Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Problems with coconut coir seed starters Toplef10Problems with coconut coir seed starters 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Problems with coconut coir seed starters I22gcj10Problems with coconut coir seed starters 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Problems with coconut coir seed starters Toplef10Problems with coconut coir seed starters 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Problems with coconut coir seed starters I22gcj10Problems with coconut coir seed starters 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/17/2024, 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

» Horsey poop
by MrBooker 2/29/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Problems with coconut coir seed starters

+4
jazzycat
Patty from Yorktown
littlejo
Jhooks
8 posters

Go down

Problems with coconut coir seed starters Empty Problems with coconut coir seed starters

Post  Jhooks 3/20/2013, 9:11 pm

Anyone having issues with seedlings grown in coconut coir pellets (Burpee)?My tomatoes and peppers look downright sickly compared to the ones I grew in the peat pellets (Jiffy). Is it me,or am I crazy? Both grown under the same T5 grow lights, heated mat, and watered at the same time.
Jhooks
Jhooks

Male Posts : 4

Back to top Go down

Problems with coconut coir seed starters Empty Re: Problems with coconut coir seed starters

Post  littlejo 3/20/2013, 9:44 pm

I've heard (not used myself) that they don't soak up the water as well as anything else. Try watering and let it be sure and soak into the coir.
Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Problems with coconut coir seed starters Empty Re: Problems with coconut coir seed starters

Post  Patty from Yorktown 3/20/2013, 9:57 pm

Hi,
I have had a similar problem with the coconut coir plugs. If you look under the seed section, you will find a post called
"coconut coir vs. peat plugs???" I got a wonderful answer to my problem from a fellow square foot gardener. I hope you find the response as helpful as I did.

Patty from Yorktown
Patty from Yorktown
Patty from Yorktown

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzycat 3/20/2013, 10:23 pm

Mine seem to be doing fine so far. Very nice growth. Very stout and sturdy plants.

The kit I bought has a self watering mat under the plants, so I haven't had to bother with wondering how water to give them. I really liked using this kit. I need to transplant them up, but I need more lights. We'll see how they do once I get them in compost.
jazzycat

Back to top Go down

Post  Jhooks 3/20/2013, 10:33 pm

Thanks Patty. Much appreciated
Jhooks
Jhooks

Back to top Go down

Problems with coconut coir seed starters Empty weird--I have the opposite situation

Post  Hardcoir 3/21/2013, 8:48 am

I have some seeds in peat pellets and some in coco coir mix. In my tomatoes, I had to transplant into bigger containers 10 days earlier than I had to for the peat pellets.

Also, I have both organic Jiffy Mix and organic Burpee's Mix Seed starting formula, and the Burpee's by far has produced better results.
Hardcoir
Hardcoir

Back to top Go down

Post  Windmere 3/21/2013, 10:12 am

Hardcoir wrote:
Also, I have both organic Jiffy Mix and organic Burpee's Mix Seed starting formula, and the Burpee's by far has produced better results.

Interesting about the Burpees Mix Seed starting. I need to look into that further. Thanks for mentioning your experience.
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Post  Jhooks 3/21/2013, 10:19 am

The seeds in the coir actually sprouted first but seemed to hit a wall. Peppers are turning yellowish and tomatoes are just not growing true leaves. Going to try a little science experiment and put a watered down organic fertilizer on half of them and see what happens. I suspect that's the issue. Learn something new every season.
Jhooks
Jhooks

Back to top Go down

Problems with coconut coir seed starters Empty Re: Problems with coconut coir seed starting

Post  GloriaG 3/21/2013, 5:15 pm

FWIW - In growing orchids for many years, I've learned a bit about using peat and coir.

Peat has better capillary action than coir - which means that water will distribute better in peat and it will dry-out more evenly. Whereas, water tends to gravitate to the bottom in coir. Therefore, seedlings planted in coir will have a greater tendency to "damp-off" or be over-watered as the top looks dry but the bottom of the pot remains wet. (Been there and done that!)

Peat is slightly more acidic than coir - therefore it should be better for tomato seedlings.

Neither peat or coir have any nutrient value unless it's been added by the manufacturer. Also, neither will "buffer" the effects of fertilizer added. Therefore, using a 1/4 strength mix of balanced liquid organic fertilizer regularly is better than adding a full or half-strength dose at one time.

Hope this helps!

GloriaG

Female Posts : 440

http://www.laketrailstudio.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dvelten 3/21/2013, 8:43 pm

Last year I used both Burpee Starting Mix in Jiffy strips and the Burpee plugs in their cell based starting kit. I had terrible results that I documented in a post on my blog. At the time I had no idea what was happening. I have lots of experience starting seeds in soil-less mixes based on peat and perlite (so does the entire greenhouse industry, which has been using peat/perlite mixes for 50 years).

When I discovered that both the Burpee mix and plugs used coir and not peat, I went looking for answers. I found a research paper that described what I experienced. For myself, I plan to avoid coir-based seed starting mixes in the future. If you had a good experience, good for you. That does not change what I and others have experienced using coir-based products. And product name contests mean nothing - both Burpee and Jiffy are offering coir-based mixes. You have to read the label to see what you are using.

jhooks, I agree, try some dilute organic fertilizer. I hope it works for you. It didn't for me, so I went nuclear and tried Miracle Grow. That didn't help either. The only thing that made a difference was transplanting into the garden so the roots could grow into the MM. For lettuce and endive/escarole, that worked. But the peppers and tomatoes, which had to stay inside longer, were permanently stunted and failed to produce after transplant.
dvelten
dvelten

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 155

http://davessfggarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jhooks 3/21/2013, 9:17 pm

Dvelton, thanks for the info. That research paper was very interesting. I could've taken a picture of my trays and put them right next to the ones in the paper. They looked exactly the same.
Jhooks
Jhooks

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down