Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Compost situation Toplef10Compost situation 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Compost situation I22gcj10Compost situation 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Compost situation Toplef10Compost situation 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Compost situation I22gcj10Compost situation 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 6:17 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 5/6/2024, 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Compost situation

2 posters

Go down

Compost situation Empty Compost situation

Post  goodtogrow 5/19/2022, 6:58 pm

I've been using my compost tumbler for about 2-3 months now and I've gone through a few ups and downs with it.

Recently I added some pine animal bedding pellets.  However, it ended up being too much brown (it expanded to be about 2/3 of the total compost).  During that time, the previous compost (1/3 of the tumbler) was beneath that pellet sawdust.  I wasn't sure what to do so I just kept adding greens in the form of food scraps and coffee grinds.  But I think the compost beneath that was semi-done but went anaerobic.

I removed a bit of the sawdust and kept adding greens.  But now, after having tumbled it a few times over the past couple of weeks I've noticed that the compost that was beneath the sawdust has basically become little balled-up clumps of stuff - primarily made up of small leaves that still haven't decomposed, and other mushy food stuff (misc greens).  At least they are damp, so moisture levels seem okay.  When I break those little clumps up, they smell strongly ammonia-like and putrid.  Seems to be the "anaerobic" smell.

I broke up as many of the clumps as I could find and used a hand trowel-rake to mix the compost up as much as I could and tumbled it another dozen times or so to better aerate it.  I've also read that those pine bedding pellets, after they've expanded, should be more of a 1:1 mix with the greens since they take longer than other browns to decompose (due to their higher N:C ratio).

I'm guessing I should add more browns.  However, does this end up properly killing off the "bad" (anaerobic) microbes and encourage good ones, or is there something else I should do to facilitate "good" microbe production?

For example, would it be wise to add in some kelp meal liquid and maybe even some worm castings at this point in an attempt to kick-start the good microbes, or would that just feed the bad microbes?
goodtogrow
goodtogrow

Male Posts : 94

Back to top Go down

Compost situation Empty Re: Compost situation

Post  OhioGardener 5/19/2022, 7:29 pm

goodtogrow wrote:I'm guessing I should add more browns.  However, does this end up properly killing off the "bad" (anaerobic) microbes and encourage good ones, or is there something else I should do to facilitate "good" microbe production?

For example, would it be wise to add in some kelp meal liquid and maybe even some worm castings at this point in an attempt to kick-start the good microbes, or would that just feed the bad microbes?

Doesn't sound like it needs more browns if the majority of the contents is already browns.  You should not need either kelp meal or worm castings in the compost.  If it were me, I'd break up as much of the balls of greens as possible, and tumble to mix. If there is still too much brown to the amount of greens, add some alfalfa meal and tumble again to jump start it.

Those balls of uncomposted material normally form because it was too wet.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4538

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

sanderson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  goodtogrow 5/19/2022, 9:12 pm

Thanks.

I removed a lot of the browns, though, so I don't think there are too many browns anymore.  And I've added more greens since then, as well (especially coffee grounds).

Why does alfalfa meal jump start the process, in particular?  Does it have something specific in it?

Thanks again, OhioGardener.
goodtogrow
goodtogrow

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 5/19/2022, 9:29 pm

goodtogrow wrote:Why does alfalfa meal jump start the process, in particular?  Does it have something specific in it?

From some of my old notes on composting:

Alfalfa meal is made by fermenting adult plants and seeds of the alfalfa plant. It works by using micro-bacteria to breakdown elements in the organic matter. This accelerates decomposition of the trace minerals contained in the meal. Rhizobacteria found in the meal continue to process the nutrients it contains.

Alfalfa meal's NPK ratio is 3-0.5-3.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  goodtogrow 5/20/2022, 12:55 am

Thanks, OG.  I'll see if I can find some.  I still have some "compost accelerator", and have used it, but I'm not sure what's in it.

OhioGardener wrote:NPK ratio is 3-0.5-3.

I'm curious, I've not seen NPK expressed like that - usually only as 3 numbers, such as "5-7-0".  Is "NPK ratio" another way of describing how much Nitrogen/Phosphorous/Potassium something contains?
goodtogrow
goodtogrow

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 5/20/2022, 8:45 am

goodtogrow wrote:
OhioGardener wrote:NPK ratio is 3-0.5-3.

I'm curious, I've not seen NPK expressed like that - usually only as 3 numbers, such as "5-7-0".  Is "NPK ratio" another way of describing how much Nitrogen/Phosphorous/Potassium something contains?

That is expressed in the standard 3 NPK numbers, it is just that the middle number, "P", is 1/2 (0.5) as opposed to a whole number.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  goodtogrow 5/20/2022, 10:38 am

Ah, gotcha. Thanks.
goodtogrow
goodtogrow