Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Black Plastic Mulch under tomatoes? Toplef10Black Plastic Mulch under tomatoes? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Black Plastic Mulch under tomatoes? I22gcj10Black Plastic Mulch under tomatoes? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Black Plastic Mulch under tomatoes? Toplef10Black Plastic Mulch under tomatoes? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Black Plastic Mulch under tomatoes? I22gcj10Black Plastic Mulch under tomatoes? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Black Plastic Mulch under tomatoes?

3 posters

Go down

Black Plastic Mulch under tomatoes? Empty Black Plastic Mulch under tomatoes?

Post  1chichi 6/6/2010, 12:57 am

I used this Black Plastic Mulch in a bed w/ tomatoes in it and
in my SFG too (I used cedar mulch to cover it in my SFG).
It's supposed to allow water through it, but I noticed w/out the cedar on top, quite bit of water rolls down to the sides before it gets a chance to absorb through it.
I think I read somewhere that in hot climates it shouldn't be used as it creates more heat. I don't need more heat, as it was in the upper 90's today.
Does anyone have any experience w/ this Black Plastic Mulch?
I was hoping I wouldn't have to cover this whole bed w/ cedar mulch.
The plastic does a good job keeping the weeds out.
* I didn't get the soaker hose until after I laid the plastic mulch down.
Black Plastic Mulch under tomatoes? Big_r_10

Black Plastic Mulch under tomatoes? Fence_10
1chichi
1chichi

Back to top Go down

Black Plastic Mulch under tomatoes? Empty Re: Black Plastic Mulch under tomatoes?

Post  boffer 6/6/2010, 9:58 am

I use black plastic as mulch specifically because it helps increase soil temperature, and it works.

As far as allowing water through, double check that there's no inside out and outside in. Some products will allow moisture to flow through from one side and not the other. Would covering the soaker hose with grass clippings be an option?
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Black Plastic Mulch under tomatoes? Empty black plastic mulch

Post  ander217 6/6/2010, 7:14 pm

We've used black plastic mulch in our row garden many times over the years, mainly under tomatoes because as Boffer said, it warms the soil up faster and we didn't like pulling weeds. We never used the kind that allowed water to pass through, we just made holes here and there in it to allow water to drain through, and we never had any problem with getting enough water to the soil.

When the temps get up in the high 90s tomatoes stop producing, and the black plastic probably hastened that time, but we were usually ready for a little slack time in harvest anyway by then. We never hit a period where we were completely without tomatoes.

In late summer the plants would start producing again.
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Black Plastic Mulch under tomatoes? Empty Re: Black Plastic Mulch under tomatoes?

Post  1chichi 6/6/2010, 9:51 pm

boffer wrote:I use black plastic as mulch specifically because it helps increase soil temperature, and it works.

As far as allowing water through, double check that there's no inside out and outside in. Some products will allow moisture to flow through from one side and not the other. Would covering the soaker hose with grass clippings be an option?

Uh oh...I thought it was laid down correctly, but I'm not 100% sure. I'll check this tomorrow.Thanks!

I can't collect grass clippings, it gets mulched into the grass by the lawn mower.

Maybe, it should only be used for cool weather crops in the south. I may just cut it down the midddle and peel it back from the center of the bed. That way it can just keep weeds down on the border of plants.
Then I'll have to get more shredded cedar to go down the center of the bed.
1chichi
1chichi

Back to top Go down

Post  1chichi 6/6/2010, 9:59 pm

ander217 wrote:.

When the temps get up in the high 90s tomatoes stop producing, and the black plastic probably hastened that time, but we were usually ready for a little slack time in harvest anyway by then. We never hit a period where we were completely without tomatoes.

In late summer the plants would start producing again.
Thanks! I didn't know they stopped when it was in the 90's.
YIKES, I may need shade cloth soon, because it's been close to 100 degrees lately.
I'm going to have to open up that black plastic. In the fall, I can plant a cool weather crop in that bed and just fold the plastic back to the middle.
1chichi
1chichi

Back to top Go down

Black Plastic Mulch under tomatoes? Empty black plastic mulch

Post  ander217 6/7/2010, 8:07 am

I think it's actually high night-time temperatures which cause tomato blossoms to fail to set fruit. Usually day temps above 95 and night temps above 75 for extended periods can cause problems. Here that usually begins in mid-July. (Maybe we need to add an a/c to our gardens in the hot and humid Upper South!) Black Plastic Mulch under tomatoes? Icon_smile

There are heat-tolerant varieties that can be grown, or you can wait for cooler temps to allow the flowers to fruit again, or you could probably add an organic mulch on top of the plastic which should serve to cool it down. The plastic does help keep the ground moist underneath. This year I am growing my tomatoes on a trellis on the north side of my garden, and the bed three feet south of them is growing corn. I'm hoping the corn will provide enough shade during the hot summer to keep my tomatoes happy.

As I said before, the green tomatoes that have already set when high temps hit will go ahead and develop - take care that they don't sunscald. It's just that during those dog days you don't get many flowers that set new fruit.
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down