Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
July 2019 Northern and Central Midwest –SUMMER!!! - Page 3 Toplef10July 2019 Northern and Central Midwest –SUMMER!!! - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

July 2019 Northern and Central Midwest –SUMMER!!! - Page 3 I22gcj10July 2019 Northern and Central Midwest –SUMMER!!! - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
July 2019 Northern and Central Midwest –SUMMER!!! - Page 3 Toplef10July 2019 Northern and Central Midwest –SUMMER!!! - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

July 2019 Northern and Central Midwest –SUMMER!!! - Page 3 I22gcj10July 2019 Northern and Central Midwest –SUMMER!!! - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

July 2019 Northern and Central Midwest –SUMMER!!!

+4
sanderson
OhioGardener
nrstooge
Scorpio Rising
8 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

July 2019 Northern and Central Midwest –SUMMER!!! - Page 3 Empty Re: July 2019 Northern and Central Midwest –SUMMER!!!

Post  OhioGardener 7/22/2019, 8:17 am

Scorpio Rising wrote:Love your Siamese cukes, OG!

And nice beets!  Do you pickle them?

Yes, we do pickle them. Love pickled beets on salads.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4517

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

July 2019 Northern and Central Midwest –SUMMER!!! - Page 3 Empty Re: July 2019 Northern and Central Midwest –SUMMER!!!

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/22/2019, 7:07 pm

OhioGardener wrote:
Scorpio Rising wrote:Love your Siamese cukes, OG!

And nice beets!  Do you pickle them?

Yes, we do pickle them. Love pickled beets on salads.
I think next year I will grow some red beets to pickle, this year I am experimenting with a golden beet, because I am not a big “earthy” fan of the dark red beets....but I do love pickled.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 7/23/2019, 11:40 am

Think it is time to make some more Pickled Jalapeno Peppers.  The gardens are at their peak production right now. The weekly harvest of the Rainbow Chard is amazing.

Lots of Jalapeno Peppers to can.
July 2019 Northern and Central Midwest –SUMMER!!! - Page 3 Pepper23

Rainbow Chard was part of today's harvest
July 2019 Northern and Central Midwest –SUMMER!!! - Page 3 Swiss_12

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/23/2019, 6:23 pm

Nice, OG!  Also a nice break from the deep heat we have been in lately.  Opened the windows last night and as I type this.  

Need to put in some more cilantro and my basil has bolted.   Wink
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 7/23/2019, 8:35 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:Nice, OG!  Also a nice break from the deep heat we have been in lately.  Opened the windows last night and as I type this.  

Need to put in some more cilantro and my basil has bolted.   Wink

Yes, it is great having some cool weather! Down in the mid-50's tonight, and high in the mid-70's tomorrow. I can deal with that!  Very Happy 

I have been continually snipping out the tops of the basil to keep it from bolting to flowers.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 7/23/2019, 8:37 pm

Mrs OG canned 6 pints of Bread & Butter Pickles today. There as about a half-pint left over, and they were delicious even without the aging!

July 2019 Northern and Central Midwest –SUMMER!!! - Page 3 Bread_10

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/23/2019, 8:43 pm

Loves me some bread and butter!  I have been pinching off the flowers of my basil, but it does taste different....I think I will do a second grow of cilantro and basil?  I have done cilantro before...it’s only July!?  Cool
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

July 2019 Northern and Central Midwest –SUMMER!!! - Page 3 Empty HELP

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/25/2019, 8:28 pm

OK, surprise; went out after work to get a cuke that I spied while mowing yesterday and found that the onions were done.  Pulled all 20 Candy Amish onions...no idea what to do now?  

I have never grown onions...do I cure them?  I assume so????

Anyways some are nice sized, some are small...the biggest is 2.5” diameter...I probably have 3 of those .
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 7/25/2019, 9:11 pm

Nice! We cure the largest ones to use later for slicing onions, and we dice up the smaller ones and freeze them to use in cooking.

There is a good article on curing & storing onions on Gardener's Supply page:

https://www.gardeners.com/how-to/harvest-cure-store-onions/7366.html

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/25/2019, 10:17 pm

Thanks, OG!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 7/26/2019, 5:36 pm

Picked the 4th and final batch of green beans today.  The beans were done, with no more blooms, so I cut them off at the ground, added some fresh compost, rock dust, and worm castings to the soil, worked it in, and planted a new batch of Blue Lake Bush Bean seeds - 9 squares with 9 seeds per square. We have harvested 28# of beans off of the first planting. 

July 2019 Northern and Central Midwest –SUMMER!!! - Page 3 Green_14

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 7/26/2019, 5:46 pm

Harvested the carrots today. The Baker Creek Purple Dragon Carrots were really productive, and we had an excellent harvest of them.  The Danvers Half Long were good, but not as productive as the Purple Dragon.  After all of the carrots were pulled, I refreshed the soil with fresh compost, rock dust, gypsum, and some worm castings, and worked it in. Then, planted some more carrot seeds for the fall harvest.

Purple Dragon Carrots
July 2019 Northern and Central Midwest –SUMMER!!! - Page 3 Purple10

Danvers Half Long Carrots
July 2019 Northern and Central Midwest –SUMMER!!! - Page 3 Danver10

One of the carrots was planted next to a pepper stalk/root that was left over from last year with didn't completely decompose, and it decided to grow around it.
July 2019 Northern and Central Midwest –SUMMER!!! - Page 3 Carrot13

July 2019 Northern and Central Midwest –SUMMER!!! - Page 3 Carrot14

July 2019 Northern and Central Midwest –SUMMER!!! - Page 3 Carrot15

A couple carrot seeds were apparently placed next to each other, and they decided to grow together.
July 2019 Northern and Central Midwest –SUMMER!!! - Page 3 Carrot17

July 2019 Northern and Central Midwest –SUMMER!!! - Page 3 Carrot16

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/26/2019, 5:51 pm

Carrots, love them!  Will do a fall planting of those too this weekend!  

Nice!  I didn’t plant my purple pole beans this year, the Japanese Beetles are just so bad, but I ordered Dragon Tongue beans from Baker Creek to try, JBs getting on the downhill slope....

Also plan to fill in a few other squares and weed!  And of course, water 🚿

Last edited by Scorpio Rising on 7/26/2019, 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Didn’t see the carrots!)
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  RJARPCGP 7/26/2019, 6:04 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote: the Japanese Beetles are just so bad
QFT! I heard from one of my family members that Japanese beetles are all over one of the roses and right outside of the Greenfield, Massachusetts Applebee's, Japanese beetles were landing on me.
RJARPCGP
RJARPCGP

Male Posts : 352

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 7/27/2019, 1:57 pm

Canned four pints of Jalapeno Peppers today.  Kept the big ones for Poppers...  Very Happy

July 2019 Northern and Central Midwest –SUMMER!!! - Page 3 Jalape16

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/27/2019, 7:53 pm

RJARPCGP wrote:
QFT! I heard from one of my family members that Japanese beetles are all over one of the roses and right outside of the Greenfield, Massachusetts Applebee's, Japanese beetles were landing on me.
Yeah...just not into the whole thing...I hate them.  They decimated the strawberry plants after they were done bearing.  Hopefully they will be on the down-slope because I am gonna try the dragon Tongue bush beans...we will see?

Picked cukes, a zuke, a couple Jalapeño peppers, cherry tomatoes, and 2 kohlrabi.  Made kebabs for supper, yummy, all good!  Like the Birdseye Cauli rice stuff...it’s really good.  

I have 9 open squares, with seeds on the way!  cheers
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 7/27/2019, 8:49 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:
RJARPCGP wrote:
Yeah...just not into the whole thing...I hate them.  They decimated the strawberry plants after they were done bearing.  Hopefully they will be on the down-slope because I am gonna try the dragon Tongue bush beans...we will see?

I put down GrubGone on 2 acres of lawn and gardens last fall, and we had almost no Japanese Beetles this year. The few we had flew in from the neighbors, but they all landed on a batch of Evening Primrose (one of their favorite plants), and I was able to knock them into a pail of soapy water each evening so that they would not be able to go out the next day and lay more eggs.  Hopefully the GrubGone will continue destroying any grubs that do develop in the ground - can't afford to put it down every year.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/28/2019, 10:22 am

OhioGardener wrote:
Scorpio Rising wrote:
RJARPCGP wrote:

I put down GrubGone on 2 acres of lawn and gardens last fall, and we had almost no Japanese Beetles this year. The few we had flew in from the neighbors, but they all landed on a batch of Evening Primrose (one of their favorite plants), and I was able to knock them into a pail of soapy water each evening so that they would not be able to go out the next day and lay more eggs.  Hopefully the GrubGone will continue destroying any grubs that do develop in the ground - can't afford to put it down every year.
I will give that a try, OG.  I have done grub treatment before and didn’t really see a diff.  Can’t hurt.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  RJARPCGP 7/29/2019, 10:08 pm

My father today, said that he (unless it was my brother-in-law or whoever) kept having to pick Japanese beetles off of the plants.

There was a Japanese beetle on my left leg, IIRC, right outside of the Walpole, New Hampshire Jiffy Mart.
RJARPCGP
RJARPCGP

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/30/2019, 6:06 pm

RJARPCGP wrote:My father today, said that he (unless it was my brother-in-law or whoever) kept having to pick Japanese beetles off of the plants.

There was a Japanese beetle on my left leg, IIRC, right outside of the Walpole, New Hampshire Jiffy Mart.
Uggh!  I hate them!   Evil or Very Mad
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 7/30/2019, 9:33 pm

RJARPCGP wrote:My father today, said that he (unless it was my brother-in-law or whoever) kept having to pick Japanese beetles off of the plants.

We have friends in Walpole,. NH ... Dr. S. Pena (chiropractor) and family.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/31/2019, 7:24 pm

Saw my first glimpse of PM on a squash plant today.  I knew it would come due to the rain and moisture level.  Have powdered milk for spray in the ready!  Got this!  ( I hope). 

Also picked 2 more tiger zucchini.  They are so pretty!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 7/31/2019, 8:21 pm

Today I cleaned out one section of a raised bed that had leaf lettuce, radishes, and spinach.  After refreshing it with compost and rock dust, I planted fall seeds of lettuce, carrots, Sora & Summer Daikon radishes, and perpetual spinach. As our summer heat starts cooling down, the new plants will be ready to take off.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  RJARPCGP 7/31/2019, 10:06 pm

I saw a Japanese beetle inside the Charlestown, New Hampshire Dollar General today.
There seems to be a lot of them in 2019.
RJARPCGP
RJARPCGP

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/31/2019, 10:28 pm

OG, I too have plans for some fall plantings...I am gonna do carrots, your Perpetual Spinach, chard and sora (thanks for the tips!). 

RJ, those things are just off the charts and have been for years...if not decades.  No natural predators (Thanks for introducing non-native species ). This never works...think kudzu, etc.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3