Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
?? Fruit tree care for fall and winter Toplef10?? Fruit tree care for fall and winter 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

?? Fruit tree care for fall and winter I22gcj10?? Fruit tree care for fall and winter 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
?? Fruit tree care for fall and winter Toplef10?? Fruit tree care for fall and winter 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

?? Fruit tree care for fall and winter I22gcj10?? Fruit tree care for fall and winter 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener Today at 4:45 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 10:19 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

?? Fruit tree care for fall and winter

4 posters

Go down

?? Fruit tree care for fall and winter Empty ?? Fruit tree care for fall and winter

Post  FamilyGardening 9/17/2013, 2:27 pm

This is our first fall and winter for our new fruit trees.....a in ground peach...a 4 way apple and two cherries in wine barrels.......

our plum tree was here before we bought our home 17 years ago and we haven't done much with it as it hasn't seem to need anything....but a little bit of pruning here and there and each year we dump compost tea that's left over from gardening ......

so my question is.......is there anything special you do for your fruit trees in the fall/winter?.....any advice?

our peach tree gave us three wonderful fruit this year Very Happy 

apple and cherry trees flowered and have put on a lot of new growth but no fruit....which we expected since they were just put in this year.....

plum tree..... we are just now harvesting .....lots of fruit again this year.....last year it was over a 100 pounds worth of fruit Very Happy 

thanks, and happy gardening
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

?? Fruit tree care for fall and winter Empty Re: ?? Fruit tree care for fall and winter

Post  Triciasgarden 9/17/2013, 3:07 pm

My plum tree is about 15 years old.  I love that tree!  I don't do anything with any of my fruit trees for the winter.  I did have them pruned in February or March.  I have a plum tree, a pear tree and a apricot tree, all I planted myself.  I love the idea of dumping compost tea!  I hadn't thought of that.
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

?? Fruit tree care for fall and winter Empty Re: ?? Fruit tree care for fall and winter

Post  plantoid 9/17/2013, 6:28 pm

Sometimes it's recommended to spray the various trees with a bug repellent or wash  that knocks over wintering bugs & viruses that damage the tree on the head so the tree can safely over winter.

I'd look up the average productive life of your plum tree etc. .

Sometimes it's a good idea to get cropping replacements in hand several years before the original ones become unproductive or when you have to do some drastic pruning/ grafting  to kick start the old roots .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 9/17/2013, 6:44 pm

Rose, Paul from the BTE garden prunes his in January. He says to prune heavily in order to get more fruit. No branches should cross over our touch. He says the openings should be big enough to through a cat through! LOL! He does his in January, because that's when it's convenient for him Smile good luck!
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 9/17/2013, 10:13 pm

Plantoid those are some good suggestions (as always), I think it would be good for all of us to check with our extension services to see what they recommend.
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 9/18/2013, 3:20 pm

southern gardener wrote:Rose, Paul from the BTE garden prunes his in January. He says to prune heavily in order to get more fruit. No branches should cross over our touch. He says the openings should be big enough to through a cat through!  LOL! He does his in January, because that's when it's convenient for him Smile good luck!
If memory serves me correctly pruning the plum tree when the sap is rising is supposed to be better as the sap/resin seals & helps disinfect  the cut , whereas if you do it in winter or as the sap is draining down water can get in and infection develops.  It used to need various sealing compounds to be painted over the wound.

It also depends on the type of tree you want to prune as to the time you prune it in your local climate.

Some trees are already sending out, "  develop bud messages " , even in deepest winter.

Do check carefully as many a tree is ruined for years by pruning at the wrong time.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 9/18/2013, 3:57 pm

plantoid wrote:
southern gardener wrote:Rose, Paul from the BTE garden prunes his in January. He says to prune heavily in order to get more fruit. No branches should cross over our touch. He says the openings should be big enough to through a cat through!  LOL! He does his in January, because that's when it's convenient for him Smile good luck!
If memory serves me correctly pruning the plum tree when the sap is rising is supposed to be better as the sap/resin seals & helps disinfect  the cut , whereas if you do it in winter or as the sap is draining down water can get in and infection develops.  It used to need various sealing compounds to be painted over the wound.

It also depends on the type of tree you want to prune as to the time you prune it in your local climate.

Some trees are already sending out, "  develop bud messages " , even in deepest winter.

Do check carefully as many a tree is ruined for years by pruning at the wrong time.
Thanks Plantoid. When we visited Paul, one of the people on the "tour" asked about pruning and various times etc etc. He said he is always told he's doing it "wrong", wrong time of the year, trimming the 'wrong" branches etc etc, but boy is his orchard amazing! The branches are loaded with fruit. There is more fruit than leaves on some of his trees. He also pointed out he never seals the wounds or anything. He says he feels it would seal IN any problems. I really don't know anything about any of this stuff, but all I can say is he's really got something going right!!
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down