Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Safe Canning - Debbie's Back Porch Toplef10Safe Canning - Debbie's Back Porch 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Safe Canning - Debbie's Back Porch I22gcj10Safe Canning - Debbie's Back Porch 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Safe Canning - Debbie's Back Porch Toplef10Safe Canning - Debbie's Back Porch 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Safe Canning - Debbie's Back Porch I22gcj10Safe Canning - Debbie's Back Porch 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Today at 3:36 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 3:16 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Today at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Today at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm Yesterday at 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Safe Canning - Debbie's Back Porch

3 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Safe Canning - Debbie's Back Porch Empty Safe Canning - Debbie's Back Porch

Post  sanderson 3/25/2022, 3:20 am

Another SFG gardener turned me on to to the Debbie's Back porch on Facebook. This is an excellent site to learn more about SAFE canning.  : https://www.facebook.com/groups/SafeCanningByTheBook

Debbie also has detailed videos on YouTube under "Debbie's Back Porch."

If the recipe isn't in a recent Ball or Bernardin book, further testing may have been conducted on an older recipe and deleted from safe canning. Don't use canning recipes found on this Forum, unless they are also found in the Ball/Bernadin books.

Pressure canning, water bath canning, steam canning, dehydrating, and freezing are ways to save some of the summer harvest for winter eating.  Any approved recipe that calls for water bathing, can be steam canned, as long as the instructions call for 45 minutes or less.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Scorpio Rising and WhiteWolf22 like this post

Back to top Go down

Safe Canning - Debbie's Back Porch Empty Safe Canning -Debbie's Back Porch

Post  WhiteWolf22 4/5/2022, 5:18 pm

The difference between canning in the late 1800s and now is remarkable!  I have a Bread & Butter Pickle recipe from my grandmother from 1894 and I still use it today with no problems. Biggest difference was the bath time.  It called for 35 minutes.  I didn't realize it was such an important thing.  I think my grandmother may have been the first person to come up with fusing.  They are the best Bread & Butter Pickles I've ever had!  However, when I used this recipe for a county fair entry, although it was best in taste and presentation, it got disqualified for the bath time.  It seems that the rules said that pickles can't be bathed for more than 10 or 15 minutes.  I can't say that the fair goers were concerned because I was selling quarts of them for $7.50 each after the fair!  I think the reason they taste better is because the cucumbers (National Picklers) and the spices (turmeric, mustard seed, celery seed and ground cloves), and the sliced onions and chopped red and green bell peppers, were more blended (fused) in flavor because of the longer bath time.  Except for the spices, everything was grown in my own garden.  All the vegies were put into a food grade 5-gallon bucket with pickling salt and ice overnight (covered) and then rinsed the next day - just rinsed (1 time) in a colander.  Now-a-days they want you to rinse the mixture several times.  I have an older Ball "Blue Book of Canning" and I can't believe the differences of canning now to what I learned from my grandmother and mother.  There are times when I think the old ways were better - sometimes you can take the simplest thing and complicate it so much that the old ways are forgotten or cast aside.  I still have my mother's pressure canner that has the old, weighted pressure gage.  Why?  Because the ones with the dial gage have to be recalibrated every 2 or 3 years.  It's getting harder to find the seals for the older ones, but you can find them if you look hard enough...thank God for search engines on computers!  Sorry, I didn't mean to be so long winded...
WhiteWolf22
WhiteWolf22

Female Posts : 21

ispinwool likes this post

Back to top Go down

Safe Canning - Debbie's Back Porch Empty Re: Safe Canning - Debbie's Back Porch

Post  sanderson 4/7/2022, 12:26 am

That recipe sounds good. Not an approved modern method, but tasty anyway.

Have you ever fermented pickles, like cabbage is fermented? I'm hoping to try this safe recipe this summer.
https://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_06/dill_pickles.html

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

WhiteWolf22 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  WhiteWolf22 4/7/2022, 9:56 pm

Have never done any type of fermenting but I know that you can't go to an auction in this state without finding half a dozen 10 to 20 gallon crocks.  I have a neighbor that tells me her childhood story of her and her mother making sauerkraut in these crocks.  She said the smell was terrible but the sauerkraut was Heaven.  My preservations are limited to canning in Standard Bath and Pressure Canners, Freezing, and Dehydration.  I'm going to try dehydrating cantaloupes this year.  I LOVE right-out-of-the-garden cantaloupes!  As far as I'm concerned, you can't find a decent cantaloupe in a grocery store anymore.  They are my favorite melon.  Last year I learned how to can watermelon rinds!  Didn't even know that existed!  A friend of mine (from Georgia) told me about it and I checked it out.  Nothing like using the entire melon to make something you can eat.  The only thing I've ever done with melons is freeze them in chunks.  Nice to learn at least one new thing every year.  For some reason, I have a terrible time growing lettuce!  I can grow Romaine, but lettuce like Butter Crunch or the standard heads of lettuce, I just can't get to grow.  I have the same problem with beets, but I can grow turnips and radishes with no problems.  Maybe my green thumbs aren't as green as I thought...
WhiteWolf22
WhiteWolf22

Female Posts : 21

ispinwool likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/11/2022, 8:15 pm

Some interesting canning talk was on another thread and I thought it should be placed under this thread.  Sometimes, we get off subject and the information gets buried.

Here is the "copied and pasted" dialogue:

sanderson wrote:Soose,  Check out this Facebook site: https://www.facebook.com/groups/SafeCanningByTheBook

Debbie also has detailed videos on YouTube under "Debbie's Back Porch."

If the recipe isn't in a recent Ball or Bernadin book, further testing may have been conducted on an older recipe and deleted from safe canning.  Don't use canning recipes found on this Forum, unless they are also found in the Ball/Bernadin books.

You are already used to dehydrating, now you can add canning and freezing.  I love my Food Saver vacuum sealer for freezing things that can't be canned safely, or if the frozen method produces a more palatable product than if it was pressure canned.  Think canned peas verses frozen peas! Shocked

Another SFG gardener turned me on to Debbie's Back porch. I love you  

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/11/2022, 8:20 pm

Soose wrote:Ty Sanderson.  I will check out Debbie's channel right away!  

I didn't realize until I watched the program this week that there were newer canning guidelines.   But it's been many many years or decades since I had heard our tomato varieties are less acidic nowadays. Whether that's accurate or not, it have me a sense of caution about blithely canning just any way.

I need a book!  (Which do you recommend?)  

And I bet my local cooperative extension agency will have more info as well.

Do you use both water bath and pressure canning?  I did jot down a list of what would be safe for each.

I need a vacuum sealer.  The reviews have given me pause. Recent models of previously reliable brands of all sorts of machines including the Food Savers seem to have problems.

Vac sealer bags are probably something to stock up on.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/11/2022, 8:24 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:Hi Soose, welcome!  I bought the Big Ball Book of canning.  I only water bath can, not pressure can so my items must be pickled, or made into jam, etc.  

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwi4_cfb2OH2AhXOKM0KHeV6DdkQFnoECBYQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FBall-Complete-Book-Home-Preserving%2Fdp%2F0778801314&usg=AOvVaw0D-AnabSOvY8agsxw17sXR

I love it!  Very helpful!

I freeze my squash. My kids got me a dehydrator for Christmas, so will play with that, too!

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/11/2022, 8:25 pm

Soose wrote:Ty Scorpio, I am going to order a Ball canning book.  Should be safe with them.
I am thinking I have not accumulated any where enough canning lids.  For dehydrating
and vac'ing, you can use older lids more than once.  For canning you have to use a brand new lid.
How did our ancestors survive?

I bought - or a friend bought for me - a 4 gallon crock for sauerkraut.  With plunger. 
Now I think I need other stuff to make sauerkraut?  I haven't even had a chance to look
at recipes.  All I've ever looked at was countertop sauerkraut used for a raw diet.

And I want to make pickled beets. 

I also picked up two of the smallest 1/2 gallon pump sprayers 
https://www.harborfreight.com/05-gallon-multi-purpose-sprayer-56167.html
and two of the regular liter hand spray bottles at Harbor Freight for garden use.
I had no idea what sizes to get.  These pump sprayers were on sale.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/11/2022, 8:27 pm

OhioGardener wrote:
Soose wrote: For canning you have to use a brand new lid. How did our ancestors survive?

Interesting question. As recent as my childhood, we grew up in rural America with no electricity and preservation of food was necessary for survival. When we butchered a cow or hog, the meat was salt cured to preserve it. Vegetables and fruit was canned in Ball jars with a glass lid and a new rubber seal. All were stored in a hand dug underground fruit cellar for the winter. Somewhere around the mid-50's the modern-day canning lids and bands were made available in our area. Around that same time REA brought electricity to our farm, with refrigerators and freezers to follow.  What a difference 80 years makes! Very Happy

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/11/2022, 8:28 pm

Frost? wrote:
Soose wrote:I bought - or a friend bought for me - a 4 gallon crock for sauerkraut.  With plunger. 
Now I think I need other stuff to make sauerkraut? 

Cabbage. tongue

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/11/2022, 8:29 pm

Soose wrote:
OhioGardener wrote:

Interesting question. As recent as my childhood, we grew up in rural America with no electricity and preservation of food was necessary for survival. ...
Ty, Ohiogardener.  I am not a Spring chicken myself.  I remember my grandmother poured hot paraffin on fruit preserves in mason jars.  (Safe?)  I'd forgotten the glass-lidded jars, and would not have known they require a new rubber gasket each time. Root cellars and cellars were common and lined with home canned jars. There was also an ice house down by the river, where my grandmother rented storage lockers -- I remember going to retrieve green beans. I remember her first refrigerator, and before that, the ice man dropping off a block for the old ice box, but I must have been very young for that. I wish I'd picked up more skills in food preservation than shelling beans and peeling pears.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/11/2022, 8:30 pm

quote="sanderson"]
Scorpio Rising wrote:Hi Soose, welcome!  I bought the Big Ball Book of canning.  I only water bath can, not pressure can so my items must be pickled, or made into jam, etc.  

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwi4_cfb2OH2AhXOKM0KHeV6DdkQFnoECBYQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FBall-Complete-Book-Home-Preserving%2Fdp%2F0778801314&usg=AOvVaw0D-AnabSOvY8agsxw17sXR

I love it!  Very helpful!

I freeze my squash. My kids got me a dehydrator for Christmas, so will play with that, too!
I think this book is the most recent.  I no longer pressure can because it was just too heavy.  Sold it for what I paid fort it. Razz Bought the Victorio steam canner, which can be used for anything that can be water bathed, as long as it is no longer than 45 minutes.  I have the simplest Food Saver for vacuum sealing for freezing.  And, a dehydrator on long term loan from my daughter.[/quote]

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/11/2022, 8:41 pm

sanderson wrote:
Soose wrote:. . . .  I am not a Spring chicken myself.  I remember my grandmother poured hot paraffin on fruit preserves in mason jars.  (Safe?)  I'd forgotten the glass-lidded jars, and would not have known they require a new rubber gasket each time..
Parafin is definitely a no no.  I also used to on pour hot paraffin on top of jams. Shocked   I think the glass jars with the rubber gasket is no longer consider safe.  But, reusable Tattler lids have been tested and are now on Debbie's approved list.  Debbie's FB page has good topics to preview.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/11/2022, 8:42 pm

sanderson wrote:
Soose wrote:  All I've ever looked at was countertop sauerkraut used for a raw diet.
Debbie's Back Porch has a video on making small batches of sauerkraut.  I make them in pint jars and store in the refrigerator.  They can also be water bathed or steam canned.

And I want to make pickled beets.
Me, too.  They have to be pickled, though, not fermented.  The only other thing that can be safely fermented are young cucumbers.  https://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_06/prep_foods.html

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/11/2022, 8:44 pm

lisawallace88 wrote:. . . Just checked and the rubber gaskets safe for both water bath and pressure canning!  Apparently the FDA recommends using a new ring each time....but it was ok for 100 years, so....do with that what you will Wink

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/11/2022, 8:45 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:Yeah, canning stuff….I just scored a bunch of lids.  And I was basically out of picking spice which I got some of.  Seems to be better now than in the 2020-2021.  Wow…

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/11/2022, 8:46 pm

Soose wrote:. . .
Scorpio Rising, what brand lids do you use, please?  And where ordered? Thanks.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/11/2022, 8:47 pm

OhioGardener wrote:. . .We stopped at Rural King and they had pallets of Ball canning jars, lids, and bands in middle of the aisle. So, we are now well stocked for the coming canning season.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/11/2022, 8:48 pm

Soose wrote:I like visiting Rural King. I just don't know how many lids to BUY as I've not canned.  I have only been dehydrating and vac packing in the mason jars so far.  I don't know if I'll have enough of a harvest to actually can anything but I have stocked up on mason jars, and built a shelf to hold them.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/11/2022, 8:49 pm

sanderson wrote:Can't go wrong with Ball/Kerr.  I would go with these now that they are back in stock.  Check Walmart.

Hopefully you bought the latest Ball Canning book(s) for safe canning. https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t23564-safe-canning-debbie-s-back-porch

Pur is made in China (they stepped up to fill the vacuum when everyone went crazy buying up supplies).  I can't remember the success/failure rate in forming a safe seal for Pur, nor for Golden Harvest.  I'll see if I can find the information.  Denali is also made in China.  Just because something is made in China doesn't mean they are inferior.  Found the Denali review by Debbie Seagraves. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESveBlJLnis

Anchor Hocking is supposed to have a high success rate in sealing.  However, one order had dings in over half of the lids and rings.  I suppose this could happen to any company, but to drop the ball on quality control after years of a good reputation isn't a good sign.

Here is the video review by Debbie Seagraves on Tattler lids. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5kYetXfl7o

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/11/2022, 8:50 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:I have Ball, but you are right!

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/11/2022, 8:51 pm

Soose wrote:
sanderson wrote:Hopefully you bought the latest Ball Canning book(s) for safe canning. https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t23564-safe-canning-debbie-s-back-porch
Sanderson, on your advice I went to Debbie's Back Porch.  I think she does not recommend the new Ball canning book anymore, and I saw reviews that consistently said it's changed, since some buy out.  Not sure when that was.  I did look for an older version but they go for an arm and a leg.  (If I went to estate sales I might find one.)

Anyway, Debbie's Back Porch pointed me to a book I bought from the cooperative extension at Uni of GA, "So Easy to Preserve." I have no idea how good it is or if the recipes are good.

I will watch for Ball lids.  (Again, just don't know how many to buy.)

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/11/2022, 8:52 pm

sanderson wrote:The title sounds familiar. Okay, bottom row, middle book. I believe Univ. of GA is the testing facility for approved recipes.  I also look online at NCHFP for recipes.

Safe Canning - Debbie's Back Porch Cannin19
Safe Canning - Debbie's Back Porch Cannin20

My book is 2013 so it's time to buy an update.  I think I will go with this one: https://www.amazon.com/Ball-Blue-Book-Guide-Preserving/dp/0972753745

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/11/2022, 8:52 pm

OhioGardener wrote:Dave's Garden newsletter this week has a couple interesting articles on food preservation that many may find interesting.

Creating a Summer Produce Preservation Plan

Eliminate Fruit and Vegetable Waste and Preserve the Bounty

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/11/2022, 8:53 pm