneyjane
10 posters

Go down

Anyone catch Alton Brown's show on tomato? Empty Anyone catch Alton Brown's show on tomato?

Post  milaneyjane 7/20/2010, 2:38 pm

http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/Season6/Tomato2/Tomato2Trans.htm

EXCELLENT!!! I love how he breaks down the science of everything! He talked about the different varieties, when to pick, refrigeration, and best of all had some GREAT recipes. He had a fabulous looking baked tomato sauce recipe. I found this link to the show if you would like to read it. Not sure if the show is airing again this week.

Last edited by milaneyjane on 7/20/2010, 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
milaneyjane
milaneyjane

Back to top Go down

Anyone catch Alton Brown's show on tomato? Empty Alton Brown

Post  trustinhart 7/20/2010, 2:57 pm

Don't you just love him???, even DH watches him.
trustinhart
trustinhart

Female Posts : 165

Back to top Go down

Anyone catch Alton Brown's show on tomato? Empty Re: Anyone catch Alton Brown's show on tomato?

Post  LaFee 7/20/2010, 3:48 pm

A smart, funny, oh-so-slightly-geeky man who can cook?

Anyone catch Alton Brown's show on tomato? Herz Anyone catch Alton Brown's show on tomato? 803620
LaFee

Female Posts : 1023

Back to top Go down

Anyone catch Alton Brown's show on tomato? Empty Re: Anyone catch Alton Brown's show on tomato?

Post  camprn 7/20/2010, 3:55 pm

LaFee wrote:A smart, funny, oh-so-slightly-geeky man who can cook?
Anyone catch Alton Brown's show on tomato? Herz Anyone catch Alton Brown's show on tomato? 803620
rofl
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Anyone catch Alton Brown's show on tomato? Empty I love Alton Brown!

Post  junequilt 7/20/2010, 4:07 pm

I,too, love to watch Alton Brown's shows -- he gives so much information. I think I saw the tomato one a while ago and will have to see if I can catch it again.

We also love The Mothership Tomato Salad from Jamie at Home. http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/jamie-oliver/the-mothership-tomato-salad-recipe/index.html
junequilt
junequilt

Back to top Go down

Post  Bec 7/20/2010, 4:28 pm

Well! I guess I need to find out who Alton Brown is! Anyone catch Alton Brown's show on tomato? Icon_redface
Bec

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 247

Back to top Go down

Post  junequilt 7/20/2010, 4:46 pm

He has a show called "Good Eats" on the Food Network. He's also featured on a couple of their other shows, but Good Eats is the one we're talking about.
junequilt
junequilt

Back to top Go down

Post  Bec 7/20/2010, 4:53 pm

Thanks. I'll watch for it.
Bec

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 247

Back to top Go down

Post  Blackrose 7/20/2010, 5:28 pm

DH loves Alton Brown! He has tried many of his recipes and loves the way he explains things so thoroughly. I will have to check out this particular episode.

Anyone catch Alton Brown's show on tomato? 109486
Blackrose
Blackrose

Female Posts : 710

Back to top Go down

Post  auntij 7/20/2010, 11:00 pm

If ever you get a chance to try out his "Who loves ya baby back ribs" they are sooooo good!! We used apple cider instead of sherry (I think that's what it was LOL)
auntij

Female Posts : 136

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee 7/21/2010, 1:46 am

That is a *killer* rib recipe...you could always finish them on the grill, just to give them a "grill flavor".

His recipes *always* work...and the show tells you why. I have an inner geek who comes out in force when it comes to WHY a recipe works the way it does!
LaFee

Back to top Go down

Post  Odd Duck 7/21/2010, 9:34 am

Has anyone checked out America's Test Kitchen on PBS? They also have a website and a companion website (and magazine) called Cooks Illustrated. All are worth a look.

They also explain why a recipe adjustment works and why it doesn't. They try to perfect a recipe - make the best possible chocolate cake, for instance - while making it as simple as possible without losing any flavor/texture, etc.

Some of their recipes are a bit complicated, but some are super simple, you just have to look. Cook's Illlustrated website has some free recipes (as well as equipment testing results, etc) but it's only $20.00 a year to join for full access to all recipes, equipment tests, etc. They also test things like ketchup, BBQ sauce, chocolate, soy sauce, etc, so well worth the money IMHO.

http://www.cooksillustrated.com/cpa/3/2/default.asp?extcode=K00MDAC00

Last edited by Odd Duck on 7/21/2010, 9:35 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add link)
Odd Duck

Female Posts : 327

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/21/2010, 11:03 am

Odd Duck wrote:Has anyone checked out America's Test Kitchen on PBS? They also have a website and a companion website (and magazine) called Cooks Illustrated. All are worth a look. They also test things like ketchup, BBQ sauce, chocolate, soy sauce, etc, so well worth the money IMHO.

http://www.cooksillustrated.com/cpa/3/2/default.asp?extcode=K00MDAC00
YES! Great show! I like their equipment reviews as well.
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  auntij 7/21/2010, 11:46 am

Oh yeah that is another of our favorites. We have a couple of their cookbooks. Really good stuff. We also like "Down Home with the Neelys" they have these spicy chicken wings that are to die for! I tweak a little but that was only after making them per directions first.
auntij

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee 7/21/2010, 1:27 pm

The only thing I don't like about CI is their tendency to be overwhelmed by their own importance.

I've made many of their recipes...and have found time and time again that the results are good, but not any better than my other recipes for similar goodies -- and their recipes are just so darned twiddly that I don't want to deal with it all. My blueberry muffin recipe from Better Homes & Gardens didn't taste a lick different than their best blueberry muffins ever (or something like that) -- and I fooled around for most of a Sunday morning with their recipe.
LaFee

Back to top Go down

Post  Odd Duck 7/21/2010, 5:37 pm

Yeah, they can be . . . twiddly (I like that term Anyone catch Alton Brown's show on tomato? Icon_smile ). But they also sometimes have super simple recipes - like using half and half soysauce to real maple syrup as a quick marinade for salmon (reserving some for glazing during cooking). As easy as it gets and delicious on other fish as well.

Sometimes I just use their "enhancements" to help out other recipes, like adding just a bit of cocoa powder to a brand of box brownies that I know usually turn out a bit dense (it makes them a bit more "cakey" and more dark chocolately when I add about 1 T per box mix). With mixes that aren't too dense for my taste, I add about 1 T butter along with a T of cocoa powder to balance out moisture/fat and still get more chocolate punch. Can you tell I like dark chocolate? Anyone catch Alton Brown's show on tomato? Icon_lol
Odd Duck

Female Posts : 327

Back to top Go down

Post  SFG in Chicago 7/21/2010, 8:22 pm

LaFee wrote:The only thing I don't like about CI is their tendency to be overwhelmed by their own importance.

I've made many of their recipes...and have found time and time again that the results are good, but not any better than my other recipes for similar goodies -- and their recipes are just so darned twiddly that I don't want to deal with it all. My blueberry muffin recipe from Better Homes & Gardens didn't taste a lick different than their best blueberry muffins ever (or something like that) -- and I fooled around for most of a Sunday morning with their recipe.

I agree with you 100%. I also tried that blueberry muffin recipe and it really wasn't any better than others I've made.
SFG in Chicago

Female Posts : 110

http://www.glassfever.net

Back to top Go down

Post  auntij 7/21/2010, 8:27 pm

their cinnamon buns are AMAZING!!! and super easy
auntij

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down