Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Why Does It Take So Much Longer For The Browns Toplef10Why Does It Take So Much Longer For The Browns 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Why Does It Take So Much Longer For The Browns I22gcj10Why Does It Take So Much Longer For The Browns 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Why Does It Take So Much Longer For The Browns Toplef10Why Does It Take So Much Longer For The Browns 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Why Does It Take So Much Longer For The Browns I22gcj10Why Does It Take So Much Longer For The Browns 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:08 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 Yesterday at 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 4:46 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Yesterday at 4:36 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Yesterday at 4:30 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:34 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:31 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson 5/10/2024, 2:06 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Why Does It Take So Much Longer For The Browns

+3
WardinWake
The Cat's Other Mother
kurango
7 posters

Go down

Why Does It Take So Much Longer For The Browns Empty Why Does It Take So Much Longer For The Browns

Post  kurango 5/19/2011, 9:04 pm

Can someone tell me why it takes so much longer for the browns to compost?

I would have compost if it were not for the browns because that is what I can ID. Leaves, pine needles, cardboard etc.

TIA,
kurango
kurango

Back to top Go down

Why Does It Take So Much Longer For The Browns Empty Re: Why Does It Take So Much Longer For The Browns

Post  The Cat's Other Mother 5/19/2011, 9:12 pm

No idea. Maybe not as many things are willing to eat the browns? Pine needles take forever, though. I've given up on them.
The Cat's Other Mother

Female Posts : 146

Back to top Go down

Why Does It Take So Much Longer For The Browns Empty Re: Why Does It Take So Much Longer For The Browns

Post  WardinWake 5/19/2011, 9:45 pm

kurango wrote:Can someone tell me why it takes so much longer for the browns to compost?

I would have compost if it were not for the browns because that is what I can ID. Leaves, pine needles, cardboard etc.

TIA,
kurango

Howdy:

A hot compost pile can have compost in as little as two weeks. To get a hot pile you can follow Mel's 4M method of composting. It is found in the "ALL NEW Square Foot Gardening" book starting on page 92.

The "4M's" stand for Mix, Mash, Moisten, Move. When properly worked your browns and greens will turn into Black Gold in short order.

When I have had problems with the brown material not composting as quickly as the greens it was due to low moisture in the pile. Greens by their very nature will have more moisture in them then the browns. Sometimes we have to help nature out by adding additional moisture to the pile when we turn it.

God Bless, Ward and Mary.
WardinWake
WardinWake

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 935

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/19/2011, 9:48 pm

+1 Very Happy
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  kurango 5/19/2011, 11:52 pm

Howdy:

A hot compost pile can have compost in as little as two weeks. To get a hot pile you can follow Mel's 4M method of composting. It is found in the "ALL NEW Square Foot Gardening" book starting on page 92.

The "4M's" stand for Mix, Mash, Moisten, Move. When properly worked your browns and greens will turn into Black Gold in short order.

When I have had problems with the brown material not composting as quickly as the greens it was due to low moisture in the pile. Greens by their very nature will have more moisture in them then the browns. Sometimes we have to help nature out by adding additional moisture to the pile when we turn it.

Ya I have been doing the 4M method. Turning the 3x3 pile every other day, by hand. Meaning . . . I fluff it a lot, tear up anything that looks it is not decomposing fast enough. All the cardboard went through the paper shredder, it is the 2nd time the pine needles have been in the mix plus I keep cutting them smaller hoping they will someday compost. The leaves are either very small or chopped up smaller than I have seen others.

I have an old candy thermometer that I use to take its temp. which is usually approximately 150, which is hot enough, maybe too hot.

I will try watering it more.

Thanks for your suggestions,
kurango
kurango

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss M 5/20/2011, 1:41 am

Is grass hay brown or green? Mine's mostly a very light tan color. Why Does It Take So Much Longer For The Browns 680166

If I cut my grass, and let it dry before putting it in, is it still green, even though it's still got a good bit of green color? :?:
Miss M

http://sithrahfarm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  WardinWake 5/20/2011, 5:33 am

kurango wrote:

Howdy:

Ya I have been doing the 4M method. Turning the 3x3 pile every other day, by hand. Meaning . . . I fluff it a lot, tear up anything that looks it is not decomposing fast enough. All the cardboard went through the paper shredder, it is the 2nd time the pine needles have been in the mix plus I keep cutting them smaller hoping they will someday compost. The leaves are either very small or chopped up smaller than I have seen others.

I have an old candy thermometer that I use to take its temp. which is usually approximately 150, which is hot enough, maybe too hot.

I will try watering it more.

Thanks for your suggestions,
kurango

Kurango:

To check for proper moisture level reach into the middle of the pile and pull out a handful and give it a squeeze. If a few drops of water are squeezed out you are just right. It sounds like you are on the way to a very good and wonderful compost. Your pile size is good and your fluffing and turning rate is great.

WardinWake
WardinWake

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  WardinWake 5/20/2011, 5:36 am

Miss M wrote:Is grass hay brown or green? Mine's mostly a very light tan color. Why Does It Take So Much Longer For The Browns 680166

If I cut my grass, and let it dry before putting it in, is it still green, even though it's still got a good bit of green color? :?:

Miss M:

If you let fresh cut grass dry for one to two days it is still considered a green. If your pile is on the dry side you can go ahead and mix in the fresh cut grass without waiting. Just be sure to mix it with the other ingredients in the compost.

WardinWake
WardinWake

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss M 5/21/2011, 10:53 am

WardinWake wrote:Miss M:

If you let fresh cut grass dry for one to two days it is still considered a green. If your pile is on the dry side you can go ahead and mix in the fresh cut grass without waiting. Just be sure to mix it with the other ingredients in the compost.

Thank you, I appreciate it! I have some grass that I let dry for two to three days before collecting it as hay for my rabbits. Then I also have some hay that I bought. Some of both end up dropped through, and cannot be reused for the rabbits, so I'm composting it. I take it from your answer that my grass could be considered green, though some of it I left out a day too long. And my bought hay would be brown, since I am sure that stuff is allowed to dry a good bit longer. What a Face
Miss M

http://sithrahfarm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 5/21/2011, 12:48 pm

MissM, if you are using hay and not straw in your compost, you may end up with a lot of weeds/grass growing in your compost and then in your MM.

Hay has seed heads

Straw is just the stems
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  kurango 5/22/2011, 2:38 am

Dear Ward and Mary,

I made the pile nice and moist just like you wrote. . .

To check for proper moisture level reach into the middle of the pile and
pull out a handful and give it a squeeze. If a few drops of water are
squeezed out you are just right.

But now I have no heat! Dang!
thinking

kurango
kurango

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 5/22/2011, 2:49 am

kurango, I also turned my compost pile today and found it rather dry, so watered it as I went along.

You will not feel any extra heat for a little while as it has to build up. I suggest checking the temperature every day then you will see progress from when you started.

I will have to dig out my candy thermometer. Let's see who reaches top first.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 5/22/2011, 3:16 pm

[quote="Kelejan".

I will have to dig out my candy thermometer. Let's see who reaches top first.[/quote]

I could not find my candy thermometer, only the plastic container it came in so today I went and bought another at Canadian Tire. It took ages as no one seemed to understand when I talked about testing the temperature of my compost pile. They sure need some compost education, lol. In the end I bought a BBQ
thermometer and now it is stuck in my compost pile and reads a measley 75F.

I will have to see if I am right about it taking a few days to warm up. It has been raining all night and so far today, quite steady and cool. Should let up tomorrow and a bit of sun, then rain the rest of the week.

My compost pile is four foot square (four more SFG beds in waiting) but the compost itself is only two feet deep, I need to fill it a bit more to be able to build a decent heat.

ETA: Looks like I will ahve to find out how to "quote" properly. I'll get there.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down