Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Espalier / High density fruit tree planting Toplef10Espalier / High density fruit tree planting 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Espalier / High density fruit tree planting I22gcj10Espalier / High density fruit tree planting 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Espalier / High density fruit tree planting Toplef10Espalier / High density fruit tree planting 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Espalier / High density fruit tree planting I22gcj10Espalier / High density fruit tree planting 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Espalier / High density fruit tree planting

+5
ericam
Unmutual
Lavender Debs
sfg4uKim
Laurie Lou
9 posters

Go down

Espalier / High density fruit tree planting Empty Espalier / High density fruit tree planting

Post  Laurie Lou 3/9/2012, 7:35 am

Do any of you have hands-on, personal experience with espaliering trees (not tomato plants or vines) or with high density fruit tree planting? The only espalier I have ever seen in person was on a field trip to Mount Vernon--George had some in his 'garden'. Everything else that I have found is 'how to start' as opposed to 'this is a successful example'. Soooo, what's the scoop?
Laurie Lou
Laurie Lou

Female Posts : 21

Back to top Go down

Espalier / High density fruit tree planting Empty Re: Espalier / High density fruit tree planting

Post  sfg4uKim 3/9/2012, 7:53 am

I saw this A LOT when I lived in Europe (pear tree on the front of a restaurant arching over the door surrounded by cobble stone street, etc.) and would LOVE to do it with the dwarf fruit trees I just ordered.

Hope you get lots of answers.

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

Espalier / High density fruit tree planting WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Espalier / High density fruit tree planting Empty Re: Espalier / High density fruit tree planting

Post  Lavender Debs 3/9/2012, 8:06 am

My 6 type apple tree is espaliered. I am wishing my pear tree was too. The tree is only 3 or 4 years old and we have been getting fruit from it every year but not a lot because it is young. I see lots of small orchards going this direction. They all look like they get enough fruit to stay in business.

I like mine because #1 it is kewl. When there are apples hanging from it like ornaments peeps want to stop and talk about it. After that, it does not make much shade in my postage stamp farm where I try to make the best use of every element I can. If I start spilling into my front yard I will use espaliered trees there.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Unmutual 3/9/2012, 12:34 pm

I have(in suburban backyard, which is not huge maybe 50ftx25ft): lemon, satsuma, blood orange, grapefruit, fig, plum and banana. Along with some blackberries, raspberries and grapes. (and also 2 4'x16' , 1 4'x8' and 1 4'x4' SFG bed) I'm thinking about doing an espalier fence in the front yard, maybe next year, so I have seen a couple examples in person and have done some research.

I guess it really depends on what form you want to do the espalier. If you want to make a fence, then you'll have to read up on grafting(just a little, apparently they somewhat do it themselves if you give them a helping hand). If you just want to do some fancy two-dimensional artwork with them, then all you need are wires to train the branches. Once the tree is trained, the fence or wires can come down. After that, it's just a matter of pruning(knowing what to prune and when to prune are important). I probably over-simplified this, because it can be time consuming and can require lots of patience.
Unmutual

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 396

Back to top Go down

Post  ericam 3/9/2012, 5:02 pm

Just make sure you get the right variety of tree. My sister found out recently that some of her apple trees aren't going to work very well as espalliers because of their growth type.

I can't remember the terminology at the moment but some trees put out new growth, or maybe it was fruit, only from the tips so when you prune you stop new growth so they are not suitable for espalliering. The right sort put out new growth and fruit from along the branches.
ericam
ericam

Female Posts : 283

Back to top Go down

Espalier / High density fruit tree planting Empty Espallier in Williamsburg, VA

Post  sfg4uKim 3/25/2012, 5:07 pm

I was in Williamsburg this week and thought of you when I saw these at the "palace".

Espalier / High density fruit tree planting Img_5310

Espalier / High density fruit tree planting Img_5311

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

Espalier / High density fruit tree planting WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 3/25/2012, 6:05 pm

I love it!! In my garden.... someday..... Rolling Eyes

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Espalier / High density fruit tree planting WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Daniel9999 3/25/2012, 6:56 pm

If you interested in espaliered trees you might wanna take a look at columnar apples.

They are bit simpler and more a affordable for the home gardener.

Daniel9999
Daniel9999

Back to top Go down

Post  MsMinchin 3/26/2012, 11:07 pm

Hi Laurie! I'm trying espalier this year for the first time. I'll be planting 6 dwarf pear trees in a Belgian fence pattern on my property line between my neighbor's house and mine. I have never done this but have been researching it since last year.

I fell in love with this pattern I found in my web research:
Espalier / High density fruit tree planting Espali11

And I found a good tutorial here:
http://www.cultivatinglife.com/Making-a-Belgian-Fence.html

There are tons of examples of finished products online if you Google "Espalier", or "Espalier apple" or whichever fruit you are interested in. I've gotten a few books on fruit trees, topiary and pruning which include a lot of detail on which trees work best for which forms and patterns you are interested in. Apples and Pears are the best for espalier because the fruit is grown on spurs. Apples can take pretty much any shape. Pears, peaches and cherries can be espaliered but mainly only in the fan form.

I decided to grow pears because I love these so much more than apples, but I have also ordered a pair of columnar apples. I have dwarf bing cherry trees, and a dwarf peach and nectarine coming as well. I got them from miller nurseries for my birthday present to myself and they should be coming any day now.
MsMinchin
MsMinchin

Female Posts : 69

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 3/27/2012, 5:52 am

MsMin, where are you ordering your fruit trees from?

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Espalier / High density fruit tree planting WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  bwaynef 3/27/2012, 7:23 am

Camprn wrote:MsMin, where are you ordering your fruit trees from?
MsMinchin wrote:I got them from miller nurseries for my birthday present to myself and they should be coming any day now.
bwaynef
bwaynef

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down