Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Mulching with Black Plastic - Question Toplef10Mulching with Black Plastic - Question 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Mulching with Black Plastic - Question I22gcj10Mulching with Black Plastic - Question 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Mulching with Black Plastic - Question Toplef10Mulching with Black Plastic - Question 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Mulching with Black Plastic - Question I22gcj10Mulching with Black Plastic - Question 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Today at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Today at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:55 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:53 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm Yesterday at 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Mulching with Black Plastic - Question

+7
Turan
Marc Iverson
FamilyGardening
boffer
meatburner
sanderson
rabbithutch
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Mulching with Black Plastic - Question Empty Mulching with Black Plastic - Question

Post  rabbithutch 2/23/2014, 9:13 pm

If the purpose of mulching is to slow evaporation and to warm the soil, why wouldn't black plastic be ideal?  Seems to me that stretching plastic over the beds before delineating the squares would be quite easy.  Then slits in the areas you transplant or plant you seeds and Bob is your mother's brother.  When the plastic gets too rent by cutting slits, it would be easy enough to remove and replace; and even replacing it once a year would not be too expensive.

What do you think?  What have I missed?
rabbithutch
rabbithutch

Male Posts : 293

Back to top Go down

Mulching with Black Plastic - Question Empty Re: Mulching with Black Plastic - Question

Post  sanderson 2/23/2014, 9:42 pm

I'm in a hot zone. If I used black plastic over the MM, I would have steamed veggies! This is what I think. Mulching with a plant product (wood chips, bark chips, straw, pine needles, etc.) slows evaporation, but its main value is that it shades the soil from the sun. The roots are kept cool. You can also move the mulch aside and check out the plant stem and see what insect, larva, may be lurking around it.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Mulching with Black Plastic - Question Empty Re: Mulching with Black Plastic - Question

Post  meatburner 2/23/2014, 9:45 pm

And you are nearly eliminating the most precious ingredient to any garden...rainfall.  Nothing will perk up anything growing better than rainfall.  Sanderson is spot on as well. JMO.
meatburner
meatburner

Male Posts : 362

Back to top Go down

Post  rabbithutch 2/23/2014, 9:46 pm

sanderson wrote:I'm in a hot zone.  If I used black plastic over the MM, I would have steamed  veggies!  This is what I think.  Mulching with a plant product (wood chips, bark chips, straw, pine needles, etc.) slows evaporation, but its main value is that it shades the soil from the sun.  The roots are kept cool.  You can also move the mulch aside and check out the plant stem and see what insect, larva, may be lurking around it.

Yes, that makes a great deal of sense.  I, too, am in a hot zone.  A couple or 3 years ago we had over a hundred triple digit days and one period of more than 2 months with triple digits every day.  That would certainly overheat the soil.

The good news is that I went to a local home and garden expo today and found sources for mulch and for compost!!   carrot
rabbithutch
rabbithutch

Male Posts : 293

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 2/23/2014, 9:57 pm

In my cool climate I use black plastic just as Rabbithutch suggested.  I love the stuff.  

However, I did learn the hard way not to plant corn seeds under it.  The plastic provided warmth, dryness, and safe working conditions for the field mice who ate 95% of my corn seeds one spring!
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 2/23/2014, 10:08 pm

boffer wrote:In my cool climate I use black plastic just as Rabbithutch suggested.  I love the stuff.  

However, I did learn the hard way not to plant corn seeds under it.  The plastic provided warmth, dryness, and safe working conditions for the field mice who ate 95% of my corn seeds one spring!
Boffer since our climate it pretty much the same  Very Happy would black plastic help with trying to grow melons? and if it would .....how much black plastic would you suggest we use around the plant?  does it help with tomatoes?

Im thinking those two things is what we would use the most with for heat loving veggies....is there any other veggies or fruits you have used the black plastic with and found better results by using it?

hugs
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 2/23/2014, 10:24 pm

I don't know if we could get our soil too hot!  I think that any warm season crop would benefit.  I know that it helps my squashes grow better than in boxes.  Here's a couple squashes next to a trellis.

Mulching with Black Plastic - Question Dscn2610

I used black plastic in lieu of 'hilling' potatoes last year.  It was easy, and I only got a few taters with green ends.

Mulching with Black Plastic - Question Dscn2611
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 2/23/2014, 10:28 pm

thanks so much Boffer for the pics! now I have an idea of how you use the black plastic....do you buy it by the roll at one of the big box hardware stores?....if we were going to use it in a smaller area....could we use a black plastic bag that is used for collecting leaves and such?

thanks again
hugs
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 2/23/2014, 10:41 pm

I always have a roll of 6 mil plastic around, in black and clear.  Big box stores have them.

Black plastic bags will work fine if you don't walk on them.  

You can find lots of discussions on the net  about what color mulch works best for tomatoes: black, clear, red, or other.  I have no clue if there's a difference.
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 2/23/2014, 10:45 pm

thanks again boffer! I really appreciate all the time you take to help us out!!  we will keep ya posted on how it works out for us  Very Happy I want to give it a try for melons at least

hugs
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 2/23/2014, 10:59 pm

You also restrict soil oxygenation with black plastic.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 2/24/2014, 12:34 am

In Inland SanDeigo county I routinely planted corn and squash through a black plastic. I ran drip hose down the rows first for watering. We did not get summer rain there. It did not seem to bother the plants at all, but corn likes heat and as the season progressed provided its own root shade. Here in Montana I plant tomatoes and squash and such through black plastic, even in the green house. Anything to help warm the soil.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/24/2014, 1:45 am

Boffer, It looks like you have some sizable "breathing / planting" holes in the plastic. Plus the cooler earth is below the compost. I see why it works
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 2/24/2014, 9:09 am

Marc Iverson wrote:You also restrict soil oxygenation with black plastic.  

How do I measure soil oxygenation?
At what levels does it become a problem?
What are the symptoms?
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 2/24/2014, 9:15 am

boffer wrote:
Marc Iverson wrote:You also restrict soil oxygenation with black plastic.  

How do I measure soil oxygenation?
At what levels does it become a problem?
What are the symptoms?
yes please, do you have a link to a page that explains this Mark?
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 2/24/2014, 11:09 am

I've used plastic to warm up a bed or two after a long, snowy winter and it works well.
It also helps with a rainy spring, keeping the torrents from making my beds a mire of mud so I can plant earlier.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/24/2014, 12:44 pm

I wish I could try one hill, Boffer.  You've got me curious.  Of course, I can't, as the new compost bin got the last spot left in the tiny back yard  I got to thinking about what the local farmers do, they have long elevated rows of black plastic for the strawberries.

Last edited by sanderson on 2/24/2014, 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : sentence correction)
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 2/24/2014, 3:24 pm

One of our OSU lecturers told us that a few weeks ago. We weren't supplied links on it, but Oregon State University, under whose auspices the Master Gardener's program is conducted, has a lot of material online.

Next time I'm doing greenhouse hours, I'll try to remember to ask about measuring soil oxygenation. There's a mentor there who was authorized by the program to do soil tests, and also runs a side business doing custom testing. I"m not sure whether people ever ask him about soil oxygenation, but it would be interesting to hear it straight from the horse's mouth, if so.

All I can do is pass on what I hear in our lectures and read in our textbook, but I'm no agricultural scientist myself.

Our lecturer did say that black plastic became a big new thing in the 70's, but that the science has moved well on from endorsing it. And he IS an agricultural scientist.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 2/24/2014, 5:17 pm

Thanks Mark. I'm glad you are learning a lot in your MG classes but it is always helpful to post a link for those of us left wonder. I often try to post links so that others may learn.

Here is a link that offers some pros and cons of various mulches including black plastic.
http://www.ext.colostate.edu/mg/gardennotes/715.html

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Mulching with Black Plastic - Question WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch 2/24/2014, 5:45 pm

the soil needs to air out...black plastic mulch has disappeared from the landscape industry in favor of other material that breathes...lets air and water pass through.
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 2/24/2014, 6:55 pm

From camp's link:
...The plastic fluttering in the wind pumps air into the soil. However, covering the plastic with organic mulch like grass clippings or chips could reduce soil oxygen levels...

Interesting...
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Mulching with Black Plastic - Question Empty mulches

Post  kauairosina 2/24/2014, 7:07 pm

that Colorado site is a jewel.  I had to bookmark it to go back and read more later. Very Happy
kauairosina
kauairosina

Female Posts : 656

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/24/2014, 8:06 pm

The site said to NOT use wood chips or bark in the beds! But at least it explained why. My take is to read scientific or expect articles keeping in mind the method one uses (SFG).
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 2/25/2014, 12:53 am

boffer wrote:From camp's link:
...The plastic fluttering in the wind pumps air into the soil. However, covering the plastic with organic mulch like grass clippings or chips could reduce soil oxygen levels...

Interesting...

The plastic fluttering pumps air into how much of the soil? Compared to how much air it blocks?

I haven't seen a lot of fluttering in the plastic sheeting I've seen. It's been put down pretty tight and the openings were pretty small.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 2/25/2014, 11:37 am

Marc Iverson wrote:
boffer wrote:From camp's link:
...The plastic fluttering in the wind pumps air into the soil.  However, covering the plastic with organic mulch like grass clippings or chips could reduce soil oxygen levels...

Interesting...

The plastic fluttering pumps air into how much of the soil?  Compared to how much air it blocks?

I haven't seen a lot of fluttering in the plastic sheeting I've seen.  It's been put down pretty tight and the openings were pretty small.  

Beats me! The wording makes it sound like it's a cheap air compressor!

boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next