Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Cleaning and whitewashing of fruit tree trunks Toplef10Cleaning and whitewashing of fruit tree trunks 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Cleaning and whitewashing of fruit tree trunks I22gcj10Cleaning and whitewashing of fruit tree trunks 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Cleaning and whitewashing of fruit tree trunks Toplef10Cleaning and whitewashing of fruit tree trunks 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Cleaning and whitewashing of fruit tree trunks I22gcj10Cleaning and whitewashing of fruit tree trunks 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Cleaning and whitewashing of fruit tree trunks

Go down

Cleaning and whitewashing of fruit tree trunks Empty Cleaning and whitewashing of fruit tree trunks

Post  Kay Burton 3/26/2020, 9:19 am

I clean bark in September only on old trees. Young fruit ones do not need this procedure. I want to note that the bark peels off more easily after a long rain - it swells and becomes malleable.
I spread a dense sheet of tarpaulin under the tree. You can use other materials - wrap, roofing, burlap. It is necessary to ensure a good fit of the panel to the trunk without gaps. Moreover, the radius of the coating should be a meter and a half from the barrel. I use a special plastic scraper for cleaning. A metal spatula or wire brush for metal is also suitable for this purpose. I tear off the bark from top to bottom in small sections. In the process, you need to carefully monitor so that the living layer is not damaged, otherwise the tree will hurt. After all the old bark is removed, I collect the cleanings from the litter and burn them.
The main goal of whitewashing trunks is to protect trees from frost and sunburn, as well as prevention against wintering pests and pores of fungi.
Most likely is the occurrence of frost pits from January to the end of March. The temperature difference at night and day during this period can be up to 10 degrees. As a result, cracks appear in the cortex. At first they are small, but expand and deepen very quickly. Over time, the bark dies and exfoliates. If the trunk is hit by frost holes in a ring or over a large area, there is a high risk of infection of the tree with black cancer. In this case, the tree withers and dies over time. On the sunny and shadow side of the trunk in the early spring, temperature differences also have a large range (up to 15 degrees). As a result of this, untreated trunks and branches often cause sunburn. Young and weakened trees in the garden are most prone to burns. To protect trees from frost, I spend whitewashing trunks in the fall - in October-November. I’ll orient myself on the weather - I need to be in time before the onset of steady frost. If the trees are whitened too early (in September), the entire protective layer will be washed away by autumn rains. In late February or early March, I update the whitewash so that it serves as a reliable protection against the bright spring sun. With the first heat, harmful insects wintering on the trunk begin to wake up - a layer of whitewashing will help to cope with them.
Kay Burton
Kay Burton

Male Posts : 13

Back to top Go down